SkipTheDishes Employee Reviews

Simple second job
Driver/Delivery (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 December 2017
I'm not sure why everyone on here complains about low earnings. In a 3 to 4 hour shift I typically earn $70 - $100. Doing this job is not rocket science, it's the easiest way I've ever earned extra money on top of my regular job. From my very first shift I thought the whole thing was brilliantly set up. Pick your hours and do your deliveries. Yes it's that simple.
Pros
Flexible and decent income
Cons
Winter driving sucks. It slows down the number of deliveries i can make.
enjoyable job i ever did
Driver/Delivery (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON21 December 2017
most enjoyable job lots of things to learn and also get chance to meet new people with different cultures and also a source of knowledge to know about the culture and the traditional food of different countries
Messy Environment
Live Support (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 December 2017
Worked for a month doing short shifts several times a week, but then randomly started being scheduled for 13 hour shifts every day despite making it clear that I was a student who needed time for class and SLEEP. Then about two months into employment, stopped being scheduled period... still employed there but havent received a response to either my emails nor my phone calls in over 3 months.
Pros
Cons
Long (illegal) shifts
Not worth the gas money
Courier Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 December 2017
This job caused a lot of wear and tear on my car, as well as makin me have to pay $60 in gas every day that i’m working. I had some trouble with the app, as well as being sent to a restaurant, and then getting there to find the order had dissapeared from my jobs list (no compensation was given for the gas and time I spent on these orders to receive $0.

However, you can bring friends with you to make the job easier and faster, the schedules are very flexible, and you can get to know a lot of new restaurants in your city.
Pros
Can bring friends, flexible hours
Cons
VERY low pay
Good for part time/ extra money
Courier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 November 2017
Worked here for 5 months in Calgary.

- Only days worth working are Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.
- Their app is pretty reliable and simple to use
- Dispatch and call center seem to be run by 18-25 year olds who don't seem to care too much
- Be quiet and don't complain to dispatch or they will give you no deliveries/ ones with little to no tips
- Be wary of your reimbursements for waiting at restaurants, often they will not calculate them properly or not give you them at all
- Average between $60/$100 for a 3-4 hour shift
- Easy to get rid of shifts, schedule and pick-up shifts if you're bored
- 2000-3000km per month on your vehicle working 20 hours a week
- Paid every week which is nice
- Not every customer tips well and is nice so be prepared to smile anyway

Overall a relaxed job but it will put a ton of kilometers on your vehicle. Good for extra income or those who are having a hard time finding employment.
Pros
Easy to get hired, Relaxing, Good scheduling
Cons
Dispatch typically isn't useful or nice, WATCH your reimbursements, Lots of kilometers
Good ideas, but not keeping up with the exponential growth
Live Support (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 November 2017
This job would be great for someone fresh out of high school. However, there are plenty of problems as they seem unable to keep up with the growth of their network. They seem to be organized yet I talked to many customers who had issues that were never addressed. There is also a definite lack of adequate communication between some departments, which I found odd since the technology is there to smoothly communicate. "Flexible scheduling" means that if you have open availability expect to work evenings/nights a lot. The pay is not competitive. The parking situation makes it even less competitive when you are paying $200 a month to park. The benefits are not good either. That being said, management, while sometimes not experienced enough, is usually pretty good. And there are some definite stand out team leads that deserve a standing ovation for how hard they work. It can also be a fun environment. The time typically goes back quickly. As I said, it's a good first job, but if you have experience don't bother because you will end up frustrated.
Pros
Good team leaders, great coworkers, always busy
Cons
Pay and benefits are not competitive, poor communication, general confusion during busy times
Total rip off
courier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 November 2017
so iv been doing this for 4 months now part time and by part time i mean 7-10 shifts a week of 4-8 hours a day. after working out my net profit ( after tax, gas, data used for maps) it averages to about 3-7$ an hour. plus the amount of extra miles on your car and depreciation you incur becuase of it. your essentially working for the sake of working. is your time worth 5$/hour?
Pros
Cons
everything
Worst Dispatcher... So rude.
Courier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 November 2017
When you are on job the least thing you want your dispatcher to being an as. If you say no to a job because it's a less pay. He gives you sht on that plus stop giving you new orders. I hate the system where we have to coordinate with dispatcher. It should be simple delivery from pick up to drop off. No middle man like dispatcher. Plus they should increase the job pay like Uber Eats Because the gas prices are rising day by day in Ontario they need to understand that.
Pros
Flexible hours.
Cons
Less pay
You might want to SKIP...Skip the dishes
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC4 November 2017
There is a reason everyday in Vancouver(probably most other cities) the radio airwaves are full of Skipthedishes,ads recruiting food delivery drivers. The promise of a flexible schedule and paid weekly sounds great. And yes it is true, but the bottom line is you are lucky to make the minimum wage.

You are not an employee you are an independent contractor. So you are responsible for taxes paid, you car costs, fuel , insurance and repair and incidentals like parking meters.

Not every customer tips and most are not overly generous with tips. The fee you make for deliveries is very low and most times hardly covers your cost of driving from your location , to the restaurant and
then to the customer. Then there is your time. You actually never get compensated for it.

Management is young and suspect. You are not well treated and really there are no benefits working with skip.
Cons
horrible salary
love/hate relationship
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 November 2017
you pick your hours, its very easy to drop shifts and some people tip really well. most people tip not much and its a far drive and a bad building to park at and they dont give the buzzer and arent answering the phone and youre waiting in the cold holding a bunch of food that you made like $6 on and wasted 45 minutes and a bunch of gas. but its ok.

Want to know more about SkipTheDishes?

Ask a question
Better off with Pizza Pizza or Domino's
Food Courier (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON26 October 2017
No minimum wage, no insurance coverage, not worth it.
Pizza places normally pay an hourly wage plus something for each delivery and you get to keep your tips usually paid DAILY IN CASH!
Cons
too many couriers in calgary
Driver (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 October 2017
they have flooded Calgary with too many couriers, now getting a pickup is like winning the lottery. you will be lucky to make 60$ in an entire day minus gas expenses. I spend 80% of my shift waiting for a pickup. the more couriers there are the less money you make. not worth it.
Pros
no bosses
Cons
not good pay, wear on car
Solid
Courier (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB22 October 2017
Not great for full-time, but excellent for people looking to earn some spare cash here and there. The worst part of the whole thing is the app is poorly designed however (barely) functional.
Pros
any hours, can bring friends, fair pay in general
Cons
wear and tear on vehicle, cell data use, restaurants wait times
Good way to earn money when unemployed or need a flexible part time job
COURIER (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 October 2017
This job is for people who are struggling finding a job at the moment or for those people who needs a flexible job. Being able to pick your own shift and choosw when you work has been really helpful. Its great if you have a fulltime job and is looking to make extra money.

Downside for this is you cant make this into a fulltime. If no one orders, you dont get money. Not reccomended for people whos looking for an actual job.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
No orders, no job
Low pay. Avoid.
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 October 2017
Been working for these guys for a month now. The app is reasonably well organized. Call centre support is friendly enough. Flexibility is nice.

Pay is very low.

The base per-delivery fees don't cover minimum wage, leaving you relying on tips. In a sprawling city like Calgary, a deliveries can take a while because of how far away people are from the restaurant they order from. In a 3-hour shift, I usually get 5 deliveries, which pay between $5 and $9 per delivery AFTER tips. And then I go pay for gas and wear on my vehicle.

I've been told the call centre in Winnipeg pays minimum wage, so the guys answering phones are doing better than the drivers, but not much.

Best to avoid working for these guys until they can at least offer minimum wage.
Pros
Flexable schedule. Okay app organization. Okay support.
Cons
Earnings often below minimum wage. No compensation for gas. No compensation for milage. Avoid.
Dont work with them
Food Courier (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON4 September 2017
Very rude chat staff. you can not rely on how many orders you can get. you might get 2 order one Saturday and get back to back order next Saturday. This job doesn't have a reliable income.
Pros
you can be your own boss
Cons
very rude chat staff
Worst Employer in Grande Prairie
Courier (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB28 August 2017
They should just name themselves SkipTheService....

MANY times will operators screw up order #'s or give you the incorrect delivery information.

Late because of traffic? Call support line for help with directions? Too bad! get ready to be sidelined for the rest of the night. Or watch Operators hand pick the worst deliveries possible.

Avoid this terrible, TERRIBLE company at all costs!
Pros
Flexible?
Cons
Literally everything else
Flexible hours but very poor management
Courier Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON28 August 2017
I worked for these guys for about 2 months, started out ok in the beginning as i delivered in the city where I live but as they add new cities around mine to their company they would send me deliveries that would mean me driving to the next city over and delivering back to my own city and most time it was for very little money, when you refuse then they play games and act like spoiled brats, not giving you any calls for the rest of your shift. Save yourself the hassle and frustration, get a hourly paying delivery job.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
low pay/poor operators
Find something else
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 August 2017
You will never know your supervisors, they will never know you.
They will leave you hanging out to dry, and when you try and contact them, they will be silent.
It could be good work, but to management, drivers are NOTHING, and get treated as such. Know your city well, know your route well, because sometimes you will be on your own with hot food, and sometimes no way to contact the client (because they won't answer their phone) See if a delivery like that, which pays $3.74 is worth it.
Pros
make your own schedule
Cons
low pay, very little help from dispatch
Get Delivery Insurance
Courier (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC2 August 2017
There are enough reviews here from couriers that I don't have much to add there except to comment on the insurance issue. If you are doing deliveries with your car, you must have delivery insurance. It takes no more than telling your broker to change the rate group to delivery and paying a slightly higher premium. Otherwise, no, of course, your vehicle would be rated for leisure and to-from an office so you could end up being very very sorry. There's a big difference when you are putting 100 km on your car every day vs. commuting 5 km each way to work.
Pros
Generally flexible
Cons
Couriers are treated like commodities, but this is improving a bit.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SkipTheDishes. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8