The Skeetchestn Indian Band is a rural First Nation Community located approximately 60 kilometers West of Kamloops, British Columbia. The Band strives to support and progress the Membership and Community members while preserving its cultural and traditional values. Skeetchestn Indian Band fosters a collaborative Culture; Open, Friendly, Team-Based, Participative, Consensus Driven. Our school offers Kindergarten through Grade 12, it accommodates 30-50 students. The school contains a total of five classrooms; a gymnasium and washroom/shower facilities; a library/resource centre; a multi-purpose classroom for Native language and special education uses; administration and staff rooms.
The position is an integral part of the School team and has the responsibility for being the instructional leader in the administrative office of the school; responsible for the organization and operation of the school; supervision of all teachers, aides, support staff (Staff of 12 approx.) The Principal is responsible for management of the school overall operations, budget and expenditures, ensuring a safe, caring and respectful learning environment that reflects Skeetchestn Community values, culture and traditions.
The ideal Candidate for this position will possess superior management and interpersonal skills, providing strategic leadership with the ability to coach, mentor, motivate and supervise team members. The successful candidate must have effective communication skills, listening skills, computer skills and the ability to organize, prioritize, manage time and schedules, along with an ease and comfort in meeting tight deadlines, write proposals and apply for grants. Knowledge and understanding of First Nations communities, FNESC and FNSA, are a requirement. The incumbent reports to the Skeetchestn Indian Band Director of Operations, Chief and Council and School Board of Governors.
Provides leadership in the community school by building and maintaining vision, direction, and focus on student learning and achievement, based on BC Ministry of Education and Skeetchestn Curriculum.
- Write proposals, applies for grants, look for funding opportunities for but not limited to education, language and cultural programs.
- Establishes and maintains an effective learning and cultural climate in the school.
- Plans, organizes, and directs implementation of all school activities, events and ceremonies.
- Keeps the SCS Board of Governors informed of the school overall activities, yearly planning and issues.
- Makes recommendations concerning the school’s administration, instruction, maintenance and school policies.
- Assumes responsibility for the implementation and observance of all Skeetchestn Indian Band policies and regulations by the school’s staff and students.
- Attends SIB Managers weekly meetings and bi-weekly Board meetings.
- Keep up to date with BC curriculum, FNSA curriculum, regulations and codes affecting school management, primarily independent schools.
- Maintains strong and healthy relationships with BC and First Nations education organizations.
Skills and Qualifications
- Master’s degree with a major in educational leadership and/or administration preferred..
- Area of teaching specialty or minimum of 3 years teaching experience.
- Successful experience working with a First Nations community.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Dedicated to team work approach.
- Hosts a deep sense of discipline and fairness with the ability to make accommodations in some circumstances. “Firm but Fair”.
- Ability to work well with teachers, support staff, students and parents, Director of Operations, Chief and Council.
- Conflict management skills.
- TQS Category 5 or higher.
- Member of the BC College of Teachers.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Must undergo a Criminal Record Check upon hiring.
Length of Employment and Wage Range
One year contract starting August 18th, 2014 with renewable terms. Wage based on experience. Comprehensive Benefits package including: Group Pension Plan and Extended Health Benefit package introduced after 3 month probationary period.
How to Apply: Forward your resume, cover letter and three references (only) to: Assistant Director of Operations.
PO Box 178, Savona, BC V0K 2JO Fax: 250-373-2494
Application deadline: July 18th 3 pm
Thank you for your interest, however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.