Sinclair Knight Merz Employee Reviews

Great place to work. Solid ethical and staff focussed management.
Integration & Assurance Manager, Mining & Metals (Former Employee) –  Brisbane, QLD16 November 2015
A very professional company with an extremely experienced management team leading engineering design and project management fields.
Plenty of scope for advancement in this company and a strong desire to train and maintain productive and loyal staff.
Pros
Great company that was staff as well as project focussed.
Cons
My ro, le meant I was away from home travelling to project sites often.
Productive and fun workplace
GIS Analyst (Current Employee) –  Kuala Lumpur14 February 2013
• a typical day at work
My task is just supporting projects from Australia (also known as Virtual Teaming Project). The task is depending on request and based on data management (editing, digitising and converting). If there is no email on monday, so it will free time for me along that week.

• what you learned
Not much, is just typical job as what all GIS Practioner did.

• management
Not so bad because foreign company still regulated on Malaysia Labour Law.

• your co-workers
Awesome, working with multiple races, cultures and different bahaviour.

• the hardest part of the job
I had to update Airborne Survey Data (LIDAR) which contains 423 tiles, and need to edit and migrate the data into different formats within 2 days. I just slept in 2 hours.

• the most enjoyable part of the job
I'm involved in Dili Drainage Master Plan (at Timor Leste) Project. The project timeframe was so tight, but working with different professional and expertise, made me so motivated and sharing knowledge is highly applied among team member.
Pros
working with multiple ethnic and culture
Cons
job security and uncertainty
Ecellent Work Culture, Professional & Balanced
Senior Mechanical (Former Employee) –  Perth WA CBD5 August 2014
Start at 4.00am finish at 4.00pm - hrs very flexable,
3D Cad Design based around Plant Design with interface challenges every day,
Management tinkered around in the background without communication until approached,
Work Culture was very positive with respect to positive culture,
Definitely the Milestone dates which were not relayed at the beginning of the project and as with Dynamic Design it can change constantly and without warning for reasons too lengthy to list here,
3D Design, to have complete control regarding issues of maintenance, manufacture and design.
Pros
CBD
Cons
Pressure
provides good benifets for us and we have an outing twice a year sponsored by the company.
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Pasig, P0017 August 2015
I enjoy my job in this company because the people iwork with are true and kind. the management is a little bit strict but they compensate well their employees. They provide us free lunch and dinner when we work overtime job. They give us free mobile phones and allowances for loads.The management are very much concern of their employees welfare.
Pros
They Provide foods during your birthday.
Cons
You dont have to make excuses which are not good to their taste.
HSE SUPERVISOR
HSE Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Albania, LAG24 August 2012
1) Start safety meeting with the contractor employees.
Review Job Safety Analisis and work permit.
Inspect equipment and tools and materials. Check behaviour of operators, welders and unqualified personnel in order to evaluate and detect risk operations, unsafety work conditions and procedures.
2) I learned or remember to work into multidisciplinary worrk team.
3) Ther management was no so clear about instruction how to do my job in a correct way.
4) I do not have any problem with my co-workers.
5) The hardest situation hot weather.
6) Go home.
Pros
free food, room and home transportation
Cons
short work time. my contract was resigned a two months start date. when i enter to skm, the people do not pay attention
Satisfaction of work
Senior Draughtswoman (Former Employee) –  Kuala Lumpur28 November 2015
leading the project, coordinate few drafter for work progress and guide the standard. Liaise with team member from Sydney office.
Be a mentor for 5 drafters.
But I am not really happy with veteran staff which they are not follow the standard given.
Pros
nil
Cons
normal hours, 9-5, off on Saturday & Sunday
High achieving environment, good mentors but high energy required
Environmental Scientist (Current Employee) –  Brisbane Australia16 May 2013
Overall a good work environment with efforts made to provide benefits and small perks. Mid-level staff often given a lot of responsibility and left to 'sink or swim' with projects. More support from senior staff needed to develop younger staff's understanding of our technical areas and client needs.
Good global reach however tend to work in regional silos.
Best part of the job has been field work in places all over Australia, and the ability to transfer from globally between offices.
Hardest part of the job was breaking through the local barriers as many people have been at the company or in the city for many years and established networks and groups exist which can be hard to join. Go in with an open mind and don't be afraid to change the way things have always been.
Pros
Performance related bonuses annually, free fruit at work and fairly flexible hours
Cons
Often expected to work longer hours, recognition and rewards throughout the year not great
Flexible working environment but poor talent sucession planning
Global Mobility Manager - Asia (Former Employee) –  Kuala Lumpur22 April 2015
Potential candidate is not identified properly for succession planning
Hence lack in career development and planning
Gap analysis is not done, hence lack of proper training and guidance
Jacobs team learning
Catering and Administration Assistant (Current Employee) –  Perth Airport, WA5 April 2015
We have such a wonderful team at Jacobs team learning centre, we all look out for each other and in a professional manner.
We start at 6am and go till 4.30 pm, we have so many participants coming though our doors each day as we do inductions for mine sites. We cater for them morning tea , lunch and afternoon tea.
We have a coffee machine and tea facilities available for them.
I also do admin in the morning signing the participant in and do then catering from 8.30 till 3pm.
I love the challenge it gives me the goodness to want to come to work here everyday and when we are busy i look forward to the days at work.
Our team is very professional and well organised centre.
Great company to work for with good leadership
Regional HSEC Manager (Capital and Major Projects) (Former Employee) –  Perth14 April 2015
Many areas of involvement when going through different stages of major project from a study phase to design and engineering phase. A great team to work for, management supported HSE
Supportive company who allow you to use initiative and act on it
Health & Safety Advisor for South Australia (Current Employee) –  Adelaide, SA26 February 2014
With safety, no two days are the same. The work is unpredictable and at times frustrating but always rewarding. I leave at the end of each day knowing that I have put my all in to the days work. I have learned a lot about the way in which people learn and that you cant just deliver training in one way. I have learned to run a gap analysis when there are failings and that quite often the failings are as a result of something that the business has not put in place. The hardest part of the job is not being able to understand some peoples attitude when it comes to safety, the most enjoyable part is when attitudes are changed.
Pros
People and support by the company
Cons
General frustrations
Excellent learning role with challangeing tasks
Senior QA/QC Inspector (Current Employee) –  Perth, WA28 March 2014
Excellent opportunity to exercise newly developed management skills.
Very Professional & Goal Orientated Workplace
Lead Electrical Design Draftsman (Former Employee) –  Perth, SCT29 December 2014
I had control of multiple engineering projects, both with Electrical & Mechanical components. I tended to work alone in this environment & it was very technically oriented.

The most difficult component, was the extremely tight time frames given for each project, & the massive volume of work needed to complete each project.

Overall I found it a great place to work for
Pros
The large Christmas parties
Cons
Enjoyable workplace, relaxed managment culture.
Civil Draftsman (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, Vic20 May 2015
A self directed drafting position. Great location in the CBD.
Very good place to work. Good social enviroment. Office well equipt with up to date technology.
Pros
Access to good coffees downstairs.
table ping pong, soccer and gym
Electrical Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Bogota, TN8 April 2015
walk through all production areas and safety meeting.

I learned improve my attitude leader.

managing the cost of energy is reduced

My boss sometimes does not value my work

Teamwork is good.
Pros
Free lunchs, bonus
Cons
health care
GIving opportunities to excel in steel detailing job
Structural Steel Detailer (Current Employee) –  Ortigas Center, Pasig City, Philippines17 December 2011
It also concerns on the health and safety of employees and thier families.Motivating workers by giving incentives and rewards for deserving employees for the job well-done.
Pros
free supplies (cofee, tea, tissue), monthly staff get together with free food, christmas party, summer outing
Productive & fun work place
Auckland Facilities Manager (Former Employee) –  Auckland, N13 August 2014
I enjoyed working at Sinclair Knight Merz a lot of challenges at times. Co-workers were really good to work with.
Pros
Herald & fruit supplied daily, Good atmosphere, Lovely lunch room, Morning teas put on for different occasions.
Cons
Changing from Employee/share holder company to being bought by multi National company in USA
Great people, great company
Mechanical/Structural Draftsman (Former Employee) –  Newcastle, NSW19 March 2014
Had some fantastic learning experiences, design set-out, 3D Modelling with Green and Brown Field jobs.
Pros
Great exposure to EPCM's
Cons
Work ran out
Productive with high standards
Site Contracts Secretary (Former Employee) –  Cape Lambert Project, WA8 May 2012
Busy project, hard work environment. Business process and systems not as good as they could be. Felt to be a valued employee.
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
10 hr days
Interesting work environment
Project Assistant for Windows (Former Employee) –  Perth CBD24 May 2014
IT area was new to me, so everyday I was learning new things.
Colleagues were very helpful and I enjoyed every moment that I spent in SKM.