Simon Property Group Employee Reviews

Dont depend on making a living!
Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJ12 January 2017
This job has no benefits. There are no areas for advancement. However there is job security, they won't fire you (unless you do something illegal of course) But they hold on to workers because they know the pay is awful and the turnover is high due to people finding better jobs. This is a stepping stone job. Do not think you will make a living from a 4hr shift 12-20hr work week. This company has the funds to pay well but they do not! If you are a recent high school grad, retiring,or looking for pocket money this job is for you.
Pros
the experience of working independently at a high volume front desk
Cons
pay, lack of hour offered, no benefits, poor management
Fun fun fun!
Shuttle Driver (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX8 September 2016
I operated their golf carts while attending school and it was super fun! It had its moments of disappointment as any job does but mostly, I enjoyed it. The tips were my moneymaker and I met so many people, I built networks into other future employment opportunities. I cannot say I would work this job again because the atmosphere has changed. When I worked there, I worked amongst such a strong community between us shuttle operators, the mall security team and store employees. Everyone has moved on but I will never forget it.
Pros
Tips and friendships.
Cons
Wages, no benefits or room for advancement.
Great Company
Director of Marketing and Business Development (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VA5 January 2017
Simon Property Group is a great company to work for! Lots of room for advancement. Great benefits, training and corporate management.
What happened?
Guest Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Rather not say20 December 2016
They don't care about their employees. But does any company that large care? Probably not. I gave more than 10 years to Simon. I was proud to work there because I cared about my own performance. It was fun for a long while. But really the company does not care unless you can bring in money. Or if you are really great at throwing shade, smoke and mirrors to get ahead. Shallow and superficial. I guess I am much deeper than that. I learned a lot working for Simon. A lot about what NOT to do. It's a great job but not a place where you want to have a career unless you are a jerk face. Don't bother unless you use them for a stepping stone.
Pros
Learned a lot about a big corporate monster
Cons
Learned a lot about a big corporate minster
Lack luster and abusive management tactics
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CA25 August 2016
DO NOT bother going to work for this place. The douchebag managers are over glorified salesmen with the arrogance to boot. Even the interview is lack luster. They won't give you time of day, in fact I think they are bigots there. If you value a true career do not bother yourself at the Del Amo location.
Pros
The mall access is right outside
Great Desk job
Guest Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Cabazon, CA6 May 2016
Typically a days work as a Simon property group Guest service representative at Desert Hills Premium Outlets is very easy going.
You just have to deal with a lot of foreigners and tourist.
The co-workers are awesome. Great first desk job, great addition to your resume. Hardest part is the extras, like the paperwork, gift card handling, and the horrible computers they provide us with.
Most enjoyable part is interacting with customers.
Pros
Great Lunch breaks & as many short breaks you need
Cons
No benefits
Guest services
Guest Services representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TX30 January 2016
Thank goodness I left when I did. Job started off tolerable but when I was up for a raise then I was told I had to wait another 6 months. Finally got approved for a raise but didnt kick in for 4 months and they didnt want to retro pay me the difference. So I finally decided to leave. Now I found out they had a meeting and fired the whole department with no notice. This company is thw worse place I've ever worked for.
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
Exciting job with inefficient upper management lacking in professional communication
Director of Marketing and Business Development (Current Employee) –  Aurora, IL15 October 2015
Great company overall with lots of advancement opportunities. However, they do not treat the Director of Marketing and Business Development position with the respect it deserves. Upper management is still run like a family business with people in charge who are borderline abusive with their communications. These people make it hard to do everyday work. When they are not involved, the rest of the team is pleasant and allows for fun and rewarding opportunities. It is a fast paced career with a lot of potential to learn and grow professionally...if you can survive the leadership of certain individuals.
Decent job
Guest Service Representative (Current Employee) –  New York, NY1 December 2016
Ok place to work. Some things could be better. Pay isn't that great considering the fact that more work is added to your load daily. I don't want to discuss it further.
Professional Company that encourages their employee's to be the best professional that they can be.
LOCAL LEASING REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Denver, CO15 April 2016
Simon Property Group encourages employee's to work hard and supports each individual employee in achieving their goals. They promote within which is empowering to every employee.
Pros
Support and encouragement
Its a Job
Help Desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, IN9 August 2016
If you are looking for a place to get work. and need to learn future skills and would need to be able to get ahead. this is a great place there is no upward movement for the tech side.
Pros
Ok place
Cons
no upward movement
Ha, I see they're looking for yet another manager for Brea
Security Manager (Former Employee) –  Brea, California2 April 2015
Perhaps the worst corporate culture since the firing squad. I know many people will take what they can get these days, just be prepared to sell you soul and watch out for the back stabbers.

A typical day consists of watching your back for ladder climbers that will throw you in front of the bus they are driving.

What I learned: Never to work for Simon again.

Management: HA. doing unreasonable stuff for morons is the best description.

Co-Workers: Mostly ladder climbing back stabbers, gossipers, and knitting club cat ladies.

Hardest Part of the Job: Wondering if you be fired every day or wanting to slit your wrists.

Most enjoyable part: There is nothing enjoyable about working for Simon.
Pros
Cons
Read the review
Worst Company to Work For
Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  California11 June 2015
If you like working tons of over time, working holiday's while the salary and corporate people have all holiday's off plus the day before and after, if you like working in a demoralizing, demeaning, retaliatory, harassing and insulting culture - then this is the perfect job for you.

The Office Administrator position is horrible to be in, you do everyone's job, work tons of over time, you are a supervisor, but you receive no respect or benefits as the rest of the managers do.

Simon is not a family friendly company at all - they expect you to put them first at all times. The management usually has no clue how to do their job or what to do, so that is where the office administrator comes into play, you get to do all their work and they get the pay and benefits for it (not to mention the praise and respect).

All I can say is just RUN!!!! Do not work for this company unless you are into this type of culture and abuse.
Pros
Cons
Working here, unfair treatment, salary/corporate employees and hourly employees, expected to work holidays, expected to do other's work, while you get a small paycheck, very stressful, impossible expectations, feeling like you stepped back in time to the 60's, 70's when it comes to treatment and software
Nepotism, poor upper management, local stress
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Ohio12 September 2013
I left this company because I wanted to be a marketing director - I ended up a media salesperson. While the stores pay the marketing director's salary and fund marketing efforts, only about 2% of the fees paid by those stores actually goes to marketing, and that's about as much time as we were given to market them as well.
Simon cares about marketing the Simon brand.You get ahead by being an automaton and following their rules, working 15 hour days and 7 day weeks, and kissing up to the right people.
Upper management and corporate associates are, for the most part, completely disconnected from the realities of the field. They have no idea what the retail environment in most of their markets is really like, and when they DO visit a local market,it is to berate and belittle the local team,not to learn from them.
RUN from this company.
Pros
Good bonus opportunity
Cons
Long hours, unreasonable demands on time, disconnected and "old boys club" upper management
I have been challenged in my position from the first day.
Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Duluth, MN30 June 2016
Simon Corporate is very hands-off, preferring each property to operate as an independent entity. They offer very little training to incoming, new employees. As a new Office Administrator coming in to the company at a property that operated without an Office Administrator for 3-4 months, I was given very little guidance or training. I was given the phone number of an OA at another property and the access to the Company's Policies and Procedures and told I could research and find everything I needed to effectively perform the duties required of my position. I rose to the challenge, quickly learned my position, and resolved many Accounts Receivables issues that had grown out of hand during the time with no OA on staff. During this time period, I implemented a new system for Procurement and Accounts Payable very smoothly and with virtually none of the issues that can arise when dealing with a brand new policy dealing with vendors and invoices. After only 8 months in my new position I became a Point of Contact for other Office Administrators and Mall Managers.
Pros
work independently, sarisfaction in self-development
Cons
absense of connection between Corporate and local property, in 3 plus years with the company only 2 Regional VP visits (standard is supposed to be quarterly)
Great Company to Work For
Specialty Leasing Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, IN2 November 2015
Good benefits and culture. The largest developer in the mall business. Most cases you must relocate to advance.

Great job to consider if you like to meet and work with diverse group of people,
Never working for this company again
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TX30 September 2015
The work environment was terrible. When I wss first hired, I had a good manager, then she was promoted and they promoted the newest hire, and youngest prison to be the manager. She wad terrible, and wouldn't hire anyone, which forced me to close 6 nights a week and she would not pitch in. The pay is terrible, and the outlet stays open for all holidays except Christmas, and the employees are forced to work all holidays. Before Christmas the debit machine went down, and to my knowledge, they have not replaced it. The computer software and hardware was so out of date, it felt like a time warp.
Also, the management office messed up my w-4 paperwork, and never did anything about it, I had to email corporate payroll myself to get anything done and it still took over a month to get my first check!
Pros
I would never recommend working here.
Marketing Administrator (Former Employee) –  Maine, ME18 May 2016
I worked for this company for over a year. My first day there I knew something was off about the environment. I worked in a small mall with no other SPG malls for miles. Within the first few months the office administrator was bullying me mercilessly. The Marketing Director seems nice at first, but as soon as she doesn't like something that you do, she'll turn her back on you and completely throw you under the bus. The mall manager acts like he's all action, but never fully looks at the whole picture of a situation to make a solid conclusion. After being told how I was being treated by the OA, he did nothing. He doesn't stand up for his employees and only tries to cover his own interests. Nearly everyone I met at this company was this way. After getting sick of the environment, I contacted HR. Instead of doing something about it themselves they let the VP's come up and investigate. They didn't try to make the situation more positive, they essentially just said, "make it better or else". Well, it didn't get better. This is not the first time they've had HR related issues either. The Marketing Director was all too willing to tell me about the previous two incidents they'd had before me. This was during my first week. Good luck to the next person in that position; you're going to need it.
Pros
Not working here
Cons
HR is not helpful, work environment is unnecessarily stressful, no real training program, vague job description so they can pile on the work, coworkers that belittle you to build themselves up
SPG - GREAT YET STRESSFUL
Guest Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FL18 July 2013
I learned more than I expected, however, we implement policies that aren't needed as well as spend money on unnecessary concepts. The majority of management are great to work with, including my coworkers, but some are harder to work with than others. The hardest part of the job is putting up with so much nonsense on a regular basis or the temper tantrums thrown daily. The most enjoyable part of the job would be the atmosphere because you meet so many different people.
Pros
people, compensation, experience
Cons
short hours, slim to little break time
Contract Position
Help Desk Support (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, IN10 June 2012
Great company, unfortunately I was hired for a special IT assigment.

• Instructing users on system/procedural changes and new applications.
• First level system administration of client environments including: Tracking all changes and working with our internal teams to ensure optimal performance and response times.
• Provide academic support such as advising, the development of individual educational plans, registration assistance, and career guidance.
Pros
great culture to work
Cons
short contract position