Simon Fraser University

Simon Fraser University Employee Reviews in Canada

People who need a reality check.
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCFebruary 23, 2016
Run for the door.

Last place you want to work, unless you like working with under qualified people with little to no management experience. People who work here seem to think they are superb individuals who have no idea how to treat other people with respect. Campus Security is a joke with a contracted company that pays minimal wage for workers. The entire time I was working with SFU I was scared to walk to my car as the school has countless less desirable individuals around. I worked in the library and there was a theft every single hour. If you want to work in a rat invested environment, with little to no respect by all means. But if you value your being run for the door.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Everything else.
Depends on the Department
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCApril 12, 2016
Depending on the department you work with the job as a TA can either be enjoyable or not. It also depends on the professor you are assigned to. I have had both wonderful and horrible experiences as a TA and that is in part due to professors I have worked with and the administration of my department. In some cases the administration did not work to help me in other cases it did. It really just depends.

There is a lot of work attached to being a TA and if you have a great professor and good administrative help You are happy to do it. If you don't? It is like you are living a nightmare that will never end. Also sometimes your department just works against you in terms of providing jobs. I am a graduate student and need an income, this was said to be for the most part guaranteed, it's not. That's something that should be said.
Pros
Great Professors
Cons
Bad Professors
Interesting, fun and excellent place to work
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  FinanceJuly 26, 2015
Good place to work, steady workload, not a significant amount of overtime, excellent work/life balance, a lot of autonomy, interesting projects and a good / friendly work culture.
Pros
Potential flex work week schedule and 4 weeks vacation to start
Cons
Limited career advancement opportunities. Some (minor) bureaucracy
Enjoyable and helped develop my interpersonal skills
Recreation Sports Manager, Part time, 8hrs/wk (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCMay 19, 2015
My position as a Recreation Manager for SFU Recreation required versatility, a team mentality and excellent interpersonal skills. I was a fitting representative for SFU Recreation, where they promote active living and personal health in student life. I have received the Recreational Promotion and Leadership Awards multiple times in my time with this organization. This position required multitasking through managing multiple sport leagues with diverse teams of students, who differ in majors and years of study. In every semester, I am responsible for upwards of 200 participants and 10 staff members, of which I am the main point of communication. In my evaluation meetings, I am praised for my ability to form positive relationships with many participants.
Great work ethics
Community Advisor (Former Employee) –  BurnabyAugust 31, 2015
Great working environment and culture with supportive team members and management. Affords the opportunity for self growth and development on the job.
SFU provides many opportunities to engage with the University Community.
Production Support (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCApril 12, 2016
I have witnessed many changes with SFU in the years was part of the community as a staff member, student and community volunteer,

My work days were rarely typical as my assignments varied depending upon our department's projects.
Pros
Tuition Waivers
Cons
Long commute with expensive parking and now tolls.
Educational and rewarding environment
Teaching Assistant and Tutor Marker (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCApril 24, 2016
TA and TM positions require patience, discipline and hardwork particularly for first year courses. If you get positive feedback and students are receptive to your input then it can be a very rewarding job. However, for the amount of work you do particularly outside the hours you don't get paid nearly enough.
Excellent working conditions
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJuly 29, 2015
My job at SFU is to organize, implement, and teach several 100- and 200-level university English courses to cultural diverse groups of students, many of whom are international students in the processing of learning critical reading, writing, and oral English skills at an academic level.

The working conditions are SFU are first class. The hours are light, which allows sufficient time for thorough preparation and grading, and the university goes out of its way to help both its students and staff.

The only downside to being a TA at SFU - or any other academic institution - is that there is zero job security.
Ability to get everybody together
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCOctober 22, 2015
SFU is an excellent place to work - great support for self development and a good work-life balance in almost every department
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Welcome to the boys Club
Project Lead (Current Employee) –  SFU BurnabyJune 23, 2015
This is a great place to work, even more so if you are a guy. I have worked here for almost 2 years and I have only ever seen 1 non-male employee. Which is the biggest drawback to working here, I can't confirm if my managers are actually sexist or if they just don't have any female applicants but regardless it is very weird to have 0 women on staff. Other then that these guys are great, they work with you about your schedule and they are always willing to train you up to make sure you know what you are doing. The salary could be better but I understand why it is what it is.
Pros
learn new stuff, make friends, have fun
Cons
potentially sexist managers.
Positive environment, students variety
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJanuary 21, 2016
It is a good mix of students and the teaching opportunities provide with a wide range of experience. The facilities in the labs are good, the lab techs are excellent. It is a student-positive environment.
An adequate place to work
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCDecember 29, 2015
I was cleaning offices, restaurants, Gymnasiums, classrooms and labs. The labs were particularly interesting - except the archaeology lab where they were making a skeletal reference collection, and had bugs eating bones
Pros
Lots of variety
Cons
Bugs eating bones in the archaeology lab
It is one of the best universities in Canada and North America.
Instructor in Science Education (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, B.C., CanadaNovember 12, 2015
It is one of the best universities in Canada and North America. It has a very well rounded academic programs, highly qualified faculty, and academic leaders.
Supportive environment geared towards personal growth
Recreation Sports Manager, Part time, 8hrs/wk (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJanuary 15, 2015
• Provided superb services by managing aspects of day-to-day operations and following correct procedures as manager of SFU Recreational Intramural Leagues
• Supervise and mentor five to eight staff members every semester to provide excellent service evidenced by positive feedback from participants
• Contributed to maintaining great service by organizing and planning staff training sessions and performance evaluations
• Built an effective line of communication between participants and staff including introducing feedback procedures and changes implemented as a response to feedback
• Implemented several innovative changes to improve Recreation’s services such as introducing All-star games, creating promotion material and initiating new sport leagues
SFU Varsity Athletics
Athletic Therapist (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCApril 2, 2015
Member of the SFU Athletic Therapy staff responsible for advising varsity team athletes in regards to injury prevention, proper care and treatment of injuries, including arranging referrals to appropriate health care providers. Organized and administered pre-season condition screening for all varsity athletes, coordinated and/or provided initial on-site injury assessment and designed the treatment plans for the safe return to athletic competition. Attended practices and all home games as required in relief to other therapy team members.
Build relationships with CPA, civic, business, faith, community, clubs and other organizations or individuals that will help in raising awareness
Faculty of Health Sciences (Current Employee) –  Harbour Center, VancouverMarch 7, 2015
Maintain and build relationships with Community Partner Agencies, in order to facilitate community outreach at events to ensure that the community is informed about the study
Build relationships with civic, business, faith, community, clubs and other organizations or individuals that will help in raising awareness about the study
Present information sessions about the study so that those interested can contact the researchers for participation
Temporary job
Convocation Regalia Distributor (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC.June 23, 2015
It was just a temporary job. We were meant to work during and after convocation. Helped in distributing regalia, moving them out of the truck etc.
Great work environment
Assistant Coach (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCMay 28, 2015
I was treated very well, with respectful athletes and coworkers alike. I greatly enjoyed my time there, and I learned a lot from all of my experience.
Working as a TA
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 25, 2015
I was a TA, which meant putting together tutorials and marking.

It was an excellent job that let me use my facilitation skills. I had a great instructor and really developed my skills.
Awesome
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCApril 29, 2015
Great place to go to for an education, and work experience. This has been a very interesting four years of learning and meeting people.

4.2