Simon Fraser University Employee Reviews

Student Central experience
Tour Guide (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC24 April 2017
Very good and enriching environment to work. Employers care about the students and they try to make sure that everything is alright with them. There are always briefings to keep up with the process
Pros
fun environment
Cons
not a stable job
my thoughts
Indigenous Co-op Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC19 April 2017
This is a newly created role, marketing is the biggest hurdle, finding access to students is a process but worth it. I truly enjoyed it here, unfortunately it is based on contract. I need job stability that will allow me to enjoy my holidays and benefits with my family.
Pros
excellent support networks
fun place to work, comfortable environment
Usher (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 April 2017
a typical day at work includes greeting and ushering patrons to their seats. there was good management, very helpful. the hardest part of the job is not having enough work shifts. the most enjoyable part of the job was learning about different cultures
It's a professional and academic work environment.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC10 April 2017
You have freedom to choose what you would like to work on.
I learned a lot from this Research Assistant position.
I like the working environment and my supervisor and my co-workers.
Great
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC24 March 2017
A very interesting school. They have great programs and the project am currently working on is a very fast-paced and has many innovative ideas, lead by fellow students.
A place where there is a safe space for the free exchange of opinions
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC21 March 2017
I enjoy the interaction with my students and I especially get a sense of fulfillment when they deepen their understanding of the course material over the course of the semester.
Good academic environment
Finance Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC21 February 2017
I worked here as finance teaching assistant. The students and professors are all very nice. Generally, the work at SFU is not hard. I enjoyed make more friends with my students there.
Pros
Free coffee
I loved studying and doing RA in SFU
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Surrey ,British Columbia20 February 2017
SFU made a great environment for researchers and students to pursue their passions and dreams.
Working at IMuTs lab in SFU was very competitive and efficient.
Good money and not a lot of work
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC13 January 2017
Holding tutorials, labs, office hours
Grading assignments
Proctoring and grading exams
How to teach students
Friendly TAs
a lot of grading all of a sudden
Teaching students and making them understand felt good.
Teaching Assistant for Undergraduate Courses (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC7 January 2017
I TA'd for a whole bunch of courses and it was always fun working with professors and students. Teaching students helps you learn a lot of the minute details which you often miss when you are just studying on your own. It was a good practise for my coding skills.
best place I ever worked
Student Technician and Technical Lead (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 December 2016
This position was by far and away my favorite. In this job I got to do all the fun networking I thought I would never work with again. Fiber hubs, amps, ONTs, headends the whole 9 yards I can't say enough good things about this job.
Pros
everything
Challenging environment
Student Investment Advisory Service (SIAS) (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 December 2016
Fun and friendly atmosphere. The opportunity exposed me to learn the various aspects of investment management. A great mix of theory and practical aspects of working in a investment fund.
Productive and fun job as a Physics Outreach Assistant
Physics Outreach Assistant (Current Employee) –  British Columbia13 December 2016
During working periods, communication was an asset during outreach sessions which were conducted on physics experiments as well as during surveys. I improved upon my communication skill in an academic tone and my knowledge on excel spreadsheets, improved with every survey data i analyzed. My supervisor was open-minded and understanding. Everything initially seemed hard, and all new to me, but I improved with every passing moment of the job. Networking with the MS, PhD and even some Physics Professors were the most adorable moment of the job.
Pros
Free lunches
Rewarding student position
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC20 November 2016
- Consistent and manageable hours
- Salary is flat rate
- Management and co-workers depends on your instructor and other TAs
- Hardest part is clearly communicating steps and solution to learning material
- Most enjoyable is engaging with students about their personal interests
Fun and good work environment
Researcher (un paid) (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC17 September 2016
I have learned many things such as how to handle C.elegans worms, how to inject them, pick them and prepare many solutions necessary for the lab. My supervisor was very nice, she taught me patiently and have always been there when even I had a concern.
In doing my research, getting good results and waiting for them was can be the toughest part for this position. While the best part was trying all the new protocols and visualizing the new marked C.elegans worm on the microscope.
Pros
There is free lunch every Friday
Productive and fun place to work and have a PhD life
Research and Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC29 August 2016
So far I have spent 3 years of my life at Simon Fraser University. Throughout these years I have learned how to interact with people having different backgrounds and cultures and how to manage my life and balance it with my work. PhD studies require hard work and patience, however, the result is what can make me satisfiend.
Health education/promotion expert
Presenter (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 July 2016
-two different projects;
- working with seniors;
-teaching them technology;
-assessing their social improvement;
-working in teams with other fantastic co-workers;
- the most enjoyable part were working with lovely seniors and teamwork
Pros
Fun and academic
Cons
Temporary job
Productive and supportive workplace with great staff and various departments to work for
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC26 June 2016
Great place to work for with variety of departments to work under. Great supportive staff and environment. Lots of great benefits and good job security. However, the pace of the organization is a little slow given that it is in public sector and in a union environment. Would be great for professionals later in their career stage looking to settle down and not have a high demand for change.
Educational and rewarding environment
Teaching Assistant and Tutor Marker (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC24 April 2016
TA and TM positions require patience, discipline and hardwork particularly for first year courses. If you get positive feedback and students are receptive to your input then it can be a very rewarding job. However, for the amount of work you do particularly outside the hours you don't get paid nearly enough.
High Quality Education
Student-Athlete Tutor (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC22 April 2016
SFU has helped provide me with the skills and knowledge needed for me to work in the field of public health. This program gave me a good combination of theory and practice in this field.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Simon Fraser University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3