Simon Fraser University Employee Reviews

What a view
Student (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 October 2017
As a TA i had to put up with a lot of students and their problems. You'd think i would care, as i was also a student at the time, but i really didn't. Is that 150 words yet?
workstudy is the best thing you can do
Archaeology Lab assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC14 September 2017
workstudy is an amazing program that every student needs to apply for. it benefits each student to do work in their program of study before getting into the real world. loved the experience.
little room to job advancement
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC17 July 2017
casual working environment, little motivation for advancement

good place for retirement or people who need flexible working schedules; not a good place for new graduates who have ambition to learn and promote
Great opportunity for current students!
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC9 July 2017
Being a TA is a great way for students to earn income while developing many skills, such as presentation abilities, providing feedback and constructive criticism, as well as developing engaging lesson plans.
Pros and Cons of being a student caller
Student Caller (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC28 June 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job is to talk to alumni about their experiences in school and their life after, as well as high school students who are incredibly eager to go to SFU. Their enthusiasm is encouraging which makes my day.
Unfortunately, there are times when they do not feel like listening to a phone call, especially one that is asking them for money. In these cases, I would assure that the purpose of the call is not simply raising money but to reconnect with alumni too. This increases the chances of successfully convincing alumni to donate.
Pros
Improves interpersonal skills, Free pizza
Cons
Dejecting to constantly receive rejections
Fun place to work at
Student Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC1 May 2017
Although the pay is typically low, it is great for students who are taking the job more for the experience, not so much for the financial aspect of it. SFU does provide a joyful environment in which students can develop life skills at work and have fun at the same time. One gets to meet all kinds of amazing people and make lots of connections.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Low pay
Student Central experience
Tour Guide (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC24 April 2017
Very good and enriching environment to work. Employers care about the students and they try to make sure that everything is alright with them. There are always briefings to keep up with the process
Pros
fun environment
Cons
not a stable job
my thoughts
Indigenous Co-op Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC19 April 2017
This is a newly created role, marketing is the biggest hurdle, finding access to students is a process but worth it. I truly enjoyed it here, unfortunately it is based on contract. I need job stability that will allow me to enjoy my holidays and benefits with my family.
Pros
excellent support networks
fun place to work, comfortable environment
Usher (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 April 2017
a typical day at work includes greeting and ushering patrons to their seats. there was good management, very helpful. the hardest part of the job is not having enough work shifts. the most enjoyable part of the job was learning about different cultures
It's a professional and academic work environment.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC10 April 2017
You have freedom to choose what you would like to work on.
I learned a lot from this Research Assistant position.
I like the working environment and my supervisor and my co-workers.
Great
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC24 March 2017
A very interesting school. They have great programs and the project am currently working on is a very fast-paced and has many innovative ideas, lead by fellow students.
A place where there is a safe space for the free exchange of opinions
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC21 March 2017
I enjoy the interaction with my students and I especially get a sense of fulfillment when they deepen their understanding of the course material over the course of the semester.
Good academic environment
Finance Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC21 February 2017
I worked here as finance teaching assistant. The students and professors are all very nice. Generally, the work at SFU is not hard. I enjoyed make more friends with my students there.
Pros
Free coffee
I loved studying and doing RA in SFU
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Surrey ,British Columbia20 February 2017
SFU made a great environment for researchers and students to pursue their passions and dreams.
Working at IMuTs lab in SFU was very competitive and efficient.
Good money and not a lot of work
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC13 January 2017
Holding tutorials, labs, office hours
Grading assignments
Proctoring and grading exams
How to teach students
Friendly TAs
a lot of grading all of a sudden
Teaching students and making them understand felt good.
Teaching Assistant for Undergraduate Courses (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC7 January 2017
I TA'd for a whole bunch of courses and it was always fun working with professors and students. Teaching students helps you learn a lot of the minute details which you often miss when you are just studying on your own. It was a good practise for my coding skills.
best place I ever worked
Student Technician and Technical Lead (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 December 2016
This position was by far and away my favorite. In this job I got to do all the fun networking I thought I would never work with again. Fiber hubs, amps, ONTs, headends the whole 9 yards I can't say enough good things about this job.
Pros
everything
Challenging environment
Student Investment Advisory Service (SIAS) (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 December 2016
Fun and friendly atmosphere. The opportunity exposed me to learn the various aspects of investment management. A great mix of theory and practical aspects of working in a investment fund.
Productive and fun job as a Physics Outreach Assistant
Physics Outreach Assistant (Current Employee) –  British Columbia13 December 2016
During working periods, communication was an asset during outreach sessions which were conducted on physics experiments as well as during surveys. I improved upon my communication skill in an academic tone and my knowledge on excel spreadsheets, improved with every survey data i analyzed. My supervisor was open-minded and understanding. Everything initially seemed hard, and all new to me, but I improved with every passing moment of the job. Networking with the MS, PhD and even some Physics Professors were the most adorable moment of the job.
Pros
Free lunches
Rewarding student position
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC20 November 2016
- Consistent and manageable hours
- Salary is flat rate
- Management and co-workers depends on your instructor and other TAs
- Hardest part is clearly communicating steps and solution to learning material
- Most enjoyable is engaging with students about their personal interests