Simon Fraser University

Simon Fraser University Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
great experience, very self motivating
Student (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCApril 27, 2014
Pros: excellent program
Cons: costly
The only complaint I have about SFU's DDP program, which I'm apart of, is it's lack of babysitting. That may sound silly when a person should really be the only one responsible his or her own schooling and graduation progress However, DDP (Dual-Degree Program) is a very fresh and new program that collaborates with Zhejiang University located in Hangzhou, – more... China. This program lets students, us, take part in both school's computing science studies and thus uses a complicated system to keep track of credits from both schools. In the end, the students are awarded with degrees from both schools, and a more enriched skill set which includes fluent in Mandarin and English.

What does this all mean? It means that, SFU kicked me off the cliff like parent eagles teaching their young to fly and I soared further than I could have imagined. – less
Good place to to do research in CS field
Post Doctoral Researcher (Current Employee), Burnaby, BCApril 15, 2014
SFU is a great place full of enthusiastic well-qualified people. It is real pleasure to do research there.
Productive environment; challenging; educational
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJanuary 24, 2014
I learned skills for teaching social science while improving my verbal and written communication skills.
easy to do; time conflict with other jobs and no help from administration
Teaching / Research Assistant (Former Employee), Lower Mainland, BCJanuary 7, 2014
TA is the easier work to do for me; but there is no hope for the future career; also when you meet schedule conflict with another job, you won't be able to get any help from the admin.
Great University to work with
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Burnaby, BCNovember 22, 2013
Pros: freedom
Cons: salary is not high
As one of the top Economics department, SFU is definitely a great university to work with. It provides nice offices for staffs, and the secretary there are nice and helpful. The best thing is that you get all the free time and free style of teaching as a teaching assistant.
a great environment to work on your research area and field of interest with wide range faculty member with different backgrounds
Student (Current Employee), Burnaby, BCOctober 1, 2013
I have learned to develop a thesis problem and try to solve it with the help my supervisor in cooperative lab atmosphere. lab mates are nice and knowledgeable people who give us constructive feedback about our thesis and also we have a lot of outdoor fun events together. this is one enjoyable part of our student life. The most challenging part of our – more... job is to make a balance between human life and student part to satisfy every aspect of your life. – less
Research Assistant and Business Project Assistant (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCAugust 12, 2013
we worked as a team to help professor conduct analysis of the finance and accounting industry. It taught me a lot to how to work in a team and how to express you ideas.
Productive workplace with a fast pace
Lab Assistant (Former Employee), SFUJune 8, 2013
A typical day:
Heavy workload with vast documentary management and researches.

What I learned:
To be detail-oriented, organized and dependable when working
Productive and fun with the xbox
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Burnaby, BCApril 16, 2013
Pros: being uptodate and learning a lot
Cons: pressure during deadlines
As a researcher at SFU, I start to search for new methods in my work, develop new ideas, implement and test them to evaluate and compare to baseline methods.
I have nice and helpful co-workers.
The most enjoyable part of job for me is implementing and developing new ideas.
dull grey concrete box
sessional professor (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCSeptember 22, 2012
students (and teachers) get ripped off by sfu practice of hiring low-paid sessional profs having none of the benefits of regular profs: no office, no security, no say, low pay
Assisting PhD in research
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCJuly 5, 2012
Pros: grad level access to resources
Hunting research information for PhD candidate, focusing on area of Telemedecine.
Research Assistant - Oral Testimonies
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCJune 28, 2012
Pros: friendships forever
Cons: contacting potential interviewees.
A typical day is contacting people via phone and email to ask their permission to film them for Simon Fraser University's Library Archives regarding Aboriginal issues.

My job is to build a relationship based on trust so that the atmosphere between myself and the interviewee is calm, and relaxed. Once that has been established and put in place, filming – more... begins (by me) in allowing them to voice their opinions and/or concerns surrounding specific issues that affect First Nation people.

In the past I have interviewed Aboriginal people in regards to the Missing Women's Commission; Enbridge Pipeline Proposal, and Taseko Mining proposals in northern BC.

The hardest part of this job is making contact with a potential interviewee, but once the contact is made, and a relationship built on honesty and trust develops, friendships are made, and their stories are filmed and prepared digitally for the library's archives.

All interviewees receive copies of the film taken, and have the option to change what appears or to add something more should they choose to do so. – less
research assistant
Teaching Assistant - ENSC (Former Employee), burnabyJune 7, 2012
excellent place. SFU is a very good school and has strong academic
courses.
helpful in getting future jobs
sessional instructor (Former Employee), Burnaby BCMay 25, 2012
Pros: ggo environment
Cons: long distance
I got chance to learn while teaching big classes. Learned about Canadian teaching style, course designing, evaluation and grading. I also became culturally sensitive as I had to deal with students of diverse backgrounds.
Overall it was a very enriching experience.
A pleasant short contract job
Visiting Scholar (Former Employee), Vancouver, BC., CanadaApril 22, 2014
Pros: good environment, good job/life balance
Cons: in a remote area of vancouver
I worked in SFU as a visiting scholar for a one semester short research project. The environment was very nice, colleagues are helpful and passionate.
Great place to study
Extracurricular & Volunteer Activities (Former Employee), CanadaJanuary 11, 2014
A respectable University to study in the best city in the world
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Surrey, BCFebruary 13, 2013
Most professors respect the need to balance work as a TA, life as a student and a social life outside. The union is pretty good about ensuring a standard minimum standard is there too, and helps you out if you are in trouble.

Salary is soso, enough to get by but not much else.
friendly place to work
Data Miner (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCAugust 12, 2012
I worked in the computer lab providing data support for a biology project. After download the data from public website, I am responsible for transferring it into a proper form that we can compare the "ortholog" between different genomes. Several computer languages are used during this process, such as Perl and Linux. Another team member will take over – more... the data by comparing and uploading them on website with Perl and SQL.
During my intern, I learned a number of computer languages and realized communication is very important in team work. It was a great experience to work with my team members and professor, who demonstrated a professional way of working in a team.
Even though programming is stressful, I am able to complete the assignments, and always looking for a more efficient way to compile data. I identify a public server “Westgrid”, which tripled calculation speed. – less
I gained lab techniques in my organic chemical lab.
Research Assistant / Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCJune 24, 2012
The study in SFU provided me a full understanding of the organic chemical lab. In addition, I leaned lots of knowledge about the organic chemistry.
I enjoyed this...
Teaching Assistant and Marker (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCOctober 12, 2012
I truly enjoyed my studies and my teaching/marking job, as philosophy was my field, and I was able to work well with the department faculty.