Simon Fraser University

Simon Fraser University Employee Reviews

Fun and good work environment
Researcher (un paid) (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC17 September 2016
I have learned many things such as how to handle C.elegans worms, how to inject them, pick them and prepare many solutions necessary for the lab. My supervisor was very nice, she taught me patiently and have always been there when even I had a concern.
In doing my research, getting good results and waiting for them was can be the toughest part for this position. While the best part was trying all the new protocols and visualizing the new marked C.elegans worm on the microscope.
Pros
There is free lunch every Friday
Productive and fun place to work and have a PhD life
Research and Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC29 August 2016
So far I have spent 3 years of my life at Simon Fraser University. Throughout these years I have learned how to interact with people having different backgrounds and cultures and how to manage my life and balance it with my work. PhD studies require hard work and patience, however, the result is what can make me satisfiend.
Health education/promotion expert
Presenter (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 July 2016
-two different projects;
- working with seniors;
-teaching them technology;
-assessing their social improvement;
-working in teams with other fantastic co-workers;
- the most enjoyable part were working with lovely seniors and teamwork
Pros
Fun and academic
Cons
Temporary job
Productive and supportive workplace with great staff and various departments to work for
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC26 June 2016
Great place to work for with variety of departments to work under. Great supportive staff and environment. Lots of great benefits and good job security. However, the pace of the organization is a little slow given that it is in public sector and in a union environment. Would be great for professionals later in their career stage looking to settle down and not have a high demand for change.
Educational and rewarding environment
Teaching Assistant and Tutor Marker (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC24 April 2016
TA and TM positions require patience, discipline and hardwork particularly for first year courses. If you get positive feedback and students are receptive to your input then it can be a very rewarding job. However, for the amount of work you do particularly outside the hours you don't get paid nearly enough.
High Quality Education
Student-Athlete Tutor (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC22 April 2016
SFU has helped provide me with the skills and knowledge needed for me to work in the field of public health. This program gave me a good combination of theory and practice in this field.
Depends on the Department
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC12 April 2016
Depending on the department you work with the job as a TA can either be enjoyable or not. It also depends on the professor you are assigned to. I have had both wonderful and horrible experiences as a TA and that is in part due to professors I have worked with and the administration of my department. In some cases the administration did not work to help me in other cases it did. It really just depends.

There is a lot of work attached to being a TA and if you have a great professor and good administrative help You are happy to do it. If you don't? It is like you are living a nightmare that will never end. Also sometimes your department just works against you in terms of providing jobs. I am a graduate student and need an income, this was said to be for the most part guaranteed, it's not. That's something that should be said.
Pros
Great Professors
Cons
Bad Professors
SFU provides many opportunities to engage with the University Community.
Production Support (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC12 April 2016
I have witnessed many changes with SFU in the years was part of the community as a staff member, student and community volunteer,

My work days were rarely typical as my assignments varied depending upon our department's projects.
Pros
Tuition Waivers
Cons
Long commute with expensive parking and now tolls.
People who need a reality check.
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC23 February 2016
Run for the door.

Last place you want to work, unless you like working with under qualified people with little to no management experience. People who work here seem to think they are superb individuals who have no idea how to treat other people with respect. Campus Security is a joke with a contracted company that pays minimal wage for workers. The entire time I was working with SFU I was scared to walk to my car as the school has countless less desirable individuals around. I worked in the library and there was a theft every single hour. If you want to work in a rat invested environment, with little to no respect by all means. But if you value your being run for the door.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Everything else.
Positive environment, students variety
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC21 January 2016
It is a good mix of students and the teaching opportunities provide with a wide range of experience. The facilities in the labs are good, the lab techs are excellent. It is a student-positive environment.
An adequate place to work
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC29 December 2015
I was cleaning offices, restaurants, Gymnasiums, classrooms and labs. The labs were particularly interesting - except the archaeology lab where they were making a skeletal reference collection, and had bugs eating bones
Pros
Lots of variety
Cons
Bugs eating bones in the archaeology lab
It is one of the best universities in Canada and North America.
Instructor in Science Education (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, B.C., Canada12 November 2015
It is one of the best universities in Canada and North America. It has a very well rounded academic programs, highly qualified faculty, and academic leaders.
Ability to get everybody together
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 October 2015
SFU is an excellent place to work - great support for self development and a good work-life balance in almost every department
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Great work ethics
Community Advisor (Former Employee) –  Burnaby31 August 2015
Great working environment and culture with supportive team members and management. Affords the opportunity for self growth and development on the job.
Excellent working conditions
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC29 July 2015
My job at SFU is to organize, implement, and teach several 100- and 200-level university English courses to cultural diverse groups of students, many of whom are international students in the processing of learning critical reading, writing, and oral English skills at an academic level.

The working conditions are SFU are first class. The hours are light, which allows sufficient time for thorough preparation and grading, and the university goes out of its way to help both its students and staff.

The only downside to being a TA at SFU - or any other academic institution - is that there is zero job security.
Interesting, fun and excellent place to work
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Finance26 July 2015
Good place to work, steady workload, not a significant amount of overtime, excellent work/life balance, a lot of autonomy, interesting projects and a good / friendly work culture.
Pros
Potential flex work week schedule and 4 weeks vacation to start
Cons
Limited career advancement opportunities. Some (minor) bureaucracy
Welcome to the boys Club
Project Lead (Current Employee) –  SFU Burnaby23 June 2015
This is a great place to work, even more so if you are a guy. I have worked here for almost 2 years and I have only ever seen 1 non-male employee. Which is the biggest drawback to working here, I can't confirm if my managers are actually sexist or if they just don't have any female applicants but regardless it is very weird to have 0 women on staff. Other then that these guys are great, they work with you about your schedule and they are always willing to train you up to make sure you know what you are doing. The salary could be better but I understand why it is what it is.
Pros
learn new stuff, make friends, have fun
Cons
potentially sexist managers.
Temporary job
Convocation Regalia Distributor (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC.23 June 2015
It was just a temporary job. We were meant to work during and after convocation. Helped in distributing regalia, moving them out of the truck etc.
Great work environment
Assistant Coach (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC28 May 2015
I was treated very well, with respectful athletes and coworkers alike. I greatly enjoyed my time there, and I learned a lot from all of my experience.
Working as a TA
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 May 2015
I was a TA, which meant putting together tutorials and marking.

It was an excellent job that let me use my facilitation skills. I had a great instructor and really developed my skills.

4.2