Simon Fraser University Employee Reviews

Rewarding student position
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC20 November 2016
- Consistent and manageable hours
- Salary is flat rate
- Management and co-workers depends on your instructor and other TAs
- Hardest part is clearly communicating steps and solution to learning material
- Most enjoyable is engaging with students about their personal interests
Productive and supportive workplace with great staff and various departments to work for
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC26 June 2016
Great place to work for with variety of departments to work under. Great supportive staff and environment. Lots of great benefits and good job security. However, the pace of the organization is a little slow given that it is in public sector and in a union environment. Would be great for professionals later in their career stage looking to settle down and not have a high demand for change.
Productive and fun job as a Physics Outreach Assistant
Physics Outreach Assistant (Current Employee) –  British Columbia13 December 2016
During working periods, communication was an asset during outreach sessions which were conducted on physics experiments as well as during surveys. I improved upon my communication skill in an academic tone and my knowledge on excel spreadsheets, improved with every survey data i analyzed. My supervisor was open-minded and understanding. Everything initially seemed hard, and all new to me, but I improved with every passing moment of the job. Networking with the MS, PhD and even some Physics Professors were the most adorable moment of the job.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Fun and good work environment
Researcher (un paid) (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC17 September 2016
I have learned many things such as how to handle C.elegans worms, how to inject them, pick them and prepare many solutions necessary for the lab. My supervisor was very nice, she taught me patiently and have always been there when even I had a concern.
In doing my research, getting good results and waiting for them was can be the toughest part for this position. While the best part was trying all the new protocols and visualizing the new marked C.elegans worm on the microscope.
Pros
There is free lunch every Friday
Challenging environment
Student Investment Advisory Service (SIAS) (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 December 2016
Fun and friendly atmosphere. The opportunity exposed me to learn the various aspects of investment management. A great mix of theory and practical aspects of working in a investment fund.
Productive and fun place to work and have a PhD life
Research and Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC29 August 2016
So far I have spent 3 years of my life at Simon Fraser University. Throughout these years I have learned how to interact with people having different backgrounds and cultures and how to manage my life and balance it with my work. PhD studies require hard work and patience, however, the result is what can make me satisfiend.
Teaching students and making them understand felt good.
Teaching Assistant for Undergraduate Courses (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC7 January 2017
I TA'd for a whole bunch of courses and it was always fun working with professors and students. Teaching students helps you learn a lot of the minute details which you often miss when you are just studying on your own. It was a good practise for my coding skills.
best place I ever worked
Student Technician and Technical Lead (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 December 2016
This position was by far and away my favorite. In this job I got to do all the fun networking I thought I would never work with again. Fiber hubs, amps, ONTs, headends the whole 9 yards I can't say enough good things about this job.
Pros
everything
Cons
Enjoyable and helped develop my interpersonal skills
Recreation Sports Manager, Part time, 8hrs/wk (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC19 May 2015
My position as a Recreation Manager for SFU Recreation required versatility, a team mentality and excellent interpersonal skills. I was a fitting representative for SFU Recreation, where they promote active living and personal health in student life. I have received the Recreational Promotion and Leadership Awards multiple times in my time with this organization. This position required multitasking through managing multiple sport leagues with diverse teams of students, who differ in majors and years of study. In every semester, I am responsible for upwards of 200 participants and 10 staff members, of which I am the main point of communication. In my evaluation meetings, I am praised for my ability to form positive relationships with many participants.
Welcome to the boys Club
Project Lead (Current Employee) –  SFU Burnaby23 June 2015
This is a great place to work, even more so if you are a guy. I have worked here for almost 2 years and I have only ever seen 1 non-male employee. Which is the biggest drawback to working here, I can't confirm if my managers are actually sexist or if they just don't have any female applicants but regardless it is very weird to have 0 women on staff. Other then that these guys are great, they work with you about your schedule and they are always willing to train you up to make sure you know what you are doing. The salary could be better but I understand why it is what it is.
Pros
learn new stuff, make friends, have fun
Cons
potentially sexist managers.
Depends on the Department
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC12 April 2016
Depending on the department you work with the job as a TA can either be enjoyable or not. It also depends on the professor you are assigned to. I have had both wonderful and horrible experiences as a TA and that is in part due to professors I have worked with and the administration of my department. In some cases the administration did not work to help me in other cases it did. It really just depends.

There is a lot of work attached to being a TA and if you have a great professor and good administrative help You are happy to do it. If you don't? It is like you are living a nightmare that will never end. Also sometimes your department just works against you in terms of providing jobs. I am a graduate student and need an income, this was said to be for the most part guaranteed, it's not. That's something that should be said.
Pros
Great Professors
Cons
Bad Professors
Health education/promotion expert
Presenter (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 July 2016
-two different projects;
- working with seniors;
-teaching them technology;
-assessing their social improvement;
-working in teams with other fantastic co-workers;
- the most enjoyable part were working with lovely seniors and teamwork
Pros
Fun and academic
Cons
Temporary job
People who need a reality check.
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC23 February 2016
Run for the door.

Last place you want to work, unless you like working with under qualified people with little to no management experience. People who work here seem to think they are superb individuals who have no idea how to treat other people with respect. Campus Security is a joke with a contracted company that pays minimal wage for workers. The entire time I was working with SFU I was scared to walk to my car as the school has countless less desirable individuals around. I worked in the library and there was a theft every single hour. If you want to work in a rat invested environment, with little to no respect by all means. But if you value your being run for the door.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Everything else.
Educational and rewarding environment
Teaching Assistant and Tutor Marker (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC24 April 2016
TA and TM positions require patience, discipline and hardwork particularly for first year courses. If you get positive feedback and students are receptive to your input then it can be a very rewarding job. However, for the amount of work you do particularly outside the hours you don't get paid nearly enough.
SFU provides many opportunities to engage with the University Community.
Production Support (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC12 April 2016
I have witnessed many changes with SFU in the years was part of the community as a staff member, student and community volunteer,

My work days were rarely typical as my assignments varied depending upon our department's projects.
Pros
Tuition Waivers
Cons
Long commute with expensive parking and now tolls.
High Quality Education
Student-Athlete Tutor (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC22 April 2016
SFU has helped provide me with the skills and knowledge needed for me to work in the field of public health. This program gave me a good combination of theory and practice in this field.
Great University to work with
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC22 November 2013
As one of the top Economics department, SFU is definitely a great university to work with. It provides nice offices for staffs, and the secretary there are nice and helpful. The best thing is that you get all the free time and free style of teaching as a teaching assistant.
Pros
freedom
Cons
Salary is not high
Interesting, fun and excellent place to work
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Finance26 July 2015
Good place to work, steady workload, not a significant amount of overtime, excellent work/life balance, a lot of autonomy, interesting projects and a good / friendly work culture.
Pros
Potential flex work week schedule and 4 weeks vacation to start
Cons
Limited career advancement opportunities. Some (minor) bureaucracy
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC13 February 2013
Most professors respect the need to balance work as a TA, life as a student and a social life outside. The union is pretty good about ensuring a standard minimum standard is there too, and helps you out if you are in trouble.

Salary is soso, enough to get by but not much else.
A great institution
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC11 August 2014
Simone Fraser University was a very nice place to work and the people were great.
Pros
Excellent location, great people, nice salary
Cons
No cleanroom facilities

4.3