Siemens

1.7K reviews

Siemens Employee Reviews

My work life at Siemens Westinghouse.
CNC Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONOctober 1, 2013
We were a three shift operation,working static shifts I worked 11 pm. to 7am. Typically I would arrive early to go over the shift prior to mine with the afternoon operator, then either carry on with what ever job was loaded or load another diaphram for laser welding..
Over the years at Siemens -Westinghouse power generation I learned many skills ..I worked as a gas and plasma shape cutter operator,Fitter welder (tig Welding), Paint shop, and finally,CNC Laser welding and cutting. Our management team worked hand in hand with our labour force,, with very good communications and cooperation .we produced high quality extremely efficient Gas turbine engines,the largest 60 hz. turbine in the world.. Working here was a pleasure,, We had many company activities. ie::golf tournaments, family outings , Christmas parties ,etc. I've never considered my job hard, but more mentally challenging,, but enjoyable..
Learning new skills was by far the most enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
excellent wages, good benefits, good work environment
Cons
plant closure and moving to the us
Large corporation that offers a lot of different opportunities if you make the right political connections.
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ONJuly 5, 2013
In Canada, Siemens decided to change their entire method of tracking and documenting a projects status and the billing methods. This exercise went off the rails almost immediately due to a lack of preparation and understanding of the complexities involved in making such a radical change in operational procedures. There was a considerable amount of confusion created among the rank and file, resulting in a serious decline in the companies cashflow and ultimately the laying off of a large number of personnel.
Pros
broad range of project types allow for a stimulating work environment, coworkers are generally very solid people.
Cons
upper management is disconnected from the realities of each "profit center", and operate in a reactionary environment without much forethought or a plan.
A clean Inviroment, Friendly people and a fair Corporation.
Inventory Clerk Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ONNovember 30, 2015
Working for Siemens Canada give me great confidence in myself due to the trust and cooperation relationship the company have with employees.
A day of work mean, communication had to be the at the top of the list to make sure we meet dead lines to keep our customer happy.
Management always try to stay on top of the business and alternative solutions to any circumstantial issues that can arise on a day to day bases, for the prosperity of the company.
The hardest part of the job was to deal with difficult or unhappy customers, and find applicable solutions.
But the must enjoyable part of the job, was to work with good people, who beside being friendly they have integrity, trust, pride on their job, and to do whats right.
I enjoyed working for Siemens Canada all those years.
Pros
Great Company to work for.
Cons
The termination of my Job.
Amazing Platform for newcomers to excel in their professional lives
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  PakistanOctober 31, 2015
I held this position during the pursuit of an undergraduate degree and it takes little time for students to understand how things work in practical world but I was very fortunate as I got The best environment and management which always made me feel home.
I polished my skills of accounting and finance by applying them in real life and all those Accounting Standards which were so difficult to understand when I was studying them now seems very easy to apply and one can get a lot of sense out of them.
The hardest Part of the job would be my presentation of the reports specially in front of managers and senior management and once you knew that it went good and everyone was happy with your work made it the most enjoyable part of the job as it boosted my confidence and determination to achieve more.
Very fun place to work with great people.
Electrical Apprentice - Comercial (Current Employee) –  The bow, Calgary AlbertaOctober 2, 2012
I liked working for Siemens, i am only wanting to leave and look for new work because i feel i need to learn more electrical at my level of apprenticeship. The management on the other hand was very poor, in regards to having material on site when needed and job explanation and management. A typical day at work would be to just show up on time and you would be told then what you where going to do.. if there was anything. My first year there i did allot of bending pipe and pulling wire, along with terminations. Nothing was ever hard about the job besides baring the heat at the bow some days. The most enjoyable part of the day would just be working with great co-workers. only real negative thing is the teaching of things was poor.
Pros
great co workers, lots of pipe bending.
Cons
poor management, lack of work.
Productive ,energetic and hard worker.
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Concord, ONJuly 18, 2014
Typical work day I prefer to work in a happy and friendly environment this will motivate me more and will increase my productivity. I like my management to give me freedom and let me work independently.
I have more than a decade experience in my job and I have been working with many employers in different industries and learned a lot from each of them.
Being positive ,hard worker , quick learner, team worker, and so many other good qualities were are the result of my several years experiences in accounting.
I am studying toward my CGA as part time student and I am hoping to complete my designation in near future.
Hardest part of job is month end closing which needs to work more hours and to be able to handle your street to meet the deadline.
My Time with Siemns-Trench
LEAD SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 25, 2013
Working for SIEMENS means a lot. Specially for Siemens -Trench
where we make Reactors to power transmission industry across the globe. I have learned Engineering design, Manufacturing methods, and new Lean Six Sigma Implementation tools. Handing work force who have an average 20 years service with the company. it's great place to work for !.
My Typical day of work is being on the production floor most of time...sorting out human related, technical related, productivity related, maintenance related issues in order to get the final best results at end of the day. being proactive in APS...Advance production planning system.
Results have shown what we could do better by implementing and using new methods.
Good Place to work for
Sr. Information Security Analyst (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONOctober 1, 2015
* Typical day at work is hectic and high pressure; many phone calls & emails
* I learn to multitask and handle difficult issues and resolve them at orderly & professional manner
* I learn to work in high pressure environment with positive attitude
* management structure can be improved and have less layers
* Co-workers all very friendly and team oriented
* The hardest part of the job is driving more than 2 hours to and from work
* help people by providing my expertise and they appreciate it
* Good company to work; flexible work schedules; allows work from home part of the week.
Pros
flexible work schedules
Cons
Complex organizational structures
Interesting place to work, challenging work
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONNovember 7, 2012
Not a bad place to work, sometimes challenging and exciting opportunities, projects, tasks available for employees with some initiitive. Good wages and a nice office enviroment. I made a lot of friends and enjoyed my job most days. Unfortunately being a foreign owned company the work was pulled out of Hamilton and moved to the US. and the Hamilton plant shutdown. Somewhat top heavy with Management types who weren't always in tune with the rank and file employees.
Pros
good wages, good office enviroment, good employees
Cons
foreign owned, management not in tune with employees
very good place
Technical Support Specialist / NOC Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 17, 2014
very good place and Performed Managed Microsoft domain services including Active directory, Creating, deleting user account

groups, assign rights and permissions for files and folders, mapping network paths, security

permissions, Security patch update, DNS, DHCP, VPN, FTP etc. Troubleshoot and resolve all the issues

related to the clients machine on windows platform Windows XP, Windows 7. Remote in through

net meeting, bp portal, fastsupport.com, logmein123.com, gotoassist.com, Teamviewer whenever necessary.

Want to know more about Siemens?

Ask a question
Productive friendly enviroment
Electrician Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 2, 2015
Great place to work a lot of the guys were really close, the work was repetative just a lot of conduit bending but the bosses were great and easy to talk to. Best part of the job was easily that it didnt feel like work half the time and the end of the day would come by quickly with a bunch of things compeleted. Only downside is its hard to advance seeing as youre on contract and i would want something more permenant.
Pros
Lunch near a food court, early start and off time so missed traffic.
Cons
hard to advance.
keep away
COMMERCIAL/CONTROLS ELECTRICIAN (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 12, 2015
not a very good place to be. no right now and maybe no for a while.

few years back they had a great sales team, they push some of their key members to the point that they broke and decided to quite and move on to other companies, hired new sales personal with little to no experience in the industry that in order to meet their quota under price some jobs, putting a lot of pressure on the operation side of things. management has handle the situation very poorly.
Pros
Cons
politics
A good world class organisation with a track record of global success
Business Developer- Major accounts (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaMarch 23, 2014
Great people, Great company. I have represented Siemens and demonstrated its strengths to major Oil and Gas companies and EPC's.. worked on bussiness development including proposal manager. Worked for in major projects of TransCanada, Shell, Imperial.
Pros
depth of product's and services
Cons
expanding in calgary
Pettiness among greatness
CSR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 19, 2012
You will find this division a tough one if you don't have eyes in the back of your head for back-stabbers. Also, watch out for the daggers that may come your way. Great company on paper but lots of internal problems. Depts very inward looking. Managers do not encourage advancement.
Pros
lunches
Cons
cattiness, finger-pointing, inward focus, caught up in the past
Stressful place that is highly orgranized
Substation Engineer (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONAugust 20, 2015
All departments are working against each other.
There is no synergy between divisions.
The company is very top heavy. Too much management, not enough employees.
Coworkers are working hard to make it work.
Working from home reduces commuting stress.
Pros
Working from home
Cons
Very long hours with little recognition
Productive and busy work place
Electrical Engineer analysis (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONJanuary 18, 2016
Always managing a new bid using Microsoft word/excel. I learned a lot of different skills at work such as time management is very important and always staying organized. I enjoyed working there for my 4 months coop and hopefully i find something with similar culture.
Pros
Free Breakfast
Cons
Traffic
never seen a company run the way they do.
not telling (Former Employee) –  not tellingJanuary 8, 2014
Good place to work but they have found a loophole in the system that enables the employees receive no overtime pay when you do work extra hours (to those working 4 days on....4 days off) You must work a certain amount of hours without missing 1 hour otherwise no o.t. pay. Not recommended to people with families.
Productive and quality oriented.
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 14, 2015
Flexible work hours
Understand and commit.
Top level management is open for discussion.
Nice colleagues.
Nothing hard. Some individual wave length matching matters.
Highly flexible. Real multi culture is missing in some parts.
Pros
some time free lunch.
Cons
depends on work hours will be extended on your own.
UX Designer
UX designer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 15, 2013
10+ years of experience as a UX/UI designer working with web and mobile applications focusing on; Conception and creation of design solutions, detailed functional specification documents, and scalable dynamic user interfaces working with a wide range of interface design tools for clients across multiple industries
Gigantic company with diversified product and services portfolios
Director, Oil & Gas Solutions (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 31, 2015
Large employer, who treat their people right and reward them too. Flexible working environment but result oriented. Multi cultural employees with global management and resources.
Pros
Great Benefits program
Cons
Rapid and constant change of management