Shred-It Employee Reviews in Canada

don't even bother...
CSR/Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 10, 2016
I could list all the things wrong with this company but they just don't care. Just don't even bother applying/working for this company or using their service.
Pros
4 day work week
Cons
too much too list
Among the best
SAP Consultant (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONMay 1, 2016
For the most part, work is well divided and you know your responsibilities. There is minimal interference and very high levels of motivation.
Productive, Fast paced
CSR - D/Z Driver (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONApril 27, 2016
I would Pre-trip my truck,
Make sure I have what I needed to do the job for the day.
Go to customers and pick up any paper that needed shredding. Talk to customers about the service.
Travelled to Guelph, Mississauga, London. Various routes.
Get back to shop at end of day, do a post-trip and then unload papers and documents that needed shredding.
Finish paperwork
inside sales exec 2013
inside sales exec (Former Employee) –  Cambridge OntarioFebruary 18, 2016
Team work was NOT a part of office morale in Cambridge. Breaking people down, stealing accounts and cheating was more the style that was preferred! I would never recommend this.company to anyone. GO TO THE COMPETITION!!!! They are cheaper, more.secure and treat the employees fair!
The small tight cubicles sucked, the heat barely worked, I brought in my fireplace and left it when I quit so other people wouldn't be cold and I had the most uncomfortable chair, I ended up going and buying my own because they were too cheap to supply one that was actually correct for my Posture! yes, a very CHEAP company with no care for the worker indeed!!!
Pros
straight days, decent money
Cons
worked every community shred day not by choice, Management at the top was a dink, favouritism for employees was definitely shown by dink top manager, several large accounts were lost due to negligence, neglect and employee carelessness in other said branch.
Treats you like family
Contact Center Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONJanuary 8, 2016
This company is overall a great company to work for. The staff and management are extremely nice and welcoming. The wages and benefits are up to my standards for to help my family.
Pros
great staff
Cons
Long days
productive and fun
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONNovember 5, 2015
Cintas was bought out by Shred-it and it continued to be a great environment to work for with the company treating all employees the same from the employees in the plant to the upper management
Pros
spirit day at beginning of summer and lunch provided various times during the year
Cons
hours are regular
Great place to work at, and the staff is supportive and great management
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONSeptember 24, 2015
Its a great place to work at; the management team is very supportive and there is a potential to grow and advancement from what the other staff has told me. A lot of my co-workers have only said great things about the quality and work life balance at Shred-it.
worst working conditions ever
Warehouse clerk (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONSeptember 23, 2015
-Supervisor is extremely rude, angry all the time and favors his countrymen.
-You can NOT sit down and rest for five seconds. "If you sit down you will be fired'
-Boring job.
-Unhealthy work environment.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
Long hours, lifting all day long, unprofessional supervisor
horrible place to work
customer service (Former Employee) –  OakvilleAugust 17, 2015
Horrible place to work! Definitely overworked employees!! Everyone is miserable and the day never ends. 8 to 5 is just too long. Not managed well and the front desk never answers the phone, all the calls get dropped or end up in customer service or customers hang up and probably go to the competition. Thank goodness I am no longer there!!!
horrible place to work! don't waste your time here...
associate (Former Employee) –  oakvilleJuly 22, 2015
Very low energy, everyone is shoved into little cubicles and you feel like a rat in a maze. Data entry central...boring and zero office morale. There is no direction or feeling of being welcome when you come in as a new hire. If you like to dress nice this is not the place for you, people are wearing flip flops looking sloppy. Management is unethical, treating you like you don't matter. I would not recommend this place to anyone!!!
Pros
Cons
everything!!
Supportive Co- workers
Accounts Payable Associate (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONJune 29, 2015
Really bad place to work, the supervisors and management team are very inefficient. Do not give any respect to the employees and hold personal grudges against them.
Comfortable inviting enviroment.
Inside Sale Executive (Former Employee) –  CoquitlamApril 20, 2015
I was a temporary but the atmosphere was very welcoming. The individuals working their are pleasant and respectful. The management is on track and resourceful. They listen to the complaints of their customers and their employees. Wish my time their was longer.
Intense and unbalanced
Inside Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONMarch 24, 2015
The potential is good, but this company has just gone through a merger and needs some kinks worked out. Most of my coworkers are great, but there are a couple that are a detriment to the branch as a whole.
Has potential to improve
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  East YorkMarch 22, 2015
Shred-it has potential to improve and become a decent place to work at but it appears to suffer due to poor management. The workload has increased significantly, while being understaffed and operating out of an outgrown facility and being provided with either dangerous or unreliable equipment.
Good atmosphere and culture among co-workers
Very physically demanding
reliable hours with available overtime
Pros
good amount of hours and opportunity for overtime
Cons
overworked and understaffed
Good Team
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONJanuary 5, 2015
I like to work in SAP System
Job was very good
Co-worker was supportive
Management was amazing
Very hard work at times.
Driver/Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONMay 20, 2014
Think paper isn't very heavy? Try lifting 200 or more Banker Boxes full of it or large bags that can hold up to 100 lbs of paper and think again. Most times boxes are splitting apart as well, making lifting harder.

Customers are the worst part of the job. They routinely overfill 'console' boxes, jamming them full of paper because they don't want to have to pay for another console. They will pile stuff in front of console forcing you to move their stuff to service it. When they have a 'purge' they will pile up their stuff in basements or other inaccessible areas forcing you to carry stuff outside by hand.

You will often be lied to by customers, they say '10 boxes' you show up and there is 50 or more and you are not scheduled to have enough time to shred them so you fall behind quickly.

And God Forbid if you are dealing with their splitting lidless boxes outside and a few sheets of paper blow away in the wind, that is considered a 'Security Breach' and you will be fired. Even if the customer had truck doors you could have used to keep out of the wind and load more efficiently but they insisted you park outside on a city street on a very windy day.
Pros
straight days business working hours.
Cons
brutal hard work, ignorant customers, ill-fitting uniforms, rules for everything!

Comment – January 31, 2015

It is just like this, more often than not. Avoid this company unless you really can't find anything better.

Nice place to work
Client Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONMarch 23, 2014
Corporate atmosphere. Very quiet. Management and co-workers are always willing to assist you if needed. Very team orientated. Friendly atmosphere.
Satisfactory Employment with Little Room to Advance
SAP System Analyst (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONMarch 5, 2014
Contract work provided good pay and a satisfactory work experience. General morale seemed low. Little room to move; higher positions often outsourced while long-term employees floundered.
good job - terrible communication
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONDecember 11, 2013
this was an average job in the field. if you got your work done, management was happy.
Pros
hours
Cons
communication
Productive and fun workplace with Pool table
Sr. Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONOctober 28, 2013
* Developing and motivated work atmosphere

* Highly enthusiastic and educated cultured co-workers