Shoppers Drug Mart

Shoppers Drug Mart Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good job for students / Seniors
Front Store Manager (Former Employee), London, ONJune 11, 2015
Pros: Employees discount, Safe working environment.
Cons: Negative working environment, Very stressful., Too many non-essential daily tasks and checklists, Corporate Office resources are very disrespectful towards store management teams, Not enough labor hours to operate the business effectively. Heavy workload.
This company is top heavy and treats their store management teams with no respect at all. Corporate Office uses fear and intimidation to motivate. There are too many non-essential make-work projects and daily checklists that staff can't keep up with. Corporate Office always cutting back so many hours in the stores that t has a very negative impact on customer service and staff morale. This is a good job for a p/t student or senior but not a good choice if you're looking for a career in retail management.
a second home
Photo Lab Technician (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 2, 2015
Pros: Friendly staff
Cons: long hours
Shoppers Drug Mart was my very first job, as a cashier i was new to the idea of working, but management made me feel very comfortable. When our hours changed from 10 pm to 12 am, i had mentioned i felt a little intimidating closing by myself at such late hours, and so the accommodated me until i felt comfortable again. Few times did a customer wrongly blame the cashiers for when a price was mismatched, and management really took our side and defended. After being there for a long time, i took interested in the photo lab department, it became evident that during the slow times i could handle both departments and so i received proper training to officially work the department. The most challenging part was making sure the passport photos were taken to perfection and met the government standards.
Not the best place to work at
Photo Lab Technician (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 25, 2015
Pros: good experience for customer service
Cons: long hours, unfair staff, wasnt treated properly at work, was not trained properly
A typical day at work would be;
I would do anywhere from five-thirty passport pictures a day under stressful situations since I worked the photo lab alone.
I also had to balance developing pictures, working as a cashier and talking passport pictures.
I did household chores such as over stock, dusting, sweeping etc...
I learned that it can be very difficult working in customer service but its up to me as an employee to make my customers happy.
While working at shoppers I did meet a lot of people who I loved working with but there were also the people who didn't make it too enjoyable which is normal and present at any job.

I felt like I wasnt treated with as much respect as employee's should be.
Shoppers Work Environment
Food Merchandiser/Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Okotoks, ABFebruary 27, 2014
As a Food Merchandiser my job is very physical and requires a lot of attention to detail. Rotation of product, Date checking and ensuring qaulity controls of the many food products Shoppers carries is challenging, but rewarding when you can guarantee the job is done well each and every day.
The store I work for has a wonderful work-life balance and my co-workers are amazing. Everyone does what they can when faced with difficult situations and that was no exception this past summer during the flood of 2013.
The Owners, Managers, and staff all put forward their best efforts to keep clients happy, and going out of their way to assit so many in need. I am very proud to work for an organization that puts the value of not only their clients first but the value of their staff.
sales and results oriented
Associate/Pharmacist (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJuly 10, 2013
Pros: good learning environment
Cons: life/work balance is hard to achieve
Sales and labor targets must be achieved on a weekly basis.
A typical day in the job will start with walking the sales flour with the front store manger and/or part of his team to make sure the front shop is up to the standards. followed by dispensing at the pharmacy, which also included patient and pharmaceutical care. After my pharmacy work is done I will spend some time reviewing my emails and going over the finances and/or working with the team on the job tasks we have to accomplish.
I mostly learned how to achieve productivity during my day at work, manage several aspects of the business and connect the dots together.
The hardest part was managing people.......
I enjoyed every aspect of my job, taking care of my patient was the best part. .
Management was horrible
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONApril 20, 2015
Pros: nothing
Cons: everything
I worked at Upper Ottawa and Mohawk shoppers for over a year and it was not anything that's I expected. The management wasn't the greatest and supervisors were all bullies, along with the manager. Constant gossip and rudeness. One supervisor would yell at employees AND customers. She would smoke in front of the doors on her break. She was always yelling and saying rude things to people. Tasks were expected to be completed in an unrealistic time frame. Hours were ridiculous. I was constantly called in for 3 hour shifts. And when I worked until midnight, the other cashier was done at 7 or 8 on the BUSIEST promotion days. The only thing I like about this place was I would walk to work. Other than that, this place was so horrible and I will never recommend anybody to work for this store.
Very fast paced and high attention to detail
Cashier/ Acting Supervisor (Former Employee), Surrey, BCApril 30, 2012
Pros: discounts and optimum points
Cons: constantly short staffed and barely any hours
A typical day was very busy depending on which shift it was. The busiest were first thing in the morning and right after school hour in the evening. I learned many new things as well as learning a new computer system for processing transactions. I really enjoyed engaging with my coworkers; all were really friendly and accepting I never had a problem, it was great. Now the hardest part of the job was trying to keep a fast paced work environment with being short staffed at some points during the day as well as the heavy lifting for inventory stocking. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to help people get what they needed as well as seeing my coworkers ,whom I loved working with everyday.
Productive and Amazing Atmosphere
Post Office Clerk (Former Employee), Maple, OntarioJanuary 6, 2013
Pros: great christmas parties.
My job experience as a Post Office Clerk at Shoppers Drug Mart was absolutely amazing. I could say I loved almost everything about it, from my co-workers, to my managers understanding of how it was working and being a student at the same time, to our customers, to the responsibilities and most of all, the culture and family environment everyone created together as a whole.

I'd say the hardest part of the job was when I had to quit because I was permanently moving to the UK. Working at Shoppers Drug Mart for 4 years really made me feel like I was losing family by leaving. Till today, I try to visit my old workplace everytime I visit Toronto, Canada and I am still welcomed with big smiles. I feel very lucky to have had the chance to work with such wonderful people.
Fast paced work environment, great staff
Photo Lab Technician (Current Employee), Windsor, ONNovember 14, 2012
Pros: great people
Cons: angry customers
A typical day at work begins with the daily setup of the negative and paper machines, and setting up the cash register. Once the machines are ready, we are required to check the infinity board to see what other work we have to do during our shift. The day consists of numerous customers coming in and dropping off film to be developed and printed, and also to use our kiosk computers to develop their photographs. Customers can also come in to get passport, permanent residence, Native status, and firearm license photographs done as well.

I learned how to effectively multitask numerous jobs at once, while maintaining great customer service.

The management team is a great group of people. They are always there to listen to what you have to say.
A relatively stress free and relaxed atmosphere. A good place to work.
Front Store Supervisor (Former Employee), Lasalle, ONMay 27, 2014
Pros: good people, light physical labour, break times in accordance with canadian law.
Cons: chronic complaining, general workplace gossiping
A typical day at work in a supervisor capacity can vary widely. Managing stock on the floor is the primary description of the job. Interacting with customers, solving problems, balancing tills, and keeping a clean store front round out a typical shift.

Management tends to be reasonable and accommodating in most circumstances. Co-workers generally have good attitudes, though perhaps have a tendency to complain more necessary.

The job is not difficult if you possess even a moderate degree of common sense.

I most enjoyed the social aspects of the job: interacting with both co-workers and customers.
Fun place to work but a little
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONOctober 1, 2013
During my time at Shoppers Drug Mart, I quickly learned how to work under pressure as there were at least two major sale days each week where every member of staff had to be on the floor/running a till. I learned how to work as part of a team and how to handle difficult customers with a good attitude.
While my manager and I weren't always on great terms, I did think my supervisors and co-workers were absolutely fantastic. The owner of this particular Shoppers was pretty great too, she was always friendly with the staff while still remaining professional.
But the manager had very obvious favourites and often 'lost her cool' with the staff. Rather than correct mistakes, she terminated hard working staff members which caused many of the staff to lack the motivation to work.
Very fun, productive place to work
Cosmetician (Current Employee), Newmarket, ONMay 5, 2014
Pros: friendly staff and customers
Cons: working til midnight
I absolutely love working at Shoppers Drug Mart I have been working for Shoppers for about 4 years now. My co-workers are fun to work with a make my work life fun and enjoyable and not to mention the customers that come in are just wonderful to work with everyday. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping people find what they came in to look for, and being able to make the customer happy. I would say the only hard part of my job is have to work until midnight, is sometimes a bit of a downfall but other than that part I absolutely love working for Shoppers Drug Mart. The managment at Shoppers is productive and hard working and very friendly and caring of their staff, and I have learned so much from working for Shoppers Drug Mart.
Productive and friendly environment
Pharmacy Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto , OntarioOctober 20, 2012
Pros: discount on buying items from the store and gaining optimum points
Cons: sometimes getting late to go home due to busy hours
Every day handled many duties including printing sales reports, filling labels, stationary, filing, generating scripts
I have learnt a lot of new things including outbox reconciliation, inventory management, managing workflow in a smart que system.
Management is so smooth and friendly.
Coordinate with co-workers in learning new things and sharing information and helping and working like a team.
Hardest part of the job calling third parties/ Doctor's offices for information verification, which is more important and time consuming
Enjoying the work environment by maintaining friendly relations with co-workers and pharmacists
Very unique place to work at. Gained experience throughout job.
Part time Merchandiser and Post Office Clerk (Current Employee), Red Deer, AbApril 29, 2014
Pros: 30% of bill
Cons: n/a
Most of the time a fast paced day and working with multiple employees and customers. Most enjoyable thing about my job is that I wasn't stuck doing one job and it changed every day though similar tasks. Management was good and they handle to the floor, bask stock and customer service with a professional manner. Not a big fan of how many co-worker came and went ...Not to sure if it was the store or something that contradicted the ex co-workers life. The hardest part of my job was breaking out of my shyness shell and becoming more of a friend and a good sales associate/clerk. Learned how to manage a store , run a till and how to set up a new store in less then 3 months..multiple tasks that i have never done before.
Management, and the store system/policies were not beneficial to us employees or the customers
Merchandiser (Former Employee), Dartmouth, NSMay 27, 2013
Pros: got a higher pay than most other employers
Cons: management, operating system, missed a lot of breaks, helpless
I felt helpless. The only part of my job I could do independently was stocking the shelves. The system the cash registers operate on always requires authorization. On Saturday's when the stores lined up to the back, when all the cashiers are needing authorization, the customers get angry with us. I also only recieved training on the cash registers. Nobody ever taught me how things outback worked, like the computer, the lists, etc. and management seemed non-existant. I enjoyed most of my co-workers, and only a couple of the management members.The policies were also not followed often by the management.
Productive place but not enough hours to support a happy living. Great staff and management.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Stephenville, NFLDApril 29, 2014
Pros: great staff
Cons: not enough hours
A typical work day included opening cash, serving customers, keeping area clean and tidy, along with keeping shelves stocked at all times.
I learned how to do the Lottery machines which can be tricky at times. Very fast paced environment in which being prompt and courteous with customers s there number one priority.
Management are very helpful and patient with new employees and very understanding.
Co-workers are very friendly and helpful.
the hardest part of the job for me was getting the Lottery to balance out.
the most enjoyable part of the job was serving customers and making them smile, cause you never know how good or bad of a day someone is having.
Managing team of seven people in a Cosmetics environment, scheduling, inventory control. events, orders, marketing
Cosmetics Manager (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONJune 2, 2013
Cosmetics Manager with overseeing the daily operations of entire retail business, scheduling, arranging different events, gift with purchases, accurate inventory control, stock orders/transfers/outbound marketing
Balancing total sales with records at the end of the shift
Preparing weekly schedules for the department (seven people)
Professional skincare analysis and make-up applications
Handling telephone inquires from customers and sales reps
Taking care of the entire cosmetics department/booking appointments/organizing galas and various cosmetics events.
Make- up applications/skin care consultations/inventory control/gift with purchases
The atmosphere was mediocre.
Cash Manager (Former Employee), toronto ONFebruary 22, 2013
Pros: nothing
Cons: long hours, no appreciation for the work done, belittlement, non competetive wages.
Everything was completely fast paced which was great. I have learned the value of time management, multitasking, how to be a manager and have upgraded on both my interpersonal and customer service skills. Management was great at times but still had further barriers in regards to further advancement. Co-workers were extremely difficult which has also made me learn to compromise and still get the work completed efficiently. The hardest part of the job would be the co-workers as well as the demanding task with little or no appreciation. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to meet new people on a daily basis and pushing myself above my previous goals.
Cosmetics at Shoppers
Cosmetician (Former Employee), Burlington, ONOctober 2, 2013
Pros: great employee discount, great coworkers
Cons: a lot of standing
The cosmetics department at Shoppers Drug Mart is a fantastic place to work! The people who work in the department are usually energetic and love to help the customers who come in. The hardest part of the job, i would say is convincing customers to join a client file to receive promotional information, even though our requirement was to have 3 or 4 client file sign ups per shift. The most enjoyable part of the job was going through the makeup during down time, or doing a foundation match-up on a customer. The management was OK considering there was a lot of responsibilities for her, she seemed to be altogether and had her priorities straight. I would love to work for Shoppers again, I enjoyed the job.
Great atmopshere, Great people
Cosmeticion (Current Employee), Niagara, ONMay 28, 2015
Everyday at work I go over any memos I need to catch up on(any new promos or merch that is going on in the store. I have learned that It is really important to know the ins and out of each department not only my own. The management at shoppers is really approachable and easy to talk to and they have a great family like atmosphere. The hardest part of my job is making sure I greet every single customer that walks into the doors. They are really strict about this and want to make sure not one person passes without saying a friendly greeting. Its hard because I cant walk away from the front for very long and a lot of our product is far from the front. I love being able to find products that customer not only loves but gets amazing points just by spending money.
Headquarters