Shoppers Drug Mart / Pharmaprix

Shoppers Drug Mart / Pharmaprix Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 1,581 reviews matching the search
Enjoyed working with the public
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKJune 25, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of doing a low merchandise stock using the PDT system, rotating merchandise on shelves, restocking merchandise, setting up displays for promotions, and assisting customers.

I learned how to do the ordering for merchandise in the store when the manager wasnt present.

The hardest part of the job was trying to find the diplays from the back to set up in the store, was disorganized and difficult to access anything.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the customer service and being able to assist them.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Disorganized
Terrible management but enjoyed working with makeup.
Cosmetician (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 18, 2016
Loved working as a cosmetician, was able to build a solid clientele and learnt about all kinds of brands by going to (sometimes) paid seminars. Free makeup was cool. Coworkers were nice.

Management was terrible though, not supportive and negative, expected too much and wasn't appreciative. Wasn't treated with respect there by management. Didn't think this company would be that bad, but maybe it was just that store, keep in mind each store is individually owned.
Pros
discount, free makeup, cosmetic experience
Cons
poor management
Good focus on customers and community. Overall a suitable company to work for
Front Store Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ONMay 25, 2016
-Typical day at work: Work cash alone for most of the shift, if no customers face the store, get breaks when told (usually on time), and maintain cleanliness
-Training on cash for first day. Cash is straightforward and easy to learn. Training in general is casual and done as needed by staff working that day/night
-Co-workers: mostly women, all inviting and friendly. Added into friendliness are clicks and gossip
-Keeping entertained. When customers are not around the job gets quite boring
-Best part of the job is customer interactions
Pharmacy Technician
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  4841 yonge stApril 8, 2016
- I manage all the blister pack patient including, preparing medications, billing, recording, changing medications, and delivery.
In the morning I make blister packs for 2 hours, and bill every Monday.
I learned a lot of information and role of pharmacy technician such as, dealing with insurance companies, communicate with patient also the doctor for information changes, entering, filling, packaging prescription. All my co-workers are hard worker as me, we all try hard to be successful in pharmacy plus maintain our high reputation.
The hardest part of job is I'm the main person to do deal with all blister pack patient, and not many co-works does not know how to deal with blister pack inquiries. The most enjoyable part of the job is to meet customers daily, helping customers to meet their demand is the most enjoyable part of the job
Pros
shoppers employee discount
Cons
short hours
Friendly co-workers and clean environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 10, 2016
A typical day at Shoppers Drug Mart involved a lot of customer interaction and constantly moving around. I learned how to manage and satisfy different types of customers, as well as enjoyed the friendly environment I worked in because of my manager and co-workers. The management was almost always flexible and understanding which helped the environment have low amounts stress and tension. However, the hardest part of the job were those days where the minimal amount of employees were not working and too much responsibility was put on each of those working. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning a little bit about each customer and being able to interact with regular customers every week.
Pros
flexible hours
Very good
Part-time pharmacist (Current Employee) –  Pitt Meadows, BCApril 18, 2016
I take the time to focus on professional services, patient care focused and eventually this adds to the customer loyalty to the store.

I have CDE designation and this adds value to customers when they are taught what their medicines are all about. Also when they are educated on what the Do's and Don'ts again this strengthens this pharmacist-patient relationship and that's when you start adding value to the location and building up your base of clienteles.

Medication reviews, Injections, Methadone TTT also ensuring good work flow is a necessity to make sure everything goes right and no time is wasted in correcting errors or having to make some clients wait for their prescriptions.
Productive workplace
Pharmacist's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 11, 2016
Typical day at would be:
• Restocking medication
• Stocking new medication
• Cashier
• Changing dates on drug cards
• Back filing
• Filling prescriptions
• Call When Ready (CWR)
• Dosets

I learned many aspects of myself, I didn't know before. I learned I am good at customer service. As well as, taking initiative. The management was great, many people enjoyed it. But some others, not so much.

My co-workers were great. They were funny, and they made the days enjoyable. They made the days working there, worth every minute.

The hardest part was making every customer happy. The most enjoyable part of the job, is when everyone is enjoying what they are doing. And they make everyone else enjoy their own as well.
Pros
optimum points
Amazing staff, horrible hours
Cashier/Merchandiser/Post Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONJuly 13, 2016
Overall, the management team is awesome. I have been trained in a few areas that have helped me to build up my resume and personal character. Taking into consideration that summer is our slow season, hour cuts have become inevitable. I have seniority above a handful of staff members who seem to retain a greater number of hours than I do. In spite of explaining my situation, this is still a recurring issue.
Pros
Free lunches, reduced prescription fees, awesome clearance items
Cons
Limited hours
ok place to work
Beauty Expert/Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONSeptember 15, 2015
coworkers great management ok not easy to advance! hard on the feet and back. work really hard with no incentive or praise. I didn' learn a lot because my training was not excelled. stand and greet customers all day dust and clean.
Great company to work for
Cashier Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONApril 28, 2016
Shoppers Drug Mart is a fast-paced company to work for. The people who work there are amazing, fun and very knowledgeable. I enjoyed working as a cashier and interacting with the customers on a daily basis. I learned how to become more confident with myself by having to deal with different situations.

The hardest part of the job was the constant management team switches. In my 6 and a half years at my location, there were at least 5 management team changes due to a variety of reasons.

This is a great company to work for if you are looking to advance within your career quickly.
Pros
Recognizes job quality
Cons
Too many change-overs
A good company undergoing many changes
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 8, 2016
The workload and assignments are not evenly distributed. It's often a case of feast or famine. Work gets done despite inefficiencies which is ultimately rewarding. Career advancement is limited at best. The best part of the job is the people. The family culture is still evident from the early days.
Productive and great workplace with amazing employees
Co-Op Student (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONAugust 13, 2016
Shoppers Drug Mart was an exceptional place to co-op at, the work was good, I picked up and improved on many valuable skills and the co-workers and management were even better than I had imagined they could be. The hardest part of the co-op itself was leaving, although the most enjoyable had to be coming in everyday with a positive attitude to see and talk to other people that felt the same way.
Pros
Good hours, good work, good employees, good management
Cons
Sometimes heavy lifting
Fast pace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Stouffville, ONApril 12, 2016
A typical day of work would be entering the store and preparing the till and shop for customers. This involved cleaning and making sure items were in their proper places. I learned how to communicate with more people is a costumer service type of way, I also learned how to process credit, lotteries, money etc. My co-workers varied with age and the same people were not consistent with the times of my shifts, which was fine. The hardest part of my job was the past pace of learning and new skills required. This was my first job so I had to learn everything from a fresh perspective. I liked working here because I knew the routine I had to follow.
Pros
Consistency
Cons
On feet in one spot all day, ok manager.
Long hours and fun staff
Merchandiser / Cashier / Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKJuly 24, 2016
To put it short and sweet for my time at shoppers, I would have to say that it is not for everyone. Though there are multiple options for people to experience in the work field. Some may struggle to find a balance with their long hours from 9 - midnight at most locations. For me while in high school, I found myself struggling to stay on top of things. So I would be cautious when applying, especially if you have other priorities!
Pros
Good pay, fun staff, career benifits
Cons
Long hours, late hours
Relaxed environment
Front End Supervisor/cashier (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ONAugust 11, 2016
I mostly enjoy working at Shoppers but have encountered co-workers that are not really "team" oriented. Some will "throw you under the bus" to make themselves look better.
Pay rates are kept secret but do know that they are not necessarily fair and equal. It seems to be up to the descretion of whoever to give certain people a raise.
Pros
flexibility in scheduling days off, great manager, entrusted with responsibility
Cons
workplace drama, not necessarily equal/fair pay, annoying co-workers
Great atmosphere, cross-training is important
Cashier/Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONApril 18, 2016
I love my job at Shoppers, the atmosphere created by my co-workers is cooperative and encourages hard work at all times. The most enjoyable part of my job is how social it is, I am constantly learning new things and I enjoy being able to teach other employees how to do things I have learned. A typical day at work for me includes stocking and facing aisles, working behind the cash, interacting with customers, and posting sale tags. During my time at Shoppers, I have learned how to properly stock and face shelves, and I have learned what a customer service job entails.
Pros
Encouraging atmosphere
Cons
Lack of hours
Great retail atmosphere
Cashier (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONMay 9, 2016
I work anywhere between 6-8 hours per shift and I have learnt the importance of maintaining great customer service, as well as maintaining a great relationship with the employees and regular customers. I have a great management team, who are very supportive. The most difficult part of my job is dealing with angry customers, but I am able to control that with a positive attitude. I really like working with people and making the customers leave happy, which is probably the most enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
open door policy
Cons
Can't maintain a proper living off of $12.00/hr
Worked at a few stores, experiences vary greatly
Assistant Front Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONApril 10, 2016
After being with the company for a while, I got a chance to cover shifts at a few stores and my impression is that employee experiences vary a lot based on management and the store owner (yes, SDMs are franchised). My particular store did not have a great emphasis on making employees feel valued/recognized so that would be a major con. Some aspects of the job are fun and interesting but others can be really unpleasant (eg. handling angry customers or working longer than you were scheduled for)

Overall, I have enjoyed my time at Shoppers. I have great co-workers and the discount is amazing.
Business Intelligence Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 21, 2016
• Designed and develop solution components in an Agile environment utilizing a test driven development approach.
• Identify and implement solutions to enhance the existing BI infrastructure processes and technology.
• Provided multiple demonstrations of Tableau functionalities and efficient data visualizations approaches using Tableau to the senior management at the client as part of the Shoppers Drug Mart Incident escalation Team.
A Learning Experience
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 12, 2016
I learned a lot at Shoppers. It was my first "real" job and it made be appreciate things a lot more. I also learned that I really value getting to know my co-workers. The job was hard at times, and painful on the feet, but it was all better when I had someone to talk to for a little bit. Now we never slacked off, but when there's nothing to do at a drug store, it's nice to have someone to chat with. Management was nice, always respectful, and they were fair.
Pros
Fantastic camaraderie
Cons
Standing for up to 8 and a half hours really started to take its toll.

Shoppers Drug Mart / Pharmaprix Reviews by Location