Shoppers Drug Mart / Pharmaprix Employee Reviews

Found 2,244 reviews matching the search
Can be a mix of bad and good
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Courtice, ON8 July 2017
While working with the company it has been great. I love the people who i work with. The only thing that gets annoying is the lack of communication, and the favoritism of some staff over others.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Repetative, Cliquey
Productive and exciting workplace
Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 July 2017
* I had a co-op placement at the pharmacy
* hardest part of the job was adjusting to different customers and their needs
* most enjoyable part was working with my co-workers
Simple yet fulfilling
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 July 2017
A typical day at work simply involved stoking shelves and helping customers bring their products to their vehicles if they required assistance. Through the work, I learned how to create restock quickly and efficiently, while making displays look visually appealing. I also learned how to interact with customers in order to make them feel like a welcomed customer. Management was very kind and understanding, however hours were not very flexible. The culture of the workplace was very relaxed when it came to staff interaction, with the exception of one or two members who were not very approachable. The most enjoyable part of the job had to have been the ability to help those who needed assistance, specifically, elderly customers who needed help getting their purchases to their cars.
Pros
Relatively long breaks (30-45 minutes), beverages provided during the shift
Cons
Hours not flexible
Productive workplace, very customer service oriented
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 July 2017
A typical day at work for me consists mainly of handling cash intake and greeting customers. I've learned a lot about customer relations, and dealing with different kinds of situations. Everything about working at Shoppers drug mart is about teamwork; communication is key. The hardest part of the job might be the fact that it can get a little bit idle. The most enjoyable part is interacting with all the people from all different walks of life.
Very friendly employee's who are willing to assist you on the job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 July 2017
Very busy during certain sale days. Generally busy during mornings. I learned the actions taken on the job as a cashier such as sales and tallying. The management were friendly however, some of them barely cared about the employees. The hardest part about the job was the repetitiveness and the most enjoyable was learning process.
great way to meet new people and interact with cotumers
Grocery Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 July 2017
The job was great just a far ways from home. stocking shelves was not my thing and I like to be in a busy environment. Managers where to young and didn't care to much about keeping up with cleanliness and stock
Great workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ON6 July 2017
Great workplace that developed great friendships with the staff. A lot of scheduling for cashiers on the weekends and few shifts during the week. Great owner who is friendly and involved with the staff.
Pros
Schedule
Cons
Higher turnover rates
It's ok
Assistant Front Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario5 July 2017
Your experience with this company will vary widely depending on your managers. I've had great managers who've made my job a pleasure, but I've also had managers that made me want to quit. Your ideal store should feel like a family - if you don't feel that, move on. As an assistant manager, a typical day at work is pretty stressful, in that there is a never-ending list of things that need to get done and a finite amount of time to do them. That being said, if you are able to effectively prioritize and time manage, keeping the store in decent shape through especially busy days can be quite rewarding. I've enjoyed a fair amount of promotions in my time at this company (10 years) and I can say that honestly, if you don't mind the work, Shoppers will have opportunity for you to advance. You just need to work hard and be ready to deal with some real shady politics when you get higher up. But .. that's just about any company, I suppose!
Summary
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 July 2017
management was always desperate to fill positions with little time and patience to actually train effectively. Raises came through the government, they wanted you to commit and apply yourself heavily thru gaining personal info of customers (likely to be sold to 3rd party companies) without granting commissions to employees.
Pros
1 hr breaks broken up throughout work day
Cons
Poor management
Not fun to work with.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 July 2017
Bad place to work, greedy. Minimum wage starts $11.55 to one year or so, no benefits. Robot cashiers are replacing the human cashiers now to save money.
Pros
Employee get 30% discount if you buy anything that's a bonus; except for Rx, and none Shoppers gift card, and not on sale products.
Cons
Bad hours, most Shoppers open until midnight, very dangerous for workers to go home after midnight wandering around the streets. For minimum wage, is not worth it.
Great place to be
Merchandiser, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 July 2017
its busy but still calm, friendly staff, and customers. I learned valuable customer service an cash skills while working there. most enjoyable was putting a smile on someones face , helping the elderly to look for a product.
very organised set up of work together as a team
Pharmacy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 July 2017
Excellent learning opportunity Good environment to work excellent
service provided to customer good team work. I really enjoy to work opening hours are easy to assist. .
Ok
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON3 July 2017
Training was extremely minimal to non existent and communication was lacking with employees a lot of the time and management was not great it's okay..
Fun and co workers are friendly
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Bolton, ON3 July 2017
Co workers make shifts go by quickly and it's enjoyable. Easy workload and doesn't stress out workers. Supervisors are very helpful and understanding.
Overall a decent place to work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON30 June 2017
I made friends quite easy and advanced quickly. However the management could be more "on top" of things i.e the schedule is only made from Sunday to Friday and the following week is not usually posted until Friday, which makes it hard to make plans with friends and family.
Encouraging and a fair workplace environment before my transfer
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Tsawwassen, BC30 June 2017
After my transfer to another location, I was not properly trained in the ways of the new store, and was punished for my ignorance even though I had been trained much differently than they expected, and this should have been handled better by management.
Not for me
Multiple Positions (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ON30 June 2017
As I didn't have specific issues with this workplace I do believe it is more intended for high school students trying to get by. My skills are more advanced than to be used in this setting.
Super Cliquey- Favouritism with a splash of sexism
Cosmetician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 June 2017
I loved the job, the customers were usually good, the work wasn't especially difficult but work life balance was non existent for me, and I felt like exploited us by giving us unreasonable expectations and time frames that would either leave us doing free labour or seeming incompetent.
Great clean environment to work in. Friendly customers but a few issues.
Cashier/ Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON29 June 2017
Interacting with customers and meeting optimum requirements was no issue. In fact it was fun to have a little competition between the cashiers to meet our goals.

I can definitely say that working here has improved my customer service skills. Interacting with customers of different ethnicities and age have helped me learn more about them and how to deal with customer complaints.

Management was a minor issue for me as I was given tasks that I could barely manage, such has transferring 24pk cases of water onto the floor skid and making bales. Aside from that, all of the staff was great and if help was needed. As for hours, I was hired as a part-time employee and I received 40 hours while I was still in high school. I did mention lowering my hours to management and they did do so. But after a few weeks my hours went up.

Not a bad place to work. Customers can either make your day or ruin it but all in all it was a good experience.
Cons
sometimes 15 minute breaks are not given
Informative
Supervisor, Cashier Manager, Corporate Trainer (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB29 June 2017
I learned a lot from this company and gained some valuable skills. I enjoyed working with people. I liked learning new things in this position which led me to work as a trainer for the company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shoppers Drug Mart / Pharmaprix. Our community is ready to answer.

Shoppers Drug Mart / Pharmaprix Reviews by Location