Shoppers Drug Mart / Pharmaprix

Shoppers Drug Mart / Pharmaprix Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 1,577 reviews matching the search
Very friendly staff and flexible schedule. Minimal stress, loving regular customers.
Shift Supervisor Makeup Artist/Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 1, 2016
A typical day of work consisted of regular charismatic approaches of customer service and pleasing all people needing help. Some fast paced hours on the work floor and the rest of time was spent doing merchandising and back room paperwork duties.

Management saw I was a fast learner and were very eager to raise my duty levels to a more advanced area. Left me to find work on my own and feel as though I could bring more leadership to the workplace.

The hardest part of the job would have been some limits to the amount of product for specific customers who had specific skin disorders or pigment issues. But nothing specifically to do with my workplace I was very happy.

The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the smiles on my customers faces as they walk away the rewarding fulfilment of satisfying someone is entirely worth the hours spent finding the perfect products to suit them.
Pros
flexible work schedule, management.
Cons
slow days.
Supervisor
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Alta Vista, ON and St.Laurent MallMarch 23, 2016
Typical day would include, signage, load, back filling, cash, overrides, and safe counts.
I learned how to operate a store with minimal employees, learned about making signs and prices, and learned receiving computer skills.
Management was great with employees but did not pay according to work experience, work progress, or status.
Hardest part of my job was searching for expired product as most of it was extremely small product.
Learning to be a part of management and properly time manage.
Pros
Good benefits and bonus
Cons
Lacked the hours needed for most of the store and had limited FT positions
Great company to work for! Treat their employees with respect. Tons of training and great pay!
Beauty Boutique Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 17, 2016
Best company I've ever worked for. I was always treated with respect. The pay and benefits are great and above average for the beauty industry. Good work/life balance, but you do need to be prepared to work late nights and weekends. Management was always respectful and really tries to help their employees progress.
Pros
Fun atmosphere, good pay, great discount.
Cons
On feet all day.
i love shopper's
Merhandising Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJanuary 15, 2016
it's a good place to work and everyone there is so nice and helpful i hope i get a job working within shopper's.
i really hope i get a job with shoppers because i really love doing my co-op placement there
Pros
Room for career advancement, support from management, lots of opportunities for learning, raises if you are performing well, great team
Cons
Not enough constructive feedback given. Hard to know what I need to improve
Was not a particularly enjoyable experience..
Cash Manager (Former Employee) –  Port Moody, BCMarch 20, 2016
I was hired as Cash Manager..told I would be working 40 hours per week..sure for November and December, and then when they fired someone and need coverage..no three month increase..spent most of my time there trying to implement structures that should have been in place, but werent..worked with staff who had been issued repeated warnings, but were still kept on..was told it was more important to stock dairy and bring in shopping carts than it was to ensure the cash office ran smoothly..Listened to every single manager complain about every other manager..I stayed out of it, because drama in the workplace doesnt interest me..I have been told by other employees at other stores that Shoppers is a great company to work for..I would never choose it again knowing in hindsight what I know now.

Oh and the best part was being told that I had ineffective communication skills, and being given a guideline on 'how to raise a resilient child' as instruction on how to manage millenials..for those of you still working there..thats how management views you..'as children'..

First company I ever worked for who actually decreased my pay after a three month probation, by cutting my hours..LOL, and I was asked to control 'my negativity' towards that situation..

I am completely happy and found a new job within three weeks..so no harm no foul, but I notice the job is currently posted, so hope this balances out the perception of what this role is..Good Luck!
Pros
Cons
standing at cash for half my shift, covering breaks, really just a glorified supervisor
My experience wasn't the best at Shoppers Drugmart.
Part time Beauty Boutique Expert (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKDecember 22, 2015
The management needed to be tighter and follow through with duties, and recognize and reward hard working employees. A typical day at work would require facing products, dusting and washing counters, counting stock and re stocking, trying to do makeup applications on people to let them see how the products work and feel to promote sales and to sell as much as you could to meet the sales goals. The hardest part of the job was the continuous long closing shift with absolutely nothing to do by the end. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting a really nice customer who bought a lot and listened to your professional advice.
Cons
A good company undergoing many changes
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 8, 2016
The workload and assignments are not evenly distributed. It's often a case of feast or famine. Work gets done despite inefficiencies which is ultimately rewarding. Career advancement is limited at best. The best part of the job is the people. The family culture is still evident from the early days.
Worst location.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONNovember 30, 2015
I worked at shoppers for year and a half, it started off great, I had no complaints. In 2013 I was in the process of getting benefits so I had to work 38 hours consecutively for 3 months to quality. During the probation period I was in a car accident so I had to take 3 weeks off. After returning I was expecting to get the same amount of hours as before..no. I had the worst treatment, I was given 20 or so hours and then when I questioned it I was told it had to start over because of the time I took off. On top of that the management was catty, immature, disrespectful, unorganized, rude, and offensive. After about 4-5 months of being back I quit because I was sick of the stupidity my store had. I'm sure if i were to work at a different Shoppers it would have been different. Though, because I quit without giving the desired two weeks notice, I was told I'm unable to work at another Shoppers.
very productive place to work
Merchandiser / Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 2, 2016
you always had something to here throughout the day, you never go bored, management was pretty great very understandable people to be around, sometimes we would have free lunches and random give-aways and it was products from the store,
Pros
free lunches, always work to do
Cons
long hours sometimes
Shoppers 3940 innes road..
Cashier / Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Orleans, ONDecember 3, 2015
OK work place with very strict dress code. Since that specific store was very strict I learned to do very quick and efficient work. Wasn't the best experience honestly because of the staff, especially management. As for the (very over worked) co-workers they were very nice and fun and I learned a lot from them. The hardest past of the job must have been the very long hours since they purposely booked me every Friday closing shift (4 to midnight) for a whole month and a half. My social life was undeniably not present. But i think the most enjoyable moment of the job was the breaks since you didn't stop working HARD for very long periods of time. Also, the management sometimes forgot or never gave me some of my breaks...Have fun!
Pros
Breaks
Autonomous and supportive
Patient Educator / Homecare / Field Nurse (Current Employee) –  GTA, ONJanuary 5, 2016
Approachable staff/management and team-oriented while responsive to changes in status, care planning and patient care concerns, safety and maintaining quality standards of professional practice.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
No benefits options or long-term job security
productive, structured
Customer service rep (Former Employee) –  Peace RiverFebruary 13, 2016
This job was a learning curve for me in dealing with self criticism. I was too hard on myself when something didn't go right for me and it would throw me off balance. I had to learn that just because it didn't work the way I did it, didn't mean it couldn't be done. I learned how to save face with co-workers and I disagreed. This job failed me in some respect because, I found there wasn't much support at the store level, and, at the time, I didn't understand how to let that go and just get my work done and go home. I found in some cases management used their status to get pushy instead of just asking for something or being direct about what they wanted accomplished.
Pros
loved receiving, liked getting the packages and organizing them
Cons
management style
Enjoyable work place, great staff
Beauty Expert (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 10, 2016
I learned to provide expertise in product information, advising and guiding customer on beauty products, services and promotions, due to my continuous contributions in attending training sessions regularly, and my proven knowledge of various beauty products and services available, whilst working on commission based sales without compromising my exceptional customer service

I managed to build valuable relationships with my manager as well as my co-workers. I enjoy working with others and learning new things. It is difficult for me to identify the hardest part of the job because I do not view work place tasks on a scale of "easy to hard", I view them as a challenge and a learning experience. This makes the job and the task more enjoyable, rather than difficult.
Pros
Good hours, off-site trainings, free products
Cons
Recently been given less hours
Shoppers some locations great, others not so much.
Cosmetician, prior (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, CanadaOctober 18, 2015
If you don't already know, each SDM is independently owned by the head pharmacist (Associate). Yet, there is a head office that oversees "standards", as such you can have a variety of workplace experiences, some great others not so much depending on the management. A typical day in cosmetics is, assisting customers, sales and clientele management and they do expect you to perform on all three levels. Hardest part of the job is, if you have a large team with a busy store it can get competitive for commission. Overall after three years, I was happy.
Pros
Ability to make good money, education on skincare brands.
Cons
Late nights (some stores open till midnight), challenging co-workers.
very cultural,busy environment ,unprofessional,
beauty expert (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB (Meadows)November 9, 2015
great place to work ,not always very friendly management and very different culture . wage isn't bad however if you don't fit in you will be dismissed with very little notice .
Pros
great benefits, friendly co-workers
Cons
not much training, management not so friendly, unprofessional environment
Business Intelligence Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 21, 2016
• Designed and develop solution components in an Agile environment utilizing a test driven development approach.
• Identify and implement solutions to enhance the existing BI infrastructure processes and technology.
• Provided multiple demonstrations of Tableau functionalities and efficient data visualizations approaches using Tableau to the senior management at the client as part of the Shoppers Drug Mart Incident escalation Team.
Productive Fast Paced work place with a great learning experience
Font Store Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Gananoque, ONJuly 26, 2016
A typical day at work involves me maintaining the stores satisfaction for all employee's and customers, while giving the Manager's a helping hand so our day runs smoothly. I have learned a huge amount of customer service experience from this job, and I've entailed great leadership and organization skills. The easiest part of my job is my co-workers, as they make work a fun place to be. The hardest part of my job is that you have to have good time-management skills in order to be a supervisor, as it's a very fast paced environment with lot's of employee's, and you always want to end your day on a good note knowing the store ran smoothly and your co-workers and customers left the store happy.
Pros
Great staff and customers
Cons
Long hours, stressful at times
An opportunity to hone ones customer service/customer relation skills
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJuly 11, 2016
~ Shoppers Drug Mart, provided an opportunity to continue to improve my Customer Service Skills

~ I learned new skills of being a Keyholder and the responsibility associated with that position.

~ I improved my skills in customer problem solving

~ Management was always a pleasure to work with, and eager to assist you in any way necessary

~ I got along with co-workers and management quite well

~ The hardest part of the job was lifting very heavy boxes

~ I enjoyed serving and interacting with all my customers. There is just something special about being able to meet their needs. To see the satisfaction on a customers face, is very rewarding to me.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere, customer interactions and service
Cons
no benefits
Keswick shoppers drug mart
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Keswick, ONJuly 18, 2016
Started off as a nice place to work. The training wasn't very helpful, you have to kind of pick things up along the way. There was times were you'd get in trouble for not knowing something you were never taught.
I enjoyed working with certain people. Some were very kind and helpful, but I couldn't go to the management for anything because a lot of them were bullies.
The actual owner of the store is nice but I don't think they're aware of how the management treats people, especially young people.
A lot of people bail on shifts and never got in trouble but if young kids had a legit reason they couldn't come in even emergency situations they'd get in trouble.
Pros
The actual store is nice, clean and organized
Cons
Management is full of bullies
fun and respectable workplace
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ONJune 14, 2016
A typical day of work consisted of re-stocking products as well as helping customers on the floor; whether it be where things are or they needed help carrying products to their vehicles. The job taught you to be time efficient. You had to manage your time properly between tasks and make sure that everything was completed both neatly and properly by midnight. The workers there were respectful, fun, and hardworking. You would enjoy going to work because you had great people you would work with that are also hard working and help get things done on schedule. There was really no hard aspect to the job, if once in a while anything that was troublesome came up; there was always someone that could assist you with it. The most enjoyable part of the job was the employees, they were a great bunch to be around
Pros
Discounts

Shoppers Drug Mart / Pharmaprix Reviews by Location