Shoppers Drug Mart / Pharmaprix

Shoppers Drug Mart / Pharmaprix Employee Reviews

Found 1,631 reviews matching the search
Great Place to work. Very well run.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Peace River, ABSeptember 4, 2016
Order Stock. Stock Shelves. Check Dates
Businesses run differently. Been with 2 other Food Businesses and Shoppers does things very differently than what I'm used to.
Great Management and Team! Work together as a team to achieve goals.
Being fairly new with Shoppers, learning their Computer System or MMS( The brains of the inventory and receiving system. Learn something new almost every week.
My favorite part of working in food retail is the customers! Interacting and finding out the needs of every customer- building relationships!
Pros
Great Team!
Cons
Where I am Living.
Busy, but organized and well supported by corporate
Staff Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  New Glasgow, NSSeptember 29, 2016
Corporate office provided us with the best tools and training available to be productive in high volume situations. Lots of opportunity for training in specialized fields (diabetes educator, etc). Yearly conferences for team spirit and updates on new innovations.
Pros
Well managed by corporate, the most up to date tools to practice efficiently and with confidence
Cons
store hours, open until midnight and often return for 8am opening
Learned how to be organised and mix with different people
CUSTOMER SERVICE/MERCHANDISER (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 2, 2016
To work as a team. To be very detailed oriented. To be responsible. Complete the job assigned to you during the day. My personal review would be it is very nice to work with a company and into retail business which has its name in the market for so many years. All your colleagues are very friendly. It is a fun environment to work with such type of a company.
Pros
No free lunches
Cons
Have to stand throughout you shift.
Boring and slow
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCSeptember 4, 2016
At Pharmaprix, I felt like I was not an employee but a slave. The way my manager would talk to me was as if I am owned by her. Anyway, It was my first job I let it go, but then I was put in the Pharmacy cash area, and it was just dead. It would never get busy therefore I would simply just be looking at the time. Not only that, but everyday there was a list of work we had to do before we finish our shift, which was the same exact thing every time, therefore every shift got repetitive.
Energetic, Fun workplace to meet new people everyday
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKSeptember 11, 2016
A typical day at work consists of me working the cash register and helping customers with questions. I learned that I am a people person, I am able to start and keep conversations going and make people happy. The management was overall pretty good, I had no major problems. The hardest part of the job was the busy season like Christmas and I had to work so much harder than i usually do, But i didn't mind. The most enjoyable part of my job was the co workers and the people. I made so many memories and new friends.
Pros
Appropriate Break times
Cons
Not enough hours
good benefits but horrible work environment
Pharmacy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 28, 2016
typical day includes way too much stress than any one person should handle, adequate training is not provided, long shifts and short breaks, inexperienced colleagues who sometimes are not willing to learn or follow directions. management does nothing to ensure new hires are adequately trained, they're comfortable leaving the bulk of the work on one or two employees. adequate compensation raises a problem.
overall a good experiecnce
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 22, 2016
A typical day at my job was to attend customers, handle cash and general cleaning and stock. I learned how to better resolve customer issues and concerns. I got along with all of the staff and was able to communicate any concerns I may have had. I enjoyed the environment that the staff members created, very much a family feel. For the most part my job was fairly straight forward, if I really had to think on it, Lotto sales and claims. The most enjoyable part of the job was the knowledge that I have been able to provide customers with the right information for their everyday and future needs.
fun place to work!
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ONAugust 29, 2016
A typical day at the workplace was going into the back room, getting a cart full of products, then taking the cart onto the floor and stock the shelves. While at this workplace I learned that I could lift more than I thought I could, also that I'm good at dealing with costumers whether they are happy or not. Management was good at this workplace, very organized and everything always planned out. My co-workers were so helpful, positive, and out going. If I had any questions they would answer them no problem. The hardest part about the job was having to carry a lot of heavy things everyday. The most enjoyable part of the job was feeing like I was part of a family and never feeling lost while working.
Pros
getting free snacks
Cons
The potential to earn and to excel in sales is good. The Optimum program is exceptional.
Cosmetician (Current Employee) –  Duncan, BCSeptember 30, 2016
The work atmosphere is fun and coworkers are great. Tools necessary to succeed are provided.
Building client relationships and helping them choose the right products is the most enjoyable part of the job.
The opportunity for advancement doesn't seem to be within reach.
Pros
Good atmosphere, fun coworkers, great product selection
Cons
Late hours, not much room for advancement
Terrible management but enjoyed working with makeup.
Cosmetician (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 18, 2016
Loved working as a cosmetician, was able to build a solid clientele and learnt about all kinds of brands by going to (sometimes) paid seminars. Free makeup was cool. Coworkers were nice.

Management was terrible though, not supportive and negative, expected too much and wasn't appreciative. Wasn't treated with respect there by management. Didn't think this company would be that bad, but maybe it was just that store, keep in mind each store is individually owned.
Pros
discount, free makeup, cosmetic experience
Cons
poor management
Productive and great workplace with amazing employees
Co-Op Student (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONAugust 13, 2016
Shoppers Drug Mart was an exceptional place to co-op at, the work was good, I picked up and improved on many valuable skills and the co-workers and management were even better than I had imagined they could be. The hardest part of the co-op itself was leaving, although the most enjoyable had to be coming in everyday with a positive attitude to see and talk to other people that felt the same way.
Pros
Good hours, good work, good employees, good management
Cons
Sometimes heavy lifting
An aspiration to move up in the company is always acknowledged.
FRONT STORE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  SDM 2275 THE RITZ, COAL HARBOUR, VANCOUVER B.C.August 13, 2016
FSM's job starts by planning the workflow of the day. I usually walk around the store with a pen and paper for a quick notes to fix and to do listing as part of the daily routine. I learned that delegation is the best way to complete more tasks of the day as the new principle says, "work smarter not harder". The hardest part of the job is how to develop an almost accurate forsythe to supply the demands based on trends. And lastly, I am looking forward for the next SDM conference as the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
30% discount as an employee.
Cons
Long Hours of work.
Relaxed environment
Front End Supervisor/cashier (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ONAugust 11, 2016
I mostly enjoy working at Shoppers but have encountered co-workers that are not really "team" oriented. Some will "throw you under the bus" to make themselves look better.
Pay rates are kept secret but do know that they are not necessarily fair and equal. It seems to be up to the descretion of whoever to give certain people a raise.
Pros
flexibility in scheduling days off, great manager, entrusted with responsibility
Cons
workplace drama, not necessarily equal/fair pay, annoying co-workers
Amazing
Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ONAugust 8, 2016
Shoppers is a great place to work, especially this location. Co-workers are amazing, and the owner is an amazing guy, to which is flexible, helps when needed and is an overall good boss. I loved working at shoppers it was a great experience and gave me the skills now that have helped in my career now. I owe this location a lot and can't thank them enough for everything they have done for me. The hardest part of this job is the public, and drug plans. Like any job customer service is key, and some customers can be harder to deal with than others, but the few bad experiences have been made up for with the other great customers.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Challenging customers
I enjoy my job very much, Shoppers has always been a great place to work for and has always treated me with great respect.
Manager, Post Office (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BCSeptember 3, 2016
Shoppers is a great place to work for people, I manage the post office at shoppers and have a huge responsibility for canada post. It is a franchise so I have two bosses. One being shoppers and the other Canada post, I have to follow the federal guide lines without any supervision. I train, audit, inventory control
Long hours and fun staff
Merchandiser / Cashier / Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKJuly 24, 2016
To put it short and sweet for my time at shoppers, I would have to say that it is not for everyone. Though there are multiple options for people to experience in the work field. Some may struggle to find a balance with their long hours from 9 - midnight at most locations. For me while in high school, I found myself struggling to stay on top of things. So I would be cautious when applying, especially if you have other priorities!
Pros
Good pay, fun staff, career benifits
Cons
Long hours, late hours
Knowledge of numerous cosmetic products and utilize PR skills
Cosmetician (Current Employee) –  Mississauga and Brampton, OntarioSeptember 2, 2016
Getting familiar and discuss new marketing ideas, explore new and marketable products over the net for Shoppers, dealing with public in answering questions and satisfying customer's queries, meet management every week to discuss the progress of the week and look forward to the following week's success.
Pros
Nice management to work with
Cons
Part-time position
Hostile management and Little care for employees
Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONSeptember 11, 2016
Employees understaffed constantly and time of requests rejected or ignored by management. Management insults and puts down employees to the point of tears for some for being unable to complete jobs that not important/helpful to the overall work (Doing old filing from months ago when the pharmacy is 5 hours behind on the script queue). Co-workers are great, funny and usually hard working. Management tense and up tight, gossiping and intimidating workers. 15 minute breaks frowned upon, delayed and usually not taken. Low wages for amount of work/stress.

Would not recommend working at a shoppers unless you hear good things about the associate.
Pros
Co-workers, patients
Cons
Under staffing, harassment, low pay, no 15 minute breaks, high stress
My hours were great and the pay was good
Receiving (Former Employee) –  Dieppe, NBJuly 22, 2016
Support from managers was very poor. If you don't know or understand the store inner policies and procedures you won't make it through your probationary period. They Do Not take or have patience in training their new recruits. I was asked to perform a employers review just a few days after I started working there I gave them a great review after believing I was going to receive the best training available to me only to be disappointed a few weeks later
I firmly believe that head office would intervene if they knew how new recruits are being trained and treated
Pros
Great shift, pleasent co-workers, great discount
Cons
Poor management
Keswick shoppers drug mart
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Keswick, ONJuly 18, 2016
Started off as a nice place to work. The training wasn't very helpful, you have to kind of pick things up along the way. There was times were you'd get in trouble for not knowing something you were never taught.
I enjoyed working with certain people. Some were very kind and helpful, but I couldn't go to the management for anything because a lot of them were bullies.
The actual owner of the store is nice but I don't think they're aware of how the management treats people, especially young people.
A lot of people bail on shifts and never got in trouble but if young kids had a legit reason they couldn't come in even emergency situations they'd get in trouble.
Pros
The actual store is nice, clean and organized
Cons
Management is full of bullies

Shoppers Drug Mart / Pharmaprix Reviews by Location