Shoppers Drug Mart / Pharmaprix

Shoppers Drug Mart / Pharmaprix Employee Reviews

Found 1,773 reviews matching the search
great job if your not easily flustered by angry customers
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB16 January 2017
it can be a great job. if everyone's on the same page and there are clear guidelines set as to policy procedures "and they follow them" it can be a great place. hardest part of the job is maneuvering around the fact that some employees are not on the same page and customers get told different answers to the same questions. also small stores don't always have loss prevention personnel in the store so shoplifting situations can become a scene if workers aren't properly trained.
Productive and overall organized company to work for.
Merchandiser & Receiver (Former Employee) –  London, ON18 January 2017
Great position for young, busy bodies. Demanding and always something to do. Hardest part of the job is the physical aspect of it but the most enjoyable part of the job is working hard and seeing the pay off/finished product. Management is great and always accommodating to personal/work life balance. I've learned better time-management skills and organization skills as well as customer service.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Physical aspect (i.e. heavy lifting)
Great work experience
Front Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC3 January 2017
This was a great company to work for I learnt a lot from cash-to Merchandise Manager.
I then worked in the office as a Store tec. coordinator and Acquisition Coordinator.
I enjoyed this job the best as I got to travel and help in training the staff in the new stores.
Built files for the new products and taking over of the source store in Kimberly.
I had to wear a lot of different hats.
Pros
Lots of training and courses offered
Cons
had to be on call 24/7 even on holidays
Nothing is really consistent because they're small stores.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB3 January 2017
I imagine the experience of working at Shoppers comes with the same issues as with any small store. How enjoyable your job is depends upon a group of 20-30 coworkers and one store owner. From the accounts I hear from employees at other stores there are many things that vary.

The long-term issue is the limited advancement potential; if the store is stable there are virtually no opportunities to be more than a supervisor.

Scheduling at my particular store is fairly inconsistent. It's a long process for part-time people to become full-time and if one or two full-timers take a week off then the sky is falling.

If you're just looking for a part-time casual gig it's great.
Cashier, Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Port Moody, BC8 December 2016
My managers are great, coworkers are great, 30% discount is great, and optimum points are amazing too.
I'm mostly merchandiser so my typical shift is usually doing order work, meaning putting product out onto the shelves and such. I deal with customer service, answering the phone calls, fetching carts from outside, taking out the garbage(mostly cardboard boxes) and helping out my coworkers.

Overall I think the only hardest part of my job is dealing with cardboard cuts and angry customers.
Pros
Coworkers
Productive and calm environment
Shelf Stocker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 January 2017
A typical day at work would be very easy going,It was co-op I learned how to read the number on bar codes, Management was very good with me.My co-workers were very respectful and treated me with kindness.The hardest part of the job was learning how to make labels on the computer and transferring them to the merchandise. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping customers with what they needed.
Pros
Made new friends
Cons
Leaving
Poorly treated by management, not given employee benefits.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Saint-Lazare, QC6 December 2016
I was responsible for my cash, and printing photos. Most shifts; 4-9, 5-10 or 9-5. Management did not treat employees well. I was not allowed to call in sick. I was made to work 25 hours a week even while I was a full-time student, when I specifically asked for less. Co-workers were amazing, positive and energetic. Hardest part of the job was dealing with being treated poorly. Most enjoyable part of the job was my co-workers.
Pros
Consistent breaks.
Cons
Poor management
Productive and fun place to work with utmost customer satisfaction
Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON24 November 2016
Pharmacy is a pretty busy place to be in. Typical day at work is starting the day with punching in and taking work badges and barcodes. Patients are the center of pharmacy practice so meeting and greeting patients, knowing their needs and requirements, solving their queries and to be able to give efficient, timely and accurate product/information. Helping them to improve their life style and health and work to the level of complete customer satisfaction.
Pros
Exciting promos and seasonal deals
Cons
To be able to do highly demanding and multitasking job throughout the shift
Good hours, friendly team.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Elora, ON12 December 2016
Shoppers Drug Mart is a great place to work. Working at the Elora Shoppers Drug Mart it got quiet often and was sometimes boring but there was always stuff to do to pass the time. The team was nice and friendly and there was a good training system. Starting out, the storage room was confusing but once working there for a while it got easier.
Pros
Reasonable amount of breaks and good training system.
Cons
Quiet and boring times.
unprofessional and hostile environment
Customer Service Representative/Beauty Expert (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON17 November 2016
-extremely unprofessional management, negative and hostile environment
-problems within staff never addressed
-poor wage advancement even when you are going above and beyond
-management choose favourites
-the management will treat you poorly if you need time off or make requests for advancement
-there is never anyone to cover for you if you are sick
Pros
good discount, love the optimum program, benefits are pretty good if you can get fulltime
Cons
almost everything else
Wonderful atmosphere and a wonderful managing staff and employee base.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sylvan Lake, AB16 November 2016
My time working at Shoppers Drug Mart was an incredibly wonderful experiences as the staff was always willing to help in any situation that may have unfolded, while simultaneously instructing people on how to overcome obstacles in the future. The rather stress-free environment makes it an excellent place of employment if someone is not too fond of high stress and a continuous fast pace.
Pros
Wonderful staff and an excellent atmosphere without mush stress aside from customers.
Cons
Due to larger staffing not as many hours as one might prefer.
Great company to work for
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Ontario23 November 2016
I loved working for Shoppers, I had a great management team as well as great co-workers. My manager was a very hard working woman who led by example. The only bad thing about working there was not being eligible for benefits because I was not considered full time even though I worked 35+ hours a week. I learned a lot working here and would recommend it to anyone.
Pros
Staff lunches, great management, incentives
Cons
low pay, benefits
Negative environment.
Cosmetician (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON14 November 2016
The cosmeticians have a fairly different set of jobs than the rest of the staff, so a typical day was very customer and sales focused. You are also expected to maintain the department and clean during your shift.
I learned a lot about skin care, and cosmetics which is something I really enjoyed.
The management was not great. There was never anyone around to help when you needed it.
The majority of the co-workers were nice and friendly.
The best part of the job was getting to work in an industry that I am passionate about.
Pros
Good pay, long shifts.
Cons
Unjust practices within stores.
Fast paced dynamic environment
Manager BI & Analytics (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 January 2017
Driven by Loblaw today. Business is booming. Unlike in the past, Lot of investment in Technology. Opportunities to learn and grow.Old management team has been replaced be a culture from a large corporate organization with emphasis on formal standard processes.. So people who liked the old small world casual close environment will be disappointed.
Pros
Good Business
Cons
Retail is based on sales and performance of each store managers
Merchandiser-Receiver (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 January 2017
Very high expectation, but little being done for staff members concerns. There is a high retention rate in this store due to management's mis communications, problem solving, and other conflicts for both staff and customers.
Pros
discount
Cons
paid little, but basicly to keep you around, you have to beg more which is not easy to do and wont come easily
First Job Experience
Co-op Student (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON2 November 2016
Working in the Beauty Boutique is amazing, I enjoy stocking the Mass Wall, which is what we call the wall with the drug store makeup products. I also enjoy the days I get to work in the fragrance section, because I get to learn where all the fragrances go, and what ones smell like others. My co-workers are the best and extremely supportive and kind, we can often joke around and help each other with work. The hardest part of the job was learning to get used to talking to customers, as this placement is my first work experience, but I have learnt to enjoy my moments with customers, and open up.
The most enjoyable part of this job is connecting with my co-workers and learning new things from them everyday.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Long days
Pleasant Experience
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Maple, ON15 November 2016
I have worked for Shoppers Drug Mart for over 15 years. I have always been treated fairly by the management and staff. A typical day at work includes opening the store, preparing the tills for the day, doing the deposit and then facing and organizing the items on the shelves. The most enjoyable part of this job is the people I work.
Pros
Friendly staff, room to grow (SDM University), fair wage, discount
Cons
Long hours on feet
I have always enjoyed working for shoppers
Cashier, Cash supervisor (Former Employee) –  GTA, ON31 October 2016
It is a great place to work, people are very friendly and helpful and if you are no longer responsible for your small children this job would be something that fits. otherwise not having set hours can be a problem, specially for most of us that still want or need to keep two jobs, managers do try to help but this is retail so set hours may be an impossible dream.
Pros
If you want to advance, someone is always willing to teach you.
Cons
hours are not set.
excellent workplace
Pharmacy Assistant (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON29 December 2016
During my first few shifts I was given many different time slots for work, this helped me see how every hour of the pharmacy differed and the tasks that went along with it changes. The staff here is amazing and very accommodating for a new associate. The software is very user friendly and very easy to learn.
Pros
fast paced work environment
Cons
Flu season tends to slow down workflow
Management don't know what they are doing.
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB30 October 2016
Great company. But the managemeant is making the company look bad. Management is like a clique. They micromanage and are very disorganized. More concerned with appearing like all is good instead of actually taking care of the store. No work life balance. Expect employees to live their job. Very stressful place to work.
Pros
Great discount.most of the other staff is good.
Cons
No set schedule./management tend to bully staff.