Shoppers Drug Mart / Pharmaprix

Shoppers Drug Mart / Pharmaprix Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 1,579 reviews matching the search
Terrible management but enjoyed working with makeup.
Cosmetician (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 18, 2016
Loved working as a cosmetician, was able to build a solid clientele and learnt about all kinds of brands by going to (sometimes) paid seminars. Free makeup was cool. Coworkers were nice.

Management was terrible though, not supportive and negative, expected too much and wasn't appreciative. Wasn't treated with respect there by management. Didn't think this company would be that bad, but maybe it was just that store, keep in mind each store is individually owned.
Pros
discount, free makeup, cosmetic experience
Cons
poor management
overall a good experiecnce
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 22, 2016
A typical day at my job was to attend customers, handle cash and general cleaning and stock. I learned how to better resolve customer issues and concerns. I got along with all of the staff and was able to communicate any concerns I may have had. I enjoyed the environment that the staff members created, very much a family feel. For the most part my job was fairly straight forward, if I really had to think on it, Lotto sales and claims. The most enjoyable part of the job was the knowledge that I have been able to provide customers with the right information for their everyday and future needs.
Relaxed environment
Front End Supervisor/cashier (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ONAugust 11, 2016
I mostly enjoy working at Shoppers but have encountered co-workers that are not really "team" oriented. Some will "throw you under the bus" to make themselves look better.
Pay rates are kept secret but do know that they are not necessarily fair and equal. It seems to be up to the descretion of whoever to give certain people a raise.
Pros
flexibility in scheduling days off, great manager, entrusted with responsibility
Cons
workplace drama, not necessarily equal/fair pay, annoying co-workers
My hours were great and the pay was good
Receiving (Former Employee) –  Dieppe, NBJuly 22, 2016
Support from managers was very poor. If you don't know or understand the store inner policies and procedures you won't make it through your probationary period. They Do Not take or have patience in training their new recruits. I was asked to perform a employers review just a few days after I started working there I gave them a great review after believing I was going to receive the best training available to me only to be disappointed a few weeks later
I firmly believe that head office would intervene if they knew how new recruits are being trained and treated
Pros
Great shift, pleasent co-workers, great discount
Cons
Poor management
Amazing
Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ONAugust 8, 2016
Shoppers is a great place to work, especially this location. Co-workers are amazing, and the owner is an amazing guy, to which is flexible, helps when needed and is an overall good boss. I loved working at shoppers it was a great experience and gave me the skills now that have helped in my career now. I owe this location a lot and can't thank them enough for everything they have done for me. The hardest part of this job is the public, and drug plans. Like any job customer service is key, and some customers can be harder to deal with than others, but the few bad experiences have been made up for with the other great customers.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Challenging customers
Long hours and fun staff
Merchandiser / Cashier / Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKJuly 24, 2016
To put it short and sweet for my time at shoppers, I would have to say that it is not for everyone. Though there are multiple options for people to experience in the work field. Some may struggle to find a balance with their long hours from 9 - midnight at most locations. For me while in high school, I found myself struggling to stay on top of things. So I would be cautious when applying, especially if you have other priorities!
Pros
Good pay, fun staff, career benifits
Cons
Long hours, late hours
Productive and great workplace with amazing employees
Co-Op Student (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONAugust 13, 2016
Shoppers Drug Mart was an exceptional place to co-op at, the work was good, I picked up and improved on many valuable skills and the co-workers and management were even better than I had imagined they could be. The hardest part of the co-op itself was leaving, although the most enjoyable had to be coming in everyday with a positive attitude to see and talk to other people that felt the same way.
Pros
Good hours, good work, good employees, good management
Cons
Sometimes heavy lifting
An aspiration to move up in the company is always acknowledged.
FRONT STORE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  SDM 2275 THE RITZ, COAL HARBOUR, VANCOUVER B.C.August 13, 2016
FSM's job starts by planning the workflow of the day. I usually walk around the store with a pen and paper for a quick notes to fix and to do listing as part of the daily routine. I learned that delegation is the best way to complete more tasks of the day as the new principle says, "work smarter not harder". The hardest part of the job is how to develop an almost accurate forsythe to supply the demands based on trends. And lastly, I am looking forward for the next SDM conference as the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
30% discount as an employee.
Cons
Long Hours of work.
Amazing staff, horrible hours
Cashier/Merchandiser/Post Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONJuly 13, 2016
Overall, the management team is awesome. I have been trained in a few areas that have helped me to build up my resume and personal character. Taking into consideration that summer is our slow season, hour cuts have become inevitable. I have seniority above a handful of staff members who seem to retain a greater number of hours than I do. In spite of explaining my situation, this is still a recurring issue.
Pros
Free lunches, reduced prescription fees, awesome clearance items
Cons
Limited hours
Keswick shoppers drug mart
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Keswick, ONJuly 18, 2016
Started off as a nice place to work. The training wasn't very helpful, you have to kind of pick things up along the way. There was times were you'd get in trouble for not knowing something you were never taught.
I enjoyed working with certain people. Some were very kind and helpful, but I couldn't go to the management for anything because a lot of them were bullies.
The actual owner of the store is nice but I don't think they're aware of how the management treats people, especially young people.
A lot of people bail on shifts and never got in trouble but if young kids had a legit reason they couldn't come in even emergency situations they'd get in trouble.
Pros
The actual store is nice, clean and organized
Cons
Management is full of bullies
Productive and fun workplace with makeup and skin care
Coop Student (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONJune 27, 2016
You get to know customers like they're your friends and it's amazing how much trust they can put in you for their flaws. Everybody there is amazing and treats each other like family and you never feel awkward, even if you make a small mistake. They help you learn when you need help, not just help you. Shoppers was a very good choice for my coop experience.
Pros
By Tim Hortons, Doing What I Am Liscenced For
Cons
None I loved it
Enjoyed working with the public
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKJune 25, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of doing a low merchandise stock using the PDT system, rotating merchandise on shelves, restocking merchandise, setting up displays for promotions, and assisting customers.

I learned how to do the ordering for merchandise in the store when the manager wasnt present.

The hardest part of the job was trying to find the diplays from the back to set up in the store, was disorganized and difficult to access anything.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the customer service and being able to assist them.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Disorganized
Okay environment with little room for advancing
Supervisor/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ONJuly 10, 2016
This job is a typical student friendly job. There is not much room for movement up in the company, and the wage is okay. The management at my store was not always the greatest, and the district manager has currently made the store unenjoyable. The last 4 years at this location were amazing and i really enjoyed working there. however, during the last year it has really gone downhill.
Fun conscientious esteemed valued
Post Office (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCJune 19, 2016
I personally had a good start with the adventure of opening their new Rexall Store! had the opportunity not only to work with all the Team Players but to work alongside the best of The established Manager Owner of the Business! I would congratulate the Team on a great establishment!
Pros
25% off all products 1 st month of working for this dynamic Drug Store!
Cons
Not many of them really were working for the Business but by themselves only!
Productive work environment
Merchandiser/Cashier/Post Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJune 30, 2016
Flexible hours and on-the-job training.
They will work with your school and/or other job schedules.
Continuous learning opportunities and interaction with customers.
Somewhat repetitive work, depending on the days (ex. incoming stock was the same day each week, facing was done every night, low stocks almost every day)
Great co-workers to help with stressful days.
productive and fun, usually always busy.
Stock Person (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 20, 2016
a typical day at work would be walking in greeting everyone as you see them. Also seeing if anything urgent to be done. I learned working as a team and communication is a huge part of any job.

hardest part of my job was getting everything sorted and put anyway before the end of the day.

The most enjoyable part was helping out costumers and hearing there stories.
Pros
always busy
An opportunity to hone ones customer service/customer relation skills
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJuly 11, 2016
~ Shoppers Drug Mart, provided an opportunity to continue to improve my Customer Service Skills

~ I learned new skills of being a Keyholder and the responsibility associated with that position.

~ I improved my skills in customer problem solving

~ Management was always a pleasure to work with, and eager to assist you in any way necessary

~ I got along with co-workers and management quite well

~ The hardest part of the job was lifting very heavy boxes

~ I enjoyed serving and interacting with all my customers. There is just something special about being able to meet their needs. To see the satisfaction on a customers face, is very rewarding to me.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere, customer interactions and service
Cons
no benefits
Productive Fast Paced work place with a great learning experience
Font Store Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Gananoque, ONJuly 26, 2016
A typical day at work involves me maintaining the stores satisfaction for all employee's and customers, while giving the Manager's a helping hand so our day runs smoothly. I have learned a huge amount of customer service experience from this job, and I've entailed great leadership and organization skills. The easiest part of my job is my co-workers, as they make work a fun place to be. The hardest part of my job is that you have to have good time-management skills in order to be a supervisor, as it's a very fast paced environment with lot's of employee's, and you always want to end your day on a good note knowing the store ran smoothly and your co-workers and customers left the store happy.
Pros
Great staff and customers
Cons
Long hours, stressful at times
not worth that hassle
Supervisor/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 25, 2016
I was hired on as a supervisor. told that my job title was entry level, and payed 25 cents more than minimum wage. This company exploits it's employees, and provides little to no benefit for working for them. The pay is atrocious for the job level and expectations of management. I happily left this job without a second thought.
Cons
terrible hours, unacceptable pay for job required
Stimulating and productive workplace with an excellent team
Pharmacist (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCAugust 7, 2016
High-volume exciting work environment kept me professionally engaged for the full length of each shift. Incredibly competent staff (in both management and assisting roles) made the demanding workload manageable. Very fair compensation, but minimal job security.
Pros
high-intensity workday is mentally engaging
Cons
minimal job security

Shoppers Drug Mart / Pharmaprix Reviews by Location