Shoppers Drug Mart / Pharmaprix

Shoppers Drug Mart / Pharmaprix Employee Reviews

Found 1,723 reviews matching the search
unprofessional and hostile environment
Customer Service Representative/Beauty Expert (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON17 November 2016
-extremely unprofessional management, negative and hostile environment
-problems within staff never addressed
-poor wage advancement even when you are going above and beyond
-management choose favourites
-the management will treat you poorly if you need time off or make requests for advancement
-there is never anyone to cover for you if you are sick
Pros
good discount, love the optimum program, benefits are pretty good if you can get fulltime
Cons
almost everything else
Negative environment.
Cosmetician (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON14 November 2016
The cosmeticians have a fairly different set of jobs than the rest of the staff, so a typical day was very customer and sales focused. You are also expected to maintain the department and clean during your shift.
I learned a lot about skin care, and cosmetics which is something I really enjoyed.
The management was not great. There was never anyone around to help when you needed it.
The majority of the co-workers were nice and friendly.
The best part of the job was getting to work in an industry that I am passionate about.
Pros
Good pay, long shifts.
Cons
Unjust practices within stores.
Wonderful atmosphere and a wonderful managing staff and employee base.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sylvan Lake, AB16 November 2016
My time working at Shoppers Drug Mart was an incredibly wonderful experiences as the staff was always willing to help in any situation that may have unfolded, while simultaneously instructing people on how to overcome obstacles in the future. The rather stress-free environment makes it an excellent place of employment if someone is not too fond of high stress and a continuous fast pace.
Pros
Wonderful staff and an excellent atmosphere without mush stress aside from customers.
Cons
Due to larger staffing not as many hours as one might prefer.
Productive and fun place to work with utmost customer satisfaction
Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON24 November 2016
Pharmacy is a pretty busy place to be in. Typical day at work is starting the day with punching in and taking work badges and barcodes. Patients are the center of pharmacy practice so meeting and greeting patients, knowing their needs and requirements, solving their queries and to be able to give efficient, timely and accurate product/information. Helping them to improve their life style and health and work to the level of complete customer satisfaction.
Pros
Exciting promos and seasonal deals
Cons
To be able to do highly demanding and multitasking job throughout the shift
Poorly treated by management, not given employee benefits.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Saint-Lazare, QC6 December 2016
I was responsible for my cash, and printing photos. Most shifts; 4-9, 5-10 or 9-5. Management did not treat employees well. I was not allowed to call in sick. I was made to work 25 hours a week even while I was a full-time student, when I specifically asked for less. Co-workers were amazing, positive and energetic. Hardest part of the job was dealing with being treated poorly. Most enjoyable part of the job was my co-workers.
Pros
Consistent breaks.
Cons
Poor management
Cashier, Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Port Moody, BC8 December 2016
My managers are great, coworkers are great, 30% discount is great, and optimum points are amazing too.
I'm mostly merchandiser so my typical shift is usually doing order work, meaning putting product out onto the shelves and such. I deal with customer service, answering the phone calls, fetching carts from outside, taking out the garbage(mostly cardboard boxes) and helping out my coworkers.

Overall I think the only hardest part of my job is dealing with cardboard cuts and angry customers.
Pros
Coworkers
First Job Experience
Co-op Student (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON2 November 2016
Working in the Beauty Boutique is amazing, I enjoy stocking the Mass Wall, which is what we call the wall with the drug store makeup products. I also enjoy the days I get to work in the fragrance section, because I get to learn where all the fragrances go, and what ones smell like others. My co-workers are the best and extremely supportive and kind, we can often joke around and help each other with work. The hardest part of the job was learning to get used to talking to customers, as this placement is my first work experience, but I have learnt to enjoy my moments with customers, and open up.
The most enjoyable part of this job is connecting with my co-workers and learning new things from them everyday.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Long days
I have always enjoyed working for shoppers
Cashier, Cash supervisor (Former Employee) –  GTA, ON31 October 2016
It is a great place to work, people are very friendly and helpful and if you are no longer responsible for your small children this job would be something that fits. otherwise not having set hours can be a problem, specially for most of us that still want or need to keep two jobs, managers do try to help but this is retail so set hours may be an impossible dream.
Pros
If you want to advance, someone is always willing to teach you.
Cons
hours are not set.
Management don't know what they are doing.
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB30 October 2016
Great company. But the managemeant is making the company look bad. Management is like a clique. They micromanage and are very disorganized. More concerned with appearing like all is good instead of actually taking care of the store. No work life balance. Expect employees to live their job. Very stressful place to work.
Pros
Great discount.most of the other staff is good.
Cons
No set schedule./management tend to bully staff.
Great company to work for
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Ontario23 November 2016
I loved working for Shoppers, I had a great management team as well as great co-workers. My manager was a very hard working woman who led by example. The only bad thing about working there was not being eligible for benefits because I was not considered full time even though I worked 35+ hours a week. I learned a lot working here and would recommend it to anyone.
Pros
Staff lunches, great management, incentives
Cons
low pay, benefits
Still need improvement
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON18 October 2016
In overall Shoppers Drug Mart is good but still need improvement to become leading in the market. During my Job some time i feel lack of professionalism or lack of operational control. Some nights i worked alone despite of heavy flow of work and some time unnecessarily more staff and less work. Most importantly salary is quite low. They must have to introduce special bonus for night shift to motivate staff to continue work with shoppers.
flexible and enjoyable environment
Cosmetician and Beauty and Skin Advisor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 October 2016
As a beauty expert holding experienced skills in free-lance make up and advanced skin care knowledge, working at Shoppers Drug Mart beauty boutique I held many other duties and responsibilities that assisted in ceaseless work ethic skills.

Learning to set in order and implement policies and standards in a retail business to cultivate corporate goals for our specific team. Acquiring a leadership role in the team improved my interpersonal skills with increasing ability in interaction with both management and co-workers as well as clients in delivering high quality customer service.
Pros
30% off discount on regular priced merchandise
Cons
closing shifts until midnight
Pleasant Experience
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Maple, ON15 November 2016
I have worked for Shoppers Drug Mart for over 15 years. I have always been treated fairly by the management and staff. A typical day at work includes opening the store, preparing the tills for the day, doing the deposit and then facing and organizing the items on the shelves. The most enjoyable part of this job is the people I work.
Pros
Friendly staff, room to grow (SDM University), fair wage, discount
Cons
Long hours on feet
Friendly atmosphere with great co-workers
Front Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 October 2016
A typical day at work was repetitive, but, somedays were different which would be exciting. I learned A LOT about every aspect of retail operations which i am extremely grateful for. Management in store was great along with an amazing team of co-workers. The hardest challenges were having to always be on top of everything, but that is the most enjoyable part also, knowing I could rise to all challenge.
Pros
Employee Discount Program
Cons
Long hours, very little flexibility.
Busy, but organized and well supported by corporate
Staff Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  New Glasgow, NS29 September 2016
Corporate office provided us with the best tools and training available to be productive in high volume situations. Lots of opportunity for training in specialized fields (diabetes educator, etc). Yearly conferences for team spirit and updates on new innovations.
Pros
Well managed by corporate, the most up to date tools to practice efficiently and with confidence
Cons
store hours, open until midnight and often return for 8am opening
good benefits but horrible work environment
Pharmacy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 September 2016
typical day includes way too much stress than any one person should handle, adequate training is not provided, long shifts and short breaks, inexperienced colleagues who sometimes are not willing to learn or follow directions. management does nothing to ensure new hires are adequately trained, they're comfortable leaving the bulk of the work on one or two employees. adequate compensation raises a problem.
The potential to earn and to excel in sales is good. The Optimum program is exceptional.
Cosmetician (Current Employee) –  Duncan, BC30 September 2016
The work atmosphere is fun and coworkers are great. Tools necessary to succeed are provided.
Building client relationships and helping them choose the right products is the most enjoyable part of the job.
The opportunity for advancement doesn't seem to be within reach.
Pros
Good atmosphere, fun coworkers, great product selection
Cons
Late hours, not much room for advancement
horrible work environment
Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS4 November 2016
I worked here for 2-3 weeks trying to learn what I needed to work in this pharmacy. I have worked in 2 other pharmacies in my life with great reviews. However this pharmacy location was horrible with team communication and teaching new employees everything they needed to know. there is lots to learn and when you put someone on shift with no one to help you its stressful. I'm not a quitter. they had to fire me because even though I feel like I should quit I went into work everyday trying my hardest to figure out what to do. Everyone was too busy to take a few minutes to help me with any problems I had. I did not feel like I was part of a team or cared for. Never work here in the pharmacy.
Pros
Cons
management never around, poor/little/no training provided, no communication between team members
Productive and fun workplace
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON15 November 2016
Enjoyed working there, awesome co-workers made it fun always laughing and getting our job done. It was great helping out different customers with whatever they needed help with. I've learned a lot from working there and different products. I wouldn't say that there was anything hard about this job.
Pros
Got experience and knowledge about things i didn't know before
Cons
Didn't have any
Productive and fun workplace
Assistant Front Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Comox Valley, BC8 December 2016
Having the opportunity to coach and train staff for a new location was a great experience. Being able to add value to your team by giving them the gift of knowledge in merchandise, cash handling, supervisor responsibilities, running the photo centre, completing planograms, shipping and receiving.
Pros
Coaching and Training Opportunities
Cons
Long Hours

Shoppers Drug Mart / Pharmaprix Reviews by Location