Sherwin-Williams Employee Reviews

Good atmosphere, low salary and little advancement
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 October 2016
I have worked with Sherwin Williams for three months, the store manager and assistant store manager are nice, the most interesting things are tinting the gallons of paints to the customers. The hardest time is carrying all of the boxes and pills to the right place in every week's warehouse stock. But the salary and benefits of part time employees are very bad, only the minimum payment without any commissions.
Pros
Nice colleagues
Cons
Low salaries, little advancement
Review
District Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 October 2016
I enjoy the company but I wish they would offer benefits to part time employees. This is why I am looking for a different opportunity.

My time has been enjoyable.
Great place for experience
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 October 2016
Great place to learn about running your own business and how to deal with retail customers. Very demanding and long hours per week. Overall, a good company to work for so long as you are willing to work hard and go the extra mile to be successful.
No interview don't bother
?? (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB1 August 2016
Even when you have certification in interior design and arts degree, they still won't arrange a interview. Yes I'm leaving this review in hopes that a job you have been trying to fill for four months in grande prairie gets filled by someone who has no clue in color matching, tinting and good customer service
Poor Upper Management and Dishonest Company
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 July 2016
I had worked for Sherwin Williams for 2 years and had nothing but trouble. The Management lies constantly to you buy dangling career advancements in your face and telling you that you need to do certain tasks to get those positions. Once you've over work yourself to complete the tasks given, the job opportunity never happens. They will hire an unqualified employee above you (for the same position you've applied for) and then you will have to train that person. In my experience the company never told any of the interview candidates that they did not receive a position, you would just see the new employee start working in your store and it created a lot of hostility towards the new co worker. The Management of the store I was in would be too open with customers and they would let the customers know the inside operations of the business as well as information about employees work behavior and personal life. The contractors at Sherwin were way to involved in the company "Drama" and "Politics" it is like nothing I have ever seen before. After leaving Sherwin Williams I still to this day hear false rumors being spread about me by the store Management, members or the Sales Team and other Store Employees. The Management has the team brain washed into thinking something that is far from the truth. If you ever going to apply for this company all I have to say is Good Luck or RUN as fast as you can. I'm glad I had left this company when I did.
Pros
Close to home.
Cons
Bad Management. No Full Time positions. False promises. Minimum pay for the hard work you do.
productive and fun place to work
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 June 2016
very good team, amazing managent ,i have learned alot with the time i spent there.
it`s busy place very good for building your customer service experience
Productive workplace with helpful management
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Waterdown, ON26 May 2016
I learned a wide variety of knowledgeable information regarding paints and stains. I provide useful suggestions to customers depending on their individual needs relating to what type of paints they should be utilizing and how to properly apply them.
run from this company, don't look back, hide and don't ever regret it
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Canada26 April 2016
I learned how back stabbing and petty politics can be confused for a viable business model.

Management was a joke. We used to call the 'superiors' who would come from the states to inspect our stores seagulls. They fly in (on their private jets) %^&*( all over everyone and then leave.

Co-workers thought finding fault and petty judgements were what they were paid for. Just reflecting upper management of passing crapp along the line.

People, can we say TEAMWORK.

Hardest part of the job. start of the day.

Best part of the job. end of the day...and paychecks.
Pros
good benefits package
Cons
everything but good benefits package
Productive work enviroment
Sales (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB3 March 2016
Helping customers with all their painting needs. Learning about new products and the contractors job needs. My Co-workers are great to work with as we work as a team. The hardest part of the job is being called stupid, an idiot or a moron; to the customers; by the management. The best part about the job is working with the customers.
Pros
Helping and talking with customers
Cons
Management has no sensitivity training to deal with employees.
High pace work environment with a group of like-minded, likeable people
Branch Warehouser and Colour Mixer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 March 2016
- High pace working environment
- Always on the go/always something to do
- Great group of coworkers
- Very physically demanding job
- Multi-tasking job
Pros
Great group of coworkers
Cons
low pay
challenging workplace
Environmental, Health and Safety Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC31 January 2016
Working in Sherwin-Williams will enable you to gain an extensive amount of knowledge. Very challenging workplace with a high turn over rate
productive and fun workplace
Store Manager - Richmond, Burnaby, Vancouver (Former Employee) –  White Rock, BC27 January 2016
-customer service, tinting paint for customers, handling projects for large contractors, handling cash
-working under pressure, meeting deadlines, creating strong bonds with contractors and making them feel comfortable with my store and staffs
-excellent team work, working as a team and creating a happy work environment
-product failures, dealing with claims
-providing excellent service to exiting and new customers. working in a team is always fun.
Pros
national sales event free trips once a year.
Cons
long week hours.
Excellent external training provided three months in
sales representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 December 2015
Excellent corporate culture with ample room for advancement. The work load as a sales rep can be staggering at times, but the uncapped bonus structure can make it worth it.
Pros
Sales training in Cleveland
Cons
No Fun and your homies cant have none
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 December 2015
Revolving door. long hours some management works seven days a week because there are no full time staff who are not management and part-time workers are hard to find or do not stay here for low pay and little to no incentives.

Huge top down bottom up corporation. You do not matter here. Trust nobody there is so much gossip between stores management and employees. Morale is very low and there is always a huge turnover in staff from General Paint and Sherwin Williams.
Pros
discount on paint
Cons
No life
Summer Internship
Business Internship Trainee (Former Employee) –  New York14 October 2015
It was a good place to work, learned a lot of different things from registry to maintaining stock and cleaning up the store, pricing. Good people to work with.
Happy to have the experience
Quality Contol (Current Employee) –  Grimsby Ontario27 January 2015
Let me start by saying that it is extremely hard to get a full time position for this company. I have heard rumors that this was a great company to work for. You can only hired as a temp with promise of 8 months and temps on priduction floor last between 1 day and 3 months on average. Personally I work in the lab and my co workers, most management are great to work with and very compliant although my direct manager has been completely ignorant to myself and almost every other employee. She has gone as far as saying "Who cares about your kids" When asked if i could switch shifts 3 weeks in advance because of a child care issue. Her excuses for anything i have asked have been absolutely ridiculous and i have always got a "No". Being a temp is hard and it seems like management does not care that they have an ignorant and completely unqualified manager amongst them. I could go on about this particular manager but there is no need. I am grateful for the experience and happy working with my co workers and will probably be more grateful when my time comes to an end.
Pros
Co workers and experience
Cons
Pay and Manager
Learn a lot and have much fun at work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Brampton Ontario19 July 2014
Sherwin Williams is indeed a great employer to work for. With a stable income and a good chance of advancement, I have seen several university new graduates been promoted to store management team including assistant manager and store manager. With the bonus structure your hard work pays off at the end of each quarter. Certainly, in a retail store, you must be able to face daily challenges such as negotiating prices with customers and solving issues that happened during previous sale (sometimes may require assistance from your sales representatives and district managers). To meet goals also is vital; however, with friendly staff and great support from your supervisors, sales budget is fair and can be reached with your hard work.
Pros
Stable income with a good chance of advancement
Cons
need to negotiate prices with customer on a daily basis and may face difficult customers
mixing paint for life
Third Key holder (Former Employee) –  surrey BC6 May 2014
Easy days usually. its retail with mainly contractors as customers. Good hands on training and education on paints and what they do, and what to recommend. Easy parts were helping customers. toughest part was doing weekly stock by yourself. Had fun with co workers and team. nice location, near everything.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
only part time
good work atmosphere
Line Operator (Current Employee) –  grimsby Onatrio23 April 2014
I really enjoyed my experience at Sherwin Williams Canada. But found no oppurtunities for any advancement.
Pros
good atmosphere
Cons
bad management
Great people to work with
Customer Service Leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 April 2014
The people that work for Sherwin Williams are all great people. But they are very strict with enforcing policy and the higher ups leave almost no room you to enjoy your time at the company.

That being said the customers and the people on the ground floor are great.
Pros
good people
Cons
no room to breathe

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sherwin-Williams. Our community is ready to answer.