Sheridan Nurseries Employee Reviews in Canada

Friendly co-workers, good working environment
Carry Out/Guest Services (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONJanuary 2, 2016
Good working environment, friendly co-workers, management team is alright, mostly understanding and flexible when asked if could be dismissed early if required to, good for those who enjoy physical labour, hard to keep busy during Fall and Winter seasons typically a regular eight hour shift that mostly involves helping to load heavier objects in to customer's vehicles, can be difficult to assist customers in the summer when it is at it's peak time
Cons
Schedule posting late, not like most stores posting scheduled hours 2-3 weeks in advance
Beautiful place to work
Nursery Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJuly 4, 2016
Overall Sheridan provides good work experience. There is a beautiful atmosphere and an excellent selection for guests. I have learned a large amount of information regarding plant identification and care. I enjoy my time spent working with my co-workers. The hardest part of the job are the strenuous conditions. As an outside job, the experience is only as good as the weather. The management is stressful to deal with worker needs, but all provide a high level of product knowledge. The most enjoyable part of the job is working in the nursery watering the shrubs and trees.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
strenuous conditions
Productive and easy going environment
Salesperson and Delivery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 11, 2016
A typical day at work would consist of selling plant material to customers, and going on deliveries across Toronto and Mississauga. This was a great and easy going environment I learned many new skills such as, how to sell products to customers, how to be confident when doing so, how to deal with complaints and problems accordingly, and also how to plant and keep care of many different types of plants, flowers and trees. The management was amazing at sheridan, very helpful, productive and outgoing! My co-workers were also very nice people, very easy to get along with, and also very helpful around the store. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was learning about the products around the store and tactics of which helped me sell these products.
Great people, though it is hard work
Guest Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 28, 2016
Generally a very good place to work, though the people are what make the place. If you have a good lot of people that year, it can be very enjoyable, but there are people who make the experience potentially worse. Overall in my experience it has been great.
Nice people, Beautiful place
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, ONJune 15, 2016
I loved this place it's too bad the season ended, pizza at the end of every month was also amazing. Learned to drive a forklift.
great company
Home Decor Supervisor /Merchandiser/Sales (Former Employee) –  younge and lawrenceFebruary 7, 2015
A fun company to work for, lot's of variety in product and I enjoy the changing of the season's and working outside.

I learned so much about plants.

Good management team.

I enjoy working with all my associates

Hardest part if the hours and advancement.

I love helping people solve their indoor and outdoor garden problems.

Still currently employed there.
Pros
look forward to going to work
Cons
weekend and salary
Hardworking and Fun Place to Work
Farm Labourer (Former Employee) –  Norval, OntairoOctober 19, 2015
A workplace where need to work long hard hours to produce at the expectations of you. It is a fun work place environment for all ages with lots of communication between co-workers.
I enjoyed working there but didn't give me a explanation of why the let me go.
Guest service (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONApril 23, 2015
ongoing, always moving, co-workers were respectful, enjoyed the accomplishments at the end of the job. Had to unloaded racks of heavy plants and materials. Tear down and rebuild seasonal appliances in the workplace.
Pros
get free lunch with training or meetings
Cons
long hours with minimum breaks.
Alright
General Labourer (Current Employee) –  Norval, ONMay 27, 2015
- Long hours each day (12hrs) 6 days a week.
-Never told when we were done each day, just when shipment was over
- Job hours wasn't communicated well
Pros
Staff
Fun Workplace
Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 7, 2012
the staff were great very generous and kind hearted they became very close to me and they respected and i to them.the hours were long and there were goodtimes and everyone had good work ethic.
the management was great they taught me everything and show me what to do and how to do it. i loved it.
Pros
me and my co-workers were lauging having a great time it was all amazeing
Cons
nothing was ever wrong
fun workplace with respectful people
Store Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 10, 2012
The People were nice, management was respectful a typical day at work was cleaning the store and watering plants there was no hard part at work the only con was only working five hours i would've liked to do 8hrs. other then that it was fun.
Pros
good workplace
Cons
not enough hours
Great for student
nursery worker and carry out (Current Employee) –  kitchener, OnJuly 29, 2014
start the day by getting a radio, used frequently to communicate as the store is large and we are all scattered throughout either helping guests or lifting stuff

trucks come in with trees and potted plants, I lift them off the truck and put them on a skid. a forklift carries them away

someone once told me that there is no such thing as a stupid question. At Sheridan, the only questions I am ever asked are stupid questions. For example, "how much does this plant cost." I would like to respond, "I don't have time for this, I am currently balancing a heavy wooden skid on my head. Why don't you just read the price tag." But I instead say, "This plant costs $X.99. And we also have a 25% sale on dahlia's. How else may I help you?"

Despite the minor inconveniences, the people whom I worked with at Sheridan are sweet hearts. Funny, charming, and super cool. I wish I could take them with me to my next job.
Pros
great people
Cons
little to no pay and unpredictable work hours
Good place to work with great employees
Carryout/ Maintenance (Former Employee) –  markham, OntarioMarch 25, 2014
I enjoyed my time at sheridan and the work was straight forward. It was easy to balance my job with my schoolwork and baseball schedule, but unfortunately as the summer season began my regular 3 shifts a week were not given to me. I enjoyed working with the other employee's around me and I learned a lot about plants and other outdoor products we sold and by the end of my time there I felt that I was able to help customers on a regular basis and not worry about misinforming them or having to ask other employee's for assistance.
Fun Workplace
Sales, Custom Design (Former Employee) –  North YorkDecember 9, 2013
A typical day would include checking to see if all orders are ready to go out for that day, setting up what needs to be delivered , helping customers, taking new orders, executing designs, plant care, visual merchandising and then clean up.
It was a fun workplace to work in. Great Team!
However, there wasn't enough training for the staff, so the managers were over worked, and the employees were under worked, which made busy days really frustrating for both staff and customers.
Pros
creative, fun, team effort
Cons
not organized, not enough training
Best Summer Job Ever
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 10, 2013
The best part of this job was having amazing co-workers and managers and getting to work outside in the nice weather.
Pros
the company was run extremely well
Cons
peak season ends in july; employment isn't for very long
Ok for temp/seasonal work for young teens
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 17, 2013
Hard work but good co workers. Lots of lifting and very knowledge based.

2.7