Job Title: Nurse Practitioner
Job ID #: UHT 14-0201
Department: Urban Health Team
Reports To: Director, Urban Health
Status: Full Time, Permanent
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Sherbourne Health Centre (SHC) provides innovative primary health care to the diverse populations of southeast Toronto with a special focus on people who are homeless, the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transsexual and transgender communities, and newcomers to Canada. We are primarily funded by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care and the Toronto Central Local Health Integration Network.
We are presently looking for a Nurse Practitioner to join the Urban Health Team to provide innovative health care to people who are homeless or under-housed. This is an exciting opportunity to work as a member of an inter-disciplinary care team to develop and provide a diverse and varied service in a community based setting.
- Provides ongoing comprehensive primary health care to clients of all ages with the scope of practice of an RN (EC) including assessments, diagnosis, counselling, screening, referral, education, treatment and follow-up
- Consults with other health professionals as required to establish a diagnosis and plan of care
- Discusses health concern/diagnosis with the client and together determines an appropriate plan of care
- Provides ongoing follow-up and evaluation of the plan of care with the client
- Provides supportive counseling to clients with mental health/emotional concerns and refers to internal or external resources as necessary
- Provides homecare and participates in outreach activities as required
- Prescribes and dispenses medication to clients without access to medication as delegated by protocols and/or physician
- Collaborates with community partners to provide education and information regarding improved access to primary health care service
- Participates actively on networks and coalitions dealing with issues affecting primary health care
This position requires the ability to work flexible shifts including regular days, evenings and Saturdays.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Current registration as an RN (EC) with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Experience obtained in either primary care or a community setting is preferred
- 3 years experience working with persons marginalized by poverty, discrimination, and/or homelessness and an understanding of their health issues
- Experience working with individuals who face mental health and substance use issues
- Knowledge and understanding of primary prevention and health promotion theory and practice
- Proven ability to work within a multidisciplinary team and also independently
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrates an understanding of working within an anti-oppression framework
- Demonstrates a commitment to a healthy and safe workplace for self and others (staff, patients, families, etc.) by taking all reasonable precautions and working in compliance with SHC related policies, health and safety legislation and best practices
We offer competitive compensation and benefits, including participation in the Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP) and professional development.
As an employer, Sherbourne Health Centre is dedicated to building an organization that reflects the diversity of our clients and the communities we serve. This includes diversity in languages spoken, culture, race, sexual orientation and gender identity. When applying, we encourage you to indicate languages you speak in addition to English.
Application: If you are interested in this position, please forward a cover letter and resume quoting Job ID # UHT 14-0201
Visit our website at www.sherbourne.on.ca
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. No phone calls or drop ins please.