Shell Employee Reviews

enjoyable part of the job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 June 2016
This was my first job in canada,I learn communication skills,Nice manager and coworker.Always ready to help.I got numerous WOW from head office.
Pros
Easy Work
Cons
Timing
OK
Attendant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa4 September 2015
For a dead end job this was ok for a bit. The management was great and the co-workers were fun, but that's about it. Min wage, very little job security and little room for advancement, pushed unrealistic quotas without commission and no ways for us to even really boost sales. There was long hours alone and extremely short shifts as well.
Shell in a nutshell
Shell Trading and Operatins Trainee (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 January 2014
Great company to work for! I enjoyed the extra lunch and learns which were very educational and essential to my career growth. I especially love the yearly IDP and IPF's as they are a fantastic opportunity to further yourself.
Pros
Great benefits!
Cons
Big corporation
limited advancement and poor communication from management
Night Cashier (Current Employee) –  London, ON9 March 2016
This job has no future but is a good stepping stone to more productive and fulfilling career job. it is a line assemble job with no structure or encouragement to do more than what is least required to do job.
Pros
own boss
Cons
no comunication / advancement
Highly skilled staff and crew
Journeyman Millwright (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB25 July 2015
Wonderful place to work; with great benefits. Unfortunately with the low price of oil 150 skilled trades people were laid off.
Great company
Cost Control Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 June 2016
Really enjoyed my time, sad I had to leave. Hopefully we cross paths again in the future. Great team and leaders. First class all the way, definitely recommend to anyone.
Layoffs, staff quitting, company very disorganized
Upstream America (Former Employee) –  Canada27 April 2014
Shell has a "third party" hired to help turn the company around. Management has no clue what they are doing, no communication, staff members overloaded with work, and no moral anymore.
Pros
Company benefits
Cons
Unstable company
Good Company
Survey Technologist (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray17 February 2015
Very good company to work for great work/life balance. Good compensation package friendly co-workers. Very good work schedule to balance work and family time.
Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON27 April 2015
Not many benefits to the job at all. I worked cash and it wasnt too bad, but wouldnt work there again unless I was really desperate. The owner wasnt the greatest. Didnt even have as much as water available to us.
nice place to work at
gas station clerk/agent (Current Employee) –  Ladner, BC27 June 2014
manager is very friendly, will help you in any way she can.
morning shifts are busy, specially in the afternoon when the kids finish school.
most enjoyable part of the job is that i can converse with people to actually practice my english.
Pros
easy job
Cons
no benefits
Logistics Team Lead, OSG (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 April 2012
Lots of opportunity for additional training and advancement
Pros
excellent pension and benefits
Cons
calgary
Great Customers, Poor Management skills for the manager
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Liberty Street , Bowmanville, ON28 February 2015
Shell Canada on Liberty Street in Bowmanville, On was my first cashiering job. I enjoyed it. I never had time for my Fiance or friends but I enjoyed my job until my manager started to mix personal life with my work life. My manager had went and told my Fiance that I accidentally locked myself out on a night shift and that I was an idiot for locking myself out. She made me sit outside in the dark for an hour and a half. I would have loved to stay working with Shell because my boss was awesome, the pay was great and I was getting amazing hours. But the manager was the problem and still is. I would return to Shell if the boss hired a new manager, the manager abuses his/her position as a manager. The hardest part of my job was impatient customers or customers who liked to blame me for the gas prices. The enjoyable part was getting to meet so many people in my community.
Pros
Excellent Hours
Cons
Poor Management
The great outdoors
customer service (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON28 April 2016
The best part about my time as Shell was being able to sit outside and enjoy the summer when we were not busy. Working the car wash allowed a lot of outdoor time as well.
Fun Place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB25 August 2013
Got to meet alot of nice people, Love the work, management was reasonable
Pros
Getting to meet lots of good people
Cons
salary
Work
Application Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 April 2016
Everyday was a new learning experience. Working with the geologists and other technical professions was always informative and rewarding.
Positive atmosphere.
RADIO SYSTEMS FOCAL (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB9 July 2013
Great people, great benefits, great management, overall great place to work!
Fun place to work
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 April 2016
Usually a fun place to work with great customers and great co workers. I learnt the value of team work. Can be stressful but most days were pretty good.
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB21 April 2016
Had a great time while I was there.
Team lead and Maintenance Manager took a very good place to work into a not so good place to work.
Pros
Pays Well
Cons
Remote Location
Not a lot of job security anymore
Sales Support (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta28 August 2015
I spent a lot of time contemplating what I should write as a review. When I first started 7 years ago, I thought I found my last job. Management was great, the job was very fulfilling and challenging and the pay was exceptional.

Unfortunately, a lot has changed. Now there is very little support from management, just ever growing expectations. Over the last few years, with all the out-sourcing, there are just not a lot of rewarding opportunities for employment, just a lot of philosophical positions that add very little value to the organization.

That combined with a avalanche of fast-talking "analysts" who are more concerned with finding there next job than putting the time and effort to actually contributing to the success of the company. They are more concerned with manipulated KPIs than customer satisfaction.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
They are also your competition for an ever shrinking job pool
good crew
Gas Attendant (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB29 February 2016
loved the job. constantly busy always moving had a lot to do in a shift. management was decent. things were always changing with new product sales and advertisements