Shell Employee Reviews in Canada

Great Company
Continuous Improvement Lead, Global (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 23, 2015
Amazing workplace. Professional and friendly employees. Safety focused above all else. I was proud to work for this company and appreciated all the experience I gained there.
Good Company
Survey Technologist (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurrayFebruary 17, 2015
Very good company to work for great work/life balance. Good compensation package friendly co-workers. Very good work schedule to balance work and family time.
Excellent and safe.
Scanner Technician on board the ALLSEAS SOLITAIRE (Former Employee) –  globalAugust 28, 2014
The work environment although challenging was dynamic,safe and very productive for all involved. It was an experience I will always be grateful to have had as I move on in my career.
Pros
salary/bonuses
Cons
long hours as well as high intensity
Great Company, great people, excellent work /life balance!
Facilities Engineer (Current Employee) –  CalgarySeptember 24, 2014
The work life culture of this company is great and the management well focused.
There is so much to learn and the team spirit is superb!
Pros
excellent training
Cons
none that i know
A good learning experience for customer service and management skills.
Customer service representative (Current Employee) –  Delta, BCJune 4, 2015
I normally do 6 am - 2 pm shifts and it is mostly the busiest time of the day. But working in such a fast paced environment helps me to handle customers, taking care of cash, keeping the store organised all at the same time and also working as a team with my co-workers.
Hardest part of the job is multi-tasking to ensure everything is going right in order to satisfy the needs of the customer but it s also the most enjoyable part of my job as it provides a great learning experience for me.
Pros
Healthy environment, free coffee, very systematic
Cons
basic pay, no breaks
Company in transition to RDS and conversion to SAP
JDEdwards Sales Order Processing Business Focal (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 26, 2015
A challenging time because of the buyout of Shell Canada by Royal Dutch Shell and the conversion from JDEdwards to SAP. Employee moral wasn't as high as it may have been before I got there.
Pros
Worldwide Company
Cons
Employee moral very low
Good place to have a part time job
Sales Associate and Site Safety Leader (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCMarch 4, 2015
Every day I am able to meet many different people from different backgrounds. Every day I also learn about different safety scenarios and many different safety precautions we need to take to ensure no accident happens on site.
The hardest part of my job is to be able to please all the customers who come in tot the gas station and need assistance with pumping their gas or make payment.
Pros
meet new people everyday and learn new safety procedures
Cons
less pay and no benefits
Poor Compensation, no accountability
Engineer (Current Employee) –  ScotfordJuly 17, 2012
Management is trained from within and are typically poor performers technically therefore they are moved into supervisory roles as there is no other placement for them. No accountability for the work therefore poor performers and top performers are ranked equally. Terrible morale within the organization. Compensation used to be great but now Shell is low end and HR guidelines are controlled by the Dutch. As a young engineer Shell is a good starting point to gain experience. If you are a senior engineer, don't waste your time, you will be dissapointed.
Pros
every 2nd friday off
Cons
all of the above
too many changes
Manager (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONMay 27, 2015
Working for this location was often times hectic with management and staff not knowing what each other was doing. Dealing with the customers was always a positive experience though
My time at Shell Canad was extremely enjoyable and challenging. I had learned so much there and appreciated everyone I worked with and for.
Logistics Lead UA Alberta (Former Employee) –  Edson ABMay 15, 2015
I was in charge of all the logistics for U/A in Alberta. That consisted of managing 116 contract companies and a 3PL company. Also managing 5 internal staff. I managed all freight, water, camps and aviation throughout Alberta. All Road Transport in and out of my assets were managed by me. I learned how to be a true leader and learned a lot about continuous self improvement. The hardest part of the job was the fact I had no breaks I was on call 24/7. The most enjoyable part of the job was always being presented with new challenges.
Productive, fast paced and fun place to work.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BCMarch 27, 2015
Relieve the morning staff, and help them finish up, then proceed with the evenings to do list.
efficient ways to handle inventory, and how to effectively serve customers.
Management was very reliable and effectively communicated.
Co-Workers were fun to work with.
The most enjoyable part of the jobs was the dinner rush.
Pros
Staff christmas parties.
Coordination of Shell Open University for 2,800 Employees
Human Resources Generalist (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABAugust 27, 2012
Worked for six months in a dynamic atmosphere, alongside many people who showed me how to adapt to the structure here
The people here are amazing, the foundation is breathtaking when helping others who are very willing to learn new skills.

Roles at Shell:
- Employee Relations Analyst 3 months
- Learning & Development Coordinator 3months

Very strong culture for success in that organization!
Pros
three day weekends (weekly), meet a lot of new friends, non-stressful
Cons
away from home, long hours
With the Oil price decline, the company is shedding many jobs
Downstream (Former Employee) –  London, UKJuly 28, 2015
I have enjoyed working for Shell, but recently the environment has gotten much tougher with lots of good staff being transferred or being let go, so hopefully soon it will go back to being a great company to work for.
Co-workers were knowledgable and helpful
Warehouse Technician (Former Employee) –  Corunna, ONFebruary 15, 2015
Usual days consisted of unloading trucks, shipping and receiving, handing out material to maintenance and contractors.
I have learned that safety is a frame of mind and should be on your mind with every task.
Management and coworkers were knowledgeable and helpful.
The most difficult part of the job was trying to come up with cost savings ideas.
The most enjoyable part of the job was getting what the customer needed asap.
good place
Assistant Attendant Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 3, 2015
i like to work there it is nice place to work i like working here i should work there more what else do you what me to say i said i liked working here
Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONApril 27, 2015
Not many benefits to the job at all. I worked cash and it wasnt too bad, but wouldnt work there again unless I was really desperate. The owner wasnt the greatest. Didnt even have as much as water available to us.
Was a very busy and rewarding experience.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kerrisdale, BCNovember 13, 2014
On a typical day I would do cash and do cash drops after a certain amount was in the till. I cleaned the store and kept a neat appearance, as well as set up promotional displays. I made sure the bathrooms were always cleaned and maintained and stocked shelves. I also provided great customer service to all the customers, greeting them as they walked in the door.
The hardest part of working there was when I had to work with the college students that hated the job and brought a lot of negative energy to the workplace.
The most enjoyable part of my job was when I received a service award from the company, it made me feel that my efforts of using my customer service skills to my utmost was well worth it and that even though my co-workers were making fun of me for being so serious about my job.
Pros
boosted my self confidence about my customer service skills
Cons
having to work with people who were negative and hating their job.
Enjoyable
Customer Services Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 4, 2014
typically dealing with customers who either wanted goods or gas. I learned alot about counting inventory, accounting, and dealing with unsatisfied customers. management treated employees pretty fairly. never had co-workers, mostly worked by my self. hardest part was during rush hour, dealing with an excessive amount of customers. Most enjoyable part was being able to help out a customer.
Pros
easy going culture
Cons
no breaks
Enjoyable place to work for almost all my time there
Fuel Attendant (Former Employee) –  Grimsby, ONMay 12, 2015
Shell in Grimsby is a very old place but that didn't stop us from having a blast working there. Although we never had much to offer besides fuel, and few in-store purchases, the customers loved coming back.
Pros
Spring/Summer months very nice weather, Meeting customers and speaking with regulars, Worked with friends, Amazing manager up until he left in summer of 2014
Cons
No breaks (unless no cars), No in-store food to buy (only drinks), Winter months are extremely cold when outside for long periods of time.
Albian is the worst place to work in the Oil Sands
Safety Advisor (Current Employee) –  Albian Sands, Ft. McMurray AlbertaNovember 2, 2013
I've worked on pretty much every oil sands site in Alberta and Albian is the worst. There is no safety culture and the systems they do have in place, are contradictory, aren't enforced and ignored. Production and deadlines are more important than safety. They have no New-to-Site worker plan, no BBS system, and no effective leadership in safety from upper management.
Pros
ok pay, albian camp not bad
Cons
no safety culture

Comment – December 12, 2013

Albian used to be a great place until the current management and all his good ol' boys from Texas took over. They're intentionally making it a terrible place to work if you're from out of town or a contractor in the hopes you quit and they can replace you with a cheaper local. As a result they're losing good people with years of experience and replacing them with green hands that know nothing. There will be a major accident there in the very near future. Just wait.