Shell Employee Reviews in Canada

better than other minimum pay jobs
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  maple Ridge, BCJuly 26, 2015
There's not much to be worried about,
so, there's work/life balance.

Light activities which we do as fun in a team.Time passes by fast.
Highly skilled staff and crew
Journeyman Millwright (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJuly 25, 2015
Wonderful place to work; with great benefits. Unfortunately with the low price of oil 150 skilled trades people were laid off.
Fun workplace with good lunch rooms and all available vendor machines ,stoves etc.
Heavy Equipment technician (Former Employee) –  Albian sands fort mcmurrayJuly 24, 2015
This is one of the best company`s too work for with good wages and benefits for individuals.The workplace is very relaxed but very safety concerned.Decent amount of politics on the floor but expected.excellent upper class management [workshop manager] otherwise not everyone has the same opinion and experience of this great company
Pros
everything is in place
Busy Work Atmosphere
Customer service / key holder (Former Employee) –  leducJuly 23, 2015
A typical day at work is helping customers with their purchases and stocking shelves and make sure the cleanliness of the overall store inside and out is up to store standards.
Poor work place effected by huge cuts.
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJuly 21, 2015
Due to recent cutback the Albian Site has become a uneasy place to work with little or no job security. No body wants to share or help each other for fear of losing there job.
Pros
Flights provided
Cons
Worst lunch selection have ever seen.
Great learning experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  London, ONJuly 16, 2015
Working at shell was a great way to interact with customers and co workers. Being social was never a problem so the job was easy to handle. The hardest part of the job was working nights, and being afraid of what could happen. Although nothing happened, I learned a lot about being prepared for any scenario. A typical day at work required salting the pavement, daily counts of lottery tickets and cigarettes. Thoroughly cleaning of shop and restrooms. I also had the privilege of helping manager with counting safe drops, and storing them at the bank. The last thing the job required me to do was stock shelves and maintain a clean, well stocked look in the store.
Pros
Taco Bell was across the street
Cons
Drunk customers
Brand Recognation
Operational Cluster Manager (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCJuly 4, 2015
It's honor to work for a Gasoline company. I would like to keep continue working and want to establish my self as a brand Ambassador.
Pros
Always be a Leader in Customer service, Health and safety oriented company, Teachnology oriented organisation.
Cons
Long Hours. It's hard to find employees for Gasoline industry.
Prior to the market fall out Shell was a great place to be employed.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, ABJuly 4, 2015
Shell provided great learning opportunities, of which I took advantage of during my time there.

Until the market stabilizes I am not confident to work in this industry.
Pros
Workdays were 8.25 hours with every second Friday off
Cons
Oil and gas market.
fun
Attendant (Former Employee) –  Langley, BCJune 22, 2015
I have learned being a gas attendent is alot harder then it looks but i thought it was more for me in the industry. i liked meeting the new ppl everyday
Pros
relaxing
Cons
n/a
About Lubana Foods
Retail Operational Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, ABJune 16, 2015
Company and Management was good but there was very slow growth and less opportunities.
I would love to work in same environment as staff was awesome.
Pros
good environment
Cons
less opportunities
hard on the mind
Maintenance trade (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJune 6, 2015
Absolutely no accountability for management. Constantly watching money being thrown away and mismanaged. Safety routes don't make sense and are to such an extreme that they have forgotten the whole point to begin with. All about the amount of check marks in the boxes whether it makes sense or not. If you can turn your brain off its the right place for you. Money is really good if you can handle being surrounded by idiots and bombarded by idiocy.
Pros
money
Cons
long long hours 415am to 730pm
A good learning experience for customer service and management skills.
Customer service representative (Current Employee) –  Delta, BCJune 4, 2015
I normally do 6 am - 2 pm shifts and it is mostly the busiest time of the day. But working in such a fast paced environment helps me to handle customers, taking care of cash, keeping the store organised all at the same time and also working as a team with my co-workers.
Hardest part of the job is multi-tasking to ensure everything is going right in order to satisfy the needs of the customer but it s also the most enjoyable part of my job as it provides a great learning experience for me.
Pros
Healthy environment, free coffee, very systematic
Cons
basic pay, no breaks
too many changes
Manager (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONMay 27, 2015
Working for this location was often times hectic with management and staff not knowing what each other was doing. Dealing with the customers was always a positive experience though
My time at Shell Canad was extremely enjoyable and challenging. I had learned so much there and appreciated everyone I worked with and for.
Logistics Lead UA Alberta (Former Employee) –  Edson ABMay 15, 2015
I was in charge of all the logistics for U/A in Alberta. That consisted of managing 116 contract companies and a 3PL company. Also managing 5 internal staff. I managed all freight, water, camps and aviation throughout Alberta. All Road Transport in and out of my assets were managed by me. I learned how to be a true leader and learned a lot about continuous self improvement. The hardest part of the job was the fact I had no breaks I was on call 24/7. The most enjoyable part of the job was always being presented with new challenges.
Enjoyable place to work for almost all my time there
Fuel Attendant (Former Employee) –  Grimsby, ONMay 12, 2015
Shell in Grimsby is a very old place but that didn't stop us from having a blast working there. Although we never had much to offer besides fuel, and few in-store purchases, the customers loved coming back.
Pros
Spring/Summer months very nice weather, Meeting customers and speaking with regulars, Worked with friends, Amazing manager up until he left in summer of 2014
Cons
No breaks (unless no cars), No in-store food to buy (only drinks), Winter months are extremely cold when outside for long periods of time.
Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONApril 27, 2015
Not many benefits to the job at all. I worked cash and it wasnt too bad, but wouldnt work there again unless I was really desperate. The owner wasnt the greatest. Didnt even have as much as water available to us.
Broken Car wash in sunny day
Multi-site retail operator (Former Employee) –  Victoria BCApril 25, 2015
Car were lined up and broken car wash and gave lots of free coffee coupons to customers with smile. and promised the customers that it will be fixed soon
Pros
Self Employed
Cons
24 hour
not bad
Student Geologist (Former Employee) –  CalgaryApril 16, 2015
Nice place for an internship, but good luck getting a job after. Especially now when it's a recession. Even if they say that you were successful through their SRD, it does not guarantee anything.
Good experience to boost confident level
Customer executive support (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONApril 14, 2015
Eight hours shift in that have to make coffees every 2 hours. This is the great opportunity to meet people have good conversation and contact with them. It boosts confidence level and helps to improve communication. Hardest part is to stand for eight hours and lot of instore work like refilling grocery, chocolate bars section, cleaning dusting. maintain work orders, getting all work done related to system, technical field.
Pros
Free coffees and snacks
Cons
8 hours standing job
Shell Canada is an upper echelon company to work for with great pay to contractors.
SFE Expeditor/Quality Assurance (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 13, 2015
Inadequate management in place - I feel that working for Shell was overall a good experience, but the lack of proper leadership was a contributing factor to the failure of the Carmen Creek Project experience to date.
Pros
Shell Canada upper echelon of oil and gas companies to work for
Cons
Shell executives, management and leadership staff preserve their own exorbitant incomes at all costs, work force counts for little