Shell Employee Reviews

Automotive technician
auto tech (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB7 August 2015
I worked 12 hour shifts.7 on 7 off .Week of days week of nights .I stayed in camp ,Flew home to Grande Prairie on days off, I repaired company equipment .I took courses to enhance my knowledge on other mining equipment .Highly competent in Diag and repairs of automobiles .Very strong people skills .I am an excellent team player .Management team were supportive and helpful .I enjoyed working with my team .Great bunch of guys .Job was not difficult for the most part. I enjoyed working and learning along side my team.
great safe learning experience
Power Engineer Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Peace River, AB24 January 2016
it was a great experience to learn from and a great place to learn in.
although it was only for three summers I enjoyed the people I worked with and each days daily runs and checks/ safety meeting.
when I worked there it was an odd shift schedule witch made it hard, life was planned around work.
Great Company, great people, excellent work /life balance!
Facilities Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary24 September 2014
The work life culture of this company is great and the management well focused.
There is so much to learn and the team spirit is superb!
Pros
Excellent training
Cons
None that I know
Shell is a great company to work with.
Process Analyst - Albian (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 October 2015
Shell is a great company and it values your contribution to the company. The benefit is great and schedules is fantastics it has work life balance.
Fun but not very fine due to night timing job
Customer Service / Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 November 2015
Cashiering
Checking inventory of goods sold and remains.
Maintaining good services to customers.
Maintaining good customer service
Pros
Free Health Benefits
Cons
Night Shift timings
Shell is over-rated
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB13 November 2014
I found Shell to be the most difficult of all Oil & Gas companies to work for.

Over regulated and has a cut throat pre-madonna culture with tons of inflated egos. Employee life spans in the office environment were short and the management was less then stellar.

Overall I would sooner work for someone else. They pay average too.
Pros
Big name on resume when you leave
Cons
Hard place to work.
Albian is the worst place to work in the Oil Sands
Safety Advisor (Current Employee) –  Albian Sands, Ft. McMurray Alberta2 November 2013
I've worked on pretty much every oil sands site in Alberta and Albian is the worst. There is no safety culture and the systems they do have in place, are contradictory, aren't enforced and ignored. Production and deadlines are more important than safety. They have no New-to-Site worker plan, no BBS system, and no effective leadership in safety from upper management.
Pros
OK pay, Albian camp not bad
Cons
No safety culture

Comment – December 12, 2013

Albian used to be a great place until the current management and all his good ol' boys from Texas took over. They're intentionally making it a terrible place to work if you're from out of town or a contractor in the hopes you quit and they can replace you with a cheaper local. As a result they're losing good people with years of experience and replacing them with green hands that know nothing. There will be a major accident there in the very near future. Just wait.

good working experience
Safety, salesman ship (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 August 2015
nice working experience with a potential to grow with not enough salary benefits.that work experience was quite valuable for me as it was my 1st ever job experience in canada and i learnt alot from that personally and professionally
Enjoyable
Customer Services Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 May 2014
typically dealing with customers who either wanted goods or gas. I learned alot about counting inventory, accounting, and dealing with unsatisfied customers. management treated employees pretty fairly. never had co-workers, mostly worked by my self. hardest part was during rush hour, dealing with an excessive amount of customers. Most enjoyable part was being able to help out a customer.
Pros
easy going culture
Cons
No breaks
Cheque exchange
Heavy Oil Revenue Business Integrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 September 2015
This is one of the most stressful week during cheque exchange at the end you see the positive results, you can count on your coworkers we all a team it doesn't matter what is your position on that day everyone is the same, is a long day ( you go home around 8 9 sometimes after 10 pm) some times with out dinner, is so intense, waiting for volumes, prices, input the revenue and upload JE, at the end of the day you high five because you did your part, in stead of taking taxi, i will drive my coworker home stop at mcdonald's for a milk shake and talk about our day, there's no complains, your learn to work as a team and gather ideas and results, we had a little bit of supervision and the end for sign off,
Pros
our time to price ourselves by going for coffee next day
Cons
You don't get to have dinner with your family but they understand is not everyday you stay late
Was alright!
instrumentation (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB7 January 2016
Working for shell canada was awarding first but soon you realize that it is very much I mean way to much performance base where you completely rely on other departement performance in order to succeed within your job. Therefore, its somewhat bias when it comes to individual performance.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
to performance focused
Completions Engineer
Field Completions Engineer/On-Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Foothills, AB26 January 2016
Shell was an excellent company to work for. I benefited from excellent training, both formal and through mentor-ship.
Fast paced retail environment
Store Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC26 October 2015
Typical work day at shell revolves around making sure guests receive exceptional customer service while the team exceeds the sale and promotions targets.
Busy work place but fun and versatile
Bilingual Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 September 2015
Great company to work for with the ability to transfer departments within the entire company. Working in the retail department lets you be very hands on with gas station owners, customers and other office staff. Open work space so you can always interact but still have the privacy needed when dealing with customer and staff. There is definitely red tape as it is a very big oil and gas company but always had a great time at work, It never felt like work as we had a fantastic group of co-workers
Pros
Loved the interaction with customers
Cons
couple months out of the year it was a lot of overtime for contract time.
Outsourcing & Contracting
Senior Buyer/Contract Analyst (Current Employee) –  Scotford, AB12 September 2015
Learn and practice the culture of outsourcing scope of regular and onsite services via term contracting. Interactions with stakeholders and contractor to seek value improvement, eliminate waste and enhance productivity.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Good place to work as an Employee
Turnaround Project Focal (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB29 January 2015
I enjoyed the work balance between the office and the field. There was more than ample opportunity to earn new skill sets and practice them. I found the management to be very charismatic and interested in what I was working on and provided me opportunities to undertake added responsibilities. The hardest part of the job was maintaining good communication with key individuals assigned to the projects especially if some were away or on leave. To round it off I`d have to say it was a pleasure working with the Project Engineers and OR Coordinators who always demonstrated high levels of professionalism and diligence.
Pros
Team Building - Golf Tourney
Cons
Contractor resentment from coworkers. Site parking!
Productive And Fast Learner
Cashier and Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 February 2016
I like to work in a team rather than working alone. I like sales the most and i always learn new techniques to promote a product.
Good place to know about process engineering
Technology Improvement Intern (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 February 2016
Work at site with several classmates
Learned about the process of pipeline for both the oil and gas.
Learned how to use CAD
Wonderful Company
Site Information Manager Document Control (Former Employee) –  Albian Sands/ Calgary8 January 2016
My Time at Shell Canada was a great Experience. The Work Ethic was amazing and everyone was respectful of one another. I would recommend Shell to anyone that wants to apply there.
Senior Reservoir Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 October 2015
Management philosophy and mode creates room for high suspicion among workers with sporadic staff changes. Employees generally have little trust in the system.