Shell Employee Reviews

hard on the mind
Maintenance trade (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJune 6, 2015
Absolutely no accountability for management. Constantly watching money being thrown away and mismanaged. Safety routes don't make sense and are to such an extreme that they have forgotten the whole point to begin with. All about the amount of check marks in the boxes whether it makes sense or not. If you can turn your brain off its the right place for you. Money is really good if you can handle being surrounded by idiots and bombarded by idiocy.
Pros
money
Cons
long long hours 415am to 730pm
good working experience
Safety, salesman ship (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 28, 2015
nice working experience with a potential to grow with not enough salary benefits.that work experience was quite valuable for me as it was my 1st ever job experience in canada and i learnt alot from that personally and professionally
A good learning experience for customer service and management skills.
Customer service representative (Current Employee) –  Delta, BCJune 4, 2015
I normally do 6 am - 2 pm shifts and it is mostly the busiest time of the day. But working in such a fast paced environment helps me to handle customers, taking care of cash, keeping the store organised all at the same time and also working as a team with my co-workers.
Hardest part of the job is multi-tasking to ensure everything is going right in order to satisfy the needs of the customer but it s also the most enjoyable part of my job as it provides a great learning experience for me.
Pros
Healthy environment, free coffee, very systematic
Cons
basic pay, no breaks
Brand Recognation
Operational Cluster Manager (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCJuly 4, 2015
It's honor to work for a Gasoline company. I would like to keep continue working and want to establish my self as a brand Ambassador.
Pros
Always be a Leader in Customer service, Health and safety oriented company, Teachnology oriented organisation.
Cons
Long Hours. It's hard to find employees for Gasoline industry.
Shell is a great company to work with.
Process Analyst - Albian (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 10, 2015
Shell is a great company and it values your contribution to the company. The benefit is great and schedules is fantastics it has work life balance.
Lowest wages, high humiliation, no job security, no benefits
Sales assisstant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON, CanadaSeptember 2, 2015
I've been working with Shell for two years. The salary never rises and you don't get any benefits. I have been given one uniform shirt and its shrinking on me each time I wash it. No care or concern is shown towards the employees. NO hand sanitizers installed. Retailers save pennies and compromise on every single thing that is related with safety. No scope to progress further no matter how hard you work. Being a female worker, I have rendered all kinds of work including shoveling in heavy snow. The hardest part of the job is to shovel and lot pick particularly when its extremely cold. They should hire the services who do this for their properties. at that amount of salary, its the most terrible job that we are told to do. No progress expected at this job but helps one keep financially viable. I also do the office work and I never mind cleaning toilets or shoveling or lot picking but at least they should give us a slight raise.
Pros
Cons
No Breaks at all. No Free Lunches, No benefits
Great Company
Continuous Improvement Lead, Global (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 23, 2015
Amazing workplace. Professional and friendly employees. Safety focused above all else. I was proud to work for this company and appreciated all the experience I gained there.
Store Supervisor
BRANCH SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONOctober 21, 2015
Working for Shell has been an experience. Try it out if you'd like, I don't plan on returning, ever. Remember that you'll be working with a private contractor.
My time at Shell Canad was extremely enjoyable and challenging. I had learned so much there and appreciated everyone I worked with and for.
Logistics Lead UA Alberta (Former Employee) –  Edson ABMay 15, 2015
I was in charge of all the logistics for U/A in Alberta. That consisted of managing 116 contract companies and a 3PL company. Also managing 5 internal staff. I managed all freight, water, camps and aviation throughout Alberta. All Road Transport in and out of my assets were managed by me. I learned how to be a true leader and learned a lot about continuous self improvement. The hardest part of the job was the fact I had no breaks I was on call 24/7. The most enjoyable part of the job was always being presented with new challenges.
GOOD PLACE TO WORK
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 15, 2015
PLEASE WORK IN THIS COMAPNAY TO KNOW HOW TO DO MULTIPLE JOBS IN ONE TINE.LEARN HOE TO MANAGE TIME AND JOB.SOME TIME IT IS DIFFICULT TO HANDLE BEC AUSE OF NUMBER OF CLIENTS.
Enjoyable place to work for almost all my time there
Fuel Attendant (Former Employee) –  Grimsby, ONMay 12, 2015
Shell in Grimsby is a very old place but that didn't stop us from having a blast working there. Although we never had much to offer besides fuel, and few in-store purchases, the customers loved coming back.
Pros
Spring/Summer months very nice weather, Meeting customers and speaking with regulars, Worked with friends, Amazing manager up until he left in summer of 2014
Cons
No breaks (unless no cars), No in-store food to buy (only drinks), Winter months are extremely cold when outside for long periods of time.
Prior to the market fall out Shell was a great place to be employed.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, ABJuly 4, 2015
Shell provided great learning opportunities, of which I took advantage of during my time there.

Until the market stabilizes I am not confident to work in this industry.
Pros
Workdays were 8.25 hours with every second Friday off
Cons
Oil and gas market.
Senior Reservoir Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 4, 2015
Management philosophy and mode creates room for high suspicion among workers with sporadic staff changes. Employees generally have little trust in the system.
With the Oil price decline, the company is shedding many jobs
Downstream (Former Employee) –  London, UKJuly 28, 2015
I have enjoyed working for Shell, but recently the environment has gotten much tougher with lots of good staff being transferred or being let go, so hopefully soon it will go back to being a great company to work for.
Good experience to boost confident level
Customer executive support (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONApril 14, 2015
Eight hours shift in that have to make coffees every 2 hours. This is the great opportunity to meet people have good conversation and contact with them. It boosts confidence level and helps to improve communication. Hardest part is to stand for eight hours and lot of instore work like refilling grocery, chocolate bars section, cleaning dusting. maintain work orders, getting all work done related to system, technical field.
Pros
Free coffees and snacks
Cons
8 hours standing job
Shell Canada is an upper echelon company to work for with great pay to contractors.
SFE Expeditor/Quality Assurance (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 13, 2015
Inadequate management in place - I feel that working for Shell was overall a good experience, but the lack of proper leadership was a contributing factor to the failure of the Carmen Creek Project experience to date.
Pros
Shell Canada upper echelon of oil and gas companies to work for
Cons
Shell executives, management and leadership staff preserve their own exorbitant incomes at all costs, work force counts for little
oil & gas
Head of Projects Services (Former Employee) –  egyptSeptember 16, 2015
performance management of the Operations Performance Unit
Developing and maintaining clear metrics for the operations teams supported
Budgeting & Financial analysis
Canadian customer service at Shell
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Claresholm, ABApril 10, 2015
Customer Service in Shell Service station. Managed all aspects of service station store including orders, restocking, taking inventory, managing and balancing cash, making daily reports, and serving customers. Most of these tasks were not new to me but I had not previously worked in a service station. I enjoyed my arrival in Canada and made some friends among my coworkers. The hardest part of the job was being paid less than the rate promised in my contract and the isolated location in Claresholm.
Pros
Exciting arrival in Canada
Cons
Being paid less than agreed in contract
enhances people skills
Manager at Shell petrol station (Former Employee) –  Grand Valley, ONApril 10, 2015
A day at work is basically completing transactions. checking and stocking inventory, entering data, ordering products and dealing with clients. I learned customer service skills, people skills, being independent and working in a fast paced environment and delivering positive results. I learned to work better in a team and alongside my co workers. Hardest part of the job is keeping the customer happy which is also the most enjoyable part.
Pros
talking to diff customers all day, not a boring job.
Cons
love every bit of it.
Poor work place effected by huge cuts.
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJuly 21, 2015
Due to recent cutback the Albian Site has become a uneasy place to work with little or no job security. No body wants to share or help each other for fear of losing there job.
Pros
Flights provided
Cons
Worst lunch selection have ever seen.