Shell Employee Reviews

Geologist GIT
Project coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 October 2016
Provided me with good tools on how to approach complex situation and problem solving skills. overall it was a great experience working with shell
friendly helpful staff
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 September 2016
i'd typically start at about 3 and leave at 11. it was a nice laid back place to work. I worked at two different stares. I worked 5 days a week
nice place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC11 May 2016
I get very less chance to work here due to schedule problem but how much time i a have work was quite good. Managers were good and learn lot about Canada's culture and lots more of experience facing many problems.
was a good company before
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB24 October 2016
i enjoy working cash. i use to like my job. i learned a lot since i started working there. i learned how to serve food to customers.
good company
Laboratory Technologist (Former Employee) –  Peace River, AB25 May 2016
Great pay, poor advancement and development opportunities unless you are an engineer. This is a company that was built by engineers for engineers. Not secure due to fluctuating oil prices.
Nice Environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB23 May 2016
Shell Gas Station, Poplar Drive, Grande Prairie (Alberta) has excellent work environment. Management is great. Co-workers are supportive.
Lowest wages, high humiliation, no job security, no benefits
Sales assisstant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON, Canada2 September 2015
I've been working with Shell for two years. The salary never rises and you don't get any benefits. I have been given one uniform shirt and its shrinking on me each time I wash it. No care or concern is shown towards the employees. NO hand sanitizers installed. Retailers save pennies and compromise on every single thing that is related with safety. No scope to progress further no matter how hard you work. Being a female worker, I have rendered all kinds of work including shoveling in heavy snow. The hardest part of the job is to shovel and lot pick particularly when its extremely cold. They should hire the services who do this for their properties. at that amount of salary, its the most terrible job that we are told to do. No progress expected at this job but helps one keep financially viable. I also do the office work and I never mind cleaning toilets or shoveling or lot picking but at least they should give us a slight raise.
Pros
Cons
No Breaks at all. No Free Lunches, No benefits
Great People at Shell
Leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 February 2016
Shell Canada is part of the Global Royal Dutch Shell organization and has very close ties to the US. As a global company, there are many bureaucratic processes that create complexity in everyday work.

Houston is considered a hub and most Upstream work is directed through Houston.

Expectations are high for excellence.
Pros
Salary and benefits are very good. The people are excellent, well trained and talented.
Cons
With the recent economic environment, the overall vision and strategy of RDS is unclear
OK
Attendant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa4 September 2015
For a dead end job this was ok for a bit. The management was great and the co-workers were fun, but that's about it. Min wage, very little job security and little room for advancement, pushed unrealistic quotas without commission and no ways for us to even really boost sales. There was long hours alone and extremely short shifts as well.
Meet all sorts of different people
cashier/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON26 June 2016
A good place to start a job and you learn about all kinds of different people. it is fast paced demanding job. On a shift you work by yourself so you are the boss and you see co-workers when you change shifts and they are friendly people. The most enjoyable part of the job is you are doing service for people.
Pros
can take break whenever not busy
Cons
people come in while you are eating
Sucks
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON25 April 2016
After working at Shell for almost a year they still treated me as if I was a new worker, as if I knew nothing. They do not trust their employees.
Pros
nothing.
Cons
Long hours, no breaks, horrible owner, not enough staff ever
limited advancement and poor communication from management
Night Cashier (Current Employee) –  London, ON9 March 2016
This job has no future but is a good stepping stone to more productive and fulfilling career job. it is a line assemble job with no structure or encouragement to do more than what is least required to do job.
Pros
own boss
Cons
no comunication / advancement
Great Customers, Poor Management skills for the manager
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Liberty Street , Bowmanville, ON28 February 2015
Shell Canada on Liberty Street in Bowmanville, On was my first cashiering job. I enjoyed it. I never had time for my Fiance or friends but I enjoyed my job until my manager started to mix personal life with my work life. My manager had went and told my Fiance that I accidentally locked myself out on a night shift and that I was an idiot for locking myself out. She made me sit outside in the dark for an hour and a half. I would have loved to stay working with Shell because my boss was awesome, the pay was great and I was getting amazing hours. But the manager was the problem and still is. I would return to Shell if the boss hired a new manager, the manager abuses his/her position as a manager. The hardest part of my job was impatient customers or customers who liked to blame me for the gas prices. The enjoyable part was getting to meet so many people in my community.
Pros
Excellent Hours
Cons
Poor Management
Shell
Senior Petrophysicist (Technical Authority (TA2)) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 June 2016
great company to work for, good skills development and good people to work with. i would not think of leaving unless the current situation is dictating so.
Pros
big orgnization
Cons
great cluture
Great compensation and job security, exceptionally low morale, poor work-life balance, dictatorial high-handed management
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort Mcmurray, Alberta5 January 2012
-- Excellent compensation and benefits
-- High bureaucracy
-- Low morale due to zero accountability, and high-handed management style
Pros
great compensation, good benefits, subsidized lunch
Cons
terrible working conditions, no accountability or ownership, hence high job security (nobody ever gets fired), high-handed and bureaucratic management
Challenging work place, but satisfying and rewarding
Field Operations Planner (Current Employee) –  Shell Waterton Complex31 August 2014
Work begins early with reviewing previous day and night activities, participating in morning safety and information meeting. Organizing the days scheduled activities and adjusting according to unexpected and reactive activities. I have learned to work quickly and efficiently with others in a team environment to meet HSE and business goals. I work well with my coworkers and we communicate well with each other. Management places a large amount of trust and responsibility on certain individuals which creates confidence and maturity. The Hardest part of the job is performing a large number of tasks while keeping things organized and safe for everyone. Being busy and being able to help in a timely manner when called upon.
Pros
Excellent medical, retirement benefits
Cons
The expectation of doing more with less
very productive environment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK4 July 2016
I really enjoyed working at bank. It was my first job where i gained a lot of knowledge and confidence to make myself comfortable with others.
Confidence and Communication
Worked as a Cashier/Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 June 2016
I had always lacked communicating with other people but this job gave me an opportunity to work on my skills and make them better.
Dealing with customer and solving spontaneous problems gave me confidence for my bigger dreams.
Engineers looking after Engineers regardless of skill set, knowledge
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Scotford, Fort Saskatchewan8 May 2014
Used to be a great company to work for with great team work and morale. HSSE is out the window, now being managed by engineers who have no knowledge, experience or understanding of what it takes to deliver a culture of safety. Cost cutting everywhere but HSSE was a big hit. Combined Refinery, Chemicals and Upgrader HSSE which was needed but eliminated 7 full time positions to do it, retained people that there were no positions for because they're engineers, brought in contract workers to replace the full time positions. Department now run by mostly engineers, yes men/women, that have no clue how to manage teams. Basically turned a high performing team with a great culture and collaborative approach into a joke. No accountability for senior managers!
Pros
None anymore
Cons
Poor ethics, values, morals, work overload, low pay, mediocre benefits, unrealistic expectations
Productive and fun place to be
IT Support Engineer / System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Port Harcourt15 March 2016
Resolving of users IT Related issues. working during weekends. Colleagues were fun and interesting to be with. Long hours
Pros
Good working environment