Shell

Shell Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Its a job
Gas Station Attendant (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCSeptember 27, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: Customers irate for no reason 90% of the time
It was a lot better then working at fast food. No room for advancement, you still have to deal with irate customers. But it wasn't really all that bad. I worked with some nice people, my regular customers were all nice people, my boss was a good hard working man and wife, both were very accepting when I made the decision to move and couldn't complete my last 5 days of work.
Good place to have a part time job
Sales Associate and Site Safety Leader (Current Employee), Abbotsford, BCMarch 4, 2015
Pros: meet new people everyday and learn new safety procedures
Cons: less pay and no benefits
Every day I am able to meet many different people from different backgrounds. Every day I also learn about different safety scenarios and many different safety precautions we need to take to ensure no accident happens on site.
The hardest part of my job is to be able to please all the customers who come in tot the gas station and need assistance with pumping their gas or make payment.
Shell is over-rated
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee), Fort Saskatchewan, ABNovember 13, 2014
Pros: big name on resume when you leave
Cons: hard place to work.
I found Shell to be the most difficult of all Oil & Gas companies to work for.

Over regulated and has a cut throat pre-madonna culture with tons of inflated egos. Employee life spans in the office environment were short and the management was less then stellar.

Overall I would sooner work for someone else. They pay average too.
High Paced, exciting environment.
Document Controller (Current Employee), Calgary, AlbertaOctober 29, 2014
Pros: 21 flex days, and 5 weeks vacation
Cons: high demands
A typical day at work entails reviewing my email first thing. Establishing who needs what then prioritizing my day. I deal with Business critical tasks first for executives and mangement then assist co-workers with what ever needs to be done. The hardest part of the job is time management and the most enjoyable part is the diversity and challenges that come with it.
Employees have alot of input into the business overall production and profability.
Maintenance Planner (Former Employee), Fort SaskatchewanJune 15, 2013
Pros: freedom of speech and personal development
Cons: night shifts for me
High Performance Work System. 18 months on Shift working in at least 4 areas of the plant. 6 months on Day Support working in administration eg. Buyer, Personnel, Process, Planner/Scheduler.
All Employees were involved in Buget Processes, Cost Effectiveness Ideas, New Hire evaluation, training and development. ISO 9000 Auditing and Work Station / Process development.
Shell Canada is an upper echelon company to work for with great pay to contractors.
SFE Expeditor/Quality Assurance (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 13, 2015
Pros: Shell Canada upper echelon of oil and gas companies to work for
Cons: Shell executives, management and leadership staff preserve their own exorbitant incomes at all costs, work force counts for little
Inadequate management in place - I feel that working for Shell was overall a good experience, but the lack of proper leadership was a contributing factor to the failure of the Carmen Creek Project experience to date.
Enjoyable
Customer Services Team Leader (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCMay 4, 2014
Pros: easy going culture
Cons: no breaks
typically dealing with customers who either wanted goods or gas. I learned alot about counting inventory, accounting, and dealing with unsatisfied customers. management treated employees pretty fairly. never had co-workers, mostly worked by my self. hardest part was during rush hour, dealing with an excessive amount of customers. Most enjoyable part was being able to help out a customer.
It's been a terrific run
ACZ Truck Driver (Former Employee), Burlington, ONFebruary 15, 2015
Sad to part ways with work colleagues and the business in general due to plant closure effective March 31, 2015. Overall it offered a great work balance, being home every weekend although there were rare occasions of overtime and weekend work. I learned a great deal about customer service being the face of Shell Canada delivering oil largely to auto shops and car dealerships.
Co-workers were knowledgable and helpful
Warehouse Technician (Former Employee), Corunna, ONFebruary 15, 2015
Usual days consisted of unloading trucks, shipping and receiving, handing out material to maintenance and contractors.
I have learned that safety is a frame of mind and should be on your mind with every task.
Management and coworkers were knowledgeable and helpful.
The most difficult part of the job was trying to come up with cost savings ideas.
The most enjoyable part of the job was getting what the customer needed asap.
Fun workplace with good lunch rooms and all available vendor machines ,stoves etc.
Heavy Equipment technician (Former Employee), Albian sands fort mcmurrayJuly 24, 2015
Pros: everything is in place
Cons: long hours
This is one of the best company`s too work for with good wages and benefits for individuals.The workplace is very relaxed but very safety concerned.Decent amount of politics on the floor but expected.excellent upper class management [workshop manager] otherwise not everyone has the same opinion and experience of this great company
Productive fun place to work. Played soccer every monday afternoon.
International Shipper/DG Specialist (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJune 25, 2013
-Shipping and receiving of Dangerous Good.

-How to Multi-task in a busy and challenging situations.
-Very approachable managers and supervisors
-Very friendly co-warkers and great team players
-Sorting through the dangerous goods to determine method of shipment(cargo or passenger aircraft).
-Working with experts in the Gas and Oil Industry.
Enjoyed every bit of work during the three years perid of project life
Lead Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 8, 2013
Pros: meeting the project schedules
Cons: extended days of work.
Review of various works, visit at vendors' shops in Canada, US and Europe, attend various meetings and prepare for various presentations.

I was lucky to have the full co-operation of all my engineers and project director.

I was rated very high in the project with high appreciation letters.
Bonne Journee-tabernaque
JV Driver-Construction Millwright (Former Employee), ABJanuary 10, 2013
Pros: great bunch of guys from all over canada
Cons: discriminating millwright superintendent
The millwright superintendent was a jerk-discriminator, trying to keep all the work for east coasters. West coasters were deamed to be stealing east coaster's work. He hated us. He favoured New Brunswicker and the NFLDers. The quebecers, he hated also. They are good workers and a great bunch of guys. The quebecers and west coasters were instrumental in bringing in the job for the client.
my typical day at work
Customer Service Representative (Full / Part Time) (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONApril 23, 2012
my typical day at work is operating cash register and help the customer in chosing the oil products we carry in our store. at the end of my shift i have to do end of day closing and than i have to do bank reconcilation, lottery reconcilation, complete the paperwork for that day. the one thing i really enjoy on my job is to interact with new people on daily basis.
Albian is the worst place to work in the Oil Sands
Safety Advisor (Current Employee), Albian Sands, Ft. McMurray AlbertaNovember 2, 2013
Pros: ok pay, albian camp not bad
Cons: no safety culture
I've worked on pretty much every oil sands site in Alberta and Albian is the worst. There is no safety culture and the systems they do have in place, are contradictory, aren't enforced and ignored. Production and deadlines are more important than safety. They have no New-to-Site worker plan, no BBS system, and no effective leadership in safety from upper management.

December 12, 2013

Albian used to be a great place until the current management and all his good ol' boys from Texas took over. They're intentionally making it a terrible place to work if you're from out of town or a contractor in the hopes you quit and they can replace you with a cheaper local. As a result they're losing good people with years of experience and replacing them with green hands that know nothing. There will be a major accident there in the very near future. Just wait.

Contract work
Data Entry Clerk (Contract) (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 27, 2015
Pros: very welcoming
Cons: project got terminated
Contract data entry as I've learned different ways of the process on oil and gas industry.
I've enjoyed the people I've worked with; the team was very welcoming.
Only worked there on a short period of time as the project got cancelled and some of us got let go.
It was a very good opportunity to gain more skills in the oil and gas industry and also to have met a great team.
good company
Class "AZ" Driver (Current Employee), Burlington, ONDecember 29, 2014
Pros: good company
Cons: closing distribution centre
i have grown with this company for 24 years. a typical day would see me up at 2 am, to work by 4, circle checks done, truck loaded and on the road making deliveries. the hardest part of the job has been watching the company slowly shutting down this department.
OK
Attendant (Former Employee), OshawaSeptember 4, 2015
For a dead end job this was ok for a bit. The management was great and the co-workers were fun, but that's about it. Min wage, very little job security and little room for advancement, pushed unrealistic quotas without commission and no ways for us to even really boost sales. There was long hours alone and extremely short shifts as well.
Shell-Albian Sands
Operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABApril 24, 2013
Very busy and fastpased
What I learned: learned the importance of safety on the work site.

Management: Good group to work with and very organized.
Co-workers: learned to problem solve with others and to become a teamplayer.
The hardest part of the job: keeping on top of things and keeping things in order!
The most enjoyable part of the job: Learning all the diferent skills that this company had to offer..
slow placed not very demanding
Cashier/Sales Clerk (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBDecember 13, 2012
Pros: free coffee
Cons: very hard to communicate with manager
-usually help customers and keep things clean
-how to work a cash register
-the employer/manager brought his personal problem to work and was not easy to communicate with
-very friendly helpful and really easy to work with them
-dealing with people stealing for the store
-meeting new people getting experience in how to operate a cash register and learning how to work in sales
Headquarters