Shell Employee Reviews in Canada

Fun place to work
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 29, 2016
Usually a fun place to work with great customers and great co workers. I learnt the value of team work. Can be stressful but most days were pretty good.
Nice Environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABMay 23, 2016
Shell Gas Station, Poplar Drive, Grande Prairie (Alberta) has excellent work environment. Management is great. Co-workers are supportive.
Global Company
Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Middle EastDecember 6, 2015
Great assignments and projects.

Supportive management. Enjoyed trainings and courses.

Job rotation and great learning!
Pros
Lots....
Cons
none...
hard on the mind
Maintenance trade (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJune 6, 2015
Absolutely no accountability for management. Constantly watching money being thrown away and mismanaged. Safety routes don't make sense and are to such an extreme that they have forgotten the whole point to begin with. All about the amount of check marks in the boxes whether it makes sense or not. If you can turn your brain off its the right place for you. Money is really good if you can handle being surrounded by idiots and bombarded by idiocy.
Pros
money
Cons
long long hours 415am to 730pm
Completions Engineer
Field Completions Engineer/On-Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Foothills, ABJanuary 26, 2016
Shell was an excellent company to work for. I benefited from excellent training, both formal and through mentor-ship.
World class global company to work for.
HSSE Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, CanadaAugust 23, 2015
World class global company to work for. Great work life balance and learning.Global career opportunities and growth.
Wonderful Company
Site Information Manager Document Control (Former Employee) –  Albian Sands/ CalgaryJanuary 8, 2016
My Time at Shell Canada was a great Experience. The Work Ethic was amazing and everyone was respectful of one another. I would recommend Shell to anyone that wants to apply there.
Productive And Fast Learner
Cashier and Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 2, 2016
I like to work in a team rather than working alone. I like sales the most and i always learn new techniques to promote a product.
Good place to know about process engineering
Technology Improvement Intern (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 2, 2016
Work at site with several classmates
Learned about the process of pipeline for both the oil and gas.
Learned how to use CAD
Engineers looking after Engineers regardless of skill set, knowledge
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Scotford, Fort SaskatchewanMay 8, 2014
Used to be a great company to work for with great team work and morale. HSSE is out the window, now being managed by engineers who have no knowledge, experience or understanding of what it takes to deliver a culture of safety. Cost cutting everywhere but HSSE was a big hit. Combined Refinery, Chemicals and Upgrader HSSE which was needed but eliminated 7 full time positions to do it, retained people that there were no positions for because they're engineers, brought in contract workers to replace the full time positions. Department now run by mostly engineers, yes men/women, that have no clue how to manage teams. Basically turned a high performing team with a great culture and collaborative approach into a joke. No accountability for senior managers!
Pros
none anymore
Cons
poor ethics, values, morals, work overload, low pay, mediocre benefits, unrealistic expectations
Automotive technician
auto tech (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABAugust 7, 2015
I worked 12 hour shifts.7 on 7 off .Week of days week of nights .I stayed in camp ,Flew home to Grande Prairie on days off, I repaired company equipment .I took courses to enhance my knowledge on other mining equipment .Highly competent in Diag and repairs of automobiles .Very strong people skills .I am an excellent team player .Management team were supportive and helpful .I enjoyed working with my team .Great bunch of guys .Job was not difficult for the most part. I enjoyed working and learning along side my team.
Good Company
Survey Technologist (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurrayFebruary 17, 2015
Very good company to work for great work/life balance. Good compensation package friendly co-workers. Very good work schedule to balance work and family time.
Fast paced retail environment
Store Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCOctober 26, 2015
Typical work day at shell revolves around making sure guests receive exceptional customer service while the team exceeds the sale and promotions targets.
great experience
Manager (Former Employee) –  Ridgeway, ONAugust 14, 2015
This was my first job being promoted from a gas attendant to supervisor all the way to being a manager.
My coworkers were all amazing I never had any issues with them at all.
Typical day at work when I wasn't at school would start at 6am to 9pm. Coming in counting the cash, making sure all the pumps were on and working, car wash was working smoothly, employees had checked in on time for work.
The hardest part of the job is that it was full serve so winters were very cold and bitter but we make it through them.
The best part of my job was being given such s great opportunity for working as a manager and meeting some amazing and understanding customers who always made my job better without making a hassle.
shell
foreman on tools and A QC (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, ABDecember 20, 2015
I worked directly with shell's qa qc it gave me the advantage of knowing exactly what shell would except therefore only having to do the job once therefore he keeps me on schedule of whats on task
Poor Compensation, no accountability
Engineer (Current Employee) –  ScotfordJuly 17, 2012
Management is trained from within and are typically poor performers technically therefore they are moved into supervisory roles as there is no other placement for them. No accountability for the work therefore poor performers and top performers are ranked equally. Terrible morale within the organization. Compensation used to be great but now Shell is low end and HR guidelines are controlled by the Dutch. As a young engineer Shell is a good starting point to gain experience. If you are a senior engineer, don't waste your time, you will be dissapointed.
Pros
every 2nd friday off
Cons
all of the above
Great Customers, Poor Management skills for the manager
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Liberty Street , Bowmanville, ONFebruary 28, 2015
Shell Canada on Liberty Street in Bowmanville, On was my first cashiering job. I enjoyed it. I never had time for my Fiance or friends but I enjoyed my job until my manager started to mix personal life with my work life. My manager had went and told my Fiance that I accidentally locked myself out on a night shift and that I was an idiot for locking myself out. She made me sit outside in the dark for an hour and a half. I would have loved to stay working with Shell because my boss was awesome, the pay was great and I was getting amazing hours. But the manager was the problem and still is. I would return to Shell if the boss hired a new manager, the manager abuses his/her position as a manager. The hardest part of my job was impatient customers or customers who liked to blame me for the gas prices. The enjoyable part was getting to meet so many people in my community.
Pros
excellent hours
Cons
poor management
large environmental job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 8, 2015
It is really easy and fun job, specially when it comes to an customer service. The advantage is you get to see all kind of people everyday and by talking to them gaining experience and a good relationship through them.
Pros
No lunch unless you bring your own
Cons
Maximum 8 hours shift
Very good company
project manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 3, 2015
PMP focus. Great people to work with. Will like to come back when there is a chance. Very good working enviornment with lots of professional who will treat you with respect.
great starter place to learn the ropes of work place.
Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCNovember 6, 2015
Place to work for must be team oriented as well as organized to result in a successful team. seasonal work and has low season to save up for but when busy it has its own rewards. I liked the variety of trades involvements to learn from.