Shell Employee Reviews

Could be better
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 December 2016
Work by yourself, have a RFB booklet you are supposed to do during the shifts, yet alot of employees failed to do so. Training needs to expand beyond the counter so that the store remains clean and product on shelves are rotated. You couldnt call in sick because they had no one to be back up. Had no concern for employee safety when didnt feel safe. No Raises given at all even if theyre employed for more then 3 or 4 years, There is no advancement, if offered to be trained in something higher up it has no increase in your wage and your basically doing it so they have less work to do
Pros
Work by self
Cons
no appreciation, benifeits, not steady hours
Great place to work, not very secure
Safety Technician (Former Employee) –  Ft St John BC20 February 2017
Typical day , travelling to site, coach mentor, review JSA's collect data for coordinator, solve any safety related issues that arise. Pleasnat group of coworkers. Company committed to safety. they practise what they preach.
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits
Cons
no job security due to down turn
Excellent opportunity for development
Financial Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 December 2016
-Excellent managers and leadership
-Great learning opportunities
-Competitive culture
-Intern projects that develop students
-Competitive salary and benefits
Pros
Awesome benefits and random free food
Cons
HR is very slow to respond, always changing in structure
Gas Station Attendant
Gas Station Attendant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 October 2016
Shell gas station was a great place to work to pay the bills. I enjoyed working with the staff and found each day very busy with gaining experience in convenience store sales and selling gas a lottery.

Each day was a little different with marketing and stocking the level of merchandise through the performance of promotions while following the lottery and tobacco laws. It was great experience for cash handling and preparing end of shift reports and cash drops for the next shift to begin.

The management was excellent and was always sure to provide you with side duties to keep you busy. The manager was great at training and directed most of the gas deliveries as a senior position.

The best part of the job was visiting with the customers and getting to know the staff in a fast paced environment.
Pros
Very busy gas station
Cons
Long hours of standing
Tailings planning Intern
Tailings Planning Division Intern (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 October 2016
Great impact on knowledge and exposure and supportive team to help through deadlines.
Always a good place to start your career from.
Good for a inclusion in all the fields connected.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
I enjoyed my job at shell,my boss was knowledgeable and veryhelpful. It was a friendly atmosphere.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB30 January 2017
Friendly staff,clean working station, wages were very competative,We had benefits,Staff all pulled together to get the duties done in a timely and accurate manner.It was pleasant to work there
Administration
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, alberta24 November 2016
Very good place to work. Benefits and salary very competitive. Also included are flex days and a very good benefits package. I would recommend this company to others.
all team are fun to work with.
service attendant (Former Employee) –  airdrie canada5 January 2017
i had fun to work with them,to the superior up to the crews,they all cooperative and kind and there no problem to get a work schedule that fits on you and all the benifits are you surely will get it
Good pay and opportunities for employees
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB7 March 2016
Good company to work for. As a contractor the possibilities are pretty limited so being an employee is a better option.

The implementation of new tech and modernizing processes is slow and clunky and often not supported by the management side because they do not fully understand the benefits.

That can be very frustrating to someone who is always pushing for forward thinking, more efficient and automated ways to do things but overall completely understandable due to the size of the organization and their continuous need to standardize things.

Solving the different problems I encountered in my time there was very rewarding and the team environment and cooperation was both helpful and very professional.
Pros
High Pay, challenging problems to fix
Cons
Tiring schedules for site positions, aggressive cost reductions
Working Shell
Control &Automation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary16 June 2016
The flexing working style is good and benefit both employ and the company.

Salary and benefit is a little bit lower than the industrial.

No job security, training and learning all depend on the manager you working for.

The company business long term stractage is not good.
Shell is an Excellent Company to work with,
Integrated / Operations/ Turnaround Planning Lead (Current Employee) –  Neitherland14 February 2017
Shell is an Excellent Company to work with, however job security is not guaranteed.
Work/ life balance, Safety is given top priority, Excellent Salaries, stress less work,
Job security is not guaranteed. Once assignment/ contract completed, there's very less chance for its extension
Cons
wonderful company to work for
MARINE ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  london, uk14 July 2016
wonderful company to work for.
i never had any serious problems.
Awesome benefits.
Awesome family welfare policy.
good salary structure
good and productive experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON5 April 2016
its a good experience to working at the shell. I learned a lot of new things from that job. like ; how to deal with customers , how to handle difficult or emergency situation. I learned team work .. how to work in a team. the best part of the job is meet new customers and made good relations with them. as every coin have two side this job also have some hardest part . but its normal .. my team members and passion made difficult time easy for me.
Pros
meet with new people daily
Cons
low salary
Great Company to work for.
HSSE Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC7 November 2016
I have been working either directly or indirectly for Shell for 20 years and what I like about Shell is they have been a company that really works with the communities that are in the area. I have personally been involved in some of this and it is good to see a company put back into the communities and not just take.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Such a large company you need to be patient and follow the process
Excellent people to work with, environmentally responsible
Instrumentation Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB14 September 2016
A very socially/environmentally responsible company that tries to maintain a safe working environment and a good work life balance. The employees are the best asset that they have. It was an easy place to go in to work every day.
Pros
work schedule
Cons
current path of management
Good people and challenging professional opportunities
Petrophysical Advisor (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS16 February 2017
The company has a culture of respect, diversity, and a focus on safety. In my personal opinion, the company is better at production than exploration. There is a general sense of constant reorganization . This tends to be a source of stress within the professional staff. On balance, it is a good work environment.
Very production orientated
Senior Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Shearwater3 February 2017
Shell are a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies employing an average 93,000 people across the world.

Shell have operated in the UK since 1897.
Pros
Good companyn to work for if you are carear orientated.
Cons
Work life balance very tipped to one side.
Fun and supportive management made work feel like home
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 January 2017
I worked my way up by staying employed at shell for 6 years. I gained great customer service and cash handling experience. I learned how to sell items and how to make small talk with customers. I am very confident in my customer service abilities due to my experiences with shell. Day to day life at shell was fun due to my open minded and caring manager. The whole shell team was super friendly and helpful. I never once felt like I hated my job and I would definitely recommend university students to take up a job at a gas station. They were very understanding about school priorities and exams. The hardest part of the job was definitely delivery day. Deliveries were always done during the day so we were required to juggle customers and put away inventory properly. The most enjoyable part of the job was making connections with the customers and seeing an increase in the number of customers that made our gas station a part of their daily coffee routine.
Pros
Free slurpees on really long hot summer days
Cons
Prolonged periods of standing
Great People at Shell
Leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 February 2016
Shell Canada is part of the Global Royal Dutch Shell organization and has very close ties to the US. As a global company, there are many bureaucratic processes that create complexity in everyday work.

Houston is considered a hub and most Upstream work is directed through Houston.

Expectations are high for excellence.
Pros
Salary and benefits are very good. The people are excellent, well trained and talented.
Cons
With the recent economic environment, the overall vision and strategy of RDS is unclear
fun work place because of sociable clients
Gas station Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC14 May 2016
a typical day at Shell would be getting to work 15 minutes earlier than your normal shift. Make sure everything is in order, deal with clients in a professional way and close the shift properly.

I learned how to multi task because it is basically what you are doing most of the time. For example, interacting with clients, changing the gas price, check outside, etc.

The management is easy to get in touch with and usually cooperative.

My co-workers are great, they help me if I need any replacement.

The hardest part of the job would be placing inventory because it can take time and be heavy.

The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with clients because they have a lot to say since they are my usual clients.
Pros
free coffee, flexible hours, friendly coworkers
Cons
long hours, a lot of multi tasking, work outside and inside