Shell Employee Reviews in Canada

Good pay and opportunities for employees
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMarch 7, 2016
Good company to work for. As a contractor the possibilities are pretty limited so being an employee is a better option.

The implementation of new tech and modernizing processes is slow and clunky and often not supported by the management side because they do not fully understand the benefits.

That can be very frustrating to someone who is always pushing for forward thinking, more efficient and automated ways to do things but overall completely understandable due to the size of the organization and their continuous need to standardize things.

Solving the different problems I encountered in my time there was very rewarding and the team environment and cooperation was both helpful and very professional.
Pros
High Pay, challenging problems to fix
Cons
Tiring schedules for site positions, aggressive cost reductions
good and productive experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONApril 5, 2016
its a good experience to working at the shell. I learned a lot of new things from that job. like ; how to deal with customers , how to handle difficult or emergency situation. I learned team work .. how to work in a team. the best part of the job is meet new customers and made good relations with them. as every coin have two side this job also have some hardest part . but its normal .. my team members and passion made difficult time easy for me.
Pros
meet with new people daily
Cons
low salary
productive and fun
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Balzac, ABFebruary 24, 2016
its a fun place to work ,management is good ,but the only thing is this that the salary is very low, the most enjoyable part of the job is that you come across different kind of customers all day
Coworkers are all good
Cons
longhours
A great multinational company.
Production Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB, CanadaOctober 15, 2015
Good for opportunities to learn and advance a profession.
Big investment projects underway that benefit the company and society at large.
Operates with a world class safety culture.
Pros
Good opportunity to advance career, with descent pay and benefits.
Cons
Culture based on grading system, that rewards more to visible individuals than performance.
Productive Fun workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSJune 14, 2016
On a typical day at work, I start off with counting my cigarettes and my lotto counts then get in my routine on what needs to be done around the store stocking, merchandising, mopping tidying the store.

Everyday i'm always learning new things and making it easier for me to do my work and making it better for me in the long run. My management is great very outgoing person very easy to get along with no hassle.

I love the co-workers i work with which the only time we see them is when were doing shift change which is only 10-15 minutes. Overall the staff that's there is great people. working alone would be maybe the hardest sometimes i would say because there is sometimes in an 8 hour shift you cant get much stuff that you would like to get done but you try your best at what you can do.

Overall I Come into my job knowning on what i'm going to get into which is great staff, great management and always having fun in the workplace.
Great People at Shell
Leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 23, 2016
Shell Canada is part of the Global Royal Dutch Shell organization and has very close ties to the US. As a global company, there are many bureaucratic processes that create complexity in everyday work.

Houston is considered a hub and most Upstream work is directed through Houston.

Expectations are high for excellence.
Pros
Salary and benefits are very good. The people are excellent, well trained and talented.
Cons
With the recent economic environment, the overall vision and strategy of RDS is unclear
fun work place because of sociable clients
Gas station Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCMay 14, 2016
a typical day at Shell would be getting to work 15 minutes earlier than your normal shift. Make sure everything is in order, deal with clients in a professional way and close the shift properly.

I learned how to multi task because it is basically what you are doing most of the time. For example, interacting with clients, changing the gas price, check outside, etc.

The management is easy to get in touch with and usually cooperative.

My co-workers are great, they help me if I need any replacement.

The hardest part of the job would be placing inventory because it can take time and be heavy.

The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with clients because they have a lot to say since they are my usual clients.
Pros
free coffee, flexible hours, friendly coworkers
Cons
long hours, a lot of multi tasking, work outside and inside
Fun workplace with good lunch rooms and all available vendor machines ,stoves etc.
Heavy Equipment technician (Former Employee) –  Albian sands fort mcmurrayJuly 24, 2015
This is one of the best company`s too work for with good wages and benefits for individuals.The workplace is very relaxed but very safety concerned.Decent amount of politics on the floor but expected.excellent upper class management [workshop manager] otherwise not everyone has the same opinion and experience of this great company
Pros
everything is in place
Cons
limited advancement and poor communication from management
Night Cashier (Current Employee) –  London, ONMarch 9, 2016
This job has no future but is a good stepping stone to more productive and fulfilling career job. it is a line assemble job with no structure or encouragement to do more than what is least required to do job.
Pros
own boss
Cons
no comunication / advancement
Lowest wages, high humiliation, no job security, no benefits
Sales assisstant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON, CanadaSeptember 2, 2015
I've been working with Shell for two years. The salary never rises and you don't get any benefits. I have been given one uniform shirt and its shrinking on me each time I wash it. No care or concern is shown towards the employees. NO hand sanitizers installed. Retailers save pennies and compromise on every single thing that is related with safety. No scope to progress further no matter how hard you work. Being a female worker, I have rendered all kinds of work including shoveling in heavy snow. The hardest part of the job is to shovel and lot pick particularly when its extremely cold. They should hire the services who do this for their properties. at that amount of salary, its the most terrible job that we are told to do. No progress expected at this job but helps one keep financially viable. I also do the office work and I never mind cleaning toilets or shoveling or lot picking but at least they should give us a slight raise.
Pros
Cons
No Breaks at all. No Free Lunches, No benefits
OK
Attendant (Former Employee) –  OshawaSeptember 4, 2015
For a dead end job this was ok for a bit. The management was great and the co-workers were fun, but that's about it. Min wage, very little job security and little room for advancement, pushed unrealistic quotas without commission and no ways for us to even really boost sales. There was long hours alone and extremely short shifts as well.
Productive and fun place to be
IT Support Engineer / System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Port HarcourtMarch 15, 2016
Resolving of users IT Related issues. working during weekends. Colleagues were fun and interesting to be with. Long hours
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
Meet all sorts of different people
cashier/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONJune 26, 2016
A good place to start a job and you learn about all kinds of different people. it is fast paced demanding job. On a shift you work by yourself so you are the boss and you see co-workers when you change shifts and they are friendly people. The most enjoyable part of the job is you are doing service for people.
Pros
can take break whenever not busy
Cons
people come in while you are eating
Excellent Company
Business Development Lead (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 13, 2016
My experience working for Shell has been great. As a global energy company Shell continually strives to lead in the field of sustainable development, for a better energy future. The work culture and respect is absolutely fantastic.
If you want to drive change and be part of the solution, Shell welcomes you with open arms and helps you create that space to defy conventional means of thinking and challenging norms of both the industry and the work place.
good crew
Gas Attendant (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, ABFebruary 29, 2016
loved the job. constantly busy always moving had a lot to do in a shift. management was decent. things were always changing with new product sales and advertisements
A global best managed company
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 10, 2016
A global best managed company.
Valued employees work life balance.
Shell respect their core values of honesty, integrity and respect for people. The Shell General Business Principles, Code of Conduct, and Code of Ethics help everyone at Shell to act in line with these values and comply with all relevant legislation and regulations.
Pros
Courses to upgrade our talent
Ample opportunity to learn and grow very team orientated
IM/BA Document/Data Information Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 26, 2016
Beginning each day with emails and it started from there. I learned something new almost everyday. Co-workers were great. I really enjoy my job but unfortunately the price of oil dictated the ending of my job on June 30 along with so many others. My skills enable me to be versatile.
Pros
Very people, safety and environmental aware.
Exposure to work environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Cobourg, ONAugust 1, 2016
This job gave me exposure to work environment.Moreover i got equipped with good communication skills with job. The management was really good. The hardest part of the job was long hours which indeed helped me with my ability to work more and on weekends also
Horribly managed
Survey Technician (Former Employee) –  AlbianJune 22, 2016
Poor management. No dedication to employees or credit for hard work and commitment to the company. Many layoffs to save money but only in particular departments. Treated students poorly. Very prejudice. Not understanding of the students mistakes.
Pros
Decent amount of days off
Cons
Camp life
Good place. Well organised.
Sr. Process Engineer, Projects & Technology (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 14, 2016
Great place to work. Many friendly and nice people to interact with. Learned a great deal about workplace safety. A great opportunity to meet other people from various places around the world.
Pros
Good work culture.
Cons
IT leaves much to be desired.