Shell Employee Reviews

Gas Station Attendant
Gas Station Attendant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 October 2016
Shell gas station was a great place to work to pay the bills. I enjoyed working with the staff and found each day very busy with gaining experience in convenience store sales and selling gas a lottery.

Each day was a little different with marketing and stocking the level of merchandise through the performance of promotions while following the lottery and tobacco laws. It was great experience for cash handling and preparing end of shift reports and cash drops for the next shift to begin.

The management was excellent and was always sure to provide you with side duties to keep you busy. The manager was great at training and directed most of the gas deliveries as a senior position.

The best part of the job was visiting with the customers and getting to know the staff in a fast paced environment.
Pros
Very busy gas station
Cons
Long hours of standing
Tailings planning Intern
Tailings Planning Division Intern (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 October 2016
Great impact on knowledge and exposure and supportive team to help through deadlines.
Always a good place to start your career from.
Good for a inclusion in all the fields connected.
Pros
Great benefits
Administration
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, alberta24 November 2016
Very good place to work. Benefits and salary very competitive. Also included are flex days and a very good benefits package. I would recommend this company to others.
Good pay and opportunities for employees
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB7 March 2016
Good company to work for. As a contractor the possibilities are pretty limited so being an employee is a better option.

The implementation of new tech and modernizing processes is slow and clunky and often not supported by the management side because they do not fully understand the benefits.

That can be very frustrating to someone who is always pushing for forward thinking, more efficient and automated ways to do things but overall completely understandable due to the size of the organization and their continuous need to standardize things.

Solving the different problems I encountered in my time there was very rewarding and the team environment and cooperation was both helpful and very professional.
Pros
High Pay, challenging problems to fix
Cons
Tiring schedules for site positions, aggressive cost reductions
Working Shell
Control &Automation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary16 June 2016
The flexing working style is good and benefit both employ and the company.

Salary and benefit is a little bit lower than the industrial.

No job security, training and learning all depend on the manager you working for.

The company business long term stractage is not good.
good and productive experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON5 April 2016
its a good experience to working at the shell. I learned a lot of new things from that job. like ; how to deal with customers , how to handle difficult or emergency situation. I learned team work .. how to work in a team. the best part of the job is meet new customers and made good relations with them. as every coin have two side this job also have some hardest part . but its normal .. my team members and passion made difficult time easy for me.
Pros
meet with new people daily
Cons
low salary
wonderful company to work for
MARINE ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  london, uk14 July 2016
wonderful company to work for.
i never had any serious problems.
Awesome benefits.
Awesome family welfare policy.
good salary structure
Great People at Shell
Leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 February 2016
Shell Canada is part of the Global Royal Dutch Shell organization and has very close ties to the US. As a global company, there are many bureaucratic processes that create complexity in everyday work.

Houston is considered a hub and most Upstream work is directed through Houston.

Expectations are high for excellence.
Pros
Salary and benefits are very good. The people are excellent, well trained and talented.
Cons
With the recent economic environment, the overall vision and strategy of RDS is unclear
fun work place because of sociable clients
Gas station Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC14 May 2016
a typical day at Shell would be getting to work 15 minutes earlier than your normal shift. Make sure everything is in order, deal with clients in a professional way and close the shift properly.

I learned how to multi task because it is basically what you are doing most of the time. For example, interacting with clients, changing the gas price, check outside, etc.

The management is easy to get in touch with and usually cooperative.

My co-workers are great, they help me if I need any replacement.

The hardest part of the job would be placing inventory because it can take time and be heavy.

The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with clients because they have a lot to say since they are my usual clients.
Pros
free coffee, flexible hours, friendly coworkers
Cons
long hours, a lot of multi tasking, work outside and inside
Excellent people to work with, environmentally responsible
Instrumentation Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB14 September 2016
A very socially/environmentally responsible company that tries to maintain a safe working environment and a good work life balance. The employees are the best asset that they have. It was an easy place to go in to work every day.
Pros
work schedule
Cons
current path of management
Great Company to work for.
HSSE Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC7 November 2016
I have been working either directly or indirectly for Shell for 20 years and what I like about Shell is they have been a company that really works with the communities that are in the area. I have personally been involved in some of this and it is good to see a company put back into the communities and not just take.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Such a large company you need to be patient and follow the process
productive and fun
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Balzac, AB24 February 2016
its a fun place to work ,management is good ,but the only thing is this that the salary is very low, the most enjoyable part of the job is that you come across different kind of customers all day
Coworkers are all good
Cons
longhours
Exposure to work environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Cobourg, ON1 August 2016
This job gave me exposure to work environment.Moreover i got equipped with good communication skills with job. The management was really good. The hardest part of the job was long hours which indeed helped me with my ability to work more and on weekends also
Productive Fun workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS14 June 2016
On a typical day at work, I start off with counting my cigarettes and my lotto counts then get in my routine on what needs to be done around the store stocking, merchandising, mopping tidying the store.

Everyday i'm always learning new things and making it easier for me to do my work and making it better for me in the long run. My management is great very outgoing person very easy to get along with no hassle.

I love the co-workers i work with which the only time we see them is when were doing shift change which is only 10-15 minutes. Overall the staff that's there is great people. working alone would be maybe the hardest sometimes i would say because there is sometimes in an 8 hour shift you cant get much stuff that you would like to get done but you try your best at what you can do.

Overall I Come into my job knowning on what i'm going to get into which is great staff, great management and always having fun in the workplace.
Excellent employer
Supply Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 September 2016
A typical day was busy but we were given a lot of flexibility to do our jobs. We also had a lot of support to do our jobs well should we feel we needed help. There was also a very good career management feedback and support.
Productive and fun workplace
ADMIN ASSISNTANT/JUNIOR COMMERCIAL ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 August 2016
Great company overall; downside is the fact that the oil and gas prices are not in its favour at the moment. Employees are scared and worries for their jobs and there's nothing really the company can do for it doesn't control the unstable market.
Pros
Career Development
Cons
Job Insecurity
believe in myself.
Supervisor/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Thompson, MB29 September 2016
I have learn administration .I have learn read the faces and try to understand the people and perform my duties according to the demands .My always priorities to make my own customers and make them comfortable that they can come in my store with ease and create a good environment . When ever i just give training to a new employee i ask them be frank to the customers that they feel ease and enjoy your customer serves because it also help you a lot while dealing with them.
Lowest wages, high humiliation, no job security, no benefits
Sales assisstant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON, Canada2 September 2015
I've been working with Shell for two years. The salary never rises and you don't get any benefits. I have been given one uniform shirt and its shrinking on me each time I wash it. No care or concern is shown towards the employees. NO hand sanitizers installed. Retailers save pennies and compromise on every single thing that is related with safety. No scope to progress further no matter how hard you work. Being a female worker, I have rendered all kinds of work including shoveling in heavy snow. The hardest part of the job is to shovel and lot pick particularly when its extremely cold. They should hire the services who do this for their properties. at that amount of salary, its the most terrible job that we are told to do. No progress expected at this job but helps one keep financially viable. I also do the office work and I never mind cleaning toilets or shoveling or lot picking but at least they should give us a slight raise.
Pros
Cons
No Breaks at all. No Free Lunches, No benefits
A day at Woodland Park Shell
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Castlegar, BC12 November 2016
A typical day starts with emptying garbage bins, making coffee for the customers and making sure supplies at the pump are sufficiently stocked. Through out the day handling money transactions, helping customers and stocking shelves is the better part of the duties. At the end of the day inventory has to be made, the store floor must be mopped, the bathroom cleaned and the pumps wiped down to be ready for the next day.
It's a pretty fun environment at my work place. We all get along and try out best to help each other as best we can, which I think is super important
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Westlock, AB24 October 2016
I have a lot of fun working at shell. It's super friendly and pretty well paced. People love the gas and service that we provide to them and they always come back. I would recommend this job to anyone who wants to start practicing in the retail world.
Pros
You get lots of hours
Cons
It gets boring sometimes