Shell

1.1K reviews

Shell Employee Reviews

Looking for a career that has more room for advancement, and better pay.
Sales Associate / Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Montomery Shell #1 highway- Transcanada ShellMarch 14, 2014
A typical day at work would be to arrive 15 minutes early and open the store, and start on daily routine such as making several pots of coffee throughout the day, counting till, unlocking smoke cabinets, and outside windshield washer cabinets, filling up washer fluids outside for customer use, and for customers to buy, put squigees in buckets, refill coffee cups, lids, napkins, stocking shelves, smokes, pop, chocolates, candy, writing down what needs to be ordered , counting smokes , cigars, snuff at end of shift, counting till, and doing end of day paper work.

I didn't really learn too much at this job, it was all straight forward things ive done before when I worked at 7eleven.

management was hardley around. they just came to do paper work from previous day , and pull out the smoke cartons I needed to fill shelves in front.

I usually didn't work with any other co-workers, except when I was training new employees who were going to work on the weekends, or evening shift.

The hardest part of my job would be when it gets really busy, and theres a line up, and I have to use the bathroom, and there is no other co-worker to help me manage the till at the time.

The part I enjoyed the most about this job, was meeting new people , making small talk, and socalizing with the regular customers.
I also enjoyed making a lists of things to do for the day and setting goals for myself, and rushing to get everything done before my shift was over.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
having to wake up early, and be at work for 6am
challenging
Manager/Retailer (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONMarch 28, 2014
Being the retailer at Macs is a challenge.Its like running multiple businesses in one entity .A typical day would start by signing in to the lottery terminal ,prepare scratch tickets ,greet the morning customers who most times enter the store with me to get the newspaper,to make sure the milk order is in ,check the expiry date on the deli and sandwiches to prepare the morning coffee and making sure all is ready for my customers in the shortest time.
I worked as an attendant ,and when my helper comes I shift to the manager duties in my little back office ,reporting the sales and all financial reports to the head office meeting the deadline in a timely manner .The hardest thing I faced there is long hours as sometimes I had to run a one person show and work for 16 hours .The only disadvantage of this business was the location being far from where I live ,not because of commuting to work but because of the difficulties to get there during extreme weather conditions as there was remote areas with no lights .I still find it a joy there because not only I made loyal customers ,they became my friends and I became a part of their community .
Pros
employee discount
Cons
far location
The fun part was when a regular customer would come in i had his smokes on the counter befor he came in . I new what he wanted.
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC KITSALINOAugust 13, 2012
When ui was working for Shell Canada in Vancouver it got very busy and other times it was slow. I got along great with the customers and also got along with my co-workers. I remember there was this one customer that would come in every week-end and we would chat when it was slow and he would tell me about his trip to Africa with his family and he would bring me a large box of doughnuts for me and my family.The hardest part of the job was when it got really busy there would be a line up from the door to the outside of the side walk and also a line up at the window. There would also be arguments and people would try to yell at me and tell me to hurry up because they are in a hurry, but you have to be patient and tell them that i will be with them as soon as i can, so then they would go some where else. My boss had told me that i did a good job handling the situation. I did not get angry i was calm and collective and polite with the customers.
Pros
the proas were that i got along with everyone.
Cons
i would get some very angry cusrtomers but you must not get mad at them
Lowest wages, high humiliation, no job security, no benefits
Sales assisstant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON, CanadaSeptember 2, 2015
I've been working with Shell for two years. The salary never rises and you don't get any benefits. I have been given one uniform shirt and its shrinking on me each time I wash it. No care or concern is shown towards the employees. NO hand sanitizers installed. Retailers save pennies and compromise on every single thing that is related with safety. No scope to progress further no matter how hard you work. Being a female worker, I have rendered all kinds of work including shoveling in heavy snow. The hardest part of the job is to shovel and lot pick particularly when its extremely cold. They should hire the services who do this for their properties. at that amount of salary, its the most terrible job that we are told to do. No progress expected at this job but helps one keep financially viable. I also do the office work and I never mind cleaning toilets or shoveling or lot picking but at least they should give us a slight raise.
Pros
Cons
No Breaks at all. No Free Lunches, No benefits
only as a starting job
Cashier/Attendant (Former Employee) –  CalgaryJuly 24, 2014
I had to be there before 6AM to open up the store, and get the pumps turned on, fill the squeegee buckets, garbage duty, slurpees machine, make coffee, clean bathroom, dust, count inventory, count starting float, work alone for 8 hours, your only break was when there was no customers. Manager was pushy, i think overtired, and overstressed, truly believed that you could sleep when you're dead. Co-workers were decent, but slightly lazy. Hardest part was dealing with people who stole gas at the pump. Most enjoyable was when I heard that in store sales went up13-19%, somewhere in there since I started. I had the best compliment i've ever had. He said: "I know you have a ***** job, you know you have a ***** job, but you always have a smile on your face, greeting customers, being friendly, and I drive past 2 Shell stations, 1 is cheaper, but I come here for the customer service.have a good day!"
Pros
free slurpees
Cons
long hours, no lunch break, worked by yourself, so you always had the fear that you might be robbed, shot, stabbed.
Was a very busy and rewarding experience.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kerrisdale, BCNovember 13, 2014
On a typical day I would do cash and do cash drops after a certain amount was in the till. I cleaned the store and kept a neat appearance, as well as set up promotional displays. I made sure the bathrooms were always cleaned and maintained and stocked shelves. I also provided great customer service to all the customers, greeting them as they walked in the door.
The hardest part of working there was when I had to work with the college students that hated the job and brought a lot of negative energy to the workplace.
The most enjoyable part of my job was when I received a service award from the company, it made me feel that my efforts of using my customer service skills to my utmost was well worth it and that even though my co-workers were making fun of me for being so serious about my job.
Pros
boosted my self confidence about my customer service skills
Cons
having to work with people who were negative and hating their job.
Great Customers, Poor Management skills for the manager
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Liberty Street , Bowmanville, ONFebruary 28, 2015
Shell Canada on Liberty Street in Bowmanville, On was my first cashiering job. I enjoyed it. I never had time for my Fiance or friends but I enjoyed my job until my manager started to mix personal life with my work life. My manager had went and told my Fiance that I accidentally locked myself out on a night shift and that I was an idiot for locking myself out. She made me sit outside in the dark for an hour and a half. I would have loved to stay working with Shell because my boss was awesome, the pay was great and I was getting amazing hours. But the manager was the problem and still is. I would return to Shell if the boss hired a new manager, the manager abuses his/her position as a manager. The hardest part of my job was impatient customers or customers who liked to blame me for the gas prices. The enjoyable part was getting to meet so many people in my community.
Pros
excellent hours
Cons
poor management
Engineers looking after Engineers regardless of skill set, knowledge
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Scotford, Fort SaskatchewanMay 8, 2014
Used to be a great company to work for with great team work and morale. HSSE is out the window, now being managed by engineers who have no knowledge, experience or understanding of what it takes to deliver a culture of safety. Cost cutting everywhere but HSSE was a big hit. Combined Refinery, Chemicals and Upgrader HSSE which was needed but eliminated 7 full time positions to do it, retained people that there were no positions for because they're engineers, brought in contract workers to replace the full time positions. Department now run by mostly engineers, yes men/women, that have no clue how to manage teams. Basically turned a high performing team with a great culture and collaborative approach into a joke. No accountability for senior managers!
Pros
none anymore
Cons
poor ethics, values, morals, work overload, low pay, mediocre benefits, unrealistic expectations
Not a lot of job security anymore
Sales Support (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaAugust 28, 2015
I spent a lot of time contemplating what I should write as a review. When I first started 7 years ago, I thought I found my last job. Management was great, the job was very fulfilling and challenging and the pay was exceptional.

Unfortunately, a lot has changed. Now there is very little support from management, just ever growing expectations. Over the last few years, with all the out-sourcing, there are just not a lot of rewarding opportunities for employment, just a lot of philosophical positions that add very little value to the organization.

That combined with a avalanche of fast-talking "analysts" who are more concerned with finding there next job than putting the time and effort to actually contributing to the success of the company. They are more concerned with manipulated KPIs than customer satisfaction.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
They are also your competition for an ever shrinking job pool
Challenging work place, but satisfying and rewarding
Field Operations Planner (Current Employee) –  Shell Waterton ComplexAugust 31, 2014
Work begins early with reviewing previous day and night activities, participating in morning safety and information meeting. Organizing the days scheduled activities and adjusting according to unexpected and reactive activities. I have learned to work quickly and efficiently with others in a team environment to meet HSE and business goals. I work well with my coworkers and we communicate well with each other. Management places a large amount of trust and responsibility on certain individuals which creates confidence and maturity. The Hardest part of the job is performing a large number of tasks while keeping things organized and safe for everyone. Being busy and being able to help in a timely manner when called upon.
Pros
excellent medical, retirement benefits
Cons
the expectation of doing more with less

Want to know more about Shell?

Ask a question
Exciting, challenging and diverse
Turn-around Warehouse Lead (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, ABOctober 6, 2013
The day would begin with a safety meeting which the lead or manager would discuss while involving other team members of safety hazards usually in and around the workplace but sometimes around the home as well. Then a discussion on how the previous days tasks went and what the plan is for today. Everyone would then assume their positions and I would oversee the shipping, deliveries, front counter, and receiving of material for Turn-Arounds. The hardest part of the job was learning to adapt to different peoples learning speeds and types. I realized that it took some extra effort but if you put in the time to realize their strengths and weaknesses you could utalize anyone for a more efficient work place. The most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction with other people to acheive a common goal.
Pros
gift cards
Cheque exchange
Heavy Oil Revenue Business Integrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 3, 2015
This is one of the most stressful week during cheque exchange at the end you see the positive results, you can count on your coworkers we all a team it doesn't matter what is your position on that day everyone is the same, is a long day ( you go home around 8 9 sometimes after 10 pm) some times with out dinner, is so intense, waiting for volumes, prices, input the revenue and upload JE, at the end of the day you high five because you did your part, in stead of taking taxi, i will drive my coworker home stop at mcdonald's for a milk shake and talk about our day, there's no complains, your learn to work as a team and gather ideas and results, we had a little bit of supervision and the end for sign off,
Pros
our time to price ourselves by going for coffee next day
Cons
You don't get to have dinner with your family but they understand is not everyday you stay late
Builds relationships that contribute to the company's sucess
Principal Project Controls Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort McmurrayMay 12, 2014
* Understands BeyonZero principles and adhere to safe work practices and standards.

* Keeps commitments and complete work by established deadlines for Project Control functions.

* Produces quality work that meets expections and demondtrates my current job-related fucntional skills and knowledge to update benchmark matrices in accordance with " Industry best" performance and as a tool for continuous improvement in future project executions.

* To Maintain teamwork , for a solution- oriented approach while working with others, even under strained conditions.

*Most Enjoyable part of the Job - HSE Leadership
Pros
actively engages in meaningful discussion about safety with co-workers and clients.
Productive work place with excellent management
Site Safety Leader (Former Employee) –  WaterlooFebruary 28, 2014
A typical day at work includes greeting customers, informing them about their transaction amount, up-selling the weekly deals, and answering general inquiries.The people who work at Shell are very reliable, enthusiastic and out-going so working with them was a pleasure.
I learnt a great deal about customer service, especially how to interact with a wide variety of personalities. I also gained knowledge of cash handling, managing accounts and assisting with the day-to-day store operations. Apart from that, I trained four new employees during my time with Shell.
Although there were days when technical difficulties made working a hassle, overall my time at Shell was a great learning experience!
Good place to work as an Employee
Turnaround Project Focal (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 29, 2015
I enjoyed the work balance between the office and the field. There was more than ample opportunity to earn new skill sets and practice them. I found the management to be very charismatic and interested in what I was working on and provided me opportunities to undertake added responsibilities. The hardest part of the job was maintaining good communication with key individuals assigned to the projects especially if some were away or on leave. To round it off I`d have to say it was a pleasure working with the Project Engineers and OR Coordinators who always demonstrated high levels of professionalism and diligence.
Pros
team building - golf tourney
Cons
contractor resentment from coworkers. site parking!
Great learning experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  London, ONJuly 16, 2015
Working at shell was a great way to interact with customers and co workers. Being social was never a problem so the job was easy to handle. The hardest part of the job was working nights, and being afraid of what could happen. Although nothing happened, I learned a lot about being prepared for any scenario. A typical day at work required salting the pavement, daily counts of lottery tickets and cigarettes. Thoroughly cleaning of shop and restrooms. I also had the privilege of helping manager with counting safe drops, and storing them at the bank. The last thing the job required me to do was stock shelves and maintain a clean, well stocked look in the store.
Pros
Taco Bell was across the street
Cons
Drunk customers
great experience
Manager (Former Employee) –  Ridgeway, ONAugust 14, 2015
This was my first job being promoted from a gas attendant to supervisor all the way to being a manager.
My coworkers were all amazing I never had any issues with them at all.
Typical day at work when I wasn't at school would start at 6am to 9pm. Coming in counting the cash, making sure all the pumps were on and working, car wash was working smoothly, employees had checked in on time for work.
The hardest part of the job is that it was full serve so winters were very cold and bitter but we make it through them.
The best part of my job was being given such s great opportunity for working as a manager and meeting some amazing and understanding customers who always made my job better without making a hassle.
Shell Canada was an amazing work environment to learn and grow within the Oil & Gas Industry.
Junior Land Analyst/Third Party Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 11, 2013
As a practicum student beginning my journey I was very fortunate to be mentored by several Mineral & Surface Land Analysts with a well of knowledge. I worked on several projects to completion sharpening my understanding of land and contracts and my role as a Land Administrator, thus becoming a Third Party Land Analyst. I am driven by communication and diversity in a dynamic environment that delivers professional and innovative services while mitigating risk thru the life cycle of Surface Land Assets.
Pros
constant learning
Cons
hard to progress within the company.
Gas attendant/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCNovember 19, 2015
Generally a fun place to work A typical day would be serving the customers, do stocking, making sure you have fresh coffee, coffee and Slurpee center area is cleaned and work on till. I learned a lot from doing the same thing everyday the most I enjoyed about my day was seeing customers everyday. I had some interaction with my co-workers but not much. The hardest part of my day was if an emergency came up I was the only one there to deal with it.
Pros
Love interacting with the customers
Cons
you can be by your self all day with no breaks
A productive and challenging place to work
Process Operator - Third Class (Current Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, ABApril 9, 2013
I truly enjoy the ability at Shell to take on challenges, plus the ability to be involved in projects. From being involved in the Brownfield area of construction, to commissioning/starting up of the new plant. Opportunities at Shell are numerous, and being able to apply for these opportunities is great, unlike other smaller plants I have worked where sometimes those openings do not exist. The co-workers here have been awesome.
Another great thing about Shell is the family/work ratio. Plenty of time away from work to spend with family members, either here where I live, or in other parts of the country.
Pros
family/work ratio