Shell Employee Reviews

Gas Station Attendant
Gas Station Attendant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 October 2016
Shell gas station was a great place to work to pay the bills. I enjoyed working with the staff and found each day very busy with gaining experience in convenience store sales and selling gas a lottery.

Each day was a little different with marketing and stocking the level of merchandise through the performance of promotions while following the lottery and tobacco laws. It was great experience for cash handling and preparing end of shift reports and cash drops for the next shift to begin.

The management was excellent and was always sure to provide you with side duties to keep you busy. The manager was great at training and directed most of the gas deliveries as a senior position.

The best part of the job was visiting with the customers and getting to know the staff in a fast paced environment.
Pros
Very busy gas station
Cons
Long hours of standing
Could be better
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 December 2016
Work by yourself, have a RFB booklet you are supposed to do during the shifts, yet alot of employees failed to do so. Training needs to expand beyond the counter so that the store remains clean and product on shelves are rotated. You couldnt call in sick because they had no one to be back up. Had no concern for employee safety when didnt feel safe. No Raises given at all even if theyre employed for more then 3 or 4 years, There is no advancement, if offered to be trained in something higher up it has no increase in your wage and your basically doing it so they have less work to do
Pros
Work by self
Cons
no appreciation, benifeits, not steady hours
Tailings planning Intern
Tailings Planning Division Intern (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 October 2016
Great impact on knowledge and exposure and supportive team to help through deadlines.
Always a good place to start your career from.
Good for a inclusion in all the fields connected.
Pros
Great benefits
Excellent opportunity for development
Financial Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 December 2016
-Excellent managers and leadership
-Great learning opportunities
-Competitive culture
-Intern projects that develop students
-Competitive salary and benefits
Pros
Awesome benefits and random free food
Cons
HR is very slow to respond, always changing in structure
Administration
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, alberta24 November 2016
Very good place to work. Benefits and salary very competitive. Also included are flex days and a very good benefits package. I would recommend this company to others.
Excellent people to work with, environmentally responsible
Instrumentation Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB14 September 2016
A very socially/environmentally responsible company that tries to maintain a safe working environment and a good work life balance. The employees are the best asset that they have. It was an easy place to go in to work every day.
Pros
work schedule
Cons
current path of management
fun work place because of sociable clients
Gas station Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC14 May 2016
a typical day at Shell would be getting to work 15 minutes earlier than your normal shift. Make sure everything is in order, deal with clients in a professional way and close the shift properly.

I learned how to multi task because it is basically what you are doing most of the time. For example, interacting with clients, changing the gas price, check outside, etc.

The management is easy to get in touch with and usually cooperative.

My co-workers are great, they help me if I need any replacement.

The hardest part of the job would be placing inventory because it can take time and be heavy.

The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with clients because they have a lot to say since they are my usual clients.
Pros
free coffee, flexible hours, friendly coworkers
Cons
long hours, a lot of multi tasking, work outside and inside
Excellent, flexible employer
Senior Turnaround Planner (Current Employee) –  Pincher Creek, AB9 January 2017
fantastic safety culture, great team atmosphere and very supportive management team. Overall, a wonderful experience.
Excellent employer
Supply Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 September 2016
A typical day was busy but we were given a lot of flexibility to do our jobs. We also had a lot of support to do our jobs well should we feel we needed help. There was also a very good career management feedback and support.
Great Company to work for.
HSSE Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC7 November 2016
I have been working either directly or indirectly for Shell for 20 years and what I like about Shell is they have been a company that really works with the communities that are in the area. I have personally been involved in some of this and it is good to see a company put back into the communities and not just take.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Such a large company you need to be patient and follow the process
Exposure to work environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Cobourg, ON1 August 2016
This job gave me exposure to work environment.Moreover i got equipped with good communication skills with job. The management was really good. The hardest part of the job was long hours which indeed helped me with my ability to work more and on weekends also
Good pay and opportunities for employees
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB7 March 2016
Good company to work for. As a contractor the possibilities are pretty limited so being an employee is a better option.

The implementation of new tech and modernizing processes is slow and clunky and often not supported by the management side because they do not fully understand the benefits.

That can be very frustrating to someone who is always pushing for forward thinking, more efficient and automated ways to do things but overall completely understandable due to the size of the organization and their continuous need to standardize things.

Solving the different problems I encountered in my time there was very rewarding and the team environment and cooperation was both helpful and very professional.
Pros
High Pay, challenging problems to fix
Cons
Tiring schedules for site positions, aggressive cost reductions
Working Shell
Control &Automation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary16 June 2016
The flexing working style is good and benefit both employ and the company.

Salary and benefit is a little bit lower than the industrial.

No job security, training and learning all depend on the manager you working for.

The company business long term stractage is not good.
Productive Fun workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS14 June 2016
On a typical day at work, I start off with counting my cigarettes and my lotto counts then get in my routine on what needs to be done around the store stocking, merchandising, mopping tidying the store.

Everyday i'm always learning new things and making it easier for me to do my work and making it better for me in the long run. My management is great very outgoing person very easy to get along with no hassle.

I love the co-workers i work with which the only time we see them is when were doing shift change which is only 10-15 minutes. Overall the staff that's there is great people. working alone would be maybe the hardest sometimes i would say because there is sometimes in an 8 hour shift you cant get much stuff that you would like to get done but you try your best at what you can do.

Overall I Come into my job knowning on what i'm going to get into which is great staff, great management and always having fun in the workplace.
all team are fun to work with.
service attendant (Former Employee) –  airdrie canada5 January 2017
i had fun to work with them,to the superior up to the crews,they all cooperative and kind and there no problem to get a work schedule that fits on you and all the benifits are you surely will get it
very good
Gas Station Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC9 January 2017
very lovely place to work the management was very understanding and caring fo your well being they provided a very fun working enviroment
Productive and fun workplace
ADMIN ASSISNTANT/JUNIOR COMMERCIAL ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 August 2016
Great company overall; downside is the fact that the oil and gas prices are not in its favour at the moment. Employees are scared and worries for their jobs and there's nothing really the company can do for it doesn't control the unstable market.
Pros
Career Development
Cons
Job Insecurity
Senior HSSE Technician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 September 2016
- Coaching and mentoring role daily.
- Great management support.
- Great people to work with.
- Very large area to cover lots of driving
- Learning new things daily.
Pros
14 days on by 14 days off rotation
Cons
Being away from my family.
fun working meeting new people everyday.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC20 November 2016
I have learnt a lot from this job. Management is really good and helpful. Usually i have to stand at the counter for payments or serve people on full-serve station.
Pros
flexible shifts
Cons
no breaks
Fun and supportive management made work feel like home
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 January 2017
I worked my way up by staying employed at shell for 6 years. I gained great customer service and cash handling experience. I learned how to sell items and how to make small talk with customers. I am very confident in my customer service abilities due to my experiences with shell. Day to day life at shell was fun due to my open minded and caring manager. The whole shell team was super friendly and helpful. I never once felt like I hated my job and I would definitely recommend university students to take up a job at a gas station. They were very understanding about school priorities and exams. The hardest part of the job was definitely delivery day. Deliveries were always done during the day so we were required to juggle customers and put away inventory properly. The most enjoyable part of the job was making connections with the customers and seeing an increase in the number of customers that made our gas station a part of their daily coffee routine.
Pros
Free slurpees on really long hot summer days
Cons
Prolonged periods of standing