Shell Employee Reviews

Decent Company, But still needs a union to ensure fair treatment
Predictive Maintenance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta19 May 2017
Shell is generally a good company. However they have some internal systems with Occupational Health that need to be updated and improved. And in certain cases supervision is not up speed with modern day practices
Good salary and benefits, but you're just a cog in the wheel
IT Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 May 2017
Shell provides an excellent compensation package, however I struggled with feeling fully engaged and enthusiastic about the work. There is a significant level of bureaucracy which greatly delays decision making.
Well managed workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Hope, BC17 May 2017
typically my day at works consists of running customers through the till, assisting people at the pumps and pumping propane. As well as closing cleaning/management duties. What makes me enjoy going to my job is the management, I work for great people which makes going to work a lot easier. The job is pretty stress free other than the odd difficult customer
Pros
discounted store items
Productive and very busy place to work! Enjoyed the staff!
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 May 2017
You had customers to deal with regarding fuel purchase,lotto purchase and merchandize as well as upselling! I enjoyed the customers and you got to know the regular ones. Great place to work kept busy and your shift went fast! It could get pretty hectic at times! Enjoyed the times making fresh coffee,cleaning and stocking shelfs and the coolers which gave you a break from the front cashier! Cashing out at the end of your shift with the other cashier could get hectic especially when you didn't balance or were out in lotto, cigarettes or cash! I had a great boss who was funny and encouraging!
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
It could get quite busy at times!
Productive Workplace with Great People
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Iron Bridge, Ontario14 May 2017
A typical day includes me talking to certain everyday customers and providing them with an experience which keeps them coming back to us rather than our competitors. At the beginning of the shift, i sign on the the system under my name. As the cashier position, i have to engage with customers, stack the shelves, notice inventory that needs to be ordered, count the lottery tickets before closing. When i have closing shifts, i have to maintain and clean the workplace before leaving.
Pros
Great People, always something to do
fun with co-workers
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Alberta13 May 2017
good with customer service, on site dutys well known. have a positive and clean environment. well uniformed and excellent timings. surveys taken and given.
Friendly environment
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Banff, AB12 May 2017
Day always starts with the warm welcome by the fellow colleagues. As learning process never ends, i always try to learn new things. After joining the team I've learned a lots of things like;working in a fast paced environment, customer solving skills, control in stock loss and always try to boost in daily sales by up-selling and cross selling skills. Patience is the key things in this work place. There seems nothing hard if we love our work and worship it. Giving the best customer experience in an open friendly environment is the best part which i enjoy the most.
Pros
Extra hours
Cons
Slow growth.
Great work place
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 May 2017
Able to demonstrate high-level understanding of sales professional selling.
Plan customer calls and visits to provide the appropriate level of service to existing and new customers with a focus on retaining/expanding existing business relationships and acquiring new business relationships.
Increase the value for existing Shell customers through cross, range and right selling
Understand the activity, business and needs of customers, provide sound information and advice on products and services.,
Sell and negotiate win-win solutions with customers.
easy job and learnt a lot about customer service
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON11 May 2017
sometimes it gets busy but still I loved working there.I like the cleaning art to its always fun with other co workers and good experience to learnt. I like the staff too
Pros
gifts cards
Cons
drunk people at night
Family environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB9 May 2017
I Learned many things after working shell. I developed my communication skill, my confidence and great customer dealing. my relation with my Manager is like a family member
Pros
enhance communication skill
Cons
fear about safety
Great customers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC8 May 2017
Enjoyed working their, the customers made the job lots of regulars, easy going environment, Their commitment to safety is impeccable.
The store managers were great!
not happy to work for a company
Cashier / Bar Attendant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 May 2017
Handling money with customers as a cashier
Not good scheduling for employers (no fix schedule)
unloading packages from inventory
Working with your co-workers to solve problems
no benefits for longterm employers
Pros
Communicating with customers
Cons
Schedule, long hours, not good disability accommodation
A good place to work, providing an opportunity to be more active and responsible personalility
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 May 2017
Working with shell, was a great experience. Learned about the customer services like in what to treat a person coming to the station or inside the store. Moreover, I learned how to manage the things for which I was given the training. Its a nice place to work which provides an opportunity to deal with people of different cultures which is the most loving part of the job.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Nights are boring sometime
Nice place to work with a supporting staff
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 May 2017
Safety standards are well planned with a very flexible schedule that fits your job requirements. A very supporting and friendly staff specially managers at every gas station. Worked at almost three locations and work experience is really awesome.
Pros
Free Coffee
Cons
Night shifts can be bit annoying due to work load.
great pay and benefits
Surface Land Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 May 2017
No room for advancement.
great pay and benefits
Managers and Team Leads do not think for themselves (yes men).
Back stab culture
Safety is not a priority
productive customer service
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 April 2017
- learning new communication skills
- interacting with new people
- cash handling
- shifts were good depending on my time
- working in a team was comfortable
very good and friendly workplace
Gas Station Attendant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC24 April 2017
the work was good and the environment was good . the work was very intreasting and it was a type of work a oerson never gets bored doing that. i use to work outside
Fun and laid-back job
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON13 April 2017
Working at Shell is sometimes laid-back but other times it can get busy. Training is stressful because there was rarely any down-time so you are put into it right away. The hardest part of the job was that you just had to last alone until the next shift person.
Turnaround Planner / Shutdown Planner (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB10 April 2017
4&3 shift, O/T paid at x2
Bonuses were good
Management fair
Camp life good
Benefits good
Overall people were good to work with.
Contractors paid well.
Good company with good work life balance
Exploration Geologist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 April 2017
Shell is a good company. The struggles of the industry at large has affected this company, but it is a good company. I enjoyed the work culture at Shell.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shell. Our community is ready to answer.