Shell Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Good pay and opportunities for employees
Coordinator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMarch 7, 2016
Pros: High Pay, challenging problems to fix
Cons: Tiring schedules for site positions, aggressive cost reductions
Good company to work for. As a contractor the possibilities are pretty limited so being an employee is a better option.

The implementation of new tech and modernizing processes is slow and clunky and often not supported by the management side because they do not fully understand the benefits.

That can be very frustrating to someone who is always pushing for forward thinking, more efficient and automated ways to do things but overall completely understandable due to the size of the organization and their continuous need to standardize things.

Solving the different problems I encountered in my time there was very rewarding and the team environment and cooperation was both helpful and very professional.
A great multinational company.
Production Engineer (Former Employee), Calgary, AB, CanadaOctober 15, 2015
Pros: Good opportunity to advance career, with descent pay and benefits.
Cons: Culture based on grading system, that rewards more to visible individuals than performance.
Good for opportunities to learn and advance a profession.
Big investment projects underway that benefit the company and society at large.
Operates with a world class safety culture.
productive and fun
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Balzac, ABFebruary 24, 2016
Cons: longhours
its a fun place to work ,management is good ,but the only thing is this that the salary is very low, the most enjoyable part of the job is that you come across different kind of customers all day
Coworkers are all good
Fun workplace with good lunch rooms and all available vendor machines ,stoves etc.
Heavy Equipment technician (Former Employee), Albian sands fort mcmurrayJuly 24, 2015
Pros: everything is in place
Cons: long hours
This is one of the best company`s too work for with good wages and benefits for individuals.The workplace is very relaxed but very safety concerned.Decent amount of politics on the floor but expected.excellent upper class management [workshop manager] otherwise not everyone has the same opinion and experience of this great company
Lowest wages, high humiliation, no job security, no benefits
Sales assisstant (Current Employee), Mississauga, ON, CanadaSeptember 2, 2015
Pros: -
Cons: No Breaks at all. No Free Lunches, No benefits
I've been working with Shell for two years. The salary never rises and you don't get any benefits. I have been given one uniform shirt and its shrinking on me each time I wash it. No care or concern is shown towards the employees. NO hand sanitizers installed. Retailers save pennies and compromise on every single thing that is related with safety. No scope to progress further no matter how hard you work. Being a female worker, I have rendered all kinds of work including shoveling in heavy snow. The hardest part of the job is to shovel and lot pick particularly when its extremely cold. They should hire the services who do this for their properties. at that amount of salary, its the most terrible job that we are told to do. No progress expected at this job but helps one keep financially viable. I also do the office work and I never mind cleaning toilets or shoveling or lot picking but at least they should give us a slight raise.
good and productive experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Barrie, ONApril 5, 2016
Pros: meet with new people daily
Cons: low salary
its a good experience to working at the shell. I learned a lot of new things from that job. like ; how to deal with customers , how to handle difficult or emergency situation. I learned team work .. how to work in a team. the best part of the job is meet new customers and made good relations with them. as every coin have two side this job also have some hardest part . but its normal .. my team members and passion made difficult time easy for me.
OK
Attendant (Former Employee), OshawaSeptember 4, 2015
For a dead end job this was ok for a bit. The management was great and the co-workers were fun, but that's about it. Min wage, very little job security and little room for advancement, pushed unrealistic quotas without commission and no ways for us to even really boost sales. There was long hours alone and extremely short shifts as well.
Great People at Shell
Leader (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 23, 2016
Pros: Salary and benefits are very good. The people are excellent, well trained and talented.
Cons: With the recent economic environment, the overall vision and strategy of RDS is unclear
Shell Canada is part of the Global Royal Dutch Shell organization and has very close ties to the US. As a global company, there are many bureaucratic processes that create complexity in everyday work.

Houston is considered a hub and most Upstream work is directed through Houston.

Expectations are high for excellence.
limited advancement and poor communication from management
Night Cashier (Current Employee), London, ONMarch 9, 2016
Pros: own boss
Cons: no comunication / advancement
This job has no future but is a good stepping stone to more productive and fulfilling career job. it is a line assemble job with no structure or encouragement to do more than what is least required to do job.
Not a lot of job security anymore
Sales Support (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaAugust 28, 2015
Pros: Great people to work with
Cons: They are also your competition for an ever shrinking job pool
I spent a lot of time contemplating what I should write as a review. When I first started 7 years ago, I thought I found my last job. Management was great, the job was very fulfilling and challenging and the pay was exceptional.

Unfortunately, a lot has changed. Now there is very little support from management, just ever growing expectations. Over the last few years, with all the out-sourcing, there are just not a lot of rewarding opportunities for employment, just a lot of philosophical positions that add very little value to the organization.

That combined with a avalanche of fast-talking "analysts" who are more concerned with finding there next job than putting the time and effort to actually contributing to the success of the company. They are more concerned with manipulated KPIs than customer satisfaction.
Great place to work with a fun, safe environment
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Former Employee), Fort McKay, ABOctober 23, 2015
Great place to work with amazing people. Management was very supportive in bettering ones self. There can be some days where nothing goes the way you think it should, and other days where it felt like everything was going just as you imagined. The most enjoyable part of my job was working alongside my coworker i worked with everyday, created a great relationship il always have and learned a lot from him.
Productive and fun place to be
IT Support Engineer / System Administrator (Former Employee), Port HarcourtMarch 15, 2016
Pros: Good working environment
Cons: long hours
Resolving of users IT Related issues. working during weekends. Colleagues were fun and interesting to be with. Long hours
good crew
Gas Attendant (Former Employee), Spruce Grove, ABFebruary 29, 2016
loved the job. constantly busy always moving had a lot to do in a shift. management was decent. things were always changing with new product sales and advertisements
What I learned with this company
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABDecember 21, 2015
Pros: Dinner banqets
Cons: No overtime
First company I worked for in the oil sands. Worked with Sycrude for l
many years and learned a lot of values with home and work life.
hard on the mind
Maintenance trade (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJune 6, 2015
Pros: money
Cons: long long hours 415am to 730pm
Absolutely no accountability for management. Constantly watching money being thrown away and mismanaged. Safety routes don't make sense and are to such an extreme that they have forgotten the whole point to begin with. All about the amount of check marks in the boxes whether it makes sense or not. If you can turn your brain off its the right place for you. Money is really good if you can handle being surrounded by idiots and bombarded by idiocy.
Excellent Company
Business Development Lead (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 13, 2016
My experience working for Shell has been great. As a global energy company Shell continually strives to lead in the field of sustainable development, for a better energy future. The work culture and respect is absolutely fantastic.
If you want to drive change and be part of the solution, Shell welcomes you with open arms and helps you create that space to defy conventional means of thinking and challenging norms of both the industry and the work place.
Its a job
Gas Station Attendant (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCSeptember 27, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: Customers irate for no reason 90% of the time
It was a lot better then working at fast food. No room for advancement, you still have to deal with irate customers. But it wasn't really all that bad. I worked with some nice people, my regular customers were all nice people, my boss was a good hard working man and wife, both were very accepting when I made the decision to move and couldn't complete my last 5 days of work.
Gas attendant/Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCNovember 19, 2015
Pros: Love interacting with the customers
Cons: you can be by your self all day with no breaks
Generally a fun place to work A typical day would be serving the customers, do stocking, making sure you have fresh coffee, coffee and Slurpee center area is cleaned and work on till. I learned a lot from doing the same thing everyday the most I enjoyed about my day was seeing customers everyday. I had some interaction with my co-workers but not much. The hardest part of my day was if an emergency came up I was the only one there to deal with it.
Global Company
Marketing Specialist (Former Employee), Middle EastDecember 6, 2015
Pros: Lots....
Cons: none...
Great assignments and projects.

Supportive management. Enjoyed trainings and courses.

Job rotation and great learning!
World class global company to work for.
HSSE Coordinator (Current Employee), Calgary, CanadaAugust 23, 2015
World class global company to work for. Great work life balance and learning.Global career opportunities and growth.
Headquarters