Shell Employee Reviews in Canada

Excellent Company
Business Development Lead (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 13, 2016
My experience working for Shell has been great. As a global energy company Shell continually strives to lead in the field of sustainable development, for a better energy future. The work culture and respect is absolutely fantastic.
If you want to drive change and be part of the solution, Shell welcomes you with open arms and helps you create that space to defy conventional means of thinking and challenging norms of both the industry and the work place.
Meet all sorts of different people
cashier/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONJune 26, 2016
A good place to start a job and you learn about all kinds of different people. it is fast paced demanding job. On a shift you work by yourself so you are the boss and you see co-workers when you change shifts and they are friendly people. The most enjoyable part of the job is you are doing service for people.
Pros
can take break whenever not busy
Cons
people come in while you are eating
good and productive experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONApril 5, 2016
its a good experience to working at the shell. I learned a lot of new things from that job. like ; how to deal with customers , how to handle difficult or emergency situation. I learned team work .. how to work in a team. the best part of the job is meet new customers and made good relations with them. as every coin have two side this job also have some hardest part . but its normal .. my team members and passion made difficult time easy for me.
Pros
meet with new people daily
Cons
low salary
Ample opportunity to learn and grow very team orientated
IM/BA Document/Data Information Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 26, 2016
Beginning each day with emails and it started from there. I learned something new almost everyday. Co-workers were great. I really enjoy my job but unfortunately the price of oil dictated the ending of my job on June 30 along with so many others. My skills enable me to be versatile.
Pros
Very people, safety and environmental aware.
Cons
A global best managed company
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 10, 2016
A global best managed company.
Valued employees work life balance.
Shell respect their core values of honesty, integrity and respect for people. The Shell General Business Principles, Code of Conduct, and Code of Ethics help everyone at Shell to act in line with these values and comply with all relevant legislation and regulations.
Pros
Courses to upgrade our talent
fun work place because of sociable clients
Gas station Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCMay 14, 2016
a typical day at Shell would be getting to work 15 minutes earlier than your normal shift. Make sure everything is in order, deal with clients in a professional way and close the shift properly.

I learned how to multi task because it is basically what you are doing most of the time. For example, interacting with clients, changing the gas price, check outside, etc.

The management is easy to get in touch with and usually cooperative.

My co-workers are great, they help me if I need any replacement.

The hardest part of the job would be placing inventory because it can take time and be heavy.

The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with clients because they have a lot to say since they are my usual clients.
Pros
free coffee, flexible hours, friendly coworkers
Cons
long hours, a lot of multi tasking, work outside and inside
Great People at Shell
Leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 23, 2016
Shell Canada is part of the Global Royal Dutch Shell organization and has very close ties to the US. As a global company, there are many bureaucratic processes that create complexity in everyday work.

Houston is considered a hub and most Upstream work is directed through Houston.

Expectations are high for excellence.
Pros
Salary and benefits are very good. The people are excellent, well trained and talented.
Cons
With the recent economic environment, the overall vision and strategy of RDS is unclear
Good pay and opportunities for employees
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMarch 7, 2016
Good company to work for. As a contractor the possibilities are pretty limited so being an employee is a better option.

The implementation of new tech and modernizing processes is slow and clunky and often not supported by the management side because they do not fully understand the benefits.

That can be very frustrating to someone who is always pushing for forward thinking, more efficient and automated ways to do things but overall completely understandable due to the size of the organization and their continuous need to standardize things.

Solving the different problems I encountered in my time there was very rewarding and the team environment and cooperation was both helpful and very professional.
Pros
High Pay, challenging problems to fix
Cons
Tiring schedules for site positions, aggressive cost reductions
Horribly managed
Survey Technician (Former Employee) –  AlbianJune 22, 2016
Poor management. No dedication to employees or credit for hard work and commitment to the company. Many layoffs to save money but only in particular departments. Treated students poorly. Very prejudice. Not understanding of the students mistakes.
Pros
Decent amount of days off
Cons
Camp life
Working Shell
Control &Automation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  CalgaryJune 16, 2016
The flexing working style is good and benefit both employ and the company.

Salary and benefit is a little bit lower than the industrial.

No job security, training and learning all depend on the manager you working for.

The company business long term stractage is not good.
Productive Fun workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSJune 14, 2016
On a typical day at work, I start off with counting my cigarettes and my lotto counts then get in my routine on what needs to be done around the store stocking, merchandising, mopping tidying the store.

Everyday i'm always learning new things and making it easier for me to do my work and making it better for me in the long run. My management is great very outgoing person very easy to get along with no hassle.

I love the co-workers i work with which the only time we see them is when were doing shift change which is only 10-15 minutes. Overall the staff that's there is great people. working alone would be maybe the hardest sometimes i would say because there is sometimes in an 8 hour shift you cant get much stuff that you would like to get done but you try your best at what you can do.

Overall I Come into my job knowning on what i'm going to get into which is great staff, great management and always having fun in the workplace.
Confidence and Communication
Worked as a Cashier/Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 17, 2016
I had always lacked communicating with other people but this job gave me an opportunity to work on my skills and make them better.
Dealing with customer and solving spontaneous problems gave me confidence for my bigger dreams.
limited advancement and poor communication from management
Night Cashier (Current Employee) –  London, ONMarch 9, 2016
This job has no future but is a good stepping stone to more productive and fulfilling career job. it is a line assemble job with no structure or encouragement to do more than what is least required to do job.
Pros
own boss
Cons
no comunication / advancement
nice place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCMay 11, 2016
I get very less chance to work here due to schedule problem but how much time i a have work was quite good. Managers were good and learn lot about Canada's culture and lots more of experience facing many problems.
great safe learning experience
Power Engineer Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Peace River, ABJanuary 24, 2016
it was a great experience to learn from and a great place to learn in.
although it was only for three summers I enjoyed the people I worked with and each days daily runs and checks/ safety meeting.
when I worked there it was an odd shift schedule witch made it hard, life was planned around work.
Work life balance is good
BSA (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 13, 2016
For contractors, life is rather easy, employees help all the time, very good workplace. Normal pressure for delivery of projects but the management understands the risks and appreciates good work.
Pros
Good work life balance
Was alright!
instrumentation (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 7, 2016
Working for shell canada was awarding first but soon you realize that it is very much I mean way to much performance base where you completely rely on other departement performance in order to succeed within your job. Therefore, its somewhat bias when it comes to individual performance.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
to performance focused
Shell
Senior Petrophysicist (Technical Authority (TA2)) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 9, 2016
great company to work for, good skills development and good people to work with. i would not think of leaving unless the current situation is dictating so.
Pros
big orgnization
Cons
great cluture
good company
Laboratory Technologist (Former Employee) –  Peace River, ABMay 25, 2016
Great pay, poor advancement and development opportunities unless you are an engineer. This is a company that was built by engineers for engineers. Not secure due to fluctuating oil prices.
productive and fun
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Balzac, ABFebruary 24, 2016
its a fun place to work ,management is good ,but the only thing is this that the salary is very low, the most enjoyable part of the job is that you come across different kind of customers all day
Coworkers are all good
Cons
longhours