Shell Employee Reviews in Canada

Excellent Company
Business Development Lead (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 13, 2016
My experience working for Shell has been great. As a global energy company Shell continually strives to lead in the field of sustainable development, for a better energy future. The work culture and respect is absolutely fantastic.
If you want to drive change and be part of the solution, Shell welcomes you with open arms and helps you create that space to defy conventional means of thinking and challenging norms of both the industry and the work place.
good and productive experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONApril 5, 2016
its a good experience to working at the shell. I learned a lot of new things from that job. like ; how to deal with customers , how to handle difficult or emergency situation. I learned team work .. how to work in a team. the best part of the job is meet new customers and made good relations with them. as every coin have two side this job also have some hardest part . but its normal .. my team members and passion made difficult time easy for me.
Pros
meet with new people daily
Cons
low salary
Great People at Shell
Leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 23, 2016
Shell Canada is part of the Global Royal Dutch Shell organization and has very close ties to the US. As a global company, there are many bureaucratic processes that create complexity in everyday work.

Houston is considered a hub and most Upstream work is directed through Houston.

Expectations are high for excellence.
Pros
Salary and benefits are very good. The people are excellent, well trained and talented.
Cons
With the recent economic environment, the overall vision and strategy of RDS is unclear
Ample opportunity to learn and grow very team orientated
IM/BA Document/Data Information Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 26, 2016
Beginning each day with emails and it started from there. I learned something new almost everyday. Co-workers were great. I really enjoy my job but unfortunately the price of oil dictated the ending of my job on June 30 along with so many others. My skills enable me to be versatile.
Pros
Very people, safety and environmental aware.
Cons
Good pay and opportunities for employees
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMarch 7, 2016
Good company to work for. As a contractor the possibilities are pretty limited so being an employee is a better option.

The implementation of new tech and modernizing processes is slow and clunky and often not supported by the management side because they do not fully understand the benefits.

That can be very frustrating to someone who is always pushing for forward thinking, more efficient and automated ways to do things but overall completely understandable due to the size of the organization and their continuous need to standardize things.

Solving the different problems I encountered in my time there was very rewarding and the team environment and cooperation was both helpful and very professional.
Pros
High Pay, challenging problems to fix
Cons
Tiring schedules for site positions, aggressive cost reductions
limited advancement and poor communication from management
Night Cashier (Current Employee) –  London, ONMarch 9, 2016
This job has no future but is a good stepping stone to more productive and fulfilling career job. it is a line assemble job with no structure or encouragement to do more than what is least required to do job.
Pros
own boss
Cons
no comunication / advancement
great safe learning experience
Power Engineer Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Peace River, ABJanuary 24, 2016
it was a great experience to learn from and a great place to learn in.
although it was only for three summers I enjoyed the people I worked with and each days daily runs and checks/ safety meeting.
when I worked there it was an odd shift schedule witch made it hard, life was planned around work.
Was alright!
instrumentation (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 7, 2016
Working for shell canada was awarding first but soon you realize that it is very much I mean way to much performance base where you completely rely on other departement performance in order to succeed within your job. Therefore, its somewhat bias when it comes to individual performance.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
to performance focused
Gas attendant/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCNovember 19, 2015
Generally a fun place to work A typical day would be serving the customers, do stocking, making sure you have fresh coffee, coffee and Slurpee center area is cleaned and work on till. I learned a lot from doing the same thing everyday the most I enjoyed about my day was seeing customers everyday. I had some interaction with my co-workers but not much. The hardest part of my day was if an emergency came up I was the only one there to deal with it.
Pros
Love interacting with the customers
Cons
you can be by your self all day with no breaks
Great place to work with a fun, safe environment
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McKay, ABOctober 23, 2015
Great place to work with amazing people. Management was very supportive in bettering ones self. There can be some days where nothing goes the way you think it should, and other days where it felt like everything was going just as you imagined. The most enjoyable part of my job was working alongside my coworker i worked with everyday, created a great relationship il always have and learned a lot from him.
productive and fun
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Balzac, ABFebruary 24, 2016
its a fun place to work ,management is good ,but the only thing is this that the salary is very low, the most enjoyable part of the job is that you come across different kind of customers all day
Coworkers are all good
Cons
longhours
A great multinational company.
Production Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB, CanadaOctober 15, 2015
Good for opportunities to learn and advance a profession.
Big investment projects underway that benefit the company and society at large.
Operates with a world class safety culture.
Pros
Good opportunity to advance career, with descent pay and benefits.
Cons
Culture based on grading system, that rewards more to visible individuals than performance.
Productive and fun place to be
IT Support Engineer / System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Port HarcourtMarch 15, 2016
Resolving of users IT Related issues. working during weekends. Colleagues were fun and interesting to be with. Long hours
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
Busy work place but fun and versatile
Bilingual Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 24, 2015
Great company to work for with the ability to transfer departments within the entire company. Working in the retail department lets you be very hands on with gas station owners, customers and other office staff. Open work space so you can always interact but still have the privacy needed when dealing with customer and staff. There is definitely red tape as it is a very big oil and gas company but always had a great time at work, It never felt like work as we had a fantastic group of co-workers
Pros
Loved the interaction with customers
Cons
couple months out of the year it was a lot of overtime for contract time.
Its a job
Gas Station Attendant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCSeptember 27, 2015
It was a lot better then working at fast food. No room for advancement, you still have to deal with irate customers. But it wasn't really all that bad. I worked with some nice people, my regular customers were all nice people, my boss was a good hard working man and wife, both were very accepting when I made the decision to move and couldn't complete my last 5 days of work.
Pros
Cons
Customers irate for no reason 90% of the time
Sucks
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ONApril 25, 2016
After working at Shell for almost a year they still treated me as if I was a new worker, as if I knew nothing. They do not trust their employees.
Pros
nothing.
Cons
Long hours, no breaks, horrible owner, not enough staff ever
Wonderful Company
Site Information Manager Document Control (Former Employee) –  Albian Sands/ CalgaryJanuary 8, 2016
My Time at Shell Canada was a great Experience. The Work Ethic was amazing and everyone was respectful of one another. I would recommend Shell to anyone that wants to apply there.
large environmental job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 8, 2015
It is really easy and fun job, specially when it comes to an customer service. The advantage is you get to see all kind of people everyday and by talking to them gaining experience and a good relationship through them.
Pros
No lunch unless you bring your own
Cons
Maximum 8 hours shift
Shell has been a great company to work.
Drilling Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 5, 2016
Shell has a continued focus on future technology and exceptional development of their staff. They create a good working environment to promotes team work.
The great outdoors
customer service (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ONApril 28, 2016
The best part about my time as Shell was being able to sit outside and enjoy the summer when we were not busy. Working the car wash allowed a lot of outdoor time as well.