Shaw Group Employee Reviews

Fast paced envoironment
Customer Service Advisor (Sale/Billing) (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 September 2016
Never a dull moment, always face different challenges with every call. Every call you get always feel like you made a difference with the customer you talked too.
Pros
4 week advance schedule
Cons
expensive commute
Great people, great company.
Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 June 2016
Great people to work for, culture is great and the training is readily available. There is a lot to pay attention to and duties are increasing, but there is a lot of advancement opportunities and many things to learn.
Pros
Great people, great product.
Cons
High stress, many metrics to follow at once.
Exciting and innovative place to work
Executive Assistant to CTO and President (Former Employee) –  Toronto & Mississauga, ON6 April 2016
I learned a great deal during the time spent working for Star Choice Television/Cancom/Shaw Communications as the company went through major mergers during my years there. I supported multiple senior executives variously, including two presidents, the CFO, chairman of the board of Star Choice, and the CTO.

The most challenging part of the job involved the period of the merger between Star Choice Television and Cancom, and then with Shaw Communications, as delicacy and discretion were paramount during the changeover of executive personnel. As I was supporting two executives during this period (the president and the CTO), multi-tasking and prioritizing skills were finely honed and further developed.

Throughout the majority of my time with the company, I supported more than one executive at a time. I was also Office Manager while being Executive Assistant to the CTO (when Star Choice Television was in Toronto, and before the merger with Cancom and subsequent move to their Mississauga offices).

Particularly enjoyable aspects of the job include the excitement that came with being part of a start up, as Star Choice Television was at the time I was hired, and the opportunity to meet and work with a number of very different personalities through the multiple mergers involved.

In summary, I gained invaluable experience in multi-tasking and prioritizing, and I vastly improved my computer and communications skills during my time with the company.
good
Customer Solution Expert (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC29 November 2015
good working culture. amazing supervisors and managers.
Vancouver office is located at the best place. co-workers are helpful.
Pros
pakage
Cons
na
training was exceptional
TSR (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 August 2015
Training was exceptional but the floating desk system had us running to find a desk most days unless you came in an HOUR (unpaid) to secure a desk for your shift.
Pros
occasional pot luck
Cons
only the higher up and valued employees were invited to Shaw functions and the Christmas party
Really
management (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 May 2015
For a telecommunications firm in decline without a firm strategy in place, the top 5 executives each receive salaries of $ 10 M a year plus - it's easy to create an aura of humble pie when you're a multi-millionaire. The rank and file have to do with below average pay in one of Canada's most expensive cities.
n/a
20,000 (Former Employee) –  downtown13 January 2015
i was a technical support agent only worked there as seasonal. Management was not good.
Well establised and diversifed company
Maintenance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lantz, NS9 January 2015
I was fortunate to have 12 hardworking employees to supervise.
Pros
Hours of work
Cons
Limited advancement
good work environment
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Lantz, NS9 December 2014
I earn experience from this job everyday. Sadly, lay offs are inevitable. Some years are better than others, like this year for example. Getting laid off in December is really good for this job. Other years could be september or august. I learned how to drive lift trucks, operate overhead travelling cranes, rigging and more
Pros
off at 2pm
Cons
start at 6 am, lay offs
Workplace was good
Loader Operator (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB25 September 2014
-Typical day at work was good
-I learned to run a loader
-Management was good to me
-Co-workers were good to work with
-The hardest part of the job was to get ready to do the job.
-The most enjoyable part of the job was to go home after the hard days work.
Pros
was good
Cons
was good
Alright
Product Worker (Current Employee) –  Lantz, Nova Scotia24 June 2014
It is an alright place to work for. The biggest down fall is the lack of communication, management. They also pay the blame game for with something happens. My Co- Workers are great. They are fun to be around and make the time go fast. The hardest part of my job is figuring out how to fix the problems in the different jobs that we do.
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
lack of appritcation
good place to work
Customer Care/Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 June 2014
good place to work,benefits are good and good team members.Great room for advancement
Productive and have fun with co-workers
Kiln Operator (Current Employee) –  Lantz, NS11 November 2013
I do my regular routines throughout the day or night. Taking readings, trials, cleaning up around the kiln.Loading and taking cars out of the kiln. Its always something new to learn about the operation of the kiln of how its run. Management treats me well. They buys us ice cream or Gatorade on hot summer days plus give us a bbq in July. They give us rewards when we dont miss any time or any lost time accidents. My co workers make it a fun place to work. Joking around with others and playing cribbage on our lunch breaks. The hardest part of my job is working in extreme heat in the summer or doing maintenance on the kiln in tight spots if no one is around to help. The most enjoyable part of my job is when the kiln is working at its best with very minimum adjustments. Makes the day go really good.
Best of the best
Instrumentation and Controls Engineer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 June 2013
This company provides employees with amny flexible choices to do the work.
great place to work but can't progreds in the company
Operator/Skilled Labourer (Current Employee) –  Lantz, NS12 February 2013
Shift starts at 5am
Do walk around of machine complete logs
Complete forklift logs and checks
Start machine
I have learned many safety tips and how to be lean
Management could be in the plant more to see the actual jobs start to finish
Co workers are great group to work with
Pros
early start early finish, supply coveralls and boot allowance
Cons
heavy lifting and dirty
flexible income, and the people are wonderful!
Customer Solution Expert (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 February 2013
flexible hours as a part timer,

the benefits are comprehensive and the product is competitive

management shares a positive and lively attitude,

coworkers are all a team player

no hardship that can be overcome,

the coffee is free and a lot of selection!!
Pros
free coffee and benefits are free..
Cons
not enough hours.
FUN TO WORK AND GOOD MANAGMENT
Customer Solution rep (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 October 2012
I HAD GOOD EXPERIENCE WITH THIS COMPANY AND I LEARNED A LOT OF GOOD EXPERIENCE AND WITH LOT OF HELPING HANDS, GOOD SALARY PACKAGE AND GOOD HEALTH CARE PACK.
Pros
free lunch and healthy food
Cons
short hours