Shaw Conference Centre Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Easygoing work place with great community
Banquet Server (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 29, 2016
Co-workers are great, easy place to enjoy your work and get along with others. Create life experiences and life-long friends. Supervisors, Banquet Managers and Captains though are superior to regular Banquet Servers do not treat them as such.
Pros
casual, shiftwork
Cons
no shifts in summer, pay for parking
A large work environment managed by a tight knit group.
Banquet Server (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 9, 2016
The environment changes drastically from very modest business meetings to over populated raves. It is truly is the place to be if you want to know the type of people that populate Edmonton.
Excellent employer
Banquet Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 23, 2016
I was truly impressed by how much effort management made to keep us informed and taken care of. Training for the position was detailed and thorough, and the pre-event staff meetings ensured we were well prepared for the events we worked. They also kept us very well fed! The hours where flexible, and while it was a "minimum wage" position, gratuities nearly doubled the hourly rate for each event worked. I really enjoyed working there and was sorry to have to leave. The events I worked were varied and interesting.

My only complaint would be the unfortunate number of co-workers who took advantage of the employer's largess and flexibility.
Pros
Free food, flexible hours, generous gratuities
Good staff appreciation programs
Kitchen Coordinator / Administrator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 22, 2016
Nice work environment, the staffs are friendly and have good customer service skill and always pay attention to details. Organization Health & Safety a priority.
Encourages strong culture
Banquet Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 25, 2016
Very big team
Learned to adapt to working with different colleagues every shift
Straight forward with assigning tasks
Variety of hard workers
the job over all was productive and fun.
Banquet Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 18, 2015
The people were nice, and I was trained well. The hours were always fair and you got to choose your own shifts. There was also a discount on food for employees.
fun and enjoyable meeting new people every shift
Banquet Server (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 25, 2015
at work i meet new faces every shift , i gain new friends and knowledge from everyone i work with.
Hardest part of the job is that you will carry a big and heavy trays.
Pros
Every Night Something New and Exciting!
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 10, 2014
Hardest part of the job is either standing for hours or figuring out how to get around the staff hall ways. I most enjoy interacting with my co-workers and the clients. Every night is something different. You can be working anything from a wedding to a rave and if youre into that variety this is the job for you.
Pros
really cheap supper!
Cons
sometimes the supervisors are hard on you even if there are no customers around...
Banquet Customer Service
Banquet Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 5, 2015
Banquet Customer Service

Part time job

I learned How to use good attitude and services to make sure customers are satisfied and happy.

at Shaw Conference Centre, 9797 Jasper Avenue NW Edmonton, AB
Productive and a fast paced environment to work in.
Banquet Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 17, 2014
For a typical day, that I experienced, it was very busy and had a somewhat chaotic feeling to it, when everyone was placed into teams and sent to wait on the patrons. And when your shift was finished it felt like all of the tension that was built up during the stress induced pace crumpled to relief when we were brought into the back room to relax and go over how we did and where some of us could improve. The management there is what kept every team involved and on track, and the teams that you were placed on had a team leader and another team member to help around and assist when needed or wanted. If I was to state one thing that was the hardest part of the job, it would be carrying the service trays that held the food and drinks. Since the trays had to have weighed at least 25lbs. However, the most enjoyable part of this job experience was that the teams were interconnected and the people that were also working there had very friendly auras and personalities.
always busy and on my feet alot
Banquet Attendant (Former Employee) –  edmonton, ABMay 17, 2013
was never really into the customer service industry but this was an energetic job and fun while doing it.
Pros
great boss
Cons
customers were very rude
Great place and flexible hours
Banquet Server (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AlbertaSeptember 10, 2012
Perfect part-time job for a student. Downtown close to schools, colleges, shopping centers.
Shaw
Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 21, 2014
Only worked as a part time when they had big functions as a weddings, conferences, and meetings.
Pros
undersurvised
Cons
n/a
A Flexible and Dynamic Workplace and Interesting on some Occasions
Banquet Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 24, 2014
A shifting and dynamic workplace that changes depending on the season, events and holidays. Every work day is different other than the events that takes place through few consecutive days.

The usual shift may be long or short depending on the amount of stress and work that must be done, ranging from usual days of calm portering to a long, busy day of providing service.

In my personal opinion, workers are casual somewhat tend to not demonstrate any professional skills, however the Shaw Conference not requiring skills and experience to work, which should not be taken into considerations. Works are however coordinated and diverse and can sometimes be pleasant to work with.

The workplace requires strength and much stamina and proves to be tiring and overly demanding on work days that are busy and long.

Many Shaw supervisors of banquets lack sophistication and civilized standards towards to workers, contrast to captains of the banquets department who are better mannered and level-headed.

The management lacks consideration for workers sometimes to charging workers for meals as not regarding amount of foods wasted after big events is ridiculous, but compensates with showing appreciation to the workers an being a flexible and friendly workplace and hosting special events for workers certainly makes up for any short in management.

The workplace allows flexible booking of work schedules and having freedom to a vacation break as long as there are no pending work shifts currently booked.
Pros
booking work shifts freely, choose when to work, does not requires much experience, setting my own schedules, flexible schedule of work, very appealing during special events, can work on interesting events such as concerts and boxing matches and christmas
Cons
very demanding on stamina, heavy lifting, long hours standing, lacking use of technical skills, physical and labour work than intellectual, no skill requirements, lacking professional work environment
Environnement de travail agréable
Hôte événementiel (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 6, 2014
Horaires de travail flexibles
Les repas subventionnés
Programmes de reconnaissance du personnel
Un environnement de travail stimulant
des salaires compétitifs