Shaw Communications

Shaw Communications Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
not really a great job
Outbound sales representative (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 2, 2016
the company has no regards for there employees, the hours are horrible and most supervisors are power hungry. not really a great place to work at.
Great work life Balance
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 18, 2016
Fun working environment with great work-life balance.
Great daily support and development.
Great benefits and employee perks.
Dedicated agent support.
Great for honing in on special areas which are fcused on a daily basis
CSR Billing Rep (Current Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 19, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: None
Great for honing in on special areas which are focused on a daily basis.
The people make going to work a pleasant experience and the supervisors are supportive and involved in the progression of the staff.
hard working for sure
TSR (Former Employee), CalgarySeptember 18, 2013
Pros: benefits from day one
Cons: being treated as if being under servitude with no hope of becoming free
Having worked at Shaw I can honestly say that they are probably the worst employer I have ever worked for. All management does is criticize front end staff and in all my time there I never got one compliment for doing a good job on anything. They have a zero tolerance for any absenteeism and expect you to buy into their culture, of which they never tell you what it is. They promote work/life balance but do not practice it. If you want to work there be prepared for up to 5 different start times in a one week period and definitely don't expect to get a Saturday or Sunday off. As you will be hired as permanent part time note that your schedule is only done for three weeks ahead and good luck trying to take vacation. In this time I was there I was unable to get any vacation time as it was never available. The wages are non competitive and management is definitely incompetent to say the least.
Great company to work with as long as you don't get tangled in office politics
Data Analyst (Former Employee), CalgaryNovember 18, 2014
Pros: health benefits, vacation time, advancement opportunities
Cons: flaky management at times, constant reorganization
Great company to work with but recently they have been doing a lot of reorgs which results in a lot of layoffs.
But all in all, if you play your cards right, there are a lot of opportunities for advancement.
Working at Shaw
Product Specialist (Former Employee), VancouverApril 17, 2016
Great fast paced environment. Lots of learning. You are told there is lots of opportunity to grow, but it is in fact very limited.
Fun workplace
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 10, 2016
A nice place to work at if you have a knack for sales and customer service. emphasis is placed on building good relationship with the clients.
POsitive envoirnment
Customer Service Representative-Sales (Current Employee), calgaryFebruary 23, 2015
Like my job, great people, good benefits
job advancement opp, less job security

overall a good company to work with.
jjk k ll l l kl kl l k k l
It was wonderful to work with bunch of highly enthusiastic people, had one of the best working environments, really appreciate their work ethics.
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 5, 2014
Pros: super energetic working environment
Cons: less vacations
Everyday life was never boring. People around us were amazing, very helpful, managers and supervisors were always helping us to upgrade our skills every single day. Highly competitive working environment, everyday we used to compete by teams or individuals. There were good commission, prizes for achieving goals and benefits. Well, I barely felt anything hard to attain in that company, everyone was so helpful that nothing seemed hard. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people, the supervisors, it was such a friendly working place, we enjoyed our work all the time!
A large organization still run like a family business - it doesn't work
Sales (Former Employee), AlbertaApril 16, 2013
Pros: good pay, nice benefits
Cons: bad leadership and management
The company is significantly behind on its internal technology despite being a technology company. This means getting work done is tedious and difficult because of ancient systems and outdated processes.
Management is primarily comprised of internal hires. If you "grew up" in the company and if people "like you" then you'll stand a better chance at advancement. Qualifications sometimes don't matter and this creates a top heavy organization comprised of leaders who don't know what they're doing.
Fun energetic workplace
Technical Support Rep (Current Employee), Calgary ABJune 28, 2014
Pros: positive workplace, fun coworkers, great benefits
Cons: late shifts, no weekends off, split days off
I do enjoy this job. It is a very fun and positive environment.
I enjoy working with so many different people and personalities and having the freedom to choose where I set up my desk for the day.
I have gained a huge amount of customer service experience and technical support troubleshooting of electronics that I can bring with me for the rest of my life.
As many good sides of working in such a positive and fun place. I have sacrificed alot of my personal life. I have not had a consistent schedule since working there. I have never had a weekend off, most of my days off are split and I work the midnight shift. Since Shaw is open 365 I have had to work Christmas Day as well as New Years Day straight until 12:15am. In December Shaw had lost alot of customers in which they cut our hours dramatically. I have lost time with my family and friends and sacrificed a social life of working weekends and nights for this job.
Fumbling topheavy leadership
Technician (Former Employee), CalgaryDecember 7, 2012
Pros: free shirts + employee social events
Cons: no pension plan
My time at Shaw was a maze of department shuffles with each new manager/regional manager/supervisor having a vision that was not congruent with the last. Sometimes long term employees are advanced but lack the skills for the job. Politics! Demand to get job done faster...while having frequent mandatory meetings to discuss progress. Family oriented with twice yearly gatherings for family events that were enjoyable for all. Minimal increases and few perks. Some benefits. I left to go to Telus for the better wages, and pension plan that only a union can guarantee. Having said that, there are many days I regret my decision.
Good team values employer
HFC Analyst (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCSeptember 14, 2012
Pros: company benifits
Cons: graveyards (but they had to be done)
In an ever changing landscape, Shaw does keep its focus on the landscape. Work included monitoring network and keeping information up to date. Learned system inside and out. Management was helpful and always there.

Co-workers worked together well and had to be team players for dept to function. The job could get stressful due to the size of the area when multiple issues had to be dealt with at the same time.

Most enjoyable aspect of the job would be the satisfaction of a job well done and the learning of new things in relation to the job tasks at hand.
Productive workplace with great work/life balance.
In Home Support/ Administrator (Current Employee), Vancouver BCDecember 3, 2013
Pros: great salary, lots of room for growth.
Shaw is a company that appreciates their employees and goes above and beyond to show them quarter after quarter. Recognition is at no shortage when it comes to Shaw & they truly appreciate hard working dedicated individuals.

Shaw has really expanded my interpersonal skills. The team I help to support consists of over 500 people that all rely on my skills and knowledge regarding the the internal tools, packaging & our DOS system. With my current role, I had to become resourceful and teach myself Microsoft Excel, beyond a basic knowledge. I helped to create formulas and trackers for our entire Vancouver System (including the lower mainland)

The hardest, yet most enjoyable part of role is the ever changing and evolving atmosphere we work in. This means I'm required to learn and adapt to my evolving role each day.
Couldn't care less about employees
UBE (Current Employee), WinnipegJuly 2, 2013
Pros: pay and benefits
Cons: poor treatment and abusive environment
In my 10+ years with shaw Winnipeg I can't recall a single person retiring happy. They treat the installers like cattle and occasionally fire a few to keep the rest in line. They love talking about Shaw Values but this clearly doesn't involve the employees. The pay and benefits are good but get ready to trade your mental health and self worth for it. They claim to have a open culture where new ideas are welcome but speak up in a meeting and see what happens.
Perhaps it's different for the office workers but the installers get no respect.

July 8, 2013

true story - Nanaimo Bc UBE installer

Decent job, awful hours
Workforce (Former Employee), EdmontonJune 24, 2014
Pros: job culture, social activities, christmas party
Cons: rotation, questionable management, job security
The job culture and the salary were great, but the hours sucked and there was no time for really any home life activities.Also, in my position the team I worked with did a questionable amount of work which led a few of us to take on extra workload with no consequences thrown at the others.
Toxic environment. Mediocre management.
Customer Relations (Former Employee), Montréal, TorontoMay 19, 2014
Pros: salary, benefits, rebates
Cons: management, supervisors, schedules, environment
Shaw is something alright. At first (in training) they wrap you up in their propaganda. They seem almost unbelievable. And they are. They prone their supposed values (integrity, loyalty, respect etc) but boy do they NOT abide by them.
Management is like a little posse clique and if they don't like you, you can start counting your days no matter how good an employee you are. You can only advance depending on how much behind you kiss. They give incentives but you have to fight for WEEKS to get the commissions you deserve AND you have to verify each and every paycheck to make sure you got the money you worked for. They revel in their mediocrity and their lack of professionalism is mind boggling.
They have no respect for their customers and even less for their employee. The lies and things they do to their customers will make you cringe as a human being with a minimal of empathy. For your own good look elsewhere its not worth it. They hire and fire people at an alarming rate and boy do they lie. They've been sued by so many former employees (who won!) Its ridiculous.
Upbeat office environment
Customer Solutions Expert (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCMay 15, 2015
Pros: time off phones, free food, games
Cons: hours, constant rejection from customers
High stress position but balanced because of great support system, very relaxed and fun office environment. Typical day at work consists of following up with previous customers, calling new customers while having meetings in between to have management provide updates, keep the energy going and pick me ups.
Great co workers, very easy going and friendly as well as management. Amazing support system. Someone is always there to be a helping hand when you need it.

Best part of the job is the people, the leadership, and the effort they make to keep everyone in high spirits.
Shaw is great place to work.
Loyalty Care Representative (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJune 26, 2015
Pros: Free Tee & Coffee
As a loyalty care representative handling customer interaction isn’t always easy, since every interaction is unique and different customers present different challenge. Below I have put together all the things I do in order to keep quality performance expectation. Speak clearly and professionally at all time with every customer. Understanding of the product and service make me more confidence to success. Showing empathy with customer and deliver genuine supportiveness are there to help. Lastly I always try to gain customer trust focusing on customer needs this approach will build customer trust and long-term customer equity.
Fun work environment, with many career opportunities.
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 21, 2015
Great place to work, and all the staff are nice and friendly. Great location to work downtown at the Shaw Tower. Good company to work for.
Headquarters