Shaw Communications

Shaw Communications Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
a good and productive place to work
Customer Solutions Expert (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 25, 2016
i really liked my time working here. the workers are very good and friendly, the management staff were incredible as they always wanted to help an employee become better.
An outstanding and very successful family run Company
CLEC Services Representative (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 2, 2015
Pros: The most wonderful people, An outstanding company that truly values outstanding customer service, Hard work and dedication goes a long way
Cons: Very difficult to obtain a position in Calgary with most work now being done in Victoria
I truly loved every day that I was employed with Shaw Communications and could not say one negative thing about the company. Now that I have my child though I am unable to work a full-time position and excited about a new part-time opportunity that can keep me busy and feeling fulfilled.
Great work life Balance
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 18, 2016
Fun working environment with great work-life balance.
Great daily support and development.
Great benefits and employee perks.
Dedicated agent support.
Overall impression
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee), Montréal, QCDecember 25, 2015
Pros: Occasional events, parties and seasonal gatherings
Cons: Repetitive pattern of calls and problems makes the job monotonous
The company nurtures a sense of family and unity. Supervisors, managers and representatives collaborate the most possible to the benefit of the reputation of the company.
Working at Shaw
Product Specialist (Former Employee), VancouverApril 17, 2016
Great fast paced environment. Lots of learning. You are told there is lots of opportunity to grow, but it is in fact very limited.
Productive, with amazing staff. Internal opportunities.
Trainer (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 12, 2015
Shaw is a dynamic company with a family atmosphere, plenty of opportunity for advancement and fun work environment. Team leaders and Management are very supportive and will work to make sure you are in the right role for you
hard working for sure
TSR (Former Employee), CalgarySeptember 18, 2013
Pros: benefits from day one
Cons: being treated as if being under servitude with no hope of becoming free
Having worked at Shaw I can honestly say that they are probably the worst employer I have ever worked for. All management does is criticize front end staff and in all my time there I never got one compliment for doing a good job on anything. They have a zero tolerance for any absenteeism and expect you to buy into their culture, of which they never tell you what it is. They promote work/life balance but do not practice it. If you want to work there be prepared for up to 5 different start times in a one week period and definitely don't expect to get a Saturday or Sunday off. As you will be hired as permanent part time note that your schedule is only done for three weeks ahead and good luck trying to take vacation. In this time I was there I was unable to get any vacation time as it was never available. The wages are non competitive and management is definitely incompetent to say the least.
Great for honing in on special areas which are fcused on a daily basis
CSR Billing Rep (Current Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 19, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: None
Great for honing in on special areas which are focused on a daily basis.
The people make going to work a pleasant experience and the supervisors are supportive and involved in the progression of the staff.
Fun workplace
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 10, 2016
A nice place to work at if you have a knack for sales and customer service. emphasis is placed on building good relationship with the clients.
Upbeat office environment
Customer Solutions Expert (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCMay 15, 2015
Pros: time off phones, free food, games
Cons: hours, constant rejection from customers
High stress position but balanced because of great support system, very relaxed and fun office environment. Typical day at work consists of following up with previous customers, calling new customers while having meetings in between to have management provide updates, keep the energy going and pick me ups.
Great co workers, very easy going and friendly as well as management. Amazing support system. Someone is always there to be a helping hand when you need it.

Best part of the job is the people, the leadership, and the effort they make to keep everyone in high spirits.
More interested in profits than workers
Installation and Service Lead Technician / Trainer (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 15, 2015
Pros: good benefits
Cons: no respect, safety always second to profits
This position was challenging dealing with the constant drive for numbers with safety and the well being of the worker coming second to profits. If you don't want to do an unsafe job. We can give someone all your work to do, and replace you. Long hours, and weekends, and all stats must be worked including Christmas and New Years. again, if you don't want to work Christmas we will just replace you.
Family run organization, dynamic company, interesting industry
Manager Billing & Enterprise Applications (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 10, 2015
Definitely a company still heavily influenced by the Shaw family and their culture. This is neither a good nor a bad thing but something to be aware of. I enjoyed the people I worked with and the work I did.
Can't type more than 20 WPM? Don't know what a fiber optic line is? You're hired!
CSR (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJuly 18, 2014
Pros: free tea, coffee. cafeteria on site.
Cons: management
I really enjoyed the actual job. I could answer the phones and talk to customers all day, every day. The problem with Shaw is the work *environment*.

They preach from day one that this is a great place, and everyone loves each other, and the main reason they hired us was because we "fit into the culture". Why would you only hire people that all think the same?! How can you improve as a company and have new ideas when everyone just repeat each other? I had some people in my training class that couldn't even type 20 words a minute.

Management was unsupportive and literally went out of their way to ignore my attempts at contacting them for help with improving my skills as a CSR over the course of several months.

In summary: No job stability or room for advancement, kiss butt or die, keep your head down and join a clique, because it doesn't matter how good you are at the job, it's if you FIT IN.

Also, WHY are they hiring when they just laid-off ~380 people?!

(The office in Winnipeg is a very nice building, I'll give them that!)
Very well paid job with little job security
Technical Field Representative (TFR) (Former Employee), Abbotsford, BCDecember 8, 2014
Pros: medical benefits, staff discount
Cons: management is incapable of following through with promises, the company at large treats you as a number - there's no loyalty from the company.
The work is outdoor/indoor. Scope of responsibilities included all wiring from the pole at the street or pedestal to the customer's equipment.
It was my job to install new outlets as required as well.

You are required to work fast and efficiently either on your own or part of a team. My favorite part of the job was being able to do my job without somebody breathing down my neck

Benefits were fantastic.
IT
Technical Service Representative (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBAugust 8, 2015
Great Company. Fun place to work at. Very supportive management.
Every day its a new challenge. Very friendly envoirnment.
Great company to work with as long as you don't get tangled in office politics
Data Analyst (Former Employee), CalgaryNovember 18, 2014
Pros: health benefits, vacation time, advancement opportunities
Cons: flaky management at times, constant reorganization
Great company to work with but recently they have been doing a lot of reorgs which results in a lot of layoffs.
But all in all, if you play your cards right, there are a lot of opportunities for advancement.
A large organization still run like a family business - it doesn't work
Sales (Former Employee), AlbertaApril 16, 2013
Pros: good pay, nice benefits
Cons: bad leadership and management
The company is significantly behind on its internal technology despite being a technology company. This means getting work done is tedious and difficult because of ancient systems and outdated processes.
Management is primarily comprised of internal hires. If you "grew up" in the company and if people "like you" then you'll stand a better chance at advancement. Qualifications sometimes don't matter and this creates a top heavy organization comprised of leaders who don't know what they're doing.
Decent job, awful hours
Workforce (Former Employee), EdmontonJune 24, 2014
Pros: job culture, social activities, christmas party
Cons: rotation, questionable management, job security
The job culture and the salary were great, but the hours sucked and there was no time for really any home life activities.Also, in my position the team I worked with did a questionable amount of work which led a few of us to take on extra workload with no consequences thrown at the others.
Productive and fun place to work, for sure.
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCSeptember 10, 2014
Pros: great people, excellent pay, excellent health benefits.
Cons: some management, commute (downtown).
Loved my time at Shaw, I think its one of the best companies in Canada to work for.
Typical day at work was answering calls from customers, sometimes with less stress, sometimes with more, depending on is there outages or not.
Twice a week there was Healthy Snack, where you can get one piece of fruit and small yogurt.
I learned a lot about team work and met some great people.
About Shaw's management, I will just say that your people are what makes your company, do not treat them as criminals.
My co-workers are some of the best people I have met, always ready to help, curious and polite.
Hardest part of the job was leaving Shaw, nothing was hard for me to do, at Shaw.
Most enjoyable part of the job was sense of belonging, teamwork with people who walk customers shoes and they do it in world class environment with an awesome view of harbor.
ok
Project Coordinator (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 6, 2015
good place to start your career, management is inflexible and does not change very fast. Culture is not encouraging, not innovative.
Headquarters