Shaw Communications

Shaw Communications Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee), NanaimoMay 15, 2014
Shaw was a great company. Benefits were fantastic. The staff were friendly with each other. HR events regularly. We even met the CEO in person. I didn't care for my job as tech support as the customers tended to call in angry on a regular basis. I probably would have preferred Customer Service.
provided a great learning experience
technology (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 12, 2014
Was involved with a number of initiatives and worked with a lot of great people.
Great company with great perks!
Business Development Specialist (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 5, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: due to the size, processes and structure, delivery of product lifecycle is extremely long
Shaw is a great organization to work for - especially if you enjoy working in forward-thinking company. Great pay, great benefits and very friendly people.
Sub par
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 5, 2014
I answer calls, make payment arrangements, explain the bill. This is a great company but this is a good job if you don't need guaranteed income, and are great with sales. It's part time, so the hours are flexible. It's shift work, so every week, it's a different schedule.
A fun and upbeat work environment
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONApril 29, 2014
Pros: consistent fun environment and friendly competitions
Cons: late night rotations canbe hard on families with small children
We provided customer care to satellite customers on a 24 hour basis. All staff worked 8 hour shifts and seniority and great work ethic impacted this positively. The hardest part of the job was switching rotation hours and the easiest part of the job was dealing with so many different customers every day.
Company with no morals
CS (Former Employee), Nanaimo,BCApril 16, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: no job security, very poor managers and supervisors.
How is this company hiring, when it just laid off 391 employees across Canada. There is no job security here. Anyone and everyone that has worked for this company all wait for the black Mondays, common term around the Nanaimo office.
It was wonderful to work with bunch of highly enthusiastic people, had one of the best working environments, really appreciate their work ethics.
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 5, 2014
Pros: super energetic working environment
Cons: less vacations
Everyday life was never boring. People around us were amazing, very helpful, managers and supervisors were always helping us to upgrade our skills every single day. Highly competitive working environment, everyday we used to compete by teams or individuals. There were good commission, prizes for achieving goals and benefits. Well, I barely felt anything hard to attain in that company, everyone was so helpful that nothing seemed hard. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people, the supervisors, it was such a friendly working place, we enjoyed our work all the time!
Always working to develop new strategies to make the work enviornment a better place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONApril 2, 2014
The hardest part of the job is the lack of breaks between calls.

Management needs to be more up to date on current offers within the work place. Better and advanced training needs to be put in place for mangement, this includes supervisors.

The co-workers are great for the most part.
Amazing company to work for
Loyalty Care Representative (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 23, 2014
Cons: shift work
I have worked at Shaw Communications for the past 7 years. I have moved through out the company and have enjoyed learning about the different aspects of the business.

The individuals that I work are very welcoming and knowledgeable. We have create an amazing atmosphere to come to every day.
The worst place to work
Test Lead (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 20, 2014
Pros: 50% on shaw products.
Cons: bad work environment; long hours
The bosses are bossy.
The project managers are incompetent.
Most of people are not so friendly.
They don't like foreign people; I felt sometimes some harassment.
They don't incentive the team building; the competition is incentive instead.
Not recommend for IT people; please consider another job.
Graveyard Surprises
Tech Support Rep (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 17, 2014
Have to keep your cool without going out of control. As with the shift I am in, you need to be in many hats and understanding the customers needs.
A great place to work
CTO (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 18, 2014
A dynamic and fun environment with high people values in a leading technology area.
Good environment.
Customer Solutions Expert (Current Employee), Calgary, AlbertaFebruary 9, 2014
Customer service.
Management is good
co workers are good
work life balance is hard.
the culture.
NA
Technical Support/Customer Service (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 6, 2014
Good salary
More work/life balance is required
Shaw
Business Sales/Customer Solutions Specialist (Former Employee), Kelowna BCFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: good benifits
Cons: very stressful enviroment
Good short time employment. They start off good but once you are trained it's all down hill. It's not what you know but who you know at this company. Good luck with advancement if you are not in with the in crowd.

Hard work good pay but once they think they've milked you dry or they need to make room for someone else they become bullies and spare no mercy.
Great company and company values
Commercial Installer and Sales (Former Employee), Vancouver and Prince GeorgeJanuary 13, 2014
Pros: lots of prizes and staff incentives
Cons: -40 degrees weather
Shaw Cable was a great company to work and I gained a lot of knowledge from my time with the company.
fun place to work, management not so friendly
Technical Support Consultant (Current Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 26, 2013
Pros: inexpensive cafeteria food that tastes great. good benefits
Cons: supervisors and management has a non chalant air about them and not very friendly.
great co workers, and fun work environment. their benefits package is amazing. but the supervisors are difficult to get along with.
TSR
TSR (Former Employee), EdmontonDecember 26, 2013
Pros: na
Cons: na
Call centre inbound calls duties, cable and internet issues.
extremely non-professional environment
QA Analyst (Current Employee), CaglaryDecember 6, 2013
Shaw is not a good place to work
1. No processes are defined
2. Management want to get the work done in their estimated time
3. If there are delays in project due to any valid reason non of those are consider and you have to finish to task on time
4. There is so much politics and managers are like to practice a lot of favoritism
5. if you are good with a manager you can get hire you wife even if she does not know anything about computers
6. Managers treat their team like slaves
7.Sitting place is an open environment so there is lot of distraction due to the noise created the people laughing , gossiping , joking , yelling doing everything except work.
overall its a true non-professional enviroment
Run don't walk away from this place.
Talent at Shaw TV (Former Employee), EdmontonNovember 30, 2013
Pros: benefits, & triple play rate deductions.
Cons: management - in particular the supervisors are bullies, very cliquey, high school mentality
Shaw itself is a great company to work for with amazing perks, benefits and advancement possibilities.

However, for some departments, if you are not part of the popular clique, you're looked down upon, mocked, or ignored - until one of the in crowd wants something - then they're your best friend.

Dare to say no, for any reason, to any clique member request and before you know it, you're pulled into managements office, tag teamed or triple teamed, and being accused of not being a team player or worse.

Shaw prefers its employees to have a sheep like mentality. Dare to have an original thought and again, you're cast out as being not a team player.

The management team rarely recognized the hard work, drive and determination of non preferred team members. Instead, these true team players were ridiculed, sometimes publicly mocked, and again ostracized. They were often used as a lesson for other non preferred staff members - to get in line or this will happen to you.

HR was no better than the management team - often taking their cues from the management team. Go to them with a grievance, and again, you're cast out as not being a team player and you will pay for trying to stand up for yourself.

It's been awhile since I worked at Shaw, but the scars of being bullied day in and day out are still quite fresh. I now work for a company with an amazing manager / supervisor and team. The very things I used to be mocked, or bullied for at shaw - I'm routinely rewarded and recognized for. My current team works together for the greater good of the company. This unfortunately was not the case at Shaw TV Edmonton.

Until Shaw TV Edmonton management, in particular the supervisors, can live the company values they clearly have no problem shoving down their employee's throat, and treats all employees equally, I would highly recommend to run not walk away from this place.