Shaw Communications

Shaw Communications Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Very supportive management
Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 24, 2013
Had a long and great career at Shaw. The management team is extremely supportive.
hard working for sure
TSR (Former Employee), CalgarySeptember 18, 2013
Pros: benefits from day one
Cons: being treated as if being under servitude with no hope of becoming free
Having worked at Shaw I can honestly say that they are probably the worst employer I have ever worked for. All management does is criticize front end staff and in all my time there I never got one compliment for doing a good job on anything. They have a zero tolerance for any absenteeism and expect you to buy into their culture, of which they never – more... tell you what it is. They promote work/life balance but do not practice it. If you want to work there be prepared for up to 5 different start times in a one week period and definitely don't expect to get a Saturday or Sunday off. As you will be hired as permanent part time note that your schedule is only done for three weeks ahead and good luck trying to take vacation. In this time I was there I was unable to get any vacation time as it was never available. The wages are non competitive and management is definitely incompetent to say the least. – less
cliquey and unrewarding
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 24, 2013
Pros: windows
Cons: lots
call centre grind, meaningless and sad work with little incentive, bottom of the barrel wages...no wonder they can't keep staff
Shaw is a great company to work for.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Kelowna, BCAugust 21, 2013
Pros: annual bonus sharing, discounted shaw service
Cons: older building, lack of parking
A typical day at Shaw is always busy. The Retention department allows more time on the phone with customers to provide a more personal touch. We do get some escalated customers, so need to handle with care.
I have learned to be a better listener, have more patience, and show empathy, allowing customers to explain their understanding of the service with – more... Shaw.
Management at Shaw, we feel empowered and respected.
We are in a smaller department and have become a cohesive team. Outside activities together also help bonding.
Hardest part of the job, customers who have already made up their minds about Shaw and do not wish to discuss alternative options for their accounts.
Most enjoyable part of the job are my friends I have made at Shaw. – less
Flexible work place, great benefits
Customer Services Representative (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 11, 2013
Pros: benefits and perks
Cons: shift work, and sales push
Good place to work, great benefits and perks. Co workers were good to be around and a lot of nice people. Management was very understanding and easy to approach. Dealing daily with rude and angry customers could get stressful at times.
Couldn't care less about employees
UBE (Current Employee), WinnipegJuly 2, 2013
Pros: pay and benefits
Cons: poor treatment and abusive environment
In my 10+ years with shaw Winnipeg I can't recall a single person retiring happy. They treat the installers like cattle and occasionally fire a few to keep the rest in line. They love talking about Shaw Values but this clearly doesn't involve the employees. The pay and benefits are good but get ready to trade your mental health and self worth for it. – more... They claim to have a open culture where new ideas are welcome but speak up in a meeting and see what happens.
Perhaps it's different for the office workers but the installers get no respect. – less

July 8, 2013

true story - Nanaimo Bc UBE installer

Great family run business with exceptional values!
MANAGER, OFFICE SERVICES (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 26, 2013
Pros: great core values
The most enjoyable part of my job was the opportunity to work with so many senior executives of Shaw Communications and their/our staff. I have made a lot of friends at Shaw and am proud to have had the experience.
Rapid Testing, Mobile Testing, Typical QA Jobs in Agile
Sr. QA Tester (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 25, 2013
Manual Testing - Media and Telecom Application.
Mobile Testing.
Weekly QA Reports.
QA Meetings.
Engagement Meetings.
Jira, Bugzilla, Omniture, Mindmap.
Rapid Testing
Agile Methodology
A Caucasian Organization
CSR (Former Employee), calgaryMay 21, 2013
Pros: assured hours
Cons: mostly caucasian managers
It's not what you know but who you know matters ...............for your growth.You would rarely find any one other than caucasians in a managerial/supervisor position...though thay claim to have diversity at work place....only at the entry level positions. If you are young women,specially white...... you can be promoted to supervisor level, even if – more... you have barely finished training and have no clue of the work.

Rampant napotism in CSR lead by its caucasian managers.HR wo'nt care since they themselves deploy every trick to discriminate against people so you only find caucasians in that department.Not a place for asians and africans.They can only grow if they please their white managers. – less
Shaw Cable
Technical Support Representative - 2nd Tier (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 13, 2013
Pros: great team environment
Cons: start times ranged from 7:00am to 3:30pm, shifts ending from 3:30 pm to 12:00am
Shaw Cable is the leader in the entertainment and communications in western Canada. During my time at Shaw I have acquired skills that relate to every facet of team work and management, being such a dynamic company you have to move fast and learn quick!
very productive and the people who worked there made it enjoyable
Inside Sales rep (Former Employee), winnipegApril 21, 2013
Pros: job reliability
Cons: long hours
Long hours, but every month some new company events ways to imrpove your career and earn more income. Very fun atmosphere.
Terrible environment
sales rep (Former Employee), calgaryApril 17, 2013
toxic environment
incompetent management
below par salary
terrible environment
A large organization still run like a family business - it doesn't work
Sales (Former Employee), AlbertaApril 16, 2013
Pros: good pay, nice benefits
Cons: bad leadership and management
The company is significantly behind on its internal technology despite being a technology company. This means getting work done is tedious and difficult because of ancient systems and outdated processes.
Management is primarily comprised of internal hires. If you "grew up" in the company and if people "like you" then you'll stand a better chance at – more... advancement. Qualifications sometimes don't matter and this creates a top heavy organization comprised of leaders who don't know what they're doing. – less
Business division lost
Business Sales Consultant (Former Employee), BCApril 15, 2013
Pros: staff discount
Cons: non-inspiring leadership
Pay is good. Shaw residential is well run, but the Shaw Business is run by yes men switching campaigns and focus mid-stream and demoralizing and alienating staff. When I was there, people could not wait to get out of Shaw Business fast enough.
I have worked in professional environments before, but this was not one of them. Reps were fighting over leads – more... like it was the Octagon. Infighting was tolerated and encouraged by pitting different channels against each other. Great tactic to get the sale in the short term, but cancerous to morale and motivation in the long term. – less
Fun and Exciting
CSR (Current Employee), EdmontonApril 15, 2013
Pros: complimentary healthy snacks, sales incentives
Cons: shift work
It was a fun, dymamic, and fun place to work. Lots of energy.
Lots of great team players, and opportunities to move up in the business.
Very goog place to work
Sr. S/W Architect (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 30, 2013
If you want to do something by yourself, this is the place, at least the team I worked with
Very goog place to work
Sr. S/W Architect (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 30, 2013
Very bad management
Technician (Current Employee), CalgaryMarch 12, 2013
I am working there almost 10 years
No respect at all
You need to be a "yes man" sir if you want to work there.
Fulfilling work environment
Business Sales Support (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 8, 2013
Pros: incentives, team building events, great location
Encouraged independent thinking. Positive work environment, co-workers always willing to help. Management very approachable.
Very stressful and fast paced environment
Sales and Customer Service Executive (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONFebruary 6, 2013
Pros: great pay, benefits
Cons: very stressful and paid a price for those benefits with your health and mental peace.
The job itself @ the call center was highly stressful,demanding and fast paced,dealing with irate customers all the time,which was made worse by an even more demanding target driven slave driver of a manager,with bad to worse shifts!!!
The entire experience was a pure nightmare which landed up having adverse effects on my health!!!