Shaw Communications

Shaw Communications Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Couldn't care less about employees
UBE (Current Employee), WinnipegJuly 2, 2013
Pros: pay and benefits
Cons: poor treatment and abusive environment
In my 10+ years with shaw Winnipeg I can't recall a single person retiring happy. They treat the installers like cattle and occasionally fire a few to keep the rest in line. They love talking about Shaw Values but this clearly doesn't involve the employees. The pay and benefits are good but get ready to trade your mental health and self worth for it. – more... They claim to have a open culture where new ideas are welcome but speak up in a meeting and see what happens.
Perhaps it's different for the office workers but the installers get no respect. – less

NanUBE – July 8, 2013

true story - Nanaimo Bc UBE installer

Great family run business with exceptional values!
MANAGER, OFFICE SERVICES (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 26, 2013
Pros: great core values
The most enjoyable part of my job was the opportunity to work with so many senior executives of Shaw Communications and their/our staff. I have made a lot of friends at Shaw and am proud to have had the experience.
Rapid Testing, Mobile Testing, Typical QA Jobs in Agile
Sr. QA Tester (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 25, 2013
Manual Testing - Media and Telecom Application.
Mobile Testing.
Weekly QA Reports.
QA Meetings.
Engagement Meetings.
Jira, Bugzilla, Omniture, Mindmap.
Rapid Testing
Agile Methodology
A Caucasian Organization
CSR (Former Employee), calgaryMay 21, 2013
Pros: assured hours
Cons: mostly caucasian managers
It's not what you know but who you know matters ...............for your growth.You would rarely find any one other than caucasians in a managerial/supervisor position...though thay claim to have diversity at work place....only at the entry level positions. If you are young women,specially white...... you can be promoted to supervisor level, even if – more... you have barely finished training and have no clue of the work.

Rampant napotism in CSR lead by its caucasian managers.HR wo'nt care since they themselves deploy every trick to discriminate against people so you only find caucasians in that department.Not a place for asians and africans.They can only grow if they please their white managers. – less
Shaw Cable
Technical Support Representative - 2nd Tier (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 13, 2013
Pros: great team environment
Cons: start times ranged from 7:00am to 3:30pm, shifts ending from 3:30 pm to 12:00am
Shaw Cable is the leader in the entertainment and communications in western Canada. During my time at Shaw I have acquired skills that relate to every facet of team work and management, being such a dynamic company you have to move fast and learn quick!
very productive and the people who worked there made it enjoyable
Inside Sales rep (Former Employee), winnipegApril 21, 2013
Pros: job reliability
Cons: long hours
Long hours, but every month some new company events ways to imrpove your career and earn more income. Very fun atmosphere.
Terrible environment
sales rep (Former Employee), calgaryApril 17, 2013
toxic environment
incompetent management
below par salary
terrible environment
A large organization still run like a family business - it doesn't work
Sales (Former Employee), AlbertaApril 16, 2013
Pros: good pay, nice benefits
Cons: bad leadership and management
The company is significantly behind on its internal technology despite being a technology company. This means getting work done is tedious and difficult because of ancient systems and outdated processes.
Management is primarily comprised of internal hires. If you "grew up" in the company and if people "like you" then you'll stand a better chance at – more... advancement. Qualifications sometimes don't matter and this creates a top heavy organization comprised of leaders who don't know what they're doing. – less
Business division lost
Business Sales Consultant (Former Employee), BCApril 15, 2013
Pros: staff discount
Cons: non-inspiring leadership
Pay is good. Shaw residential is well run, but the Shaw Business is run by yes men switching campaigns and focus mid-stream and demoralizing and alienating staff. When I was there, people could not wait to get out of Shaw Business fast enough.
I have worked in professional environments before, but this was not one of them. Reps were fighting over leads – more... like it was the Octagon. Infighting was tolerated and encouraged by pitting different channels against each other. Great tactic to get the sale in the short term, but cancerous to morale and motivation in the long term. – less
Fun and Exciting
CSR (Current Employee), EdmontonApril 15, 2013
Pros: complimentary healthy snacks, sales incentives
Cons: shift work
It was a fun, dymamic, and fun place to work. Lots of energy.
Lots of great team players, and opportunities to move up in the business.
Very goog place to work
Sr. S/W Architect (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 30, 2013
If you want to do something by yourself, this is the place, at least the team I worked with
Very goog place to work
Sr. S/W Architect (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 30, 2013
Very bad management
Technician (Current Employee), CalgaryMarch 12, 2013
I am working there almost 10 years
No respect at all
You need to be a "yes man" sir if you want to work there.
Very stressful and fast paced environment
Sales and Customer Service Executive (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONFebruary 6, 2013
Pros: great pay, benefits
Cons: very stressful and paid a price for those benefits with your health and mental peace.
The job itself @ the call center was highly stressful,demanding and fast paced,dealing with irate customers all the time,which was made worse by an even more demanding target driven slave driver of a manager,with bad to worse shifts!!!
The entire experience was a pure nightmare which landed up having adverse effects on my health!!!
Fumbling topheavy leadership
Technician (Former Employee), CalgaryDecember 7, 2012
Pros: free shirts + employee social events
Cons: no pension plan
My time at Shaw was a maze of department shuffles with each new manager/regional manager/supervisor having a vision that was not congruent with the last. Sometimes long term employees are advanced but lack the skills for the job. Politics! Demand to get job done faster...while having frequent mandatory meetings to discuss progress. Family oriented with – more... twice yearly gatherings for family events that were enjoyable for all. Minimal increases and few perks. Some benefits. I left to go to Telus for the better wages, and pension plan that only a union can guarantee. Having said that, there are many days I regret my decision. – less
very fun work place with lots of challanges
Sales Representative (Former Employee), nanaimoNovember 26, 2012
Pros: great employee discounts. great pay and oppertunities for commission
Cons: rude customers, problems with communication between other reps.
Shaw was a great place to work, i loved it there. the money, the people and the job its self was great.
FYI
Sales service representative (Former Employee), Montreal, qcOctober 10, 2012
Pros: free coffee, great benefits, good pay
Cons: horrible organization and management
Good pay, great benefits.... Horrible management. Company lacks organization and professionalism.
?
Inside Sales/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCOctober 2, 2012
Pros: good benifits, great co-workers and pay was alright
Cons: uneducated management, hours worked late sometimes
Helping cx's with their issues,
I have learned how to handle calls inbound and out and deal with escalations.
Co-workers were great and I wish them the best.
Management could be more educated I found in their roles.
Helping cx's figure out their bills and services.
Great People, values and work/life balance
Project Lead (Current Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 2, 2012
Collaborating with extremely talented team members daily to increase Shaw’s online presence with customers as been a wonderful experience, Shaw has been a great place to work that provided a great environment to work in.
It was a great 20 years at Shaw, a few ups and downs, but a great place to work
Supervisor, Customer Care (Former Employee), Nanaimo, BCSeptember 20, 2012
My day at Shaw was always, busy, exciting, lots of changes there was always something new happening.
What didn't I learn at Shaw: I had a great mentor who's guidance not only helped me with my career but my home life. It was a great experience that reminded me of the values we have and to practice them daily.. also patience.
I worked with the best people. – more... There was such a diversity among the teams that kept you on your toes and reminded you that everyone is different and has different learning curves.
Meetings could sometimes be daunting.. just too many, which took you away from being there for your team.
The people was the most enjoyable part of the job, plus the constant changes, always something new to learn which kept the job interesting and creative – less