Shaw Communications Employee Reviews in Canada

Great and ever growing company
Customer Care Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 5, 2015
Shaw promote's from within, so if you're willing to understand your role and work hard, great chances for advancement. They also have an excellent management training program

Only con for me - main head office/call center is located in downtown Vancouver so makes for quite the daily trek.
Pros
Chances for career advancement, excellent management training.
Cons
Long commute from suburbs
Fun place to work and good job/work life balance
Intermediate Accountant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 30, 2016
Overall Shaw Communication is a good place to work.

As an Accounting professional you must learn to stay current with new technologies.

The most enjoyable part of the job are the good team environment and comprehensive benefits that Shaw provides such as stock options and employee share plan.
Pros
7.5 working hours and earned day per quarter
Cons
Accounting software need updating
Exciting fast paced environment with a fun atmosphere
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 2, 2016
Was accountable for answering calls from new and existing customers, with a focus on technical support and promoting the features at shaw.
Management rewarded hard work and engagement
Fun atmosphere, stressful evironment
Customer Solutions Expert (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 5, 2016
A typical day at Shaw as a CSE is pretty stressful. Targets aren't attainable unless you're making sales the wrong way and if you're not reaching targets your hours are cut and you're at risk of being fired, BUT if you're making sales the WRONG way you get in trouble/written up too. It's really hard to do well.
A company full of opportunities
Product Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 17, 2016
Sky is the limit at Shaw Communications. We know of many individuals that started from the bottom and worked themselves all the way to the top positions in the company. Hard work will be able to get you any where in the company. The environment is diverse and full of talented people. A great place to work and a promising industry.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Can't think of any
fun workplace
bandwidth management team (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 17, 2016
Love the job and the company. I would of stayed at my job and not given a choice to relocate but I have a girlfriend and all of my family is here and that means more to me. I did appreciate everything Shaw has done for me and they did offer me my job to relocate which i respected. I hope i can grow within the company as i did with them.
Pros
great work place
Cons
some negative employees
enjoyable and interesting job with a great atmosphere
Technical Support Rep (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCMay 4, 2016
overall Shaw TSR was a great job with a rewarding future, but the corporate way is very much something to get used to as the positions are always subject to "reorganization".
Pros
70% of customer interaction, fun incentives and people to work with
Cons
Never feeling as though you have job security, regardless of time with company.
Poor Management
field (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 20, 2016
Managers have meetings all the time but they sure don't have a clue what each other are doing. If you kiss a---, you'll get ahead in this company but if you work, nobody will notice you because managers don't do their jobs.
Pros
A great place to work if you don't like working. Easy to hide out from work
Cons
Poor managers
Technical Suport Representative
TECHNIAL SUPPORT REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCJanuary 21, 2016
Inbound call centre providing technical support and customer service, so a typical workday involved taking calls from people needing assistance with internet, cable and home phone issues. Secondarily, we also assisted with billing and other customer service inquiries and there was some selling involved as well.
I learned a great deal about computers, modems and routers and so forth and that was probably the toughest part of the job.
The management was great, I always had very good relationships with my managers. Co-workers were great, too. I really didn't have any problems with anyone.
I was an Assistant Trainer for about 8 months and enjoyed imparting my customer service, sales and technical support know-how to new hires. Some of them had never worked in a call centre so they had a lot of questions and it was good to have a small part in their growth.
The most enjoyable part of the job was probably the satisfaction of solving a customer's technical or billing problem, especially in cases where they had already called in before and it never got resolved to their satisfaction before. It was gratifying to solve their problem.
Pros
Great technology to work with, ergonomics were good.
Cons
Parking, Shaw Kelowna does not have enough employee parking, space and there is limited space along the road, so sometimes you had to park a long ways away. :(
productive and very ethical work culture with reasonable salary benefits.
In-home sales consultant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 30, 2016
a typical day starts with prioritizing daily task managing people and planning followups for the business.
Making sure that all the deliverable are on time.
Pros
personal benefits, parties, flexible schedule
Cons
strict follow ups, micro management
Productive environment with friendly co-workers.
Technical support representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 13, 2016
-Handled over 100 calls per day
-Gained knowledge about Internet, cable and phone servises
-Fixed all technical issues
-Made sales
-Relaxed environment
-Good Mangement
-Had to deal with rude costumers over the phones
-Best part of the job reqires helping costumers
Pros
free snacks, bonus
good salary
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 17, 2016
The job was great, as I enjoy dealing with customers, but management were actually a detriment to productivity. Most of the day was spent solving customers inquiries such as adding or removing service, solving billing issues.
Pros
salary was great
Cons
scheduling
Comfortable
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 22, 2016
It was a very comfortable work environment; well air conditioned with flat screen tvs mounted throughout the office. You'd think that your back would hurt after sitting for 7 hours, but the chairs shaw had were excellent.
Pros
Decent salary plus commission
Cons
Hectic work schedule.
Best Company to work with
Customer Solutions Expert (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 9, 2016
Shaw is one of the best company to work with, they takes care of the employe plus the benefits are so good. Co- Workers are very good, always ready to help each other.
Pros
Good Work environment, Amazing Benefits, Scope for growth
Cons
Can't find any
Horrible corperate culture
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCAugust 23, 2016
just a horrible place to work.

Friends get promoted, while hard working employees hitting their goals get bypassed.

Run away as fast you can
benefits
Cons
hours, environment, pay, management, only 30 cents in raises in 3 years
trials and tribulations
Loyalty and Retention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJune 29, 2016
helping customers with their cable related problems-including billing and outtages. Helping other teams out when they needed extra help.
Pros
some good employees
Cons
long hours, not much advancement, no values, no communication
nothing to say
Maintenance Tech (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 18, 2015
That’s an interesting question. I love Mondays, mostly because the day flies by in a flash. On a given day, during the early hours you will find me speaking to the clients, finding out – proactively – what their priorities are for the week, meeting with team for half hour to communicate the clients’ needs and organizing the team schedules around the client’s priorities. I do this on Monday so that the rest of the week is well organized and we can effectively use our team’s time in exceeding client’s expectations and avoid Friday evening surprises. Rest of the week goes in delivering the product(s), updating the status with the client, answering emails and calls from our global teams. My role involves extensive management responsibilities and staying organized is not an option
A fun environment with amazing pay if you're self motivated.
Customer Solutions Expert (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 19, 2015
During my time at Shaw I enjoyed many of the perks that were thrown our way, perhaps the best perk was the ability to write my own pay cheque being a highly motivated, highly experienced sales person.

I very much enjoyed the people and culture at Shaw. They took a hands on approach with their top sales representatives, rewarding top performers with prestige dinners at Pampa's Brazilian Steak House and Von's Steakhouse. We randomly as a department enjoyed activities such as bowling and BBQ's. My co-workers were amazing and as experienced as I am in my craft, I learned so much from them and felt that people genuinely cared.

The hardest part of my job would consist of some months, maybe taking only a single day off, but the compensation, the commissions I made, absolutely were worth my efforts.
A good place to work, if you can take the stress.
Technical Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCAugust 5, 2015
Of the corporate / big business employers I've had, Shaw was the best. Good pay, excellent benefits and immediate superiors were supportive and I knew where I stood with them. I worked in the call center; my review is from that point of view.
The job is "addictive" in that the money and the security can really lock you into the job. Dental, extended Medical and other health benefits start right at the first day and if you're not doing well at the job, you'll know it very quickly. I found my reviews very courteous and constructively phrased. Shifts are consistent for a given period and notice of shifts is well ahead of time. Scheduling is as flexible as they can be around requested days/weeks off.
It is stressful because people seem to be much more rude over the phone than in person and diplomacy is the number one survival skill. Being able to get someone who *knows* the problem has nothing to do with them to check things on their end is about 40% of your job.
Working on the front lines means shift work and seniority does not improve your choices. It is difficult to commit to social or volunteer activities because the shifts vary from month to month. Call centre work seems to invite micromanagement that adds pressure to become a cookie-cutter while customers want to know they're talking to a real person.
Pros
Job security, good benefits, fairly good co-workers and management.
Cons
awkward hours, very little shift flexibility, stressful customers.
Fun place to work
Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCAugust 5, 2016
Fun place to work,call centre has many opportunities to earn more money via commission

Management are approachable
and the co-workers are friendly
Pros
Commissions
Cons
Some Managers play favorites