Shaw Communications Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Run don't walk away from this place.
Talent at Shaw TV (Former Employee), EdmontonNovember 30, 2013
Pros: benefits, & triple play rate deductions.
Cons: management - in particular the supervisors are bullies, very cliquey, high school mentality
Shaw itself is a great company to work for with amazing perks, benefits and advancement possibilities.

However, for some departments, if you are not part of the popular clique, you're looked down upon, mocked, or ignored - until one of the in crowd wants something - then they're your best friend.

Dare to say no, for any reason, to any clique member request and before you know it, you're pulled into managements office, tag teamed or triple teamed, and being accused of not being a team player or worse.

Shaw prefers its employees to have a sheep like mentality. Dare to have an original thought and again, you're cast out as being not a team player.

The management team rarely recognized the hard work, drive and determination of non preferred team members. Instead, these true team players were ridiculed, sometimes publicly mocked, and again ostracized. They were often used as a lesson for other non preferred staff members - to get in line or this will happen to you.

HR was no better than the management team - often taking their cues from the management team. Go to them with a grievance, and again, you're cast out as not being a team player and you will pay for trying to stand up for yourself.

It's been awhile since I worked at Shaw, but the scars of being bullied day in and day out are still quite fresh. I now work for a company with an amazing manager / supervisor and team. The very things I used to be mocked, or bullied for at shaw - I'm routinely rewarded and recognized for. My current team works together for the greater good of the company. This unfortunately was not the – more... case at Shaw TV Edmonton.

Until Shaw TV Edmonton management, in particular the supervisors, can live the company values they clearly have no problem shoving down their employee's throat, and treats all employees equally, I would highly recommend to run not walk away from this place. – less
Excellent work life balance, good benefits.
Service Technician (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 14, 2013
Pros: excellent benefits
Cons: long hours (12 hours)
A typical day at work involved printing, organizing and grabbing equipment related to my run for the day. Time management was key to completing every job within the time slot provided to each customer. Troubleshooting started from the outside pedestal all the way through to the individual device having problems indicated on the call sheet. One call resolution was the goal, I had a personal call "repeat" rate of 7% (quite low). The day ended after every call was complete, vehicles were cleaned and maintained and run sheets were handed in with order numbers, in/out times and resolution codes.

I learned a great deal about the cable industry and RF problems related to the cable plant, equipment and customer devices. I also learned to be able to work autonomously, managing a fairly heavy workload into a reasonably tight time frame.

Management was minimal, with bi-weekly meetings keeping the techs up to date on company happenings, requirements and protocols.

My co-workers were a good group of guys I was happy to call friends, always willing to help each other out of any jams throughout the day and even chiming in with helpful advise via our chat group on their days off. Very exceptional.

The hardest part of my job was definitely keeping to my work day schedule. You could never exactly predict in advance how one call could turn out or how long it could take, so properly managing my time while keeping customers satisfied and managing their expectations was a challenge.

The best part of my job was leaving each individual customer completely satisfied with the service I was able – more... to perform, making sure that they knew I had done my best to help them in any way I could! – less
Technical Suport Representative
TECHNIAL SUPPORT REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCJanuary 21, 2016
Pros: Great technology to work with, ergonomics were good.
Cons: Parking, Shaw Kelowna does not have enough employee parking, space and there is limited space along the road, so sometimes you had to park a long ways away. :(
Inbound call centre providing technical support and customer service, so a typical workday involved taking calls from people needing assistance with internet, cable and home phone issues. Secondarily, we also assisted with billing and other customer service inquiries and there was some selling involved as well.
I learned a great deal about computers, modems and routers and so forth and that was probably the toughest part of the job.
The management was great, I always had very good relationships with my managers. Co-workers were great, too. I really didn't have any problems with anyone.
I was an Assistant Trainer for about 8 months and enjoyed imparting my customer service, sales and technical support know-how to new hires. Some of them had never worked in a call centre so they had a lot of questions and it was good to have a small part in their growth.
The most enjoyable part of the job was probably the satisfaction of solving a customer's technical or billing problem, especially in cases where they had already called in before and it never got resolved to their satisfaction before. It was gratifying to solve their problem.
Made good money, eventually hated my job, slowly dieing company
Customer Solutions Expert (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCApril 17, 2015
Pros: Good pay, good benefits, nice tower
Cons: unorganized disconnected management, bad planning for the future of entertainment technology, lots of favoritism from supervisors
I worked at Shaw for 2 years. It was a good 2 years. In the sales dept I made really good money taking in over 25k just in commission in my final year there. Benefits are great and company culture is great. Stocks plan is good. Chairs and desks are comfy.

Problem is the company itself isn't geared for the future. They are laying people off and closing towers. They are dying. In a world slowly not needing cable or home phone not having cell phones will kill Shaw. As well they pride themselves on internet but the reality is Telus is a better internet provider in a lot of areas of western Canada. Shaw is what looked like from the inside a sinking ship.

On top of that the management sucks. The head doesn't know what the arms are doing and favoritism runs rampant. People who have done nothing but buy their supervisor a beer get promoted while those who have trained half the staff on a new product or put together a national sales incentive get left behind and end up quitting.

In the month I quit around 10 other people quit for that very reason and I was one of them.
Productive and fun place to work
Service Call Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 17, 2015
Pros: Lots of free lunches and great benefits
Cons: A lot of the tools would stop working
I enjoyed coming to work because of my fellow employees.
We very much became a family while working there. It made me really sad that there was a decision to close down customer service and tech support in our area. I am really happy that Shaw had given the opportunity to move a lot of the employees, who could, to another location.
A typical work day started with quick socialization with my co-workers before checking my emails and starting my work. With what I did I had a lot of flexibility with how I completed my tasks.
I learned a lot about the infrastructure, and how to fix the devices.
The management was great, from with who I had the opportunity to be under. Although there were a few that my co-workers had worked with that had a complained about their managers unfairness.
The hardest part of my job was when I couldn't fix a customer's issue and had to book for a service tech, or not cancel the tech from going. But the most frustrating part was when I found area issues and it took a long time for the back end team to verify the issue, and it would go on for weeks.
The most enjoyable part of my job was when I met my goals and being with my co-works.
Strict and little room for advancement unless you brown-nose management
Loyalty and Retentions (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 8, 2015
Pros: Good health benefits, but that's about it.
Cons: Must adhere to schedule and breaks, if you're late to a break by 10 minutes you start getting hounded, You have to brown-nose your supervisors to get any sort of advancement.
Slightly underpaid for the roles available, They encourage you to be your best, and offer to help get you to another department, but then turn around and deny everything, provide memos to employees that aren't quite meeting the business needs, and then they'll find a way to let you go. You can be 100% perfect in 9/10 aspects of your job, but they will focus on that 1/10 that you aren't the best on.

Inter-communication between departments is horrible, trying to forward information to someone in another department will result in an e-mail reply "We don't deal with that" and you're left to fend for yourself in trying to find the appropriate person to contact.

Most supervisors aren't that helpful when it comes to getting input or suggestions from, some simply don't care and keep putting it off until you start hounding them to the point that you think you'll explode, then they give you information you're requesting.
Toxic environment. Mediocre management.
Customer Relations (Former Employee), Montréal, TorontoMay 19, 2014
Pros: salary, benefits, rebates
Cons: management, supervisors, schedules, environment
Shaw is something alright. At first (in training) they wrap you up in their propaganda. They seem almost unbelievable. And they are. They prone their supposed values (integrity, loyalty, respect etc) but boy do they NOT abide by them.
Management is like a little posse clique and if they don't like you, you can start counting your days no matter how good an employee you are. You can only advance depending on how much behind you kiss. They give incentives but you have to fight for WEEKS to get the commissions you deserve AND you have to verify each and every paycheck to make sure you got the money you worked for. They revel in their mediocrity and their lack of professionalism is mind boggling.
They have no respect for their customers and even less for their employee. The lies and things they do to their customers will make you cringe as a human being with a minimal of empathy. For your own good look elsewhere its not worth it. They hire and fire people at an alarming rate and boy do they lie. They've been sued by so many former employees (who won!) Its ridiculous.
Productive Place to work with lots of Incentives & Tools for motivation
In Home Solutions Consultant (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCJanuary 26, 2016
Shaw is a family-oriented, Canadian owned business with over 14,000 employees across the country, providing services to more than 3 million customers with top quality cable TV, Internet, digital phone, direct-to-home satellite services, and programming including Global Television and 19 of the country's most popular specialty channels.

At Shaw we believe a diverse workforce fosters diversity of thought and perspective, and more diversity means more solutions. We invite all qualified individuals to apply.

Career Opportunity: Technical Service Representative (Multicultural - Cantonese Speaking)

We have an exciting opportunity for a Technical Support Representative working in our inbound call center in our Vancouver office. Reporting to the Supervisor, Technical Support, the successful candidate will be accountable for answering calls from new and existing customers with a focus on technical support and promoting the features, benefits and advantages of Shaw products and services to our customers.
Can't type more than 20 WPM? Don't know what a fiber optic line is? You're hired!
CSR (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJuly 18, 2014
Pros: free tea, coffee. cafeteria on site.
Cons: management
I really enjoyed the actual job. I could answer the phones and talk to customers all day, every day. The problem with Shaw is the work *environment*.

They preach from day one that this is a great place, and everyone loves each other, and the main reason they hired us was because we "fit into the culture". Why would you only hire people that all think the same?! How can you improve as a company and have new ideas when everyone just repeat each other? I had some people in my training class that couldn't even type 20 words a minute.

Management was unsupportive and literally went out of their way to ignore my attempts at contacting them for help with improving my skills as a CSR over the course of several months.

In summary: No job stability or room for advancement, kiss butt or die, keep your head down and join a clique, because it doesn't matter how good you are at the job, it's if you FIT IN.

Also, WHY are they hiring when they just laid-off ~380 people?!

(The office in Winnipeg is a very nice building, I'll give them that!)
Fun energetic workplace
Technical Support Rep (Current Employee), Calgary ABJune 28, 2014
Pros: positive workplace, fun coworkers, great benefits
Cons: late shifts, no weekends off, split days off
I do enjoy this job. It is a very fun and positive environment.
I enjoy working with so many different people and personalities and having the freedom to choose where I set up my desk for the day.
I have gained a huge amount of customer service experience and technical support troubleshooting of electronics that I can bring with me for the rest of my life.
As many good sides of working in such a positive and fun place. I have sacrificed alot of my personal life. I have not had a consistent schedule since working there. I have never had a weekend off, most of my days off are split and I work the midnight shift. Since Shaw is open 365 I have had to work Christmas Day as well as New Years Day straight until 12:15am. In December Shaw had lost alot of customers in which they cut our hours dramatically. I have lost time with my family and friends and sacrificed a social life of working weekends and nights for this job.
Productive and fun place to work, for sure.
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCSeptember 10, 2014
Pros: great people, excellent pay, excellent health benefits.
Cons: some management, commute (downtown).
Loved my time at Shaw, I think its one of the best companies in Canada to work for.
Typical day at work was answering calls from customers, sometimes with less stress, sometimes with more, depending on is there outages or not.
Twice a week there was Healthy Snack, where you can get one piece of fruit and small yogurt.
I learned a lot about team work and met some great people.
About Shaw's management, I will just say that your people are what makes your company, do not treat them as criminals.
My co-workers are some of the best people I have met, always ready to help, curious and polite.
Hardest part of the job was leaving Shaw, nothing was hard for me to do, at Shaw.
Most enjoyable part of the job was sense of belonging, teamwork with people who walk customers shoes and they do it in world class environment with an awesome view of harbor.
Great Culture, fun place to work with great benefits
HR Team Lead - Training/Program Management (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 11, 2014
Pros: fun environment
Cons: no work life balance or role clarity
A typical work week is 37.5 hours, although many employees often worked 40-45 hours.

Shaw provides the ability to cross train with other departments, which for those eager to progress with the company is an added bonus. They are also a performance based company that rewards on performance rather than tenure.

The culture at Shaw creates a friendly and gregarious place to work. Employees often say that they stay for the people, as the culture creates a family like work place. This company likes to work hard, but plays even harder; if you have a strong leader, this makes Shaw a very enjoyable place to work.

The hardest part of the job is lack of clear role mandates and lack of transparency from management in some of the departments. As a result, people can sometimes feel like they are running around in circles with no direction.
Very busy place with high call volume but worked with great staff
Customer Service Sales Representative (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 11, 2012
Pros: co-workers
Cons: call volume that we could not keep up too
I was a csr that took calls from customers in all aspects of cable, from installs to disconects and concerns that arose throughout the call if needed. Handled all discrepensies with the utmost privacy and confidense of the call, handled large volume of calls on a daily basis.
My co-workers were some of the best in the field we worked well together and helped when needed always there.
Manegment was there but did not have a hands on where we were concerned, we handled most of the situations as they came up, we were empowered to make any calls that needed to be solved.
The most enjoyable part of my job was helping new employees when needed or just making a customer who was having a bad day make them have a smile at the end of a difficult call. There were not alot of hard part of the job to deal with.
Outbound Sales
Customer Solutions Expert (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 30, 2014
Pros: great coworkers, great management
During my time at Shaw I was required to learn the internal system, CBS, to help and assist customers with their needs and potentially sell them on new products as well. My hours at Shaw started 12 - 8:30. During those hours, we would be contacting existing customer as well as new customers. Part of the job requirements was to be able to try win back some customers from our competitors or add services to existing customers. We were expected 6 core services per day.

I was also a part of the team that would in charge train new employees with the internal system when they first got on the floor and answering any question that they had.

Even though we had over 70 employees on the floor on separate teams, I got along extremely well with all my coworkers. I believe that every working environment requires a great team working environment.
Shaw is a great company to work for.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Kelowna, BCAugust 21, 2013
Pros: annual bonus sharing, discounted shaw service
Cons: older building, lack of parking
A typical day at Shaw is always busy. The Retention department allows more time on the phone with customers to provide a more personal touch. We do get some escalated customers, so need to handle with care.
I have learned to be a better listener, have more patience, and show empathy, allowing customers to explain their understanding of the service with Shaw.
Management at Shaw, we feel empowered and respected.
We are in a smaller department and have become a cohesive team. Outside activities together also help bonding.
Hardest part of the job, customers who have already made up their minds about Shaw and do not wish to discuss alternative options for their accounts.
Most enjoyable part of the job are my friends I have made at Shaw.
A fun environment with amazing pay if you're self motivated.
Customer Solutions Expert (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 19, 2015
During my time at Shaw I enjoyed many of the perks that were thrown our way, perhaps the best perk was the ability to write my own pay cheque being a highly motivated, highly experienced sales person.

I very much enjoyed the people and culture at Shaw. They took a hands on approach with their top sales representatives, rewarding top performers with prestige dinners at Pampa's Brazilian Steak House and Von's Steakhouse. We randomly as a department enjoyed activities such as bowling and BBQ's. My co-workers were amazing and as experienced as I am in my craft, I learned so much from them and felt that people genuinely cared.

The hardest part of my job would consist of some months, maybe taking only a single day off, but the compensation, the commissions I made, absolutely were worth my efforts.
It was a great 20 years at Shaw, a few ups and downs, but a great place to work
Supervisor, Customer Care (Former Employee), Nanaimo, BCSeptember 20, 2012
My day at Shaw was always, busy, exciting, lots of changes there was always something new happening.
What didn't I learn at Shaw: I had a great mentor who's guidance not only helped me with my career but my home life. It was a great experience that reminded me of the values we have and to practice them daily.. also patience.
I worked with the best people. There was such a diversity among the teams that kept you on your toes and reminded you that everyone is different and has different learning curves.
Meetings could sometimes be daunting.. just too many, which took you away from being there for your team.
The people was the most enjoyable part of the job, plus the constant changes, always something new to learn which kept the job interesting and creative
It was wonderful to work with bunch of highly enthusiastic people, had one of the best working environments, really appreciate their work ethics.
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 5, 2014
Pros: super energetic working environment
Cons: less vacations
Everyday life was never boring. People around us were amazing, very helpful, managers and supervisors were always helping us to upgrade our skills every single day. Highly competitive working environment, everyday we used to compete by teams or individuals. There were good commission, prizes for achieving goals and benefits. Well, I barely felt anything hard to attain in that company, everyone was so helpful that nothing seemed hard. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people, the supervisors, it was such a friendly working place, we enjoyed our work all the time!
nothing to say
Maintenance Tech (Current Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 18, 2015
That’s an interesting question. I love Mondays, mostly because the day flies by in a flash. On a given day, during the early hours you will find me speaking to the clients, finding out – proactively – what their priorities are for the week, meeting with team for half hour to communicate the clients’ needs and organizing the team schedules around the client’s priorities. I do this on Monday so that the rest of the week is well organized and we can effectively use our team’s time in exceeding client’s expectations and avoid Friday evening surprises. Rest of the week goes in delivering the product(s), updating the status with the client, answering emails and calls from our global teams. My role involves extensive management responsibilities and staying organized is not an option
Family Owned and Operated.. Employees treated like family as well!
Customer Accounts Representative (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 21, 2015
Pros: Rewards when exceeding company goals, free Coffee, heathy snacks
Cons: Long hours if requested
Family owned and operated and employees would feel like family as well. Shaw would always take the time to acknowledge its employees throughout the year with BBQs, out of office events and training and outstanding Christmas events for employees and their children.
Lots of incentive to improve skills, advancement opportunities with supportive colleagues and management.
Competitive wages and bonus opportunities!
Free tea, coffee and Healthy snacks everyday.. what more could you ask for..
The only reason I left this company was due to a move from the West part of Canada back to my home town on the East Coast ..