Shaw Communications

Shaw Communications Employee Reviews

Shaw
Customer Care / Technical Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC11 January 2017
Currently a leader at Shaw Communications.I love the role and it is quite engaging. I like the team atmosphere and the autonomy I have in creating my day and how I lead my team. There has been great support from management in my role in each location I have been in. I would recommend Shaw for anyone that has a positive outlook and who loves in dealing with people all day.
Pros
People, Environment and Educational Opportunities
Cons
Hard to keep people in entry level due to schedules and pay.
Incredible.
Customer Advisor (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC13 December 2016
After years of searching for employment that not only emotionally charged me but provided me with stability, starting at shaw was a breath of fresh air. The managers are constantly helping you and making sure you're on track, but they're not pushy, they genuinely enjoy you as a person and want to make sure you're performing to the best of your ability. The training was top notch, I left the 4 weeks of dedicated training with all the knowledge I required to do the job well, and monthly refreshers make all the difference. The benefits are amazing, and the pay is off the charts, especially in this economy. I could not have a better thing to say about this company.
Camera Work
Television Camera Operator (Current Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON23 December 2016
Everybody is up and ready to be on a crew call for a ceratin time and while we are working we are expected to be on top of the important people and what they can do and what they can achieve.

During my volunteer work I've learned how to work with standard quality cameras and learn how to edit what I've produced.

The Co-workers; the people that taught me, are very adequately helpful people, trustworthy, and very inspiring.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that just getting on set and getting ready to do just be creative and try to inspire others that might be in that field of interest.
Pros
Getting to know my community and helping promte it, Volunteer hours that could help lead to an established position, and free lunches.
Cons
Technical difficulties.
Fast-paced job with an engaging work environment
Customer Advisor and Loyalty Care (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC30 November 2016
This job is fast-paced and high-intensity when it is busy, but allows for growth of communication and computer skills as well as challenging employees to build rapport and empathy with customers. Workplace was large and somewhat overwhelming for those who might enjoy fewer coworkers (500+ in office) but provides plenty of social interaction and team-building opportunities.
Positive work environment with room for advancement.
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 November 2016
Working at the call centre entails making inbound/outbound calls. Time was of the essence as was quality customer care service. We worked in a team with a supportive supervisor whom we reported to. All the other teams and leads were always more than willing to help. My role was to help customers resolve any technical/billing/sales/general issues regarding their products and services. I was constantly learning something new, however taking calls daily because very monotonous quickly. Because the call centre is very time sensitive, everything was micromanaged. Overall, the experience was not bad.
Wonderful people to be around
Network Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 November 2016
Going from a Technical Support role to a Network Analyst role was a fairly large learning curve, because of all the great people I worked with my success was due to the support I received.

The hardest part of the job was being laid off, I woke up almost every day excited to be going to work. Sure the hours were long and some days we had to triage multiple outages, but we always got our job done.
Pros
Cons
Bad weather meant busy days.
Great place to work as a technician, unless there are surprise layoffs.
Technical Field Representative (Installer) (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 November 2016
Best job I've ever had. I wanted to stay there until I was too old to continue. Unfortunately the bottom line caused layoffs. I worked as piece rate installer for over 6 years, this allowed me to run my own work day and manage my own hours for the most part. Unfortunately most good things come to an end. Highly stressful at first until you learn the job fully, if you are good at time management the stress disappears later on.

I would go back in a heartbeat, but that is not an option.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Layoffs
Needs to listen to their employees and provide support
Customer Care (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 November 2016
The benefits are good however the company needs to listen to the employees more. Along with doing a better job of hiring the right people with the right values for the company. The hardest part of the job would be at times dealing with irate customers that ask for irresponsible request. Along with employees taking accountability for their actions
Pros
benefit, pay
Cons
hours and work life balance
Shaw is a mediocre place to work
Technical Field Representative (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC5 January 2017
At the beginning, they were very kind to their employees. Towards the end, I felt like they really didn't care too much about their employees. They were reluctant to get along with their employees or do anything to increase company morale. This led to a high turnover rate in the call center and general unhappiness in the work place.
Pros
Piece work
Cons
Low Morale
excellent pay
Technical Field Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 November 2016
On the job training, but no certifications. Learned many skills however company is constantly adding more and more responsibilities to your daily workload. Management seems to be purged and restructured every year. Moral is very low. The most difficult part of the job is the fact that your job is not secure. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people everyday.
Decent group of guys to work with
CATV Installer Technican (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 November 2016
Guys in the field were great and support staff did well helping us even though theirs hands were tied most of the time due to leadership micro managing everyone rather than trusting them to do their job the way they new how for the betterment of all involved.
Pros
cheaper cable and internet
Cons
poor safety regs and it wasn't fun being around any of the management anymore.
Awesome place with play area's
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 December 2016
It was an amazing place to work. Management was friendly and help was always available. Great pay, and the more things you could upsell or change, the greater your pay was.

Only thing they were stringent about was the being late policy, which is understandable but given how Translink sucks and constantly breaks down, they should have been lenient.
Good working environment
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 January 2017
A typical work day would involve helping clients manage their accounts.

I learned data handling skills during my time at this job.

Management was fair and were approachable

The hardest part of the job was being eligible for advancement from within.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the colleagues in the same position.
fun work pace with great people
Business Consultant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 January 2017
-get to the office at 8am
-get to my cubicle section and set up my work station.
- i have learned that time management is a huge key in your work schedule.
-co workers were nice but sometimes got me sidetracked with so many questions about what they had to do. I was the more experience rep at Shaw so i had to always help everyone else.
-It was hard to make sales because Shaw footprint in winnipeg for businesses isn't that strong. So you would have to hunt really hard to make sales. I did well and i was the youngest consultant for the company in the country.
-I really enjoyed working from home. i could work from home or the office but then management changed and then i have to come into the office more often.
- i am very self motivated so i do great job working from my home office.
Pros
team lunches
Cons
was very hard to make sales and worked over 15 hours a day
A large and diverse company with a variety of opportunites and leadership styles
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 November 2016
Great company to work for but has its challenges with creating a similar work experience \ collaboration across its many business silo's.
Pros
A lot of passionate people that create a positive unique work envoiroment
Cons
Has always been challenged with its top down leadership style
Amazing place to grow
Marketing and Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 October 2016
SHAW is amazing their are alot of room to grow within the company. The training is not great but everything from the Free Parking, great management to special projects on the side during work.
Pros
Free Lunches, Computer time, great people with all types of ethnic back rounds. safe and wonderful place
Cons
One elevator for about 300 people.
Productive and a Fun work environment
Billing Agent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 September 2016
Working at Shaw Cable was very exhilarating
everyday was something new to look forward too whether it was a product or a new service for our clients. It was always great coming to together as a team and putting the product out to the public. the feedback was always the hardest part because we were anxious to see how the public would take to the new products and services. every feedback was great even the not so great feedback as it allowed us to see where we as a company could improve.
great company culture and a good transition job for a graduate
In Home Solutions Consultant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 September 2016
A typical day at work:
- cold call potential customers
- record information on spreadsheet
- follow up calls with warm customers

Learned:
- modern day selling techniques
- product knowledge

Management:
- hands off management

Co-workers:
- friendly but not supportive

Hardest part of the job:
- maintaining positive attitude

Most enjoyable part of the job:
- getting to know co-workers
Pros
great health benefits
Cons
low starting salary
Excellent organization to be associated with.
Customer Service/Technical Support Representitive (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 September 2016
Overall an excellent organization to be with. Good supervisory guidance and support. Co-workers co-operative and concerned with providing client support. They have good training program for new employees as well as training for upgrading your skills as you progress. Company provides a comprehensive benefits package of services, health and medical. They are also is very active in the community and national charities. The management organization is supportive and in very interested in ensuring an excellent service for their clients and investors as well as ensuring employee are knowledgeable of the direction the company is going.
Pros
Excellent trainning and benefits
Cons
Shift hours
Rise and Fall of a good company
CSR/TSR/Retail Sales (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 September 2016
Learned with the Company of all the new technologies. Was a good family based company with family values, that had excellent rate of retaining customers and had great customer service. Rapid expansion left the (people powered) theme behind.
Pros
great health and dental benefits, and very people oriented in the beginning
Cons
became greedy for sales and territories.