Shaw Communications Employee Reviews

Great place to work as a technician, unless there are surprise layoffs.
Technical Field Representative (Installer) (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 November 2016
Best job I've ever had. I wanted to stay there until I was too old to continue. Unfortunately the bottom line caused layoffs. I worked as piece rate installer for over 6 years, this allowed me to run my own work day and manage my own hours for the most part. Unfortunately most good things come to an end. Highly stressful at first until you learn the job fully, if you are good at time management the stress disappears later on.

I would go back in a heartbeat, but that is not an option.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Layoffs
Positive work environment with room for advancement.
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 November 2016
Working at the call centre entails making inbound/outbound calls. Time was of the essence as was quality customer care service. We worked in a team with a supportive supervisor whom we reported to. All the other teams and leads were always more than willing to help. My role was to help customers resolve any technical/billing/sales/general issues regarding their products and services. I was constantly learning something new, however taking calls daily because very monotonous quickly. Because the call centre is very time sensitive, everything was micromanaged. Overall, the experience was not bad.
Wonderful people to be around
Network Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 November 2016
Going from a Technical Support role to a Network Analyst role was a fairly large learning curve, because of all the great people I worked with my success was due to the support I received.

The hardest part of the job was being laid off, I woke up almost every day excited to be going to work. Sure the hours were long and some days we had to triage multiple outages, but we always got our job done.
Pros
Cons
Bad weather meant busy days.
Fast-paced job with an engaging work environment
Customer Advisor and Loyalty Care (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC30 November 2016
This job is fast-paced and high-intensity when it is busy, but allows for growth of communication and computer skills as well as challenging employees to build rapport and empathy with customers. Workplace was large and somewhat overwhelming for those who might enjoy fewer coworkers (500+ in office) but provides plenty of social interaction and team-building opportunities.
Needs to listen to their employees and provide support
Customer Care (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 November 2016
The benefits are good however the company needs to listen to the employees more. Along with doing a better job of hiring the right people with the right values for the company. The hardest part of the job would be at times dealing with irate customers that ask for irresponsible request. Along with employees taking accountability for their actions
Pros
benefit, pay
Cons
hours and work life balance
Decent group of guys to work with
CATV Installer Technican (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 November 2016
Guys in the field were great and support staff did well helping us even though theirs hands were tied most of the time due to leadership micro managing everyone rather than trusting them to do their job the way they new how for the betterment of all involved.
Pros
cheaper cable and internet
Cons
poor safety regs and it wasn't fun being around any of the management anymore.
excellent pay
Technical Field Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 November 2016
On the job training, but no certifications. Learned many skills however company is constantly adding more and more responsibilities to your daily workload. Management seems to be purged and restructured every year. Moral is very low. The most difficult part of the job is the fact that your job is not secure. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people everyday.
Productive and a Fun work environment
Billing Agent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 September 2016
Working at Shaw Cable was very exhilarating
everyday was something new to look forward too whether it was a product or a new service for our clients. It was always great coming to together as a team and putting the product out to the public. the feedback was always the hardest part because we were anxious to see how the public would take to the new products and services. every feedback was great even the not so great feedback as it allowed us to see where we as a company could improve.
great company culture and a good transition job for a graduate
In Home Solutions Consultant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 September 2016
A typical day at work:
- cold call potential customers
- record information on spreadsheet
- follow up calls with warm customers

Learned:
- modern day selling techniques
- product knowledge

Management:
- hands off management

Co-workers:
- friendly but not supportive

Hardest part of the job:
- maintaining positive attitude

Most enjoyable part of the job:
- getting to know co-workers
Pros
great health benefits
Cons
low starting salary
Excellent organization to be associated with.
Customer Service/Technical Support Representitive (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 September 2016
Overall an excellent organization to be with. Good supervisory guidance and support. Co-workers co-operative and concerned with providing client support. They have good training program for new employees as well as training for upgrading your skills as you progress. Company provides a comprehensive benefits package of services, health and medical. They are also is very active in the community and national charities. The management organization is supportive and in very interested in ensuring an excellent service for their clients and investors as well as ensuring employee are knowledgeable of the direction the company is going.
Pros
Excellent trainning and benefits
Cons
Shift hours
Amazing place to grow
Marketing and Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 October 2016
SHAW is amazing their are alot of room to grow within the company. The training is not great but everything from the Free Parking, great management to special projects on the side during work.
Pros
Free Lunches, Computer time, great people with all types of ethnic back rounds. safe and wonderful place
Cons
One elevator for about 300 people.
Rise and Fall of a good company
CSR/TSR/Retail Sales (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 September 2016
Learned with the Company of all the new technologies. Was a good family based company with family values, that had excellent rate of retaining customers and had great customer service. Rapid expansion left the (people powered) theme behind.
Pros
great health and dental benefits, and very people oriented in the beginning
Cons
became greedy for sales and territories.
A great working environment with continuous learning opportunities
Customer Advisor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 August 2016
Shaw provides an excellent working environment with a very rare balance between fun and work. I always feel like I am learning new things on a daily basis. The management actively encourages making the company a culturally diverse one, and delegates substantial authority to each employee to contribute with their own knowledge and strengths in their individual roles. One of the best things I recognize within Shaw is that there is substantial growth opportunity within the organization.
A large and diverse company with a variety of opportunites and leadership styles
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 November 2016
Great company to work for but has its challenges with creating a similar work experience \ collaboration across its many business silo's.
Pros
A lot of passionate people that create a positive unique work envoiroment
Cons
Has always been challenged with its top down leadership style
Certainly not the best job I ever had.
Bandwidth Management Support (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 August 2016
Although we were promised lots of internal promotion opportunities, it was definitely a "who you know" environment. I was stuck in the call center, regardless of the past experience I possess in many different areas of leadership and dispatch, in spite of applying for new positions on a regular basis. If you aren't a butt kisser, you won't get anywhere.
Not a company for highly experienced or talented people
Digital Markting Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 November 2016
Shaw is a good company for people that are ok with a place where
progress happens slowly and people lack vision and technical knowledge to recognize what the obvious next steps are.
Also a place where seniority always outranks logic.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Low Salary
Great Collaberative Team Environment
SPECIALIST SPONSORSHIPS AND EVENTS (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 July 2016
I thouroughly enjoyed working with my team within the Corporate office of Calgary. I had the best of both worlds and while I was located in Vancouver, I worked with the Corporate team out of Calgary. Everybody I worked with worked very hard and were passionate about their role within Shaw. It made me work that much harder knowing that my team was working as hard as I was for a common goal. I will very much miss my colleagues at Shaw and know that it will be hard to replace such a fantastic working environment.
Pros
Flexibility. Management valued your ideas and opinions.
Cons
Too many layoffs. (I was one of the people downsized after three rounds of cutbacks).
Decent Place to Work
Inside Sales (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 November 2016
Shaw compensates it's employee's well. However asks a lot out of them. I saw little room for advancement, however you can be moved around if you so wish from department to department. Overall I good place to learn about corporate structure and how large scale companies work.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Long Hours
Technical Support Representative at Shaw
Technical Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 July 2016
Inbound call centre focusing on technical support of Shaw's products. (Cable, internet and Phone service)

Located in the Downtown core in Vancouver, Canada.

Beautiful building overlooking the marina downtown.
Job culture was friendly and many good people worked with me here.
Some days, the difficulty was that customers would wait long periods of time waiting for someone to address their concern, and these incidents could last from a couple of hours to an entire shift.

On the positive side, the good days left you feeling fulfilled and useful to society.

Overall, a good place to work.
A good work enviroment to start out in
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB12 July 2016
Some of the management ways are a bit outdated. They will basically look at you from the start and decide where they want you to go in the company. Even if you apply for different positions if your current manager doesn't think that is the direction for you they will black ball you.

Also they treat you just like a number and work you as hard as they can. Raises are next to nothing if you do get get one at all. Reviews always focus on negatives and never provide positive feedback.

As the culture is dog eat dog some will try to step over you do get more money.