Shaw Communications

Shaw Communications Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Always working to develop new strategies to make the work enviornment a better place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONApril 2, 2014
The hardest part of the job is the lack of breaks between calls.

Management needs to be more up to date on current offers within the work place. Better and advanced training needs to be put in place for mangement, this includes supervisors.

The co-workers are great for the most part.
Amazing company to work for
Loyalty Care Representative (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 23, 2014
Cons: shift work
I have worked at Shaw Communications for the past 7 years. I have moved through out the company and have enjoyed learning about the different aspects of the business.

The individuals that I work are very welcoming and knowledgeable. We have create an amazing atmosphere to come to every day.
The worst place to work
Test Lead (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 20, 2014
Pros: 50% on shaw products.
Cons: bad work environment; long hours
The bosses are bossy.
The project managers are incompetent.
Most of people are not so friendly.
They don't like foreign people; I felt sometimes some harassment.
They don't incentive the team building; the competition is incentive instead.
Not recommend for IT people; please consider another job.
Graveyard Surprises
Tech Support Rep (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 17, 2014
Have to keep your cool without going out of control. As with the shift I am in, you need to be in many hats and understanding the customers needs.
Good environment.
Customer Solutions Expert (Current Employee), Calgary, AlbertaFebruary 9, 2014
Customer service.
Management is good
co workers are good
work life balance is hard.
the culture.
NA
Technical Support/Customer Service (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 6, 2014
Good salary
More work/life balance is required
Shaw
Business Sales/Customer Solutions Specialist (Former Employee), Kelowna BCFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: good benifits
Cons: very stressful enviroment
Good short time employment. They start off good but once you are trained it's all down hill. It's not what you know but who you know at this company. Good luck with advancement if you are not in with the in crowd.

Hard work good pay but once they think they've milked you dry or they need to make room for someone else they become bullies and spare no – more... mercy. – less
Great company and company values
Commercial Installer and Sales (Former Employee), Vancouver and Prince GeorgeJanuary 13, 2014
Pros: lots of prizes and staff incentives
Cons: -40 degrees weather
Shaw Cable was a great company to work and I gained a lot of knowledge from my time with the company.
fun place to work, management not so friendly
Technical Support Consultant (Current Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 26, 2013
Pros: inexpensive cafeteria food that tastes great. good benefits
Cons: supervisors and management has a non chalant air about them and not very friendly.
great co workers, and fun work environment. their benefits package is amazing. but the supervisors are difficult to get along with.
TSR
TSR (Former Employee), EdmontonDecember 26, 2013
Pros: na
Cons: na
Call centre inbound calls duties, cable and internet issues.
extremely non-professional environment
QA Analyst (Current Employee), CaglaryDecember 6, 2013
Shaw is not a good place to work
1. No processes are defined
2. Management want to get the work done in their estimated time
3. If there are delays in project due to any valid reason non of those are consider and you have to finish to task on time
4. There is so much politics and managers are like to practice a lot of favoritism
5. if you are good with – more... a manager you can get hire you wife even if she does not know anything about computers
6. Managers treat their team like slaves
7.Sitting place is an open environment so there is lot of distraction due to the noise created the people laughing , gossiping , joking , yelling doing everything except work.
overall its a true non-professional enviroment – less
Run don't walk away from this place.
Talent at Shaw TV (Former Employee), EdmontonNovember 30, 2013
Pros: benefits, & triple play rate deductions.
Cons: management - in particular the supervisors are bullies, very cliquey, high school mentality
Shaw itself is a great company to work for with amazing perks, benefits and advancement possibilities.

However, for some departments, if you are not part of the popular clique, you're looked down upon, mocked, or ignored - until one of the in crowd wants something - then they're your best friend.

Dare to say no, for any reason, to any clique member – more... request and before you know it, you're pulled into managements office, tag teamed or triple teamed, and being accused of not being a team player or worse.

Shaw prefers its employees to have a sheep like mentality. Dare to have an original thought and again, you're cast out as being not a team player.

The management team rarely recognized the hard work, drive and determination of non preferred team members. Instead, these true team players were ridiculed, sometimes publicly mocked, and again ostracized. They were often used as a lesson for other non preferred staff members - to get in line or this will happen to you.

HR was no better than the management team - often taking their cues from the management team. Go to them with a grievance, and again, you're cast out as not being a team player and you will pay for trying to stand up for yourself.

It's been awhile since I worked at Shaw, but the scars of being bullied day in and day out are still quite fresh. I now work for a company with an amazing manager / supervisor and team. The very things I used to be mocked, or bullied for at shaw - I'm routinely rewarded and recognized for. My current team works together for the greater good of the company. This unfortunately was not the case at Shaw TV Edmonton.

Until Shaw TV Edmonton management, in particular the supervisors, can live the company values they clearly have no problem shoving down their employee's throat, and treats all employees equally, I would highly recommend to run not walk away from this place. – less
Excellent work life balance, good benefits.
Service Technician (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 14, 2013
Pros: excellent benefits
Cons: long hours (12 hours)
A typical day at work involved printing, organizing and grabbing equipment related to my run for the day. Time management was key to completing every job within the time slot provided to each customer. Troubleshooting started from the outside pedestal all the way through to the individual device having problems indicated on the call sheet. One call – more... resolution was the goal, I had a personal call "repeat" rate of 7% (quite low). The day ended after every call was complete, vehicles were cleaned and maintained and run sheets were handed in with order numbers, in/out times and resolution codes.

I learned a great deal about the cable industry and RF problems related to the cable plant, equipment and customer devices. I also learned to be able to work autonomously, managing a fairly heavy workload into a reasonably tight time frame.

Management was minimal, with bi-weekly meetings keeping the techs up to date on company happenings, requirements and protocols.

My co-workers were a good group of guys I was happy to call friends, always willing to help each other out of any jams throughout the day and even chiming in with helpful advise via our chat group on their days off. Very exceptional.

The hardest part of my job was definitely keeping to my work day schedule. You could never exactly predict in advance how one call could turn out or how long it could take, so properly managing my time while keeping customers satisfied and managing their expectations was a challenge.

The best part of my job was leaving each individual customer completely satisfied with the service I was able to perform, making sure that they knew I had done my best to help them in any way I could! – less
Good customer oriented company
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee), TorontoNovember 14, 2013
Team work is the key, everything comes after, just be prepared to work long hours and its excellent.
Amazing place to work.
Coordinator (Current Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 29, 2013
Pros: flexible hours, great pay, great benefits, great people
Shaw is an amazing place to work. The culture, people, benefits and pay are second to none.
I have never worked in a place that makes me want to give 150% all day everyday, this is that place.
Fun place to work with lots of activities
Business Sales Expert/Loyalty Care Representative (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCOctober 9, 2013
Pros: free snacks, outstanding cable package
Cons: no transfers from one city to another
Exceptional management staff. Great team environment with very understanding management staff.
Very supportive management
Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 24, 2013
Had a long and great career at Shaw. The management team is extremely supportive.
hard working for sure
TSR (Former Employee), CalgarySeptember 18, 2013
Pros: benefits from day one
Cons: being treated as if being under servitude with no hope of becoming free
Having worked at Shaw I can honestly say that they are probably the worst employer I have ever worked for. All management does is criticize front end staff and in all my time there I never got one compliment for doing a good job on anything. They have a zero tolerance for any absenteeism and expect you to buy into their culture, of which they never – more... tell you what it is. They promote work/life balance but do not practice it. If you want to work there be prepared for up to 5 different start times in a one week period and definitely don't expect to get a Saturday or Sunday off. As you will be hired as permanent part time note that your schedule is only done for three weeks ahead and good luck trying to take vacation. In this time I was there I was unable to get any vacation time as it was never available. The wages are non competitive and management is definitely incompetent to say the least. – less
Shaw is a great company to work for.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Kelowna, BCAugust 21, 2013
Pros: annual bonus sharing, discounted shaw service
Cons: older building, lack of parking
A typical day at Shaw is always busy. The Retention department allows more time on the phone with customers to provide a more personal touch. We do get some escalated customers, so need to handle with care.
I have learned to be a better listener, have more patience, and show empathy, allowing customers to explain their understanding of the service with – more... Shaw.
Management at Shaw, we feel empowered and respected.
We are in a smaller department and have become a cohesive team. Outside activities together also help bonding.
Hardest part of the job, customers who have already made up their minds about Shaw and do not wish to discuss alternative options for their accounts.
Most enjoyable part of the job are my friends I have made at Shaw. – less
Flexible work place, great benefits
Customer Services Representative (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 11, 2013
Pros: benefits and perks
Cons: shift work, and sales push
Good place to work, great benefits and perks. Co workers were good to be around and a lot of nice people. Management was very understanding and easy to approach. Dealing daily with rude and angry customers could get stressful at times.

1 2 3