Shaw Communications Employee Reviews

If you miss high school, this is the job for you!
CUSTOMER SOLUTIONS EXPERT (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 July 2017
Spend my days calling my life away as a telemarketer. On my team I feel english was not the primary language. Cold calling signing up customers for internet/cable. Reached my targets for the most part. underperformers will get yelled at and talked to at weekly/monthly reviews. Stressful job for the most part but could be fun. People can be master of their domains. Lots of sugar and food to be passed around.
Pros
GREAT BENEFITS! Everyone is pretty close knit
Cons
favoritism amongst the staff. bunch of kids not acting their age. much to do about nothing
Best Place to Work
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 July 2017
Shaw is one of the best employer in Canada. People in Shaw are very friendly, it's culture truly represents diversity. Wage is very competitive according to industry standards and it has lots of opportunities to grow inside the organization.
Pros
Career opportunities, friendly environment, Good wage
great training and software programs
Team Leader Internet Sales (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC17 July 2017
It is a typical big corporation environment. You are monitored by the second for every phone call you take, regardless of the department you work in and graded and assessed by your manager based on each recorded phone call. I would not recommend.
Pros
some benefits for f/t employees
Cons
managers are not supportive
Average company
Test Lead (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 July 2017
Less than industry average salary
Poor management and planning skills
No career path for growth
Hiring and talent recognition and retaining is appalling
Pros
Diversity
Great work place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC13 July 2017
This is another great work place, wonderful and loving staffs to work with. Very kind and considerate managers to work under. Love working for them but the company sold to Roger's Cable, so must move on.
awesome place to work
Door to door sales (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 July 2017
working here since 2 years and still love it , can,t imagine of working at any other place after this one , different depts have different perks depends on you
Good company
Coordinator Tech Support (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 July 2017
-regular business hours
-Learned new technical and soft skills
-Worked in technical, customer service, telephony and provisioning and TV repair departments
-worked in scheduling department
Productive but not a fun workplace.
Business Intelligence Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 July 2017
Work long hours, under stress, and life balance almost below average. Workplace culture is acceptable. Employee development such as training is below average.
Great work environmental, decent pay, fantastic benefits plan
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC7 July 2017
Great work environment, really casual, management is very approachable. Almost 5 weeks of full time training provided. The job can be challenging, lots of multi-tasking, some customers can be very unpleasant on the phone but the vast majority are as friendly as you are. As well, the company is a real stickler with metrics, being on time to the second, call stats, etc. Coworkers are great, can't speak for other locations, but the Victoria call center has a great group of people. Great benefits plan, even for part time staff.

The scheduling is the main issue I have with working there. You're expected to be available from 7am - 10pm 7 days a week and they will rotate you between the two every few weeks. As of right now (this may be changing), you cannot have a preference for times/days. They will schedule around your school schedule if you're student. You can trade shifts, but sometimes it's difficult to find someone to trade with. This makes it very difficult to have a second job, which is necessary for most people, as you start part time and are only guaranteed 20 hours a week.

Good job overall, great people, I like the company, challenging work, changes everyday. If they can tweak their scheduling a little to allow for a preference in shift times, it would an excellent place to work. Especially if you're younger and looking to gain some solid office and customer service experience with alright pay.
Pros
Work culture, benefits plan, decent pay for the job
Cons
Scheduling and shft times, it's a call center so it can be very stressful
Enjoyable place to work
Customer Service / Administration (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 July 2017
Very social office sometimes too social could get very loud at times when your on the phone with a customer sometimes you would have to make hand signals for co-workers to quiet down.
Pros
Very social
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC6 July 2017
I started in the office and moved outside to service after about 18 months. Spent about 8 years doing service, worked with great guys. Management listed to us...well on the local level anyways
Fun & Relaxed Environnment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 July 2017
I found Shaw to be a very relaxed and fair environment to work. Hours were flexible and the training provided was outstanding. The management was honest. Overall, great career experience!
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 July 2017
Great place to work for newcomers and students as well as for advanced specialists. Great working environment and culture. Great people and management. Fun and relaxing atmosthere to work.
Pros
Location, Benefits, Stable workplace
Cons
Tough schedule (shifts 7am-10pm, unfare commissions)
Terrible Management
In-Home Solutions Expert (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC30 June 2017
Although Mr. Shaw is a great person, the company has the most terrible managers in sales and in service. The pay and the benefits are good. They are above average.
Benefits
Cons
Bad managers
Cse
Customer Solutions Expert (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC28 June 2017
Started my day by contacting my follow ups made sure all their inquires were answered, booked a date for install. Management provided us with bonuses and prices as well as games while working to motivate us. I think the hardest part of the job was actually convincing the customer to try Shaw services. I can sat that the best part of my job was being able to get what the customer needed as well as being with all the people I worked with, we weren't just a team we were a family.
Pros
free lunch, snaks, drinks, gift cards and bonuses
Cons
un asnwered calls
Shaw Cable
Service technician (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC23 June 2017
Shaw offers a lot of in house training to employees to help them deal with customer complaints, dealing with escalated customers, empathizing and difussing challenging situations, working well with a team and numerous other programs.

Their benefit package is amazing and one of the best in the industry.
Amazing place to work
Product Specialist (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC22 June 2017
Shaw is a quality company that provides competitive wages and full medical coverage for all workers (part-time and full-time). Their work community is also very welcoming.
Pros
Great benefits, flexiable hours
good for a call centre
Customer Service Sales and Billing Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 June 2017
It was my first call centre job and it was actually quite nice. There was a lot of team building and good times for the employees. Something changed a year into the job where management restructured and the vibe was different. It might have changed now but we wouldn't know as they closed down the alberta call centres.
no sense of loyalty
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Castlegar, BC15 June 2017
One of Shaw Communications' key values is Loyalty, but that only seems to go 1 way. Shaw feels no loyalty to long term staff. I was let go after 16 years with no explanation.
Benefits and pay was good, but job and work life balance was an issue.
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 June 2017
Shaw was a very good place to work, but it was very difficult to get scheduled for a time that will accommodate personal life. Working in technical support is basic phone call customer service, but focusing on best value best experience, you will learn most of the job through hands-on and not so much in training class. Workplace culture goal is to be fun and engaged but it's hard to recognize that for there are very little times you can have off phones. The hardest part of the job is trying to balance your KPI in all aspect but the most enjoyable part is meeting the people there.
Pros
Great people
Cons
No time for personal life

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shaw Communications. Our community is ready to answer.