Shaw Communications Employee Reviews

Poor Management and Corporate leadership
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  BC4 December 2016
Company lacks proper leadership and foresight/planning. Very reactive, and offering poor job security with massive layoffs every 2-4 years.
Fun and upbeat
Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC1 December 2016
There is not a single person working in the Kelowna Shaw building that i dislike. They make sure to hire only fun people that they also know will succeed in the role.
Fast-paced job with an engaging work environment
Customer Advisor and Loyalty Care (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC30 November 2016
This job is fast-paced and high-intensity when it is busy, but allows for growth of communication and computer skills as well as challenging employees to build rapport and empathy with customers. Workplace was large and somewhat overwhelming for those who might enjoy fewer coworkers (500+ in office) but provides plenty of social interaction and team-building opportunities.
fun work place with many great friends to make!
CSR - CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC29 November 2016
Typical day at work is logging into your computer at the time you start and answering phone calls non stop with about a 2-3 minute break in between and helping customers with whatever they might be calling in about pertaining to sales, bill clarification, payments, general customer inquiries. What i have learned is providing great customer service in my own way and nothing scripted. Learned alot of technical expertise. Management is barely often heard from, in my time in tsr I never yet once spoken to my manager, thats why we have supervisors. It seems like all management is focused on is always hitting targets without the sight of how their employees are doing and what they have to say about anything. Hardest part of the job is taking escalation calls, it takes a toll on you mentally and it is hard to go on when you take a lot of verbal abuse from customers. the endless call to call work is also draining, not much lee way in between calls with supervisors always watching.The most enjoyable part of work is some enjoyable customers and great conversations, but the best thing is the people you work with.
Pros
lots of friends to make, company stock option, benefits, commision
Cons
endless calls, no rest time between calls, no trust from supervisors and management in their employees.
it sucks- not happy
Help Desk Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 November 2016
management doesn't know about the workers, dissatisfied-

not happy to work- no promotions- not recommending to anyone
- too much politics
Pros
nothing
Decent experience
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC27 November 2016
As a volunteer I had very little experience with the crew and environment however it had been entertaining. I enjoyed the experience.
very professional shop
TSR (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 November 2016
no fool around business approach. good support staff. great benefits package. Is moving towards all deparments vbeing responsible to sell the products of the company.
Positive work environment with room for advancement.
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 November 2016
Working at the call centre entails making inbound/outbound calls. Time was of the essence as was quality customer care service. We worked in a team with a supportive supervisor whom we reported to. All the other teams and leads were always more than willing to help. My role was to help customers resolve any technical/billing/sales/general issues regarding their products and services. I was constantly learning something new, however taking calls daily because very monotonous quickly. Because the call centre is very time sensitive, everything was micromanaged. Overall, the experience was not bad.
A large and diverse company with a variety of opportunites and leadership styles
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 November 2016
Great company to work for but has its challenges with creating a similar work experience \ collaboration across its many business silo's.
Pros
A lot of passionate people that create a positive unique work envoiroment
Cons
Has always been challenged with its top down leadership style
Fun and Productive Workplace
Administrative Agent (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 November 2016
I currently work in a fun and productive workplace that encourages teamwork. My current position requires us to work independently but yet on a team working towards a common goal. This encourages communication which is key when working towards a shared goal.
Wonderful people to be around
Network Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 November 2016
Going from a Technical Support role to a Network Analyst role was a fairly large learning curve, because of all the great people I worked with my success was due to the support I received.

The hardest part of the job was being laid off, I woke up almost every day excited to be going to work. Sure the hours were long and some days we had to triage multiple outages, but we always got our job done.
Pros
Cons
Bad weather meant busy days.
excellent pay
Technical Field Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 November 2016
On the job training, but no certifications. Learned many skills however company is constantly adding more and more responsibilities to your daily workload. Management seems to be purged and restructured every year. Moral is very low. The most difficult part of the job is the fact that your job is not secure. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people everyday.
Decent Place to Work
Inside Sales (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 November 2016
Shaw compensates it's employee's well. However asks a lot out of them. I saw little room for advancement, however you can be moved around if you so wish from department to department. Overall I good place to learn about corporate structure and how large scale companies work.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Long Hours
Horrible ...
IT Technician (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC14 November 2016
No communication, management is a bunch of clowns. Everyone sleeps together. Some departments act entitled. Many clicks, just be cautious.
Pros
Medical
Cons
Nanaimo Clowns running the show
growth and skill development with good benefits
Technical Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 November 2016
Shaw is a great place to work at especially if you are looking for finding a balance in work and personal life. The environment is positive and the management helps you to accomplish your goals.
Needs to listen to their employees and provide support
Customer Care (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 November 2016
The benefits are good however the company needs to listen to the employees more. Along with doing a better job of hiring the right people with the right values for the company. The hardest part of the job would be at times dealing with irate customers that ask for irresponsible request. Along with employees taking accountability for their actions
Pros
benefit, pay
Cons
hours and work life balance
friendly and helpful enviroment
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 November 2016
The company provide good benefits. Friendly and helpful managers.
Also they motivate employee to do the best they can. They have activities which is the employee will enjoy and improve the performance.
Excellent and exciting workplace
Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 November 2016
A focused and successful business. Engaged leadership continually helps and pushes its employees. A large enterprise with many customers always pressing for more.
Great place to work as a technician, unless there are surprise layoffs.
Technical Field Representative (Installer) (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 November 2016
Best job I've ever had. I wanted to stay there until I was too old to continue. Unfortunately the bottom line caused layoffs. I worked as piece rate installer for over 6 years, this allowed me to run my own work day and manage my own hours for the most part. Unfortunately most good things come to an end. Highly stressful at first until you learn the job fully, if you are good at time management the stress disappears later on.

I would go back in a heartbeat, but that is not an option.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Layoffs
Decent group of guys to work with
CATV Installer Technican (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 November 2016
Guys in the field were great and support staff did well helping us even though theirs hands were tied most of the time due to leadership micro managing everyone rather than trusting them to do their job the way they new how for the betterment of all involved.
Pros
cheaper cable and internet
Cons
poor safety regs and it wasn't fun being around any of the management anymore.