Shaw Communications Employee Reviews

Excellent organization to be associated with.
Customer Service/Technical Support Representitive (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 September 2016
Overall an excellent organization to be with. Good supervisory guidance and support. Co-workers co-operative and concerned with providing client support. They have good training program for new employees as well as training for upgrading your skills as you progress. Company provides a comprehensive benefits package of services, health and medical. They are also is very active in the community and national charities. The management organization is supportive and in very interested in ensuring an excellent service for their clients and investors as well as ensuring employee are knowledgeable of the direction the company is going.
Pros
Excellent trainning and benefits
Cons
Shift hours
A fun place to work with amazing benefits
Customer Service and Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 July 2016
A fun environment to work in with great co workers, great place to learn new things, amazing benefits, and good for work/life balance. Management is very friendly and is always there to help. A typical day at work for me was answering phones, taking sales/billing/technical calls about Shaw services.

The hardest part of my job was dealing with a customer who would call in just to yell and scream, or get upset because something would not work which is part of the territory. The best part of my day was being able to make a customer happy and knowing they were getting good service on my part. One of the many things I learned being a part of the Shaw family was to become a leader for new hires and my co workers in general.
Pros
great benefits, good management, friendly co workers, decent pay, a lot of different activities such as golf tournaments, free lunches, etc
Cons
company politics can get in the way, not enough communication within the company, lots of gossip
A good work enviroment to start out in
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB12 July 2016
Some of the management ways are a bit outdated. They will basically look at you from the start and decide where they want you to go in the company. Even if you apply for different positions if your current manager doesn't think that is the direction for you they will black ball you.

Also they treat you just like a number and work you as hard as they can. Raises are next to nothing if you do get get one at all. Reviews always focus on negatives and never provide positive feedback.

As the culture is dog eat dog some will try to step over you do get more money.
Needs to listen to their employees and provide support
Customer Care (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 November 2016
The benefits are good however the company needs to listen to the employees more. Along with doing a better job of hiring the right people with the right values for the company. The hardest part of the job would be at times dealing with irate customers that ask for irresponsible request. Along with employees taking accountability for their actions
Pros
benefit, pay
Cons
hours and work life balance
great company culture and a good transition job for a graduate
In Home Solutions Consultant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 September 2016
A typical day at work:
- cold call potential customers
- record information on spreadsheet
- follow up calls with warm customers

Learned:
- modern day selling techniques
- product knowledge

Management:
- hands off management

Co-workers:
- friendly but not supportive

Hardest part of the job:
- maintaining positive attitude

Most enjoyable part of the job:
- getting to know co-workers
Pros
great health benefits
Cons
low starting salary
work review
Customer Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 July 2016
Fast-paced, required multi-tasking, which I had no problem with>learned what it required to speak with so many different types of people, and that it helped to adapt to them, relate to them.
Co-workers were kind, it was a joy to see them everyday.
the hardest part was probably getting reviewed by a customer in surveys, & really not knowing what was going to be said, they could give a bad review on your call if they were upset about the company in general, or an interaction with someone else entirely, that had nothing to do with you.
The most enjoyable part of the job was to speak with different/new customers everyday.
Pros
great benefits, co-workers were kind, loved the job
Cons
schedule fluctuated spontaneously/affected my health
Decent Place to Work
Inside Sales (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 November 2016
Shaw compensates it's employee's well. However asks a lot out of them. I saw little room for advancement, however you can be moved around if you so wish from department to department. Overall I good place to learn about corporate structure and how large scale companies work.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Long Hours
Great entry job
Cable Technician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 May 2016
I would say that working at Shaw teaches you a lot about the business world. Depending on who is your leader there is a lot of favoritism and there can be internal politics on who gets what which does deter from the overall experience. However, the pay is OK and the benefits are nice (dental/health). Again, depending on which department and leader you have, you can enjoy a relaxed work environment or a micromanaged nightmare. Shaw is really made by the people who work there.
I know this also has nothing to do with the current management but there are a lot of 'restructures' that take place within the company which does throw the whole job security out the window.
Pros
Good benefits and start
Cons
Layoffs and Politics
fun work place with many great friends to make!
CSR - CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC29 November 2016
Typical day at work is logging into your computer at the time you start and answering phone calls non stop with about a 2-3 minute break in between and helping customers with whatever they might be calling in about pertaining to sales, bill clarification, payments, general customer inquiries. What i have learned is providing great customer service in my own way and nothing scripted. Learned alot of technical expertise. Management is barely often heard from, in my time in tsr I never yet once spoken to my manager, thats why we have supervisors. It seems like all management is focused on is always hitting targets without the sight of how their employees are doing and what they have to say about anything. Hardest part of the job is taking escalation calls, it takes a toll on you mentally and it is hard to go on when you take a lot of verbal abuse from customers. the endless call to call work is also draining, not much lee way in between calls with supervisors always watching.The most enjoyable part of work is some enjoyable customers and great conversations, but the best thing is the people you work with.
Pros
lots of friends to make, company stock option, benefits, commision
Cons
endless calls, no rest time between calls, no trust from supervisors and management in their employees.
Shaw Cables & Communications, Excellent place/company to work with.
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 July 2016
- Shaw Cables & Communications, Excellent place/company to work with. The company provides great benefits & values.
- For me, a typical day at work in the company, simply full of energy as the company not only provide an enjoyable & healthy working environment but also with a lot of news opportunities to learn new technologies & ideas from a very supportive team right from an team member to a Manager,
- Overall, it was a great experience for me to work for such a wonderful company.
Productive and fun work atmosphere
Customer Service Representative/Moves Consultant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 May 2016
Shaw Cable is a productive positive atmosphere to work in. Customers can be extremely short tempered when calling. Shaw Cables coaching material is structured in a way that empowers and educates its reps to have confidence and ease when dealing with the customers.
Management lacks stability and is constantly changing the guidelines without notice.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the working conditions and other representatives I worked along side with.
Pros
Working conditions, Benefits
Cons
Shift work, Management
Rise and Fall of a good company
CSR/TSR/Retail Sales (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 September 2016
Learned with the Company of all the new technologies. Was a good family based company with family values, that had excellent rate of retaining customers and had great customer service. Rapid expansion left the (people powered) theme behind.
Pros
great health and dental benefits, and very people oriented in the beginning
Cons
became greedy for sales and territories.
Horrible corperate culture
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC23 August 2016
just a horrible place to work.

Friends get promoted, while hard working employees hitting their goals get bypassed.

Run away as fast you can
benefits
Cons
hours, environment, pay, management, only 30 cents in raises in 3 years
Not a company for highly experienced or talented people
Digital Markting Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 November 2016
Shaw is a good company for people that are ok with a place where
progress happens slowly and people lack vision and technical knowledge to recognize what the obvious next steps are.
Also a place where seniority always outranks logic.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Low Salary
Passionate work environment
Customer Solutions Expert (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 May 2016
A typical day at Shaw is always full of energy and passion, every day is a great day to work at Shaw because you learn so much. In this job, you get to talk to so many different people resulting in a wider knowledge of people and the psychology behind people, selling and relationships. That is one of the best parts of the job because this kind of knowledge can help you a lot in your outside life at work and future opportunities. The management is very good also, they are always 100 percent transparent to the employees, they always give feedback which makes employees grow as a person. My co-workers are always great and full of energy, they are very supportive and they are there for me 100 percent of the time, whenever i need help, we all help each other grow as a team. The hardest part of the job was getting over the objections by customers but at the same time it is also the most enjoyable and my favorite part of the game because when you get over the objection, it is the best feeling ever, it is like a mental chess game.
Pros
Amazing Benefits
Cons
late shifts
Amazing company to work for
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 September 2016
Great atmosphere
Appreciate and respect employees
Good benefits
Good leadership/management
Fun place to work
Friendly co-workers
Busy atmosphere
Pros
Fun Employee events outside of work
Cons
Some managers are difficult
good salary
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 August 2016
The job was great, as I enjoy dealing with customers, but management were actually a detriment to productivity. Most of the day was spent solving customers inquiries such as adding or removing service, solving billing issues.
Pros
salary was great
Cons
scheduling
friendly and helpful enviroment
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 November 2016
The company provide good benefits. Friendly and helpful managers.
Also they motivate employee to do the best they can. They have activities which is the employee will enjoy and improve the performance.
Best Company to work with
Customer Solutions Expert (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 August 2016
Shaw is one of the best company to work with, they takes care of the employe plus the benefits are so good. Co- Workers are very good, always ready to help each other.
Pros
Good Work environment, Amazing Benefits, Scope for growth
Cons
Can't find any
fun to talk to people on the phone and made awesome commission top ups!
Customer Service Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 March 2016
A typical day at work varies, however the nature of job is repetitive. I learned plenty of effective communication skills, working independently and with a team. The higher management was not so great, but some of my supervisors were just amazing! they always provided me with great feedbacks and future learning opportunities. My co-workers were mostly students, I get along with almost everyone. Hardest part of the job was to know detailed process of the CBS system. We often had fun activities on the weekends. work life balance was not so great. we all got laid off!!
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
no work life balance and higher management