Shaw Communications

Shaw Communications Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
fun to talk to people on the phone and made awesome commission top ups!
Customer Service Sales Rep (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 2, 2016
Pros: pay and benefits
Cons: no work life balance and higher management
A typical day at work varies, however the nature of job is repetitive. I learned plenty of effective communication skills, working independently and with a team. The higher management was not so great, but some of my supervisors were just amazing! they always provided me with great feedbacks and future learning opportunities. My co-workers were mostly students, I get along with almost everyone. Hardest part of the job was to know detailed process of the CBS system. We often had fun activities on the weekends. work life balance was not so great. we all got laid off!!
Open enviroment to grow your carrer
Sales Supervisor (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 9, 2016
Pros: Fun atmosphere
Cons: Job stability
Develop the sales and service skills of a team of representatives dedicated to the delivery of World Class Customer Service
Oversee performance management process for team (i.e.. coaching, performance reviews, disciplinary actions)
Provide ongoing support to direct report team members including: coaching, performance reviews, schedule and vacation requests, compensation/ incentive conversations, and performance management
Coaching includes regular observations and feedback on behaviors, results, and career development. Performance management includes providing clarity around exceptions and timely appropriate follow up on consequences both positive and corrective in nature
Achieve monthly team sales and upgrade targets
Develop, deploy and manage sales and service incentive programs
Prepare detailed reports on various key performance indicators and recommends strategies to close gaps
good place to work at
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 20, 2016
Pros: commission
Cons: long hours
i starts my day taking billing,sales calls helping customer.
have lunch at my desk.
attend training sessions and if any changes in the company.

working in a team of 15 members however Shaw has 21 floors of different team .

Hardest part when customer comes with homework of companis and services comparison between telus and shaw, and then make them understand and convince them for Shaw.

enjoyable part is the tower we r working at awesome view 8th floor,
doing pizza parties and all.
Management is awesome getting all kind of support from each individual.
Family Owned and Operated.. Employees treated like family as well!
Customer Accounts Representative (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 21, 2015
Pros: Rewards when exceeding company goals, free Coffee, heathy snacks
Cons: Long hours if requested
Family owned and operated and employees would feel like family as well. Shaw would always take the time to acknowledge its employees throughout the year with BBQs, out of office events and training and outstanding Christmas events for employees and their children.
Lots of incentive to improve skills, advancement opportunities with supportive colleagues and management.
Competitive wages and bonus opportunities!
Free tea, coffee and Healthy snacks everyday.. what more could you ask for..
The only reason I left this company was due to a move from the West part of Canada back to my home town on the East Coast ..
Productive Place to work with lots of Incentives & Tools for motivation
In Home Solutions Consultant (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCJanuary 26, 2016
Shaw is a family-oriented, Canadian owned business with over 14,000 employees across the country, providing services to more than 3 million customers with top quality cable TV, Internet, digital phone, direct-to-home satellite services, and programming including Global Television and 19 of the country's most popular specialty channels.

At Shaw we believe a diverse workforce fosters diversity of thought and perspective, and more diversity means more solutions. We invite all qualified individuals to apply.

Career Opportunity: Technical Service Representative (Multicultural - Cantonese Speaking)

We have an exciting opportunity for a Technical Support Representative working in our inbound call center in our Vancouver office. Reporting to the Supervisor, Technical Support, the successful candidate will be accountable for answering calls from new and existing customers with a focus on technical support and promoting the features, benefits and advantages of Shaw products and services to our customers.
A friendly corporate environment with a strong culture.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 13, 2016
Pros: Good pay. Good people. Great benefits. Stock options.
Cons: Repetitive work. Sedentary in nature. Inconsistent shifts/hours.
Shaw is a great place to ease one's self into the corporate world. A typical day at work will consist of passing by the Starbucks on the first floor, sitting down to any available desk and start taking calls. No cubicles, very social setting. I have learned a great deal about the ins and outs of the telecommunications world, about dealing with just about every demographic in terms of customers. Management in my specific department is airtight and gets above average results, but other parts of the company could use some work, from my perspective. My coworkers are good people and some of them have become real friends. One of the more difficult things about the job to deal with on a daily basis is how enormous of a corporation it actually is, and more specifically how unlikely movement within the company feels as well as how focused on the bottom line virtually everything appears to ride on. I enjoy the people I work with and I enjoy being able to be creative on occasion when I can write an informational email or blog for my team. I can be myself most of the time.
overall great place to work, and start a career for a young person out of school
technical support rep (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONDecember 21, 2015
this is a great company to work for. they are very focussed on the clients and giving the best overall customer services.

employees share in the success of the company aswell by getting a bonus if performance is good for the year.

benefits are great and rival some of the top companies in canada.

work enviroment changes due to management or new procedures however usually its very fun and lite hearted .
The work/life balance has been declining recently.
eCare Technical Service Representative (Current Employee), Nanaimo, BCNovember 14, 2015
Pros: Benefits, the Staff, wage, vacation and stat days
Cons: Scheduling. It should be performance based, or even lifestyle based. I am a mother of 2 kids under age 9, when I get scheduling 2:30pm-10:30pm - I literally never see them awake.
We recently went through some scheduling changes and there have been very large meetings about Work.Life balance and what would work best for scheduling. We just got introduced to a new schedule system and it is even worse for Work/Life Balance :( It's almost impossible to plan for anything.
Grind it out
Business Sales Consultant, Wifi Specialist (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 8, 2016
Pros: Flexible hours
Cons: Compensation not quite high enough
Multiple departments compete for internet sales in a company that seems to be continually evolving. People there are incredibly loyal and hard working. Management plays favourites to those who perform well of course.
Technical operation representitive (Former Employee), North Vancouver, BCMarch 31, 2016
Pros: Very organized, good future planning
Cons: not that I know of.
It was a pleasure working in an environment that encourage you to learn more in order to have a better career. With friendly staff and rich culture.
Fun environment, but stiff management.
Technical Support Representative. (Current Employee), 14 Fultz Boulevard, Winnipeg Manitoba, CanadaNovember 24, 2015
Pros: Great benefits, good pay, promote from inside the company.
Cons: No definitive values, training is sloppy.
Great work environment. Everyone was very welcoming, and was able to answer any question I could throw at them. Although, when it came down to brass tacks, it seemed like they didn't know how to manage anything, especially when it came down to supervisors. For example, Supervisor A will say that you get three write-ups, then you're done. Supervisor B, will say you get one verbal warning, one write-up, then you're done. All supervisors are completely different and some are a LOT more strict than others.
Easy going relaxed environment, great place to work.
Business Analyst (Current Employee), VancouverSeptember 1, 2015
Pros: Great Management that are very approachable
I would recommed this employer for any one that wishes to further their career. They have great benefits and always have your best interests in mind.
Great and ever growing company
Customer Care Supervisor (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 5, 2015
Pros: Chances for career advancement, excellent management training.
Cons: Long commute from suburbs
Shaw promote's from within, so if you're willing to understand your role and work hard, great chances for advancement. They also have an excellent management training program

Only con for me - main head office/call center is located in downtown Vancouver so makes for quite the daily trek.
nothing to say
Maintenance Tech (Current Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 18, 2015
That’s an interesting question. I love Mondays, mostly because the day flies by in a flash. On a given day, during the early hours you will find me speaking to the clients, finding out – proactively – what their priorities are for the week, meeting with team for half hour to communicate the clients’ needs and organizing the team schedules around the client’s priorities. I do this on Monday so that the rest of the week is well organized and we can effectively use our team’s time in exceeding client’s expectations and avoid Friday evening surprises. Rest of the week goes in delivering the product(s), updating the status with the client, answering emails and calls from our global teams. My role involves extensive management responsibilities and staying organized is not an option
A good place to work, if you can take the stress.
Technical Service Representative (Former Employee), Nanaimo, BCAugust 5, 2015
Pros: Job security, good benefits, fairly good co-workers and management.
Cons: awkward hours, very little shift flexibility, stressful customers.
Of the corporate / big business employers I've had, Shaw was the best. Good pay, excellent benefits and immediate superiors were supportive and I knew where I stood with them. I worked in the call center; my review is from that point of view.
The job is "addictive" in that the money and the security can really lock you into the job. Dental, extended Medical and other health benefits start right at the first day and if you're not doing well at the job, you'll know it very quickly. I found my reviews very courteous and constructively phrased. Shifts are consistent for a given period and notice of shifts is well ahead of time. Scheduling is as flexible as they can be around requested days/weeks off.
It is stressful because people seem to be much more rude over the phone than in person and diplomacy is the number one survival skill. Being able to get someone who *knows* the problem has nothing to do with them to check things on their end is about 40% of your job.
Working on the front lines means shift work and seniority does not improve your choices. It is difficult to commit to social or volunteer activities because the shifts vary from month to month. Call centre work seems to invite micromanagement that adds pressure to become a cookie-cutter while customers want to know they're talking to a real person.
Exciting fast paced environment with a fun atmosphere
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 2, 2016
Was accountable for answering calls from new and existing customers, with a focus on technical support and promoting the features at shaw.
Management rewarded hard work and engagement
A fun environment with amazing pay if you're self motivated.
Customer Solutions Expert (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 19, 2015
During my time at Shaw I enjoyed many of the perks that were thrown our way, perhaps the best perk was the ability to write my own pay cheque being a highly motivated, highly experienced sales person.

I very much enjoyed the people and culture at Shaw. They took a hands on approach with their top sales representatives, rewarding top performers with prestige dinners at Pampa's Brazilian Steak House and Von's Steakhouse. We randomly as a department enjoyed activities such as bowling and BBQ's. My co-workers were amazing and as experienced as I am in my craft, I learned so much from them and felt that people genuinely cared.

The hardest part of my job would consist of some months, maybe taking only a single day off, but the compensation, the commissions I made, absolutely were worth my efforts.
Technical Suport Representative
TECHNIAL SUPPORT REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCJanuary 21, 2016
Pros: Great technology to work with, ergonomics were good.
Cons: Parking, Shaw Kelowna does not have enough employee parking, space and there is limited space along the road, so sometimes you had to park a long ways away. :(
Inbound call centre providing technical support and customer service, so a typical workday involved taking calls from people needing assistance with internet, cable and home phone issues. Secondarily, we also assisted with billing and other customer service inquiries and there was some selling involved as well.
I learned a great deal about computers, modems and routers and so forth and that was probably the toughest part of the job.
The management was great, I always had very good relationships with my managers. Co-workers were great, too. I really didn't have any problems with anyone.
I was an Assistant Trainer for about 8 months and enjoyed imparting my customer service, sales and technical support know-how to new hires. Some of them had never worked in a call centre so they had a lot of questions and it was good to have a small part in their growth.
The most enjoyable part of the job was probably the satisfaction of solving a customer's technical or billing problem, especially in cases where they had already called in before and it never got resolved to their satisfaction before. It was gratifying to solve their problem.
Productive and fun place to work
Service Call Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 17, 2015
Pros: Lots of free lunches and great benefits
Cons: A lot of the tools would stop working
I enjoyed coming to work because of my fellow employees.
We very much became a family while working there. It made me really sad that there was a decision to close down customer service and tech support in our area. I am really happy that Shaw had given the opportunity to move a lot of the employees, who could, to another location.
A typical work day started with quick socialization with my co-workers before checking my emails and starting my work. With what I did I had a lot of flexibility with how I completed my tasks.
I learned a lot about the infrastructure, and how to fix the devices.
The management was great, from with who I had the opportunity to be under. Although there were a few that my co-workers had worked with that had a complained about their managers unfairness.
The hardest part of my job was when I couldn't fix a customer's issue and had to book for a service tech, or not cancel the tech from going. But the most frustrating part was when I found area issues and it took a long time for the back end team to verify the issue, and it would go on for weeks.
The most enjoyable part of my job was when I met my goals and being with my co-works.
A great work environment
Technical Support Representative (TSR) (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 24, 2016
Pros: more benefits
Cons: can be very demanding at times
People are friendly and the supervisors/management are supportive. You are given stock options and other monetary benefits that can grow several thousands in a couple of years. You also enjoy multi-level health and medical benefits. There is also an annual wellness program that entitles you to as much as extra $1,000 that you can use to buy a new laptop or any gadget, enroll in any fitness program, or use for your kids' sports training program.
Headquarters