Shaw Communications

Shaw Communications Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
fast-pace,fun enviorment
shaw direct technical service representative (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 30, 2014
Pros: events, offering ot, meetings
Cons: dealing with cx that had bad days, but making it better for them in the ending
A tyical day would be a customer, calling/ walking-in needing help with survices and tech support, first call resolution was a must task for my expectations, my co-workers felt like I was back at school could be helping a friend with there work and humble. The hardest part I would say for me was in the begging was not knowing what to do and axpect, – more... but the beauty of it drawed me closer to my job and eager of learning which I can say that's what made me enjoy it also feedback was enjoyable hearing all the great things – less
accountable/ fast past environment
Real Time coordinator (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 29, 2014
Every day is different at my current job as we have to manage our call volumes. we have daily tasks that need to be completed as a team and we work together to achieve them.
hardest part about the job is that it is repetitive at time some more then other. no where to move up in the company.
i enjoy the fast past of this job. i enjoy being able to work – more... with others and alone. – less
Can't type more than 20 WPM? Don't know what a fiber optic line is? You're hired!
CSR (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJuly 18, 2014
Pros: free tea, coffee. cafeteria on site.
Cons: management
I really enjoyed the actual job. I could answer the phones and talk to customers all day, every day. The problem with Shaw is the work *environment*.

They preach from day one that this is a great place, and everyone loves each other, and the main reason they hired us was because we "fit into the culture". Why would you only hire people that all think – more... the same?! How can you improve as a company and have new ideas when everyone just repeat each other? I had some people in my training class that couldn't even type 20 words a minute.

Management was unsupportive and literally went out of their way to ignore my attempts at contacting them for help with improving my skills as a CSR over the course of several months.

In summary: No job stability or room for advancement, kiss butt or die, keep your head down and join a clique, because it doesn't matter how good you are at the job, it's if you FIT IN.

Also, WHY are they hiring when they just laid-off ~380 people?!

(The office in Winnipeg is a very nice building, I'll give them that!) – less
Fun energetic workplace
Technical Support Rep (Current Employee), Calgary ABJune 28, 2014
Pros: positive workplace, fun coworkers, great benefits
Cons: late shifts, no weekends off, split days off
I do enjoy this job. It is a very fun and positive environment.
I enjoy working with so many different people and personalities and having the freedom to choose where I set up my desk for the day.
I have gained a huge amount of customer service experience and technical support troubleshooting of electronics that I can bring with me for the rest of my – more... life.
As many good sides of working in such a positive and fun place. I have sacrificed alot of my personal life. I have not had a consistent schedule since working there. I have never had a weekend off, most of my days off are split and I work the midnight shift. Since Shaw is open 365 I have had to work Christmas Day as well as New Years Day straight until 12:15am. In December Shaw had lost alot of customers in which they cut our hours dramatically. I have lost time with my family and friends and sacrificed a social life of working weekends and nights for this job. – less
Decent job, awful hours
Workforce (Former Employee), EdmontonJune 24, 2014
Pros: job culture, social activities, christmas party
Cons: rotation, questionable management, job security
The job culture and the salary were great, but the hours sucked and there was no time for really any home life activities.Also, in my position the team I worked with did a questionable amount of work which led a few of us to take on extra workload with no consequences thrown at the others.
Not a bad place to work. People are nice.
Tech Support Agent (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJune 15, 2014
Pros: free coffee. large workforce so one gets to meet lots of different people. good benefits pkg.
Cons: irregular hours. some customers can get really mean. some politics observable.
Not a bad place. People are nice and helpful. Working in tech support, you get to deal with different kinds of people on the phone. Most of the time, you are able to help. For the rare times that it is beyond your capabilities, there are people to help out
Good Pay and Benefits Bad cliquiness
CSR (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJune 9, 2014
Pros: free coffee eating, internet use allowed christmas party
Cons: cliquiness biased reviews
Although the pay and benefits were great, Shaw although it prides itself on being Family Orientated, does not believe in work/life balance. Intolerant of any absenteeism, and it is who you know and hang out with that matters.

It reminded me of High School and if they don't like you forget about staying.
Enjoyable work place
Tech support (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 23, 2014
Pros: choice of hours of work
- During my carrier with Shaw I was able to learn a lot of valuable skills. I have learned how to do a lot of admin work along with being able to trouble shoot all sorts of cable and satellite products. Every day was a learning page a long with a calm environment.
Toxic environment. Mediocre management.
Customer Relations (Former Employee), MontrĂ©al, TorontoMay 19, 2014
Pros: salary, benefits, rebates
Cons: management, supervisors, schedules, environment
Shaw is something alright. At first (in training) they wrap you up in their propaganda. They seem almost unbelievable. And they are. They prone their supposed values (integrity, loyalty, respect etc) but boy do they NOT abide by them.
Management is like a little posse clique and if they don't like you, you can start counting your days no matter how – more... good an employee you are. You can only advance depending on how much behind you kiss. They give incentives but you have to fight for WEEKS to get the commissions you deserve AND you have to verify each and every paycheck to make sure you got the money you worked for. They revel in their mediocrity and their lack of professionalism is mind boggling.
They have no respect for their customers and even less for their employee. The lies and things they do to their customers will make you cringe as a human being with a minimal of empathy. For your own good look elsewhere its not worth it. They hire and fire people at an alarming rate and boy do they lie. They've been sued by so many former employees (who won!) Its ridiculous. – less
Great company
TECHNICAL SERVICE DELIVERY/RETAIL/ADMINISTRATION (Former Employee), Prince George, BCMay 18, 2014
Great company to work for. Awesome co-workers and management. coming from Vancouver to Prince George was a great opportunity. I was able to take on many different jobs and learn more about the company.
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee), NanaimoMay 15, 2014
Shaw was a great company. Benefits were fantastic. The staff were friendly with each other. HR events regularly. We even met the CEO in person. I didn't care for my job as tech support as the customers tended to call in angry on a regular basis. I probably would have preferred Customer Service.
provided a great learning experience
technology (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 12, 2014
Was involved with a number of initiatives and worked with a lot of great people.
Great company with great perks!
Business Development Specialist (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 5, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: due to the size, processes and structure, delivery of product lifecycle is extremely long
Shaw is a great organization to work for - especially if you enjoy working in forward-thinking company. Great pay, great benefits and very friendly people.
Sub par
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 5, 2014
I answer calls, make payment arrangements, explain the bill. This is a great company but this is a good job if you don't need guaranteed income, and are great with sales. It's part time, so the hours are flexible. It's shift work, so every week, it's a different schedule.
Great Place to work
Account Manager (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCApril 30, 2014
Pros: working from home, expense account, freedom to implement new ideas
Cons: none really
-Enjoyed my time at Shaw
-Gained very valuable experience to further my career
-Excellent work environment-got to work from home 75% of time
-Got to be out on the road everyday- training sales staff-taking orders, building relationships
-Position allowed me to thrive in the consumer electronics industry...
A fun and upbeat work environment
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONApril 29, 2014
Pros: consistent fun environment and friendly competitions
Cons: late night rotations canbe hard on families with small children
We provided customer care to satellite customers on a 24 hour basis. All staff worked 8 hour shifts and seniority and great work ethic impacted this positively. The hardest part of the job was switching rotation hours and the easiest part of the job was dealing with so many different customers every day.
Company with no morals
CS (Former Employee), Nanaimo,BCApril 16, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: no job security, very poor managers and supervisors.
How is this company hiring, when it just laid off 391 employees across Canada. There is no job security here. Anyone and everyone that has worked for this company all wait for the black Mondays, common term around the Nanaimo office.
It was wonderful to work with bunch of highly enthusiastic people, had one of the best working environments, really appreciate their work ethics.
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 5, 2014
Pros: super energetic working environment
Cons: less vacations
Everyday life was never boring. People around us were amazing, very helpful, managers and supervisors were always helping us to upgrade our skills every single day. Highly competitive working environment, everyday we used to compete by teams or individuals. There were good commission, prizes for achieving goals and benefits. Well, I barely felt anything – more... hard to attain in that company, everyone was so helpful that nothing seemed hard. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people, the supervisors, it was such a friendly working place, we enjoyed our work all the time! – less
Always working to develop new strategies to make the work enviornment a better place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONApril 2, 2014
The hardest part of the job is the lack of breaks between calls.

Management needs to be more up to date on current offers within the work place. Better and advanced training needs to be put in place for mangement, this includes supervisors.

The co-workers are great for the most part.
Amazing company to work for
Loyalty Care Representative (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 23, 2014
Cons: shift work
I have worked at Shaw Communications for the past 7 years. I have moved through out the company and have enjoyed learning about the different aspects of the business.

The individuals that I work are very welcoming and knowledgeable. We have create an amazing atmosphere to come to every day.

1 2 3 4