Shaw Communications

Shaw Communications Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
The company Management is like a Automotive Repair Company in a bigger scale
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 2, 2014
A lot of Strategic Planning required in the Management.
Company should hire more educated rather than relying on experienced people with little or no updated education.
The management should have a perfect blend of old, new talents .
Also most of the management decisions are seems to be gender biased.
Problem solving
Technical Support Rep (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 19, 2014
I learned very much about internet issues, connection with the internet, computer operating systems, email difficulties, dealing with customers on a daily basis, patience
Great company to work with as long as you don't get tangled in office politics
Data Analyst (Former Employee), CalgaryNovember 18, 2014
Pros: health benefits, vacation time, advancement opportunities
Cons: flaky management at times, constant reorganization
Great company to work with but recently they have been doing a lot of reorgs which results in a lot of layoffs.
But all in all, if you play your cards right, there are a lot of opportunities for advancement.
Review Summary
CUSTOMER CARE SUPPORT (Current Employee), CalgaryNovember 11, 2014
Typical day involves taking customer calls, i enjoy the coworkers i have however the management and hours make work/life balance extremely hard to obtain.
Great Culture, fun place to work with great benefits
HR Team Lead - Training/Program Management (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 11, 2014
Pros: fun environment
Cons: no work life balance or role clarity
A typical work week is 37.5 hours, although many employees often worked 40-45 hours.

Shaw provides the ability to cross train with other departments, which for those eager to progress with the company is an added bonus. They are also a performance based company that rewards on performance rather than tenure.

The culture at Shaw creates a friendly – more... and gregarious place to work. Employees often say that they stay for the people, as the culture creates a family like work place. This company likes to work hard, but plays even harder; if you have a strong leader, this makes Shaw a very enjoyable place to work.

The hardest part of the job is lack of clear role mandates and lack of transparency from management in some of the departments. As a result, people can sometimes feel like they are running around in circles with no direction. – less
stady company to work in.
Test and Repair Technician (Current Employee), Mississauga , ONNovember 9, 2014
Pros: very good venefits
Cons: long hours
in a typical day at work I do a repetitive tasks , like test satellite receivers, clean an pack them, sipping and receiving duties
I learned new skills like , how to drive a forklift, how to operate with oracle system, how to deal with Canada post an Purolator shipments, the hardest part of the job is to work stand up all day long
the enjoyable parte – more... of the job is at the end of the day shipped the product on time. – less
High paced, good people
Unit Based Installer (Former Employee), CalgaryNovember 7, 2014
Pros: great schedule
Cons: not enough training options
pick up supplies and work orders
travel to first appointment
complete work tasks
travel to next job.
the most enjoyable part is meeting the customers and
completing a good job.
Outbound Sales
Customer Solutions Expert (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 30, 2014
Pros: great coworkers, great management
During my time at Shaw I was required to learn the internal system, CBS, to help and assist customers with their needs and potentially sell them on new products as well. My hours at Shaw started 12 - 8:30. During those hours, we would be contacting existing customer as well as new customers. Part of the job requirements was to be able to try win back – more... some customers from our competitors or add services to existing customers. We were expected 6 core services per day.

I was also a part of the team that would in charge train new employees with the internal system when they first got on the floor and answering any question that they had.

Even though we had over 70 employees on the floor on separate teams, I got along extremely well with all my coworkers. I believe that every working environment requires a great team working environment. – less
Fun place to work
Business Sales Consultant (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 27, 2014
Pros: great incentives
Cons: not fun much christmas party
Shaw is a great and fun company to work for . I learned a lot about strategic selling and expanding my market in Vancouver business market by looking into future. I had a very fun environment and great coworkers. I enjoyed every second of the sales meetings.
Excellent place to grow skills
Project Manager (Current Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 25, 2014
Pros: freedom
Cons: re-org
Opportunity to create
Lead initiatives from start to finish
Opportunity to expand knowledge
TBD
Accounts receivable (Current Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 15, 2014
I like everything at Shaw but I am looking for new challenges.
Large, well-known telecommunications company
Technical Support Representative (Current Employee), VancouverOctober 11, 2014
Pros: flexible days and hours
Cons: frequent schedule changes
With services from Vancouver Island to Thunder Bay and everywhere in between, and call centres in multiple cities within, there was always a feeling that there were different opportunities available. My role was in the call centre where even there, film and TV productions were done.
Productive and fun place to work, for sure.
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCSeptember 10, 2014
Pros: great people, excellent pay, excellent health benefits.
Cons: some management, commute (downtown).
Loved my time at Shaw, I think its one of the best companies in Canada to work for.
Typical day at work was answering calls from customers, sometimes with less stress, sometimes with more, depending on is there outages or not.
Twice a week there was Healthy Snack, where you can get one piece of fruit and small yogurt.
I learned a lot about team work – more... and met some great people.
About Shaw's management, I will just say that your people are what makes your company, do not treat them as criminals.
My co-workers are some of the best people I have met, always ready to help, curious and polite.
Hardest part of the job was leaving Shaw, nothing was hard for me to do, at Shaw.
Most enjoyable part of the job was sense of belonging, teamwork with people who walk customers shoes and they do it in world class environment with an awesome view of harbor. – less
Busy fast moving
Warehouse Assistant (Former Employee), Sault Ste. Marie, ONAugust 25, 2014
Pros: assisting with the tech's
Cons: heavy lifting
It was always busy but the days went by very fast, my co-workers were always happy people, the hardest part of this job was being up on high ladders stocking heavy boxes, and I enjoyed this job because it was at a fast pace and made the day go by quick.
Team environment
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 22, 2014
Pros: team
Cons: change in management
Promotes team working environment. I learned patience while working at Shaw.
Amazing
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 20, 2014
Pros: free drinks
Cons: always running around
Its a nice envirnment to be working in and people are helpful and they are able to support you and give you good incentives in the comnpany
productive fun workplace
Customer Solutions Representative (Current Employee), kelowna, bcJuly 31, 2014
Pros: free lunches sometimes and incentives
Cons: slow dialing days
I am on the phones all day making calls to sell services to customers. I also book and make call backs to try and make sales.
occasionally help customers with problems as well. we have team meetings most days and a few breaks.
hardest part of the job slow dialing days.
making sales is the most enjoyable parts of my day.
my co workers are awesome we – more... have a great team here.
management is great they are friendly helping and serious when need be. – less
fast-pace,fun enviorment
shaw direct technical service representative (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 30, 2014
Pros: events, offering ot, meetings
Cons: dealing with cx that had bad days, but making it better for them in the ending
A tyical day would be a customer, calling/ walking-in needing help with survices and tech support, first call resolution was a must task for my expectations, my co-workers felt like I was back at school could be helping a friend with there work and humble. The hardest part I would say for me was in the begging was not knowing what to do and axpect, – more... but the beauty of it drawed me closer to my job and eager of learning which I can say that's what made me enjoy it also feedback was enjoyable hearing all the great things – less
accountable/ fast past environment
Real Time coordinator (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 29, 2014
Every day is different at my current job as we have to manage our call volumes. we have daily tasks that need to be completed as a team and we work together to achieve them.
hardest part about the job is that it is repetitive at time some more then other. no where to move up in the company.
i enjoy the fast past of this job. i enjoy being able to work – more... with others and alone. – less
Can't type more than 20 WPM? Don't know what a fiber optic line is? You're hired!
CSR (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJuly 18, 2014
Pros: free tea, coffee. cafeteria on site.
Cons: management
I really enjoyed the actual job. I could answer the phones and talk to customers all day, every day. The problem with Shaw is the work *environment*.

They preach from day one that this is a great place, and everyone loves each other, and the main reason they hired us was because we "fit into the culture". Why would you only hire people that all think – more... the same?! How can you improve as a company and have new ideas when everyone just repeat each other? I had some people in my training class that couldn't even type 20 words a minute.

Management was unsupportive and literally went out of their way to ignore my attempts at contacting them for help with improving my skills as a CSR over the course of several months.

In summary: No job stability or room for advancement, kiss butt or die, keep your head down and join a clique, because it doesn't matter how good you are at the job, it's if you FIT IN.

Also, WHY are they hiring when they just laid-off ~380 people?!

(The office in Winnipeg is a very nice building, I'll give them that!) – less