Shaw Communications

Shaw Communications Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
POsitive envoirnment
Customer Service Representative-Sales (Current Employee), calgaryFebruary 23, 2015
Like my job, great people, good benefits
job advancement opp, less job security

overall a good company to work with.
jjk k ll l l kl kl l k k l
More interested in profits than workers
Installation and Service Lead Technician / Trainer (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 15, 2015
Pros: good benefits
Cons: no respect, safety always second to profits
This position was challenging dealing with the constant drive for numbers with safety and the well being of the worker coming second to profits. If you don't want to do an unsafe job. We can give someone all your work to do, and replace you. Long hours, and weekends, and all stats must be worked including Christmas and New Years. again, if you don't want to work Christmas we will just replace you.
ok
Project Coordinator (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 6, 2015
good place to start your career, management is inflexible and does not change very fast. Culture is not encouraging, not innovative.
Decent pay for the work asked and extensive benefits to make up for a faceless impression.
Supervisory Support (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 31, 2015
Pros: extensive optometry, dental, and pharmaceutical benefits, good pay, friendly staff, and at times fun work.
Cons: rotational shift work & tedious customer interactions at times.
Shaw is a LARGE company that moderately succeeds in meeting its employee's pay-grade and out of work benefit needs. Its largest problem is not providing a "face" for its employees to show that it truly cares about its workforce when it comes to more complicated or personal matters and as a result, at times, can lose its employee engagement, resulting in quick turn-around as I have seen first hand in a supervisory role.
Just a call centre.
Technical Service Representative (Current Employee), EdmontonJanuary 26, 2015
It's a call centre. Employees are just there to answer phones. It is as you would expect it.
Great experience
Architect (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 11, 2015
Pros: strong family focus
Cons: accountability without responsibility
I work with a great team to develop strategy, technology road maps and architecture artifacts in support of a rapidly changing environment.
Very well paid job with little job security
Technical Field Representative (TFR) (Former Employee), Abbotsford, BCDecember 8, 2014
Pros: medical benefits, staff discount
Cons: management is incapable of following through with promises, the company at large treats you as a number - there's no loyalty from the company.
The work is outdoor/indoor. Scope of responsibilities included all wiring from the pole at the street or pedestal to the customer's equipment.
It was my job to install new outlets as required as well.

You are required to work fast and efficiently either on your own or part of a team. My favorite part of the job was being able to do my job without somebody breathing down my neck

Benefits were fantastic.
The company Management is like a Automotive Repair Company in a bigger scale
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 2, 2014
A lot of Strategic Planning required in the Management.
Company should hire more educated rather than relying on experienced people with little or no updated education.
The management should have a perfect blend of old, new talents .
Also most of the management decisions are seems to be gender biased.
Problem solving
Technical Support Rep (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 19, 2014
I learned very much about internet issues, connection with the internet, computer operating systems, email difficulties, dealing with customers on a daily basis, patience
Great company to work with as long as you don't get tangled in office politics
Data Analyst (Former Employee), CalgaryNovember 18, 2014
Pros: health benefits, vacation time, advancement opportunities
Cons: flaky management at times, constant reorganization
Great company to work with but recently they have been doing a lot of reorgs which results in a lot of layoffs.
But all in all, if you play your cards right, there are a lot of opportunities for advancement.
Review Summary
CUSTOMER CARE SUPPORT (Current Employee), CalgaryNovember 11, 2014
Typical day involves taking customer calls, i enjoy the coworkers i have however the management and hours make work/life balance extremely hard to obtain.
Great Culture, fun place to work with great benefits
HR Team Lead - Training/Program Management (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 11, 2014
Pros: fun environment
Cons: no work life balance or role clarity
A typical work week is 37.5 hours, although many employees often worked 40-45 hours.

Shaw provides the ability to cross train with other departments, which for those eager to progress with the company is an added bonus. They are also a performance based company that rewards on performance rather than tenure.

The culture at Shaw creates a friendly and gregarious place to work. Employees often say that they stay for the people, as the culture creates a family like work place. This company likes to work hard, but plays even harder; if you have a strong leader, this makes Shaw a very enjoyable place to work.

The hardest part of the job is lack of clear role mandates and lack of transparency from management in some of the departments. As a result, people can sometimes feel like they are running around in circles with no direction.
stady company to work in.
Test and Repair Technician (Current Employee), Mississauga , ONNovember 9, 2014
Pros: very good venefits
Cons: long hours
in a typical day at work I do a repetitive tasks , like test satellite receivers, clean an pack them, sipping and receiving duties
I learned new skills like , how to drive a forklift, how to operate with oracle system, how to deal with Canada post an Purolator shipments, the hardest part of the job is to work stand up all day long
the enjoyable parte of the job is at the end of the day shipped the product on time.
High paced, good people
Unit Based Installer (Former Employee), CalgaryNovember 7, 2014
Pros: great schedule
Cons: not enough training options
pick up supplies and work orders
travel to first appointment
complete work tasks
travel to next job.
the most enjoyable part is meeting the customers and
completing a good job.
Outbound Sales
Customer Solutions Expert (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 30, 2014
Pros: great coworkers, great management
During my time at Shaw I was required to learn the internal system, CBS, to help and assist customers with their needs and potentially sell them on new products as well. My hours at Shaw started 12 - 8:30. During those hours, we would be contacting existing customer as well as new customers. Part of the job requirements was to be able to try win back some customers from our competitors or add services to existing customers. We were expected 6 core services per day.

I was also a part of the team that would in charge train new employees with the internal system when they first got on the floor and answering any question that they had.

Even though we had over 70 employees on the floor on separate teams, I got along extremely well with all my coworkers. I believe that every working environment requires a great team working environment.
Fun place to work
Business Sales Consultant (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 27, 2014
Pros: great incentives
Cons: not fun much christmas party
Shaw is a great and fun company to work for . I learned a lot about strategic selling and expanding my market in Vancouver business market by looking into future. I had a very fun environment and great coworkers. I enjoyed every second of the sales meetings.
Excellent place to grow skills
Project Manager (Current Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 25, 2014
Pros: freedom
Cons: re-org
Opportunity to create
Lead initiatives from start to finish
Opportunity to expand knowledge
TBD
Accounts receivable (Current Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 15, 2014
I like everything at Shaw but I am looking for new challenges.
Large, well-known telecommunications company
Technical Support Representative (Current Employee), VancouverOctober 11, 2014
Pros: flexible days and hours
Cons: frequent schedule changes
With services from Vancouver Island to Thunder Bay and everywhere in between, and call centres in multiple cities within, there was always a feeling that there were different opportunities available. My role was in the call centre where even there, film and TV productions were done.
Productive and fun place to work, for sure.
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCSeptember 10, 2014
Pros: great people, excellent pay, excellent health benefits.
Cons: some management, commute (downtown).
Loved my time at Shaw, I think its one of the best companies in Canada to work for.
Typical day at work was answering calls from customers, sometimes with less stress, sometimes with more, depending on is there outages or not.
Twice a week there was Healthy Snack, where you can get one piece of fruit and small yogurt.
I learned a lot about team work and met some great people.
About Shaw's management, I will just say that your people are what makes your company, do not treat them as criminals.
My co-workers are some of the best people I have met, always ready to help, curious and polite.
Hardest part of the job was leaving Shaw, nothing was hard for me to do, at Shaw.
Most enjoyable part of the job was sense of belonging, teamwork with people who walk customers shoes and they do it in world class environment with an awesome view of harbor.

1 2 3 4 5