Shaw Communications

Shaw Communications Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Enjoyable work play, with much more to offer
Customer Service and Sales (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 20, 2015
Call Center environment, fun, friendly, loved coming to work and seeing long time co workers and staff. There were many sales incentives that made the job more enjoyable.The hardest part of that job was last few months of working at Shaw, know our last few months were coming to an end.
IT
Technical Service Representative (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBAugust 8, 2015
Great Company. Fun place to work at. Very supportive management.
Every day its a new challenge. Very friendly envoirnment.
lots to learn
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), albertaJuly 29, 2015
it was long time ago but i can remember working and going through training program and learning new things everyday.how to deal with different situations and keeping a good relation between customer and business.
Productive and fun place to work
Service Call Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 17, 2015
Pros: Lots of free lunches and great benefits
Cons: A lot of the tools would stop working
I enjoyed coming to work because of my fellow employees.
We very much became a family while working there. It made me really sad that there was a decision to close down customer service and tech support in our area. I am really happy that Shaw had given the opportunity to move a lot of the employees, who could, to another location.
A typical work day started with quick socialization with my co-workers before checking my emails and starting my work. With what I did I had a lot of flexibility with how I completed my tasks.
I learned a lot about the infrastructure, and how to fix the devices.
The management was great, from with who I had the opportunity to be under. Although there were a few that my co-workers had worked with that had a complained about their managers unfairness.
The hardest part of my job was when I couldn't fix a customer's issue and had to book for a service tech, or not cancel the tech from going. But the most frustrating part was when I found area issues and it took a long time for the back end team to verify the issue, and it would go on for weeks.
The most enjoyable part of my job was when I met my goals and being with my co-works.
Family run organization, dynamic company, interesting industry
Manager Billing & Enterprise Applications (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 10, 2015
Definitely a company still heavily influenced by the Shaw family and their culture. This is neither a good nor a bad thing but something to be aware of. I enjoyed the people I worked with and the work I did.
Great and ever growing company
Customer Care Supervisor (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 5, 2015
Pros: Chances for career advancement, excellent management training.
Cons: Long commute from suburbs
Shaw promote's from within, so if you're willing to understand your role and work hard, great chances for advancement. They also have an excellent management training program

Only con for me - main head office/call center is located in downtown Vancouver so makes for quite the daily trek.
Wonderful place to work, incredible benefits
Intermediate Software Developer (Current Employee), CalgaryJune 27, 2015
Great culture and people as well the benefits are unmatched by any other employer though the growth opportunities within are not what they use to be.
Shaw is great place to work.
Loyalty Care Representative (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJune 26, 2015
Pros: Free Tee & Coffee
As a loyalty care representative handling customer interaction isn’t always easy, since every interaction is unique and different customers present different challenge. Below I have put together all the things I do in order to keep quality performance expectation. Speak clearly and professionally at all time with every customer. Understanding of the product and service make me more confidence to success. Showing empathy with customer and deliver genuine supportiveness are there to help. Lastly I always try to gain customer trust focusing on customer needs this approach will build customer trust and long-term customer equity.
Productive and fun workplace
Client Care Representative (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 13, 2015
Pros: Experience
Cons: They did a Mass layoff
As a customer service representative I have the pleasure of making customer's days better by giving exceptional customer service.
Strict and little room for advancement unless you brown-nose management
Loyalty and Retentions (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 8, 2015
Pros: Good health benefits, but that's about it.
Cons: Must adhere to schedule and breaks, if you're late to a break by 10 minutes you start getting hounded, You have to brown-nose your supervisors to get any sort of advancement.
Slightly underpaid for the roles available, They encourage you to be your best, and offer to help get you to another department, but then turn around and deny everything, provide memos to employees that aren't quite meeting the business needs, and then they'll find a way to let you go. You can be 100% perfect in 9/10 aspects of your job, but they will focus on that 1/10 that you aren't the best on.

Inter-communication between departments is horrible, trying to forward information to someone in another department will result in an e-mail reply "We don't deal with that" and you're left to fend for yourself in trying to find the appropriate person to contact.

Most supervisors aren't that helpful when it comes to getting input or suggestions from, some simply don't care and keep putting it off until you start hounding them to the point that you think you'll explode, then they give you information you're requesting.
Avoid Shaw
Manager Billing Delivery Shaw Communications (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 1, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: Good at firing and laying off people for no reason
no focus on deliverables
all fluff
no career growth opportunities
very political
nothing learned
nothing at all
please do not work here
A fun environment with amazing pay if you're self motivated.
Customer Solutions Expert (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 19, 2015
During my time at Shaw I enjoyed many of the perks that were thrown our way, perhaps the best perk was the ability to write my own pay cheque being a highly motivated, highly experienced sales person.

I very much enjoyed the people and culture at Shaw. They took a hands on approach with their top sales representatives, rewarding top performers with prestige dinners at Pampa's Brazilian Steak House and Von's Steakhouse. We randomly as a department enjoyed activities such as bowling and BBQ's. My co-workers were amazing and as experienced as I am in my craft, I learned so much from them and felt that people genuinely cared.

The hardest part of my job would consist of some months, maybe taking only a single day off, but the compensation, the commissions I made, absolutely were worth my efforts.
Upbeat office environment
Customer Solutions Expert (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCMay 15, 2015
Pros: time off phones, free food, games
Cons: hours, constant rejection from customers
High stress position but balanced because of great support system, very relaxed and fun office environment. Typical day at work consists of following up with previous customers, calling new customers while having meetings in between to have management provide updates, keep the energy going and pick me ups.
Great co workers, very easy going and friendly as well as management. Amazing support system. Someone is always there to be a helping hand when you need it.

Best part of the job is the people, the leadership, and the effort they make to keep everyone in high spirits.
fun place to work
Technical Support representative (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 14, 2015
benefits with the sunlife were really good taking into account all the work culture and management. Very good work culture and scheduling system.
Productive, with amazing staff. Internal opportunities.
Trainer (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 12, 2015
Shaw is a dynamic company with a family atmosphere, plenty of opportunity for advancement and fun work environment. Team leaders and Management are very supportive and will work to make sure you are in the right role for you
Fun workplace and supportive Management
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 22, 2015
Its always a fun day at work and co-workers are really like family. The Management is very supportive from the Supervisors to the Managers. My Sales and Customer Service Skills had develop and enhanced with the constant training I get from the company.
Made good money, eventually hated my job, slowly dieing company
Customer Solutions Expert (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCApril 17, 2015
Pros: Good pay, good benefits, nice tower
Cons: unorganized disconnected management, bad planning for the future of entertainment technology, lots of favoritism from supervisors
I worked at Shaw for 2 years. It was a good 2 years. In the sales dept I made really good money taking in over 25k just in commission in my final year there. Benefits are great and company culture is great. Stocks plan is good. Chairs and desks are comfy.

Problem is the company itself isn't geared for the future. They are laying people off and closing towers. They are dying. In a world slowly not needing cable or home phone not having cell phones will kill Shaw. As well they pride themselves on internet but the reality is Telus is a better internet provider in a lot of areas of western Canada. Shaw is what looked like from the inside a sinking ship.

On top of that the management sucks. The head doesn't know what the arms are doing and favoritism runs rampant. People who have done nothing but buy their supervisor a beer get promoted while those who have trained half the staff on a new product or put together a national sales incentive get left behind and end up quitting.

In the month I quit around 10 other people quit for that very reason and I was one of them.
Delivering results through high performance leadership
Sales and Customer Service Manager (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 11, 2015
Pros: supportive leaders, customer focused and great beneifts
I have been lucky to have the autonomy to deliver results and lead my people in a way that is aligned with my personal values. My day to day consists of coaching and motivating leaders to cause performance through others in efforts to achieve organizational metrics. I have gained experience in building and achieving quarterly and annual budget requirements. I have learned to identify the proper time to be creative and draw ideas from my leaders and the time to focus on execution to ensure goals are met.
POsitive envoirnment
Customer Service Representative-Sales (Current Employee), calgaryFebruary 23, 2015
Like my job, great people, good benefits
job advancement opp, less job security

overall a good company to work with.
jjk k ll l l kl kl l k k l
More interested in profits than workers
Installation and Service Lead Technician / Trainer (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 15, 2015
Pros: good benefits
Cons: no respect, safety always second to profits
This position was challenging dealing with the constant drive for numbers with safety and the well being of the worker coming second to profits. If you don't want to do an unsafe job. We can give someone all your work to do, and replace you. Long hours, and weekends, and all stats must be worked including Christmas and New Years. again, if you don't want to work Christmas we will just replace you.

1 2 3 4 5