Shaw Communications

Shaw Communications Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Upbeat office environment
Customer Solutions Expert (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCMay 15, 2015
Pros: time off phones, free food, games
Cons: hours, constant rejection from customers
High stress position but balanced because of great support system, very relaxed and fun office environment. Typical day at work consists of following up with previous customers, calling new customers while having meetings in between to have management provide updates, keep the energy going and pick me ups.
Great co workers, very easy going and friendly as well as management. Amazing support system. Someone is always there to be a helping hand when you need it.

Best part of the job is the people, the leadership, and the effort they make to keep everyone in high spirits.
fun place to work
Technical Support representative (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 14, 2015
benefits with the sunlife were really good taking into account all the work culture and management. Very good work culture and scheduling system.
Productive, with amazing staff. Internal opportunities.
Trainer (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 12, 2015
Shaw is a dynamic company with a family atmosphere, plenty of opportunity for advancement and fun work environment. Team leaders and Management are very supportive and will work to make sure you are in the right role for you
Fun workplace and supportive Management
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 22, 2015
Its always a fun day at work and co-workers are really like family. The Management is very supportive from the Supervisors to the Managers. My Sales and Customer Service Skills had develop and enhanced with the constant training I get from the company.
Made good money, eventually hated my job, slowly dieing company
Customer Solutions Expert (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCApril 17, 2015
Pros: Good pay, good benefits, nice tower
Cons: unorganized disconnected management, bad planning for the future of entertainment technology, lots of favoritism from supervisors
I worked at Shaw for 2 years. It was a good 2 years. In the sales dept I made really good money taking in over 25k just in commission in my final year there. Benefits are great and company culture is great. Stocks plan is good. Chairs and desks are comfy.

Problem is the company itself isn't geared for the future. They are laying people off and closing towers. They are dying. In a world slowly not needing cable or home phone not having cell phones will kill Shaw. As well they pride themselves on internet but the reality is Telus is a better internet provider in a lot of areas of western Canada. Shaw is what looked like from the inside a sinking ship.

On top of that the management sucks. The head doesn't know what the arms are doing and favoritism runs rampant. People who have done nothing but buy their supervisor a beer get promoted while those who have trained half the staff on a new product or put together a national sales incentive get left behind and end up quitting.

In the month I quit around 10 other people quit for that very reason and I was one of them.
Delivering results through high performance leadership
Sales and Customer Service Manager (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 11, 2015
Pros: supportive leaders, customer focused and great beneifts
I have been lucky to have the autonomy to deliver results and lead my people in a way that is aligned with my personal values. My day to day consists of coaching and motivating leaders to cause performance through others in efforts to achieve organizational metrics. I have gained experience in building and achieving quarterly and annual budget requirements. I have learned to identify the proper time to be creative and draw ideas from my leaders and the time to focus on execution to ensure goals are met.
POsitive envoirnment
Customer Service Representative-Sales (Current Employee), calgaryFebruary 23, 2015
Like my job, great people, good benefits
job advancement opp, less job security

overall a good company to work with.
jjk k ll l l kl kl l k k l
More interested in profits than workers
Installation and Service Lead Technician / Trainer (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 15, 2015
Pros: good benefits
Cons: no respect, safety always second to profits
This position was challenging dealing with the constant drive for numbers with safety and the well being of the worker coming second to profits. If you don't want to do an unsafe job. We can give someone all your work to do, and replace you. Long hours, and weekends, and all stats must be worked including Christmas and New Years. again, if you don't want to work Christmas we will just replace you.
ok
Project Coordinator (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 6, 2015
good place to start your career, management is inflexible and does not change very fast. Culture is not encouraging, not innovative.
Decent pay for the work asked and extensive benefits to make up for a faceless impression.
Supervisory Support (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 31, 2015
Pros: extensive optometry, dental, and pharmaceutical benefits, good pay, friendly staff, and at times fun work.
Cons: rotational shift work & tedious customer interactions at times.
Shaw is a LARGE company that moderately succeeds in meeting its employee's pay-grade and out of work benefit needs. Its largest problem is not providing a "face" for its employees to show that it truly cares about its workforce when it comes to more complicated or personal matters and as a result, at times, can lose its employee engagement, resulting in quick turn-around as I have seen first hand in a supervisory role.
Just a call centre.
Technical Service Representative (Current Employee), EdmontonJanuary 26, 2015
It's a call centre. Employees are just there to answer phones. It is as you would expect it.
Great experience
Architect (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 11, 2015
Pros: strong family focus
Cons: accountability without responsibility
I work with a great team to develop strategy, technology road maps and architecture artifacts in support of a rapidly changing environment.
Very well paid job with little job security
Technical Field Representative (TFR) (Former Employee), Abbotsford, BCDecember 8, 2014
Pros: medical benefits, staff discount
Cons: management is incapable of following through with promises, the company at large treats you as a number - there's no loyalty from the company.
The work is outdoor/indoor. Scope of responsibilities included all wiring from the pole at the street or pedestal to the customer's equipment.
It was my job to install new outlets as required as well.

You are required to work fast and efficiently either on your own or part of a team. My favorite part of the job was being able to do my job without somebody breathing down my neck

Benefits were fantastic.
The company Management is like a Automotive Repair Company in a bigger scale
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 2, 2014
A lot of Strategic Planning required in the Management.
Company should hire more educated rather than relying on experienced people with little or no updated education.
The management should have a perfect blend of old, new talents .
Also most of the management decisions are seems to be gender biased.
Problem solving
Technical Support Rep (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 19, 2014
I learned very much about internet issues, connection with the internet, computer operating systems, email difficulties, dealing with customers on a daily basis, patience
Great company to work with as long as you don't get tangled in office politics
Data Analyst (Former Employee), CalgaryNovember 18, 2014
Pros: health benefits, vacation time, advancement opportunities
Cons: flaky management at times, constant reorganization
Great company to work with but recently they have been doing a lot of reorgs which results in a lot of layoffs.
But all in all, if you play your cards right, there are a lot of opportunities for advancement.
Review Summary
CUSTOMER CARE SUPPORT (Current Employee), CalgaryNovember 11, 2014
Typical day involves taking customer calls, i enjoy the coworkers i have however the management and hours make work/life balance extremely hard to obtain.
Great Culture, fun place to work with great benefits
HR Team Lead - Training/Program Management (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 11, 2014
Pros: fun environment
Cons: no work life balance or role clarity
A typical work week is 37.5 hours, although many employees often worked 40-45 hours.

Shaw provides the ability to cross train with other departments, which for those eager to progress with the company is an added bonus. They are also a performance based company that rewards on performance rather than tenure.

The culture at Shaw creates a friendly and gregarious place to work. Employees often say that they stay for the people, as the culture creates a family like work place. This company likes to work hard, but plays even harder; if you have a strong leader, this makes Shaw a very enjoyable place to work.

The hardest part of the job is lack of clear role mandates and lack of transparency from management in some of the departments. As a result, people can sometimes feel like they are running around in circles with no direction.
stady company to work in.
Test and Repair Technician (Current Employee), Mississauga , ONNovember 9, 2014
Pros: very good venefits
Cons: long hours
in a typical day at work I do a repetitive tasks , like test satellite receivers, clean an pack them, sipping and receiving duties
I learned new skills like , how to drive a forklift, how to operate with oracle system, how to deal with Canada post an Purolator shipments, the hardest part of the job is to work stand up all day long
the enjoyable parte of the job is at the end of the day shipped the product on time.
High paced, good people
Unit Based Installer (Former Employee), CalgaryNovember 7, 2014
Pros: great schedule
Cons: not enough training options
pick up supplies and work orders
travel to first appointment
complete work tasks
travel to next job.
the most enjoyable part is meeting the customers and
completing a good job.