Shaw Communications Employee Reviews

There isn't much room to progress there
Network Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 February 2017
It is an acceptable work place in overall but if you want to progress most of the ways are block.

balance between job and life is acceptable.

Salary and benefits are not bad.

Job Security is same as other companies in Canada but maybe above of average, it depends.

Management is different, department by department.

Job culture isn't acceptable. your efficiency and your skill doesn't have any role in your success. you should only know how to present and exaggerate about yourself
A fun place to work with amazing benefits
Customer Service and Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 July 2016
A fun environment to work in with great co workers, great place to learn new things, amazing benefits, and good for work/life balance. Management is very friendly and is always there to help. A typical day at work for me was answering phones, taking sales/billing/technical calls about Shaw services.

The hardest part of my job was dealing with a customer who would call in just to yell and scream, or get upset because something would not work which is part of the territory. The best part of my day was being able to make a customer happy and knowing they were getting good service on my part. One of the many things I learned being a part of the Shaw family was to become a leader for new hires and my co workers in general.
Pros
great benefits, good management, friendly co workers, decent pay, a lot of different activities such as golf tournaments, free lunches, etc
Cons
company politics can get in the way, not enough communication within the company, lots of gossip
A good work enviroment to start out in
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB12 July 2016
Some of the management ways are a bit outdated. They will basically look at you from the start and decide where they want you to go in the company. Even if you apply for different positions if your current manager doesn't think that is the direction for you they will black ball you.

Also they treat you just like a number and work you as hard as they can. Raises are next to nothing if you do get get one at all. Reviews always focus on negatives and never provide positive feedback.

As the culture is dog eat dog some will try to step over you do get more money.
it sucks- not happy
Help Desk Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 November 2016
management doesn't know about the workers, dissatisfied-

not happy to work- no promotions- not recommending to anyone
- too much politics
Pros
nothing
Decent Place to Work
Inside Sales (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 November 2016
Shaw compensates it's employee's well. However asks a lot out of them. I saw little room for advancement, however you can be moved around if you so wish from department to department. Overall I good place to learn about corporate structure and how large scale companies work.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Long Hours
Excellent organization to be associated with.
Customer Service/Technical Support Representitive (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 September 2016
Overall an excellent organization to be with. Good supervisory guidance and support. Co-workers co-operative and concerned with providing client support. They have good training program for new employees as well as training for upgrading your skills as you progress. Company provides a comprehensive benefits package of services, health and medical. They are also is very active in the community and national charities. The management organization is supportive and in very interested in ensuring an excellent service for their clients and investors as well as ensuring employee are knowledgeable of the direction the company is going.
Pros
Excellent trainning and benefits
Cons
Shift hours
Good working environment
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 January 2017
A typical work day would involve helping clients manage their accounts.

I learned data handling skills during my time at this job.

Management was fair and were approachable

The hardest part of the job was being eligible for advancement from within.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the colleagues in the same position.
Great entry job
Cable Technician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 May 2016
I would say that working at Shaw teaches you a lot about the business world. Depending on who is your leader there is a lot of favoritism and there can be internal politics on who gets what which does deter from the overall experience. However, the pay is OK and the benefits are nice (dental/health). Again, depending on which department and leader you have, you can enjoy a relaxed work environment or a micromanaged nightmare. Shaw is really made by the people who work there.
I know this also has nothing to do with the current management but there are a lot of 'restructures' that take place within the company which does throw the whole job security out the window.
Pros
Good benefits and start
Cons
Layoffs and Politics
Needs to listen to their employees and provide support
Customer Care (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 November 2016
The benefits are good however the company needs to listen to the employees more. Along with doing a better job of hiring the right people with the right values for the company. The hardest part of the job would be at times dealing with irate customers that ask for irresponsible request. Along with employees taking accountability for their actions
Pros
benefit, pay
Cons
hours and work life balance
Incredible.
Customer Advisor (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC13 December 2016
After years of searching for employment that not only emotionally charged me but provided me with stability, starting at shaw was a breath of fresh air. The managers are constantly helping you and making sure you're on track, but they're not pushy, they genuinely enjoy you as a person and want to make sure you're performing to the best of your ability. The training was top notch, I left the 4 weeks of dedicated training with all the knowledge I required to do the job well, and monthly refreshers make all the difference. The benefits are amazing, and the pay is off the charts, especially in this economy. I could not have a better thing to say about this company.
great company culture and a good transition job for a graduate
In Home Solutions Consultant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 September 2016
A typical day at work:
- cold call potential customers
- record information on spreadsheet
- follow up calls with warm customers

Learned:
- modern day selling techniques
- product knowledge

Management:
- hands off management

Co-workers:
- friendly but not supportive

Hardest part of the job:
- maintaining positive attitude

Most enjoyable part of the job:
- getting to know co-workers
Pros
great health benefits
Cons
low starting salary
fun work pace with great people
Business Consultant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 January 2017
-get to the office at 8am
-get to my cubicle section and set up my work station.
- i have learned that time management is a huge key in your work schedule.
-co workers were nice but sometimes got me sidetracked with so many questions about what they had to do. I was the more experience rep at Shaw so i had to always help everyone else.
-It was hard to make sales because Shaw footprint in winnipeg for businesses isn't that strong. So you would have to hunt really hard to make sales. I did well and i was the youngest consultant for the company in the country.
-I really enjoyed working from home. i could work from home or the office but then management changed and then i have to come into the office more often.
- i am very self motivated so i do great job working from my home office.
Pros
team lunches
Cons
was very hard to make sales and worked over 15 hours a day
fun work place with many great friends to make!
CSR - CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC29 November 2016
Typical day at work is logging into your computer at the time you start and answering phone calls non stop with about a 2-3 minute break in between and helping customers with whatever they might be calling in about pertaining to sales, bill clarification, payments, general customer inquiries. What i have learned is providing great customer service in my own way and nothing scripted. Learned alot of technical expertise. Management is barely often heard from, in my time in tsr I never yet once spoken to my manager, thats why we have supervisors. It seems like all management is focused on is always hitting targets without the sight of how their employees are doing and what they have to say about anything. Hardest part of the job is taking escalation calls, it takes a toll on you mentally and it is hard to go on when you take a lot of verbal abuse from customers. the endless call to call work is also draining, not much lee way in between calls with supervisors always watching.The most enjoyable part of work is some enjoyable customers and great conversations, but the best thing is the people you work with.
Pros
lots of friends to make, company stock option, benefits, commision
Cons
endless calls, no rest time between calls, no trust from supervisors and management in their employees.
Great learning experience
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 June 2016
Working at Shaw was a great learning experience as the environment is fast paced, results oriented and very competitive. However, the company likes to present itself as one that focuses on Work/Life balance but makes you work on any 5 days of the week and can schedule you for any 8 working hours between 7am-10pm in for a week.

Supervisors treatment of the agents reminds you that there is a hierarchal gap in between. However, working with other agents was competitive but fun.
Pros
Great ways to earn commissions in sales
Cons
No fixed schedule and bad management
fun and pays well but not secure
Customer Care Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC2 January 2017
fun fast paced place to work however advancement and security is worth being concerned over. sales is very much a "boys club"
with upper management and middle management being a close group of friends. without this in, advancement is ops are slim to nil
Horrible corperate culture
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC23 August 2016
just a horrible place to work.

Friends get promoted, while hard working employees hitting their goals get bypassed.

Run away as fast you can
benefits
Cons
hours, environment, pay, management, only 30 cents in raises in 3 years
Super bad company to work for
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 June 2016
We get monitored for when we leave and arrive. There is no culture there. You can complain genuine things about your manager and have proof, but it just gets ignored. You cant get promotions even after going over and above for over 15 years. They spend a lot of money on things around the office and the senior management but consistently lay people off even before the oil took a down turn. DO NOT WORK HERE
Shaw
Customer Care / Technical Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC11 January 2017
Currently a leader at Shaw Communications.I love the role and it is quite engaging. I like the team atmosphere and the autonomy I have in creating my day and how I lead my team. There has been great support from management in my role in each location I have been in. I would recommend Shaw for anyone that has a positive outlook and who loves in dealing with people all day.
Pros
People, Environment and Educational Opportunities
Cons
Hard to keep people in entry level due to schedules and pay.
Great place to work as a technician, unless there are surprise layoffs.
Technical Field Representative (Installer) (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 November 2016
Best job I've ever had. I wanted to stay there until I was too old to continue. Unfortunately the bottom line caused layoffs. I worked as piece rate installer for over 6 years, this allowed me to run my own work day and manage my own hours for the most part. Unfortunately most good things come to an end. Highly stressful at first until you learn the job fully, if you are good at time management the stress disappears later on.

I would go back in a heartbeat, but that is not an option.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Layoffs
Great Place to work
In Home Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Moose Jaw, SK21 September 2016
I loved this job/career. I was always busy helping customers, paper work, helping other co workers. The team environment is great and the management was even better. I felt proud working for Shaw.
Pros
Commision
Cons
wacky hours