Intern – Tournament Administration
Position Status: Temporary (May 8, 2013 – September 6, 2013)
*End date flexible for current postsecondary student that will be returning to school for the Fall 2013 semester.
This is one of two internship opportunities that will be working together to support the tournament management team for the Shaw Charity Classic.
The tournament was formed in January of 2013 with the specific purpose to promote the area, support the economy and give back to the Charities that call Alberta home. The inaugural tournament will be held at Canyon Meadows Golf and Country Club, August 26 - September 1, 2013.
The tournament week will feature three days of competitive play, three pro-ams and numerous special events throughout the area. Champions Tour favorites Tom Lehman, Fred Couple, Hal Sutton, Loren Roberts, Fred Funk, Jay Haas, Bernard Langer, Tom Watson, Hale Irwin, Fuzzy Zoeller and many more of golf’s greatest legends are expected to compete.
Bruno Event Team is a Birmingham, Alabama-based sports marketing and event Management Company formed in 1996 by Ronald Bruno and Gene Hallman. The company is experienced in all facets of event management, employing a year-round staff of more than 70 employees. Working with our affiliated companies and divisions, Bruno Event Team services each client with expertise in all aspects of event management, marketing and operations. Clients include USGA, PGA TOUR, Champions Tour, Nationwide Tour, LPGA, IRL, AMA Pro Road Racing, Grand AM Road Racing, SEC, USTA, USA Soccer, SWAC and the University of Alabama. We maintain a steadfast commitment to excellence utilizing vast experience, strong work ethic and demanding attention to detail.
- Become a key member of the inaugural Shaw Charity Classic at Canyon Meadows Golf & Country Club
- Work directly with the Tournament Manager, tournament committee chair people, host club and over 1,000 volunteers
- Recruit volunteers, process volunteer registration forms and maintain volunteer database
- Handle all incoming calls and emails regarding volunteer questions and inquiries
- Develop and distribute volunteer materials including committee manuals, welcome letters, training materials and volunteer newsletters
- Record inventory of tournament equipment, volunteer package items and promotional materials
- During tournament week this staff member will be onsite and assist in tournament office set-up, volunteer uniform distribution, volunteer training and assistance within the volunteer headquarters
- Assist Champions Tour players, their families and caddies by providing information about booking accommodations and transportation in Calgary, as well as providing tourist information about the city and surrounding area
- Develop tournament fact sheets and handbooks for players and their caddies
- Work closely with the tournament management team to provide administrative support for a variety of projects and initiatives required for the Shaw Charity Classic.
- This position requires work on weekends, as well as early mornings and late evenings
A professional person that is highly intelligent and willing to give 100% to make this the finest tournament on the Champions Tour schedule. This individual will be responsible for providing the best experience for all volunteers involved in the Shaw Charity Classic. The following list of qualifications and skills are a must for this position:
- Current postsecondary student or recent graduate (Communications, Sport Management or BARST related degrees considered an asset)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Cheerful presence and excellent people skills and situational problem solving skills
- Good organizational skills and record keeping (attention to detail is critical)
- Creative, detail oriented, strong work ethic and desire to succeed
- Solutions oriented, problem solving mentality
- Self-starter who can work independently
- Skill in establishing priorities and managing workload
- Willingness to work nights, weekends and holidays as required
- Computer skills are mandatory with proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint)
- Any experience in database management is a strong asset
40+ per week
April 23rd, 2013
Please forward cover letter and resume to the Tournament Manager with your full name and job title in the subject line.
Tournament Manager – Shaw Charity Classic