Sharp Bus Lines Limited Employee Reviews

difficult employer
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON9 January 2018
poor working conditions, with lack of significant compensation or appreciation for personal dedication. Driver training follow up staggered and inconclusive
Cons
expect to much for to little return
I love to drive with is have been doing for 47 years and currently hold a B Z license
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  London, ON19 November 2017
A typical day is driving school children to and form school safely.Many drivers on the road do not follow safe driving nor defensive driving. Management is supportive and it is a good place to work. I am a Professional Driver and talk it very seriously. The hardest part of my job is controlling the children and having them follow School Bus Rules. The most enjoyable part of my job is a happy and safe day.
Pros
Most kids are great
Cons
Unrully kids
Long days.
Division Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON6 September 2017
Sharp Bus Lines expects you to work 50 hours a week with low pay. There is always pressure to hire drivers and pay them minimum wage. The family will not put money back into the workers pockets.
Official response from Sharp Bus Lines Limited
11 September 2017

At Sharp, we maintain the provincial standards for allowable & maximum hours of work per the Employment Standards Act of Ontario, and any overtime that is worked is properly compensated. However, there can be long days, as with any industry or company.

We aim to create an open and welcoming employment environment where employees are empowered to speak to management if they feel under compensated or have other suggestions.

Nice place to work
Yard Person/Office Help (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON17 May 2017
Days here were very relaxed and allowed me to get done the things I needed to in a timely manner without added stress. It was easy to learn the tasks I was asked to complete and I was provided with any help I needed.
they give you the tools and the knowhow to be your own boss!
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 March 2017
I have worked for sharp bus lines for 9 months now and I think they are a great company to work for. They are very accommodating they have awesome breakfast meetings with prizes for people that have a perfect attendance.
Great Managent
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  London, ON30 January 2017
Management is excellent, good job security as there will always be a need for bus drivers,

Great if you like kids

Great hours

Only downside is low pay
Pros
Job Security, Good Hours
Cons
Low Pay
Family Based Culture
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Simcoe, ON19 December 2016
School bus drivers do not do it for the remuneration only. The pay is minimal for the responsibility that is required to carry the most precious resource in the world. Individual divisions are supportive and focus on supporting the safe transportation of the students. IT IS JOB 1.

The children can be the most rewarding and frustrating part of the job. The relationship with the students, that can last for years is a compensation that cannot have a price tag.
Pros
Consistent and ongoing employment
Cons
Application and definition of remuneration
really enjoyed working for Sharp Bus Lines
Driver/ dispatch (Former Employee) –  Innerkip, ON30 August 2016
I really enjoyed working with the great team we had at Sharp Bus, it is always a fast paced day. The management was awesome to work with. The hardest part of job would have to be trying to keep everyone happy teachers, principals, parents, children and the general public
Pros
working with children
Cons
Decent job for moms with young kids
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON, Hamilton, ON26 August 2016
I started working for Sharp in 2013, after my first child was born. I love that I can bring my kids on the bus with me, eliminating the need for and costs of childcare. Sharp is more organized, better training and information is easier to access than other bus companies I have worked for. Huge downside is the lack of benefits and low pay. I won't name companies but, I was paid better by other bus companies. The pay does not reflect the tough conditions of the job.
Pros
Organized, Bring kids to work
Cons
Low pay, no benefits, can be tough to get time off if needed
A great way to render a very meaningful service to the next generations.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, Ont.31 May 2016
I've enjoyed the personalized training both in the classroom and on the bus. The Driver/Trainer clued in quickly on what I need and the guidance required to render me a safe and competent driver.

It's all about defensive driving and taking the passengers to and from their destinations SAFELY. My starting this work in the winter had its benefits given sometime challenging conditions. Now that we've switched to summer I begin to wonder what is better, heat or cold.....our mutual Canadian conundrum.

The office staffers, dispatchers, Full Timers and management folk engaged me with respect and due consideration. Nice to be part of a team again after 4 years of retirement. My input is appreciated.

Focus, Focus and Focus again on Safety at all times.
Pros
"flextime" ideal for a retired person
Cons
compensation is nothing to write home about....
A job where you can watch your students grow.and learn!
Professional Driver (Current Employee) –  Kitchener Ontario17 May 2016
I have been driving school bus for 36 yrs now and still find myself smiling as I drive 😊 I really enjoy interacting with my students and find most of them are willing to work with you. Having time between runs to accomplish other things through the day is a bonus!. I have been driving long enough now that I am privileged to be driving the children of some of my original children......super cool!! Here is a job that if you love children, you like the challenge of driving in different weather and you want free time as well......this is a good fit!
Pros
Christmas/March Break and Summer off
Cons
No benefits
Sharp is a great place to work.
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Windsor ontario canada10 May 2016
Sharp bus lines is a very progressive school transportation company. The management team are attentive to your suggestions and feedback from their drivers. Health and safety meetings are held on a regular basis. This provides all the staff with pertinent information in a timely fashion. I look forward to many more years driving for Sharp.
Pros
Every meeting you attend has a free lunch or breakfast provided.
Cons
Driving conditions in poor weather is a con that can be said for any transportation company.
Rewarding job working with great people!
Driver (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONT10 May 2016
This is a fun job with both independent and team charters. Training is thorough, management & all office staff are EXTREMELY supportive of all their drivers, other drivers are great to work with, and the passengers (school kids and various charters) are very enjoyable! Additionally, the mechanical support teams are fantastic!
Pleasant work environment/awesome co-workers
Manager (Current Employee) –  Windsor, Ontario10 May 2016
Since beginning with Sharp Bus Lines in 2006 I have found my purpose. The family atmosphere is amazing. You feel like you matter.
Pros
Meet some very nice people, families, children
Great people makes for a great workplace and atmosphere!
Driver (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON10 May 2016
In class training wasn't so bad! The trainer was entertaining which made it go by quickly! The in bus training was so much fun! My trainer specifically was tops in my opinion. He made me feel empowered and confident.

Since I've been driving with the company, I've done a fair share of 'spare' driving which is covering for other drivers routes when they are absent. But in a month I've landed my own route and I couldn't be happier! I've also begun charter work between my run and the process for everything is simple and straightforward.

The office staff is next to none! I speak to base often, and although they have a million tasks to take care of daily, I have been addressed immediately, with kindness, a chuckle or two even and honestly they're the best!
Pros
Free time to book appointments, be involved at school with your kids.
Cons
No benefits.
Good part time job
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Cambridge Ontario9 May 2016
My involvement Sharp has been good and enjoyable. I like the route assigned to me and the people I see on a daily basis.
The driving time goes quickly each day and allows me to continue with my other interests . The safety meetings are both
informative and helpful in improving driving skills.
Being a School Bus Driver
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Amherstburg, ON9 May 2016
The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing my students everyday and when they aren't there I miss them. When they return, I always say "Welcome Back" which puts a big smile on their faces!!

The hardest part of my job would be getting the students to listen which within time, they do! Be consistent and persistent and within time everyone does what they should be doing on the bus for example sitting down and facing the front! When they leave the bus for the day always remember to say something positive even if it was a rough ride home. Lead by example!! Have a good night, see you tomorrow!
Also, look closely at your student list for students that have allergies and an epi-pen. It is extremely important that you know where they keep this in their backpacks! This applies to high school students as well!

It is always good to interact with your coworkers and ask their opinions about different situations that may arise on your bus because they may just have an idea you can implement that could make it a more enjoyable bus ride.

My management team are very supportive and helpful, I never ever hesitate to talk to them about any situation that comes up. That's what they are their for is to help us if need be, we are all in this together as a team so use your resources!! There is no I in team!!

I have learned throughout the years is to lead by example!! Using Manners and showing respect to the students leads to less problems and they will respect you back. Always have a smile on your face and say Good Morning because we might be the first person they see in the morning
  more... with so many working parents today. It certainly can make a difference on how their day will be.

I was chosen for Driver of the Year 2014/2015!! Totally unexpected and I was thrilled to pieces. It is such an honour to be recognized for just doing my job! I saved one of my students that had an allergy to bug spray which was accidently sprayed on my bus. I remembered this and immediately addressed the situation and evacuated that student off my bus. Then followed protocol.
Pros
Lots of time in between Bus Runs to get what I need to do throughout the day
Cons
Cleaning supplies available cause I like my bus spotless, even my students know!!
Great Place to Work!
Driver Trainer (Current Employee) –  Kitchener,Ontario9 May 2016
This is an excellent school bus company to work for! I've been working for Sharp since 2012. Office Staff are easy to approach and will listen to any issues or concerns. Its Managed very well and you can approach Management at any time . They are always there to help you at any time. Its also a fun place to work with an excellent working environment! I look forward to going to work every day!
Good job
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON28 June 2012
Great summer job, the people were helpful and it was fun to work there. The people were always there to lend a helping hand.