Shared Services Canada Employee Reviews

Enjoyed myself at this workplace as it was fun and everyone was like family
Wireless & Telephony Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 8, 2015
Working with Shared Services Canada was a great experience we would go into work and it was like being home, you do your work, you communicate with all different people and different backgrounds. What I learned in this company was how important it was to build rapport with clients in the building and maintaining those relationships. Management was excellent friendly and outgoing individuals till this day I still maintain contact and friendships with them. My co-workers were amazing, funny, and very smart group of people they taught me a lot about technology. The hardest part of my job was knowing my contract would come to an end soon and I would have to leave everyone behind. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with my boss he taught me a lot about Telecommunications and wireless phones, very smart and fun individual to work with.
Pros
Friendly and laid back environment
Cons
contract work only
I make it interesting and dynamic
Communications Advisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 7, 2016
The best: my immediate team (of five), all marketing minded, unusual in the Government, the only ones in the department.

Every day is: good, even great because of these people.

What I learned: more and more about content and social media marketing, from great immediate colleagues.
Pros
The People
Cons
No comment
Quick Summary
Linux Engineering (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 15, 2015
I have been very lucky in working with a lot of great people, and I have been exposed to some very large environments.

Very big projects, with constant changes.
Pros
Great Learning
Busy work environment.
Telecommunication Technician (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKMay 5, 2015
A typical day at work included first addressing telecom trouble issues reported for that day.(and issues that were still being addressed)
Then I would look at my projects that were in process and acquiring applicable information required to bring projects to completion. There were always day to day issues that changed the course of any given day. My days flew by because there was never a quiet moment.

Management was good at times but the chaos of the organization contributed to a lot of stress and uncertainty.

My co-workers are what made me happy to go to work everyday. Support and friendship is how I handled my job stress.

The hardest part of the job was duties I was responsible for which I had no prior training. Also being one person responsible for many Government departments within two provinces contributed to work stress. I missed out on family vacations due to having to be made available for projects etc.

I really enjoyed what I did. Volume wise, it was too much for one person to handle. I truly miss the interaction with my co-workers.
Pros
Supportive co-workers
Cons
No training provided
Great opportunity to learn and advance but hectic place to work.
HR Assistant (Current Employee) –  OttawaJanuary 7, 2014
This organization is EXTREMELY unorganized although there is a lot you can learn. If you enjoy a challenge then its the right place for you but there is so little structure and very little staff that many people get bogged down, stressed out, and eventually burn out.
Pros
good learning experience, great pay and benefits
Cons
a lot of politics and bureaucratic problems
Great Organization to work for
Senior Special Advisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 30, 2014
Excellent department. This is a new Canadian Federal Department mandated to consolidate all of IT infrastructure within the government.
Very busy and challenging place to work, but well worth it, as everyone works hard and plays fair.
Pros
professional attitude, collaborative approach to work, well intentioned
Cons
long hours, frequently changing priorities
Great new government deparmtment to work for
Director General PMIRP (Former Employee) –  Gatineau, QuebecOctober 16, 2012
This organization was created by the Government of Canada in August 2011 to enable the unification of all IT infrastructure services, process, and people from 43 different Ministries. Great experience in conducting the transformation exercise in the creation of this unit.
Pros
new, innovative, dynamic, leading edge
Cons
long hours!
Good place to work in
SCCM 2012 Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa ONMay 1, 2015
Great place to work at, peers are professional and well versed on their roles. Funding is unstable, hard to get a long term contract here.
Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 10, 2013
very good workers
Lot of processes to follow
The deccision making takes too long. employees are wating lot of time working without clear direction that creates a lot of confusion and tension within groups
Pros
nice workers
Cons
there is no clear direction
Nothing to do.
Junior Computer Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Gatineau, QCOctober 4, 2014
Not much to do at SSC, had to volunteer for projects to actually get some work to do..
Pros
get paid for not doing much
Cons
gets boring when there isn't much to do..
Nice place to work
Shared Services Canada Accommodations Officer (Former Employee) –  NRC - GatineuNovember 6, 2013
Very nice place to work, friendly environment and good co-workers.
Pros
experience
Cons
not hiring now

4.5