Shannex Employee Reviews

Enjoy working with clients
NA (Former Employee) –  Nova Scotia9 February 2018
Typical day was working hard while watching coworkers be lazy and gossip, while management turned a blind eye. Hardest part of job was coworkers and management , most enjoyable clients.
Pros
Clients
Cons
management, shortage of workers.
New and Still in Growing Stages
Client Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS5 February 2018
Overworked. Times working one person with 15 clients.
Suppose to be 5 Star Treatment, but not given.

Not allowed off the property during breaks. Management watch you on TV during the day, then call you if you sit down for 5 min.
Benefits
Cons
Fun workplace. Employees and residents are very nice.
Client Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS16 January 2018
Been working here for four years now and I can see myself working here for the next years to come. Employees are very approachable and residents are nice as well.
Poor work environment
Server (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB16 January 2018
I worked there for a very brief time. Despite it being awful and no adequate training, I was let go because I was basically not a good "fit". If you are going to work at Shannex be prepared to be thrown in, expected to know it all in a short time and just work like a machine. They treat you awful there. If you are new there and don't know the job. Good luck! They can't keep people there.

Also I noticed there appeared to be a lot of employees there with the same complaints. A very negative environment. No one was happy working at Shannex. A lot of the cooks had come to Shannex in the kitchen because it was "easier" for them there.Basically behind the scenes the ones preparing the food did not care.
Poor hygiene despite them focusing a lot of their training on hygiene.

It's a shame considering Shannex is suppose to be a higher end retirement home and it is costly. The residents deserve better than what they are paying for.
Pros
Beautiful building
Cons
Poor management, not a friendly work environment, dirty kitchen, poor hygeine amungs the kitchen staff making the food
staff were easy going and enjoyable to work with
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Quispamsis, NB4 January 2018
Very nice home with lots to do for residents, even has a bowling alley and movie theatre.
Staff were very nice to work mwith and more then willing to show me the ropes and where to find things when I started there.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
All night shifts
Terrible management leading to a negative work environment
CSM (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NB26 December 2017
Management does not care about employees, they are solely concerned about making money as opposed to caring about employees or residents. Employees are being asked to take on responsibilities outside of their scope of practice with little compensation. Shannex is run as a business with the sole purpose of making as much money as possible, as opposed to creating a safe and welcoming environment for the residents. I love my coworkers and residents but the atmosphere management has created is really disappointing/negative environment and ruining an otherwise great job
Pros
Great coworkers and residents
Cons
Management, overworked, forced to do tasks out of my scope of practice, no recognition or respect. The list could go on
Great company to work for!
Past Employee (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS21 November 2017
Great management, co-workers are friendly and positive, lots of opportunity for recognition. They even have their own in house learning center. Orientation was a bit lacking but over all 5 stars!

The work is tough but very rewarding.
Pros
Management cares, clients truly come first, and people are friendly.
Cons
Light on orientation
Client care
CCA (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS9 October 2017
I very much enjoyed my time working with the Alheimers and related dementia clients. I had come to a period of my work career where I felt I was not giving 110% to my clients.
I had worked in this field for 34.5 years.
poor company to work for
employee (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB7 October 2017
Unreliable, untrustworthy and scary to work for. if you are not in the click your out on the street literally. Hard to get hours if you work there as anything but full time. Expected to do more than humanly possible and if a miracle happens and you get the work done, you still get poor work performance reviews.
Pros
regular pay check
Cons
poor pay, hypocritical, untrustworthy, sneaky and underhanded
Do not work here!!! I guess unless you need the money
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 September 2017
Simple. if you have somewhere else to go then go. Dirtiest place i have ever worked. All a show. They work people to death. Back breaking work. Do not work at least at the Mississauga location.
Pros
nothing
Cons
hard back breaking work
Dietary/Waitstaff (Current Employee) –  Truro, NS16 September 2017
Good staff, good clients, its hard work! Good work but can be tough if hard work and constantly being busy is your thing, then this is the job for you!
Pros
great personalities always around
Cons
Hot, the elderly get cold easy so there is usually heat on
Not a good place to work
Chef (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB12 September 2017
I worked for this company for close to 6 years, in that 6 years I was put down many times by the management in such a way that they made me feel..well depressed. A typical day at work way basically make sure staff are being productive and that the MANY company policies were being followed. I found that this company is all about the mighty DOLLAR. not the staff or clients. They believed in a WORK then life balance but promote work life. The hardest part about the job was dealing with a GM that never understood what it was like to be nice. The most enjoyable part was getting to know the staff and the residents.
Pros
Good benefits, Vacation, when you can get it
Cons
Very long weeks. unappreciative management
Leadership needs to be stronger. Poor Culture
NA (Current Employee) –  Nova Scotia24 July 2017
Improvement required from the leadership teams throughout the entire company. Accountablity is lacking, along with respect for eachother. Over worked, and no life balance.
Pros
Concept of what they are trying to achieve.
Cons
Too many to list....
busy
Executive Chef/Food Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Truro, NS26 June 2017
good place, great people, great clients, good wages, very busy, personal life to work life balance is great. you have a set 2 weeks schedule and you follow it, so very convenient to make plans.
Fun work day if not working with slacker.
CCA (Former Employee) –  Nova Scotia25 June 2017
The company wasn't bad to work with. But there are few staff or manager does not care about worker benifit or situation. company manager they care if worker keep showing up for work but if worker sick no one care they will just ignore, forgot or does not exist at all.
Pros
Depends on staff
Cons
Long travel
Overworked with no appreciation
Former slave (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 June 2017
Very poor company, this new company took over the building with all these promises to all the employees and overtime have not seen any improvements, the only thing that has happened are employees now work alot harder with hardly any breaks, staff are coming and going due to lack of staff and being overworked, HR, and all management in each department are all for themselves, they just push and push for staff to do more to make themselves look really good to the owners, the pay is not great for the amount of work that they want you to do, my advise is go somewhere else where you will get treated better and not get the runaround, management just look after themselves so they look good, remember there the ones that only make better money while the workers are the ones that work hard and make them look good while they take the credit.
Pros
Amazing and very kind residence
Cons
Overworked, very poor company
Growing company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB10 May 2017
Poor leadership all around. Company has grown too fast and lost a lot of their good people by overworking them and taking them for granted. Loved the seniors.
Pros
Free Parking
Cons
Overwork all of the good people.
fun workplace and the residents are so kind
PCW/Home support Worker (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS9 May 2017
the workplace is nice and the residents are good to the staff but the management do not give recognition to the workers who almost give half of their life to the job
Well organized
Health Service Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS14 March 2017
This company shows well to appear to meet the needs of the people who live there. However, I feel this company worries more about the lipstick and mascara of the overall look, then the people themselves who live there.
Pros
Well designed
Cons
No stability
fun place to work
Continuing Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS7 March 2017
A great place to work.I've learned so much things about clients behavior,and how you deal with them in times of their bad modes and so on, It was actually interesting to be part of their lives. I find that the hardest part of my job there is, when you work at night shift. you were there for 24 hours and not sleeping,it's tough job .However, you will be proud of your self as well, because you helped so many people and watch them 24 hours,making sure that they were safe and normally breathing.Management are very great to their employees and very understanding, they were very quick in solving a conflict with their employees
Cons
12 hrs