Shannex Employee Reviews

Poor company
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 March 2017
Excellent co workers, excellent residents but really bad management, they only take care of themselves, they try to take advantage of employees and always make employees look bad so they look better so I highly recommend to not apply or work for the company, there is better out there, go where you will be respected and appreciated
Pros
Great residence
Cons
No respect for emoloyess
Amazing Team
Employee Relations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Quispamsis, NB5 February 2017
Such an amazing group of people all with a common purpose such a great collaboration of ideas and ways to move forward and improve.
Fun , respectful environment
Environmental Technician (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS18 January 2017
I really enjoyed my placement at shannex . The staff and managers are friendly professional and very caring . Great hours great environment
Pros
Good benefits, good environment
Cons
Not enough hours
Work/Life Balance Not Realistic
Continuing Care Assistant- Enhanced Care (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS24 November 2016
Loved the clients/residents but found the staff/administrators to be less about making sure their staff was happy and more about looking good themselves
Pros
great clients
Poor Company
Client Medication Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS21 November 2016
Worked as Client Medication Assistant in Independent and Assisted Living in Dartmouth NS. CMA are non registered staff who dispense medication inc narcotics. Had to do things that were beyond my training and comfort level. Many residents in Independent and Assisted Living were on wait lists for nursing homes. Company will accept anyone as long as they can pay. It's all about image rather than quality of care.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Poor pay and management
I would highly recommend the organization. A very tight well run company.
Driver/Chauffeur (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS16 June 2016
I came to Shannex after a 30 year career in the government. I must say in my short time so far with this organization, it has been an eye opening experience on how well a company can be run and care about and for their employees.I am a part time employee and look forward through the week to my next day of work...not for monetary reasons but the joy of being able to provide my services to clients and be able to make their day just a little bit better. I came to Shannex well equipped for my position and Shannex has aided me in continual education to offer the opportunity to make myself and other employees the best they can be. Co workers and management are supportive at all time and one feels they have always "got your back". Management staff have been among the best I have witnessed in my working career. I have read "naysayers"regarding comments and have always stood by the credo " If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem". Every day at my workplace is looked forward to and I thrive on being able to assist my clients.
Pros
Management support in doing my job.
Cons
Low pay but immense satisfaction for a job well done at the end of the day
Buildings are beautiful
CCA (Former Employee) –  Greenwich, NS16 April 2016
Working full-scope as a CCA, you are always on the go. You do not get to spend much, if any, quality time with the clients. You are expected to clean over clean each and every day; be it mopping or dusting and even scrubbing toilets. You are then expected to feed your clients that require feeding. Talk about cross-contamination issues or even infection control!
Pros
Newer buildings that are beautiful
Cons
Treated like a dog
Friendly and loving enviroment
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS8 March 2016
A fast paced environment with direct contact with clients and visitors. Incoming requests make for a productive day. I have learned many skills and have attended several courses on the affects of dementia and Alzheimer's disease. I work with a wonderful management team that is very much supportive. The hardest part of the day is later in the day when the clients tend to sundown and they need to be redirected to other activities. This is done so by extreme sensitivity and care.The most enjoyable part is getting to know the clients and their families.
Pros
friendly work environment
Cons
hourly rate does not reflect job responsibilty
Too institutional like
Continuing Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bible Hill, NS7 January 2016
Workers are not taken seriously by higher up staff. Clients are being neglected and ignored. conflicts and gossip among employees heard while workers on break outside. Employees breeching confidentiality. hard to take any time off with being called by staffing all day everyday. felt like instead of creating a problem free care enviroment it felt like an instituion.
Pros
family activities andclients
Cons
instituional like facilities
Excellent Company
industrial engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS25 November 2015
Shannex is an amazing company to work for, staff are friendly and cooperative and are willing to go above and beyond to help you complete your task.
very professional work place
suite services (Former Employee) –  halifax ns20 October 2015
Great team work and management and support, the culture within the place is very professional and respectful.very friendly enjoyed working there for over a year. everyone got along well and you can always talk to managers if anything is wrong.
Pros
Building relationships with clients
Cons
Parking
Supportive staff, can be mentally challenging but self rewarding too.
Continuing Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Halifax, Nova Scotia2 August 2015
Supportive staff and management, challenging but exciting working environment. Some amount of politics that can be a bit distrubing but this is mangement doing their best to operate the company effectively.
Cons
Scary company to work for if you are a nurse
nurse (Former Employee) –  Halifax22 January 2015
Shannex will do anything in it's power to save money on nurses, and not hire enough nurses for their clients. It is a huge health and safety risk for the clients, and it plays an enormous mental toll on all their nurses. Nurses run around all day and night full of stress with no support from anyone, other companies are much better!!
Pros
Cons
overworked nurses, awful company
productive , team player , get thing done on time
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Truro, NS11 December 2014
a typical day at work is amazing experience
i have learned alot in my past being a staff at shannex before made me feel alive in so many way truly the place made me so comfortable.
management was the best people you could ever ask for because they help you at anytime when you need it
the most hardest part i can say isnt anything i love all the work that i do on a daily time limited and the most enjoyable part about being thee was seeing all the people trying my best to help everyone each and everyone that made my day everyday i miss it dearly
Pros
just a few break now and than
Cons
long hour days would be a great thing for me
Busy place
housekeeping/laundry (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB28 August 2014
Typical day at work is making sure you are there to punch in before you start. Be ready to start your shift on time. Some of the co-workers were not very nice so you had to stay clear from them and just do your job. My motto is do your job and go home.
Pros
Beautiful place
Cons
Drama from co-workers
Poor example of how to operate a Company for Seniors
LPN (Former Employee) –  Halifax NS9 March 2014
Five years with this sad poorly run outfit! Over worked nurses put at risk both professionally and personally.One nurse responsible for over two hundred senior residents. Residential care with most requiring assisted living and no staff!!! Over charged for all their needs! High number of managers all doing nothing !!!
High number of staff turnovers and staff firings!! Complain in any way and you are simple walked out the door!!
Pros
Wages are close to others.Fair benefits if you get that far!
Cons
Find another place if you can! This company"s bottom line is profit at any cost!!!
A great place to work
Personal care assistant (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS12 November 2013
A typical day at Shannex included helping the patients with their activities of daily living, and charting information on the patients. The management was very organized, and they had a flexible schedule. My coworkers were friendly, accepting and easy to get along with. I found the hardest part about the job was losing a patient, especially because you develop such strong bonds with them. The most enjoyable part of my day was seeing my patients happy, and enjoying the activities they had planned for the day.
Exciting and fun work with elder people
Personal Attendant/Companion (Current Employee) –  Clayton Park, Halifax29 October 2013
Really exciting and working with elderly. I have learned and experienced how difficult for the elder people when their families are not around them. They really missed their love ones. We are all team workers just to do the tasks very easy. So far, there's no hardest part of the job I encountered. And the most enjoyable part of the job is when I gave happiness for the residents and I made them laugh.
Pros
Free car park for the employees
Cons
Short hours (part time)
Enjoy working with the clients
housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Riverview, NB1 October 2013
Well my day starts at 7am and ends at 3 pm. I start cleaning my first room which takes about 45 minutes. I have learned that i love working with seniors they are the reason i enjoy my job.The hardest part of my job is working morning shifts i can perform well doing them but perfer nights.
Pros
great people
Caring and fun workplace.
CCA - Client Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Quispamsis, NB30 August 2013
It is a long term care/nursing home, you work nursing hours/shift work. You provide hands on nursing care to the clients, be there to assist them with their ADL's, support them physically, mentally and emotionally. Feeding, lifts and transfers, it is a very physical job, you work hard. To me it is a very rewarding career, for on a daily basis it's not only what you give, but what you get back from the clients and their families that makes it all worth while to be doing.

My management team works with its employees so that they can provide the best care possible to their clients. They are also supportive and caring towards their employees.

It is a team effort with my co-workers that on a daily basis we provide the best care possible for our clients, team work is a must.

I must say the hardest part of my job is that you do become attached and grow to love and care for your clients/family members. So, when they do pass you do feel a loss, but you know that you have helped them in their life journey and provided them the best care possible, which is very humbling and rewarding.

The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to know the clients and their family members, to become a part of their lives. Share, love and laugh with them, but also be there to support them in the difficult times. Plus, working with great people from front line workers to management daily.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Physically, mentally and emotionally at times hard.

2.9