Shakespeare in Action is a professional theatre company that aspires to enhance the arts and education through exploring and performing Shakespeare's plays. We have operated continuously for 25 years, inspiring audiences of all ages to discover Shakespeare's universal truths in our everyday world.
We think it is vital to create theatre that reflects our contemporary world and as such we are a multicultural company committed to providing the highest quality theatre at affordable prices. We believe Shakespeare should be accessible to everyone, regardless of his or her socio-economic background. For many young people, studying Shakespeare can be an alienating and daunting experience. We strive to help young people make connections with Shakespeare's timeless themes, and our work promises to awaken a passion for Shakespeare!
Working in partnership with the Artistic Director, the General Manager works to achieve the vision of the theatre, while ensuring that Shakespeare in Action has the financial and physical resources to achieve its vision. The General Manager also oversees the delivery of theatrical production by working in concert with the team of actors, theatre artists, front of house staff, volunteers and other personnel. Shakespeare in Action is a committed to fostering a collaborative environment that encourages teamwork and creativity.
The General Manager reports directly to the Board, and is responsible for the financial integrity and operations of the organization.
- Development and execution of annual operating budget and financial forecasting including cash flow statements and the setting of financial resource acquisition goals.
- Management of staff, including production, actors, educators, development, marketing, sales, interns and volunteers.
- Supervising production development, with the assistance of production staff.
- Grant writing, foundation asks and corporate sponsorship pitches.
- Liaise with stakeholders including TAPA, PACT, TDSB, TCDSB, Toronto Public Library and Central Commerce C.I. to deliver programs and nurture the company’s strategic growth.
- Coordinate and plan fundraisers including the annual Shakespeare Challenge.
- In partnership with the Board, ensure SIA is well placed for future growth and audience development.
- Contract artistic staff and ensure compliance with CTA, PWG, CDA and other agencies.
- Develop and oversee the delivery of Company’s education, outreach and marketing plans.
- Provide HR management including recruitment, employee relations and policy development.
- General management and oversight of its day-to-day operations.
- Participate in Board recruitment and development.
- Participate in policy and strategic planning in cooperation with the Board.
- Manage website content, layout and images while ensuring optimization (SEO).
- Prepare annual statements for year-end audits and Company Annual Report.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Proven leadership capability.
- At least three years of experience in senior management in a small not-for-profit arts organization.
- Successful track record with grant writing and fundraising.
- A successful track record in fiscal management.
- Ability to translate artistic needs and values into institutional strategies and specific operating plans.
- Experience in working with and engaging a Board of Directors.
Desirable skills include:
- Proficiency in Photoshop, in-design and illustrator, with experience in designing marketing materials.
- Experience working in an educational or school setting.
- Knowledge and familiarity with CTA.
Shakespeare in Action is an equal opportunity employer, with a deep commitment to reflecting the vibrant cultural diversity of our city in our creative and administrative team.
- Applications will be accepted until November 1, 2013 but applicants are urged to send your materials as soon as possible. We will be reviewing candidates in order of their submission.
Indeed - 6 months ago
Shakespeare in Action is a professional theatre company that aspires to enhance the arts and education through exploring and performing...