SGS

QC Inspector (Former Employee), albertaJuly 23, 2014
• SGS-QC Inspector long lake Jan 2012. Qualified QC Inspection
very bad terrible managment
tech. (Former Employee), Fort mcmurray albertaMay 2, 2014
Pros: time off
Cons: work atmosphere
Basically....supervisors and managment are in positions because of time served at company not because of qualifications. Management and supervisors should be replaced with monkeys.
Complete lack of integrity.
Very Diverse community, lack of effective communication
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 30, 2014
Pros: good experience.
Cons: long hours, high job demand, high work load
As my supervisor always was grateful about, I had been a valued member of the lab team by always being someone they could count on. However I left that job because I had better job offer and position which suited me better. However there were many issues about relationship among the workers and employers. Also high job demands and pressure on employees – more... was the first reason for workers to quit their jobs. Also there were many conflicts about the relationship and communication issue, I still believe that communication among the workers and employer was not strong as it could be. As l gain experience more and more every year I strongly believe that effectively communicating could be involved more than just providing information when demanded and proactively providing information to the team as issues arise was the best source of conflict in that work place. – less
Bad place to work
Analyst (Current Employee), MississaugaApril 12, 2014
Pros: one shift.
Cons: do not value people, low salary
Worst ever Management. So many politics and favoritism. They do not value people who work hard. Only concern about the profit.
Poor work environment. Not a place for a long term carrier.
I had many great experiences and learned a lot.
Terminal Berth Operator (Former Employee), Sarnia, ONJanuary 3, 2014
Pros: great training, good wages, job security
SGS Canada was a great company to work for. During my time with the company they enrolled me into many different training programs including Structural Firefighting and many others. The management was great and they offered a competitive benefits package. They treat their employees very well.
DECEIVING
Fire Suppression Technician (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABOctober 28, 2013
GOOD PAY
GOOD SCHEDULE
MANAGEMENT IS NOT WELL INFORMED
MANAGEMENT IS RARELY AT WORK SITE
EMPLOYEE'S ARE NOT TREATED EQUALLY
VERY MUCH A 'NAME HIRE' ORGANIZATION
Long days and Fast paced
Truck inspector (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 22, 2013
Pros: good pay
Cons: shift work 365 days a year
Friendly small team fast paced, work out door all weather conditions.
shift work good pay.
work with B train unites and others like ceda and lube trucks.
Nice environment to work - communication is easy as people are almost of the same age group
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), Phoenix, MauritiusFebruary 28, 2013
Basically, my day involves sample preparation, its digestion and reading them
horrible experience
analytical geochemist (Current Employee), Lakefield, OnOctober 26, 2012
Pros: some amazing staff
Cons: horrible management, comunication and fairness. big populatity contest
I have worked for geological engineering firms, municipalities and not for profit organizations.

I came to SGS looking for a final place to settle down and start a career. I had an abusive supervisor, very little positive feedback, no proper management (ironic as i was a manager in past jobs).

No one in the Lakefield Company communicates with other – more... departments and has no hope to know who is doing what.

I have never seen a company advertise a job fair at the same time as having mass layoffs. they hire people asap when there is any sort of back log just to lay them and current contracts off because there is soon no work. if you have an education expect to be doing a lot of disposing of scrap metals and cardboard because they actually pay you less than a janitor at SGS (granted the janitorial staff are amazing and deserve their wage)

New lab being built? why? They can't land the contracts to fuel a lab 1/3 the size of the new one.

I am disgusted that a company I grew up near, it was such a disappointment. Every bad review here is accurate and unfortunate for those who get sucked in with promises and hope. NO JOB SECURITY AT ALL RUNNN!

I am working to get out ASAP! and good thing as i and 21 other ppl got handed out 2 weeks notice and there is much more to come.

Thanks for reading this as I am trying to help you not make the same mistake as I by thinking a world wide company has anything to offer. – less
Not a good company at all!!
Lab tech (Former Employee), Fort McMurray ABOctober 3, 2012
Pros: none beside good on your resume
Cons: very under paid, horrible management, extremely unorganized
I worked with SGS for over a year 16 months to be exact. While working there, their was many people coming and going. Some of the people I worked with were great people while others not so much. I had a great supervisor :) not all managers were bad, but for the most part.. Most employees are a very under paid, except for the suck ups. Supposedly after – more... 3 months you will get your benefits and a $3 raise! The whole 16 months I worked there I didn't see either of those! There is also a lot of those not so importaint people who think they are god,and when they see someone doing one little thing wrong they go run and tell the management! Which If you ask me, it is pathetic. This company is very extremely unorganized! If you work there for too long the work and management will drive you insane! – less

December 23, 2012

Hi, so far reviews have not been good for SGS but they have a lot of jobs going and I need a job. Just wanted to know from you what the salary for a lab technician/assistant role was at SGS. If anyone else knows please feel free to answer. There are a number of lab jobs at SGS that I wont to apply but I will like to get a rough idea of what they pay is. If its too little I wont even bother. Cheers

SGS is garbage!
Data Entry Administrator (Former Employee), Fort McMurrayJune 26, 2012
Cons: managers are monkeys, gossips, doesnt matter what position your doing you still have a chance to work in the freezer, low wage, disrepectful managers, supervisors think they are god
This is the worst company i have ever worked. The managers are fighting each every day. I saw one of my managers walked out crying. Bunch of monkeys! My job was data entry clerk yet I was working in the freezer carrying heavy samples.
same as other one
Shift Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), Ellesmere Port, ENGSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: non
Cons: as above
same as other review
dreadful place of work !
Arguments.
people constantly causing trouble
bad management
Driving tester
Driving Tester (Former Employee), City west TallaghtSeptember 15, 2014
I loved every minute of this job. I met all kinds of people, the members of staff I worked with and the people I tested every day. I would start at 8am and finish at 4.30. , every day was different , exiting and I learnt a lot about people. The hardest part was failing people and the most enjoyable was passing people.

I worked with a great bunch of – more... people. They were all helpful, funny and supportive . – less
SGS in South Africa is not a great company to work for
Chemist (Former Employee), Richards bay, KZNSeptember 13, 2014
Pros: you'll know what to look for in a company
Cons: it's not a great company to work for, with high staff turnover.
SGS has some of the best policies & procedures BUT management doesn't follow them. It's for show basically... Read through their website and you'll be sold, get in - totally different story. Racial awareness is huge at SGS SA and not in a good way.
Very good place to work
Shift Technician, ICP/Instrumentation Operator (Former Employee), Ellesmere Port, ENGSeptember 8, 2014
Pros: training and promotion
Cons: salary
Learnt alot about petrochemical and was promoted several times into various roles, only left on the advice of an ex-co worker and made a big mistakeTrain
n/a
Planner/Scheduler (Current Employee), Lynchburg, VAAugust 5, 2014
I have learned a lot within this company, after 11 years. Just ready to do soemthing different.
Avoid working at the Toulon, IL office
Seasonal Office Assistant (Former Employee), Toulon, ILJuly 30, 2014
Pros: friendly co-workers
Cons: horrible managers
Management is what makes this company difficult to work for. Co-workers are friendly and helpful.
sharing ideas while working
Laboratory Analyst (Current Employee), Johannesburg, GPJuly 24, 2014
Cons: yes we do long hours sometimes if we had to
I enjoy with my co-workers because as a team and we respect each other,i have learned to share and to communicate with others in a respectable way.Well most of my co-workers are nice and friendly they are easily to talk to,I like every single part of my job,I enjoy the most when there are samples cause they keep me busy and focus.
no room for advancement/unacceptable management practices
Front End Underwriter (Current Employee), Houston, TXJuly 19, 2014
Sutherland is ran poorly the management doesn't care about employees. bottom line only
AVERAGE
Junior Inspector (Former Employee), ST Croix USVIJuly 16, 2014
Work environment adequate to meet legal requirements for OSHA and MSHA

1 2 3 4 5

About SGS

You know those little stickers that say "Inspected by 2438"? Meet 2438. SGS North America, a division of global testing – Read more