SGS

SGS Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Bad place to work
Analyst (Current Employee), MississaugaApril 12, 2014
Pros: one shift.
Cons: do not value people, low salary
Worst ever Management. So many politics and favoritism. They do not value people who work hard. Only concern about the profit.
Poor work environment. Not a place for a long term carrier.
I had many great experiences and learned a lot.
Terminal Berth Operator (Former Employee), Sarnia, ONJanuary 3, 2014
Pros: great training, good wages, job security
SGS Canada was a great company to work for. During my time with the company they enrolled me into many different training programs including Structural Firefighting and many others. The management was great and they offered a competitive benefits package. They treat their employees very well.
DECEIVING
Fire Suppression Technician (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABOctober 28, 2013
GOOD PAY
GOOD SCHEDULE
MANAGEMENT IS NOT WELL INFORMED
MANAGEMENT IS RARELY AT WORK SITE
EMPLOYEE'S ARE NOT TREATED EQUALLY
VERY MUCH A 'NAME HIRE' ORGANIZATION
Long days and Fast paced
Truck inspector (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 22, 2013
Pros: good pay
Cons: shift work 365 days a year
Friendly small team fast paced, work out door all weather conditions.
shift work good pay.
work with B train unites and others like ceda and lube trucks.
Geotechnical Technologist (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABAugust 25, 2013
Pros: housing benifit and a lot of overtime
Cons: long hours
Mostly work is on field. Good to work with different oil companies.
welding and painting Superviser in offshore (Current Employee), AhvāzMay 10, 2013
Execute the field welding inspection, surveillance and Quality Control activities on site. Ensure that all welding operations are executed in accordance with all relevant Codes of Practices and Company procedures/practices.

• Execute the specific inspections on materials, equipment and construction installation activities on site.
• Issue the relevant – more... Quality Records, send non- conformances reports (NCR) to Quality Control Supervisor, ensuring that the inspections and controls are carried out and documented in accordance with the Quality.
• Control welding parameters and consumables during installation/construction activities.
• Control procedures and qualifications of welders.
• Check the availability and suitability of the filler material and of the preheating, welding, heat treatment, the bevels. Check the extent of the repairs made by the various welders and taking any corrective actions.
• Check and record pipe sequence.
• Perform Pipe line up check, ensuring that all installed pipe/fittings are to the correct specification and that the material is in accordance with the specified Material Traceability requirements.
• Carry out visual inspections.
• Verify collaboration/linearity.
• Monitor defect removal, by Magnetic Permeability Inspection (MPI).
• Accept Non Destructive Test-NDT inspection.
• Check readiness of NDT equipment.
• Handle all welding technical queries and investigating
• Ensure that all Welding, Heat Treatment, any hardness testing, Inspection and Non-destructive testing are in compliance with the relevant codes and specifications.
• Collect and manage/check certification testing, control and inspection documents, ensuring that all welding and testing related records form a complete package.
• Ensure the correct implementation of the approved Inspection Test Plan by Construction Contractor.
• Examine work in progress and effectively supervise repair procedures.
• Review welding requirements for field erected structures. – less
Nice environment to work - communication is easy as people are almost of the same age group
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), Phoenix, MauritiusFebruary 28, 2013
Basically, my day involves sample preparation, its digestion and reading them
horrible experience
analytical geochemist (Current Employee), Lakefield, OnOctober 26, 2012
Pros: some amazing staff
Cons: horrible management, comunication and fairness. big populatity contest
I have worked for geological engineering firms, municipalities and not for profit organizations.

I came to SGS looking for a final place to settle down and start a career. I had an abusive supervisor, very little positive feedback, no proper management (ironic as i was a manager in past jobs).

No one in the Lakefield Company communicates with other – more... departments and has no hope to know who is doing what.

I have never seen a company advertise a job fair at the same time as having mass layoffs. they hire people asap when there is any sort of back log just to lay them and current contracts off because there is soon no work. if you have an education expect to be doing a lot of disposing of scrap metals and cardboard because they actually pay you less than a janitor at SGS (granted the janitorial staff are amazing and deserve their wage)

New lab being built? why? They can't land the contracts to fuel a lab 1/3 the size of the new one.

I am disgusted that a company I grew up near, it was such a disappointment. Every bad review here is accurate and unfortunate for those who get sucked in with promises and hope. NO JOB SECURITY AT ALL RUNNN!

I am working to get out ASAP! and good thing as i and 21 other ppl got handed out 2 weeks notice and there is much more to come.

Thanks for reading this as I am trying to help you not make the same mistake as I by thinking a world wide company has anything to offer. – less
Not a good company at all!!
Lab tech (Former Employee), Fort McMurray ABOctober 3, 2012
Pros: none beside good on your resume
Cons: very under paid, horrible management, extremely unorganized
I worked with SGS for over a year 16 months to be exact. While working there, their was many people coming and going. Some of the people I worked with were great people while others not so much. I had a great supervisor :) not all managers were bad, but for the most part.. Most employees are a very under paid, except for the suck ups. Supposedly after – more... 3 months you will get your benefits and a $3 raise! The whole 16 months I worked there I didn't see either of those! There is also a lot of those not so importaint people who think they are god,and when they see someone doing one little thing wrong they go run and tell the management! Which If you ask me, it is pathetic. This company is very extremely unorganized! If you work there for too long the work and management will drive you insane! – less

Joseph1 – December 23, 2012

Hi, so far reviews have not been good for SGS but they have a lot of jobs going and I need a job. Just wanted to know from you what the salary for a lab technician/assistant role was at SGS. If anyone else knows please feel free to answer. There are a number of lab jobs at SGS that I wont to apply but I will like to get a rough idea of what they pay is. If its too little I wont even bother. Cheers

SGS is garbage!
Data Entry Administrator (Former Employee), Fort McMurrayJune 26, 2012
Cons: managers are monkeys, gossips, doesnt matter what position your doing you still have a chance to work in the freezer, low wage, disrepectful managers, supervisors think they are god
This is the worst company i have ever worked. The managers are fighting each every day. I saw one of my managers walked out crying. Bunch of monkeys! My job was data entry clerk yet I was working in the freezer carrying heavy samples.
Taking care of the employee
Lab Manager (Former Employee), Boston, MAApril 10, 2014
This is a company that puts the well been of its employees first.
Enjoyable and fun male-dominated workplace
Workshop Administrator (Current Employee), Hornby, ChristchurchApril 9, 2014
Pros: petrol allowance
Cons: not enough challenges
After 10 years working in the education sector, to change to the world of engineering has provided me with the knowledge that adaptability is a strength of mine
Local Key Account Manager (Current Employee), Rutherford, NJApril 9, 2014
Ok company for people right out of college. Not much room for advancement in the home office.
Politics- if the managers don't like u, ur pretty much done for.
lab tech (Current Employee), Deer Park, texasApril 1, 2014
Pros: medical is reasonable and there are some good people who work there.
Cons: very poor management, money, advancement, certain staff, favoritism, nepotism, etc....
I work in the Deer Park lab for 5 yrs. I work my tail off to move up but the lab manager was all about favoritism. If she didn't like u she made it known to everyone. She is a condescending mean woman and will treat you miserably. The other staff are no better or just follow along even if they disagree with her. And if u try and go to HR they don't – more... do much to help you feel comfortable. The raises are only given based on how much you can such up rather than performance. Also everyone is always in your business. Nothing u do goes unseen by someone. – less
Excellent Company
Assist ant ManagerConsumerT esting (Former Employee), UK or DubaiMarch 19, 2014
Excellent Company, i have already work in SGS, i have learnt many things, great management
Dynamic Work Environment however extended working hours
Operations Coordinator (Current Employee), Lahore, PPBMarch 18, 2014
Dynamic Work Environment
Extended Working Hours
Friendly Co-Workers
GOOD FOR TRAINING. HOPELESS FOR CAREER
Administrative for SGS (Current Employee), Madrid, MDMarch 18, 2014
Pros: intensive shift, training
Cons: promotion almos impossible, needs of networking
It is a company that pays lot of attention in training their workers, but unfortunately don't use this trining for its own profits.

A typical day in work is not taking any recognition for the work done.

The propmotion without a connection/networking is not easy. Use to prejudice inner workers and search for profiles outside the company, not valuing – more... its own crew in advance.

Summaryzing: Is a great company for getting trainned but not goog for promotions. – less
All work no play, no social aspect to the company
Project Manager (Current Employee), Abu Dhabi, UAEMarch 10, 2014
I've learned that accredited structures within a company are essential to the future success of the company and its employees.
work isnt hard poor managment
PRODUCTION/WAREHOUSE TECHNICIAN (Current Employee), Baton Rouge,laFebruary 5, 2014
Pros: get feed once at month
Cons: little to no advancement
Co workers make the job fun
very little pay raises
supervisors are never there when you need them
easy to get along with
Heavy Fuels Supervisor / Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), Deer Park, TXJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: quite and repetitious
Cons: pay, no progression
Work was the same day in and day out. Nothing big really happened. You went in and did your job. It was quit and no one really bothered you as long as the work was getting out

1 2 3 4 5

About SGS

You know those little stickers that say "Inspected by 2438"? Meet 2438. SGS North America, a division of global testing and verification – Read more