SGS

SGS Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
very bad terrible managment
tech. (Former Employee), Fort mcmurray albertaMay 2, 2014
Pros: time off
Cons: work atmosphere
Basically....supervisors and managment are in positions because of time served at company not because of qualifications. Management and supervisors should be replaced with monkeys.
Complete lack of integrity.
Very Diverse community, lack of effective communication
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 30, 2014
Pros: good experience.
Cons: long hours, high job demand, high work load
As my supervisor always was grateful about, I had been a valued member of the lab team by always being someone they could count on. However I left that job because I had better job offer and position which suited me better. However there were many issues about relationship among the workers and employers. Also high job demands and pressure on employees – more... was the first reason for workers to quit their jobs. Also there were many conflicts about the relationship and communication issue, I still believe that communication among the workers and employer was not strong as it could be. As l gain experience more and more every year I strongly believe that effectively communicating could be involved more than just providing information when demanded and proactively providing information to the team as issues arise was the best source of conflict in that work place. – less
Bad place to work
Analyst (Current Employee), MississaugaApril 12, 2014
Pros: one shift.
Cons: do not value people, low salary
Worst ever Management. So many politics and favoritism. They do not value people who work hard. Only concern about the profit.
Poor work environment. Not a place for a long term carrier.
I had many great experiences and learned a lot.
Terminal Berth Operator (Former Employee), Sarnia, ONJanuary 3, 2014
Pros: great training, good wages, job security
SGS Canada was a great company to work for. During my time with the company they enrolled me into many different training programs including Structural Firefighting and many others. The management was great and they offered a competitive benefits package. They treat their employees very well.
Long days and Fast paced
Truck inspector (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 22, 2013
Pros: good pay
Cons: shift work 365 days a year
Friendly small team fast paced, work out door all weather conditions.
shift work good pay.
work with B train unites and others like ceda and lube trucks.
Geotechnical Technologist (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABAugust 25, 2013
Pros: housing benifit and a lot of overtime
Cons: long hours
Mostly work is on field. Good to work with different oil companies.
welding and painting Superviser in offshore (Current Employee), AhvāzMay 10, 2013
Execute the field welding inspection, surveillance and Quality Control activities on site. Ensure that all welding operations are executed in accordance with all relevant Codes of Practices and Company procedures/practices.

• Execute the specific inspections on materials, equipment and construction installation activities on site.
• Issue the relevant – more... Quality Records, send non- conformances reports (NCR) to Quality Control Supervisor, ensuring that the inspections and controls are carried out and documented in accordance with the Quality.
• Control welding parameters and consumables during installation/construction activities.
• Control procedures and qualifications of welders.
• Check the availability and suitability of the filler material and of the preheating, welding, heat treatment, the bevels. Check the extent of the repairs made by the various welders and taking any corrective actions.
• Check and record pipe sequence.
• Perform Pipe line up check, ensuring that all installed pipe/fittings are to the correct specification and that the material is in accordance with the specified Material Traceability requirements.
• Carry out visual inspections.
• Verify collaboration/linearity.
• Monitor defect removal, by Magnetic Permeability Inspection (MPI).
• Accept Non Destructive Test-NDT inspection.
• Check readiness of NDT equipment.
• Handle all welding technical queries and investigating
• Ensure that all Welding, Heat Treatment, any hardness testing, Inspection and Non-destructive testing are in compliance with the relevant codes and specifications.
• Collect and manage/check certification testing, control and inspection documents, ensuring that all welding and testing related records form a complete package.
• Ensure the correct implementation of the approved Inspection Test Plan by Construction Contractor.
• Examine work in progress and effectively supervise repair procedures.
• Review welding requirements for field erected structures. – less
You can learn something new every day.
PRODUCT MANAGER MEDICAL DEVICES (Current Employee), SPAINMarch 9, 2013
You can learn something new every day because you visit a lot of customer.
Nice environment to work - communication is easy as people are almost of the same age group
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), Phoenix, MauritiusFebruary 28, 2013
Basically, my day involves sample preparation, its digestion and reading them
horrible experience
analytical geochemist (Current Employee), Lakefield, OnOctober 26, 2012
Pros: some amazing staff
Cons: horrible management, comunication and fairness. big populatity contest
I have worked for geological engineering firms, municipalities and not for profit organizations.

I came to SGS looking for a final place to settle down and start a career. I had an abusive supervisor, very little positive feedback, no proper management (ironic as i was a manager in past jobs).

No one in the Lakefield Company communicates with other – more... departments and has no hope to know who is doing what.

I have never seen a company advertise a job fair at the same time as having mass layoffs. they hire people asap when there is any sort of back log just to lay them and current contracts off because there is soon no work. if you have an education expect to be doing a lot of disposing of scrap metals and cardboard because they actually pay you less than a janitor at SGS (granted the janitorial staff are amazing and deserve their wage)

New lab being built? why? They can't land the contracts to fuel a lab 1/3 the size of the new one.

I am disgusted that a company I grew up near, it was such a disappointment. Every bad review here is accurate and unfortunate for those who get sucked in with promises and hope. NO JOB SECURITY AT ALL RUNNN!

I am working to get out ASAP! and good thing as i and 21 other ppl got handed out 2 weeks notice and there is much more to come.

Thanks for reading this as I am trying to help you not make the same mistake as I by thinking a world wide company has anything to offer. – less
Not a good company at all!!
Lab tech (Former Employee), Fort McMurray ABOctober 3, 2012
Pros: none beside good on your resume
Cons: very under paid, horrible management, extremely unorganized
I worked with SGS for over a year 16 months to be exact. While working there, their was many people coming and going. Some of the people I worked with were great people while others not so much. I had a great supervisor :) not all managers were bad, but for the most part.. Most employees are a very under paid, except for the suck ups. Supposedly after – more... 3 months you will get your benefits and a $3 raise! The whole 16 months I worked there I didn't see either of those! There is also a lot of those not so importaint people who think they are god,and when they see someone doing one little thing wrong they go run and tell the management! Which If you ask me, it is pathetic. This company is very extremely unorganized! If you work there for too long the work and management will drive you insane! – less

Joseph1 – December 23, 2012

Hi, so far reviews have not been good for SGS but they have a lot of jobs going and I need a job. Just wanted to know from you what the salary for a lab technician/assistant role was at SGS. If anyone else knows please feel free to answer. There are a number of lab jobs at SGS that I wont to apply but I will like to get a rough idea of what they pay is. If its too little I wont even bother. Cheers

SGS is garbage!
Data Entry Administrator (Former Employee), Fort McMurrayJune 26, 2012
Cons: managers are monkeys, gossips, doesnt matter what position your doing you still have a chance to work in the freezer, low wage, disrepectful managers, supervisors think they are god
This is the worst company i have ever worked. The managers are fighting each every day. I saw one of my managers walked out crying. Bunch of monkeys! My job was data entry clerk yet I was working in the freezer carrying heavy samples.
sharing ideas while working
Laboratory Analyst (Current Employee), Johannesburg, GPJuly 24, 2014
Cons: yes we do long hours sometimes if we had to
I enjoy with my co-workers because as a team and we respect each other,i have learned to share and to communicate with others in a respectable way.Well most of my co-workers are nice and friendly they are easily to talk to,I like every single part of my job,I enjoy the most when there are samples cause they keep me busy and focus.
no room for advancement/unacceptable management practices
Front End Underwriter (Current Employee), Houston, TXJuly 19, 2014
Sutherland is ran poorly the management doesn't care about employees. bottom line only
AVERAGE
Junior Inspector (Former Employee), ST Croix USVIJuly 16, 2014
Work environment adequate to meet legal requirements for OSHA and MSHA
Great company to work for
Dow Chemical Dock Operator (Former Employee), Plaquemine, LAJuly 5, 2014
Pros: lots of time off
Cons: plant life
- great work balance
- employee screening very good
- good management
Positive managers that go above and beyond
Regional Dispatcher Northern Region (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHJune 19, 2014
Pros: communication, laughter, team work, and problem solving
Cons: long hours
My typical day at work is very busy, I am constantly on the phone talking to my inspectors. Preparing my reports daily submitting information for our customers. When there are issues in the field as a dispatcher I try to resolve the problems. Being a dispatcher I have learned a company revolves around what we do. For me the key factors of becoming a – more... great dispatcher is Knowing how to coordinate, lead, and keep everyone productive. There will always be fires to put out but its how you choose to do so. Being a dispatcher has a lot of rewards and the best one for me is knowing I am making a difference in a customers eyes. – less
AVOID
Former Employee (admin) (Former Employee), Weston-super-MareJune 2, 2014
Cons: incompetent management and internal politics
Overlaiden with impossible and unachieveable tasks all of which were urgent and resulting from poor management and organisation of the office.
Lacking in any real investment in staff training. Much of what I learnt regarding procedures was self-taught.
Unprofessional and incompetent management often absent from the office. Abusive and bullying work – more... environment with a huge turnover in staff.
Co-workers were generally quite unhappy and unfulfilled. If a colleague managed to promote themselves constantly and 'talk the talk' this was pleasing to management who were easily fooled by those with an elevated sense of self-importance but who were lacking in any concrete foundation. Other collegues that worked themselves to the bone did not receive the recognition and support they deserved so left.
Hardest part of job was trying to work productively and respond to unrealistic demands as well as trying to decipher the internal politics.
The most enjoyable part of the job was leaving the office on time and taking annual leave. – less
Ive enjoyed every minute of every day that Ive worked here
Process Manager- North America (Current Employee), Deer Park, TXMay 31, 2014
Only looking to leave due to plans of relocation.

There is always room for advancement.

There are never any days where you come to work looking for things to do.
Great Employers, Great Work Environment
Sampling Crew (Former Employee), Wyoming, ILMay 15, 2014
Pros: physical labor, outdoors, supportive staff
A typical day consisted of arriving to work at 7:00 A.M. Once at work you're given the plan for the day, then all the workers travel in trucks to a field plot. Once everyone has arrived at the field plot the workers begin the process of preparing the corn to be ready for sampling. A regular day will include pollinating the plants, sampling the plants – more... with supervisors, and removing unwanted foliage from the plot. The supervisors were very helpful and positively reinforced the employees on a regular basis. – less

1 2 3 4 5

About SGS

You know those little stickers that say "Inspected by 2438"? Meet 2438. SGS North America, a division of global testing and verification – Read more