SGS Employee Reviews in Canada

Avoid if possible
Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJuly 13, 2016
Worked in Industrial business line in Alberta. Interesting work, great coworkers and technicians. Management in Calgary lack industry knowledge and competency. The VP is surrounded by yes men who don't have a clue. Definitely a company on the decline.
Pros
Global name
Cons
Inadequate leadership
sgs
grain inspector (Former Employee) –  Prince Rupert, BCJuly 6, 2016
horrible management, poor working condition, No workers rights,
Daily tasks would be inspecting and weighting grain samples and various general labor duties.
good place to learn things for a beginner
Laboratory Analyst (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 22, 2016
stressful and fast-pace environment
good place to learn skills
good place to get familiar with cGMP
Good management
Good people to work with
Great Work Environment
Team Manager/Supervisor/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BCJuly 9, 2015
Wonderful place to work, lots of room to advance, travel and expand your knowledge if you are willing to put in the work. The time I spent at this company was absolutely amazing and one of the best jobs I have ever had.
Pros
Training Given
Cons
sometimes bad hours
awful company to work for
loader (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, onJune 16, 2015
I have been on strike with Sgs in Sarnia on since March 21. They are an awful company that treat their employees like garbage. They have incompetent management that are hired because they are friends and family with no experience at their job. If you work in Sarnia you will be crossing a picket line.
Pros
Cons
management
negligent, irresponsible, ignorant and incompetent leadership
Railcar Loader/Dock Technician (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, OnJune 14, 2015
I've read all the reviews and you can tell which ones were submitted by management personnel to combat the negativity. This company is a farce! People are in operations roles with no professional schooling or background and no one to control them. There's no accountability at an operations level as long as there are profits being made. I've dealt with many companies over the years and this one is by far the worst in every perspective. A company like this thrives off the despiration of their workers to get the job done at lower than industry standard compensation and treatment.
Cons
incompetent operation & hr group, no job stability
Avoid this company at all costs.
Railcar Loader/Dock Technician (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ONMay 7, 2015
Management makes working for this company a terrible experience. Untrained and inexperienced. They harrass, bully and intimidate in order tovget their way. The jobs themselves are good jobs and would be great if they were for a better run company. At my location we have a workforce of about 35 employees most of whom actively seek new employment. There is too many lies from management to keep track of. If thinking of applying for a job with SGS, don't do it. You will regret working here.
Pros
Decent co-workers
Cons
Almost everything
worst company i have ever worked for
dock tech/rail car loader (Current Employee) –  sarniaApril 24, 2015
Nothing but lies from this company I wasted 7 years of my life to end up further behind in wage then my previous job.Managers half of my management staff is related by marriage and have no idea how to do the jobs that their employee's are doing. Just getting proper safety equipment is a chore. Favoritism and harassment seem to be the common management style as well as bulling tactics. The pay is well below industry standard.Everyone I work with is seeking other job opportunities.
Pros
Cons
pay/ management/lies/harassment
Poor working conditions
welding examiner (Former Employee) –  Edmonton LudwigApril 22, 2015
very cheap company to work for was promised benefits when I was hired on never did get them. Had to complete all my new hire sign on documentation on my own time. Had work through coffee and lunch breaks never got any extra pay for it.Welding shop has nothing for tools. Had to supply all my own ppe company has bad attitude about safety.
Pros
Cons
cheap skates
Flexible and innovative place to work
Junior Metallurgist (Former Employee) –  Lakefield, ONMarch 21, 2015
SGS was a place of innovation that tackled many different types of projects. The equipment available was world class. It was enjoyable to have such a diverese work experience as it was on a project by project bases. There was a wealth of knowledge ready to be shared. SGS though could improve on organization and planning.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
job security
Busy work environment
Control Panel Operator (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, ABOctober 16, 2014
Very busy work environment. It's a great company however it is new to operations at this location and is still trying to get all the fine details worked out. Once they are, they will thrive. Management is great, but will continue to get better as the company gets used to the work flow at this location. A lot of the staff are very new, but are eager and show great potential with the right leadership. This means there is a lot of time dedicated to training.
All in all it's a good place to be.
Pros
longer stretches of days off
QC Inspection
QC Inspector (Former Employee) –  albertaJuly 23, 2014
• SGS-QC Inspector long lake Jan 2012. Qualified QC Inspection
very bad terrible managment
tech. (Former Employee) –  Fort mcmurray albertaMay 2, 2014
Basically....supervisors and managment are in positions because of time served at company not because of qualifications. Management and supervisors should be replaced with monkeys.
Complete lack of integrity.
Pros
time off
Cons
work atmosphere
Very Diverse community, lack of effective communication
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 30, 2014
As my supervisor always was grateful about, I had been a valued member of the lab team by always being someone they could count on. However I left that job because I had better job offer and position which suited me better. However there were many issues about relationship among the workers and employers. Also high job demands and pressure on employees was the first reason for workers to quit their jobs. Also there were many conflicts about the relationship and communication issue, I still believe that communication among the workers and employer was not strong as it could be. As l gain experience more and more every year I strongly believe that effectively communicating could be involved more than just providing information when demanded and proactively providing information to the team as issues arise was the best source of conflict in that work place.
Pros
good experience.
Cons
long hours, high job demand, high work load
Bad place to work
Analyst (Current Employee) –  MississaugaApril 12, 2014
Worst ever Management. So many politics and favoritism. They do not value people who work hard. Only concern about the profit.
Poor work environment. Not a place for a long term carrier.
Pros
one shift.
Cons
do not value people, low salary
I had many great experiences and learned a lot.
Terminal Berth Operator (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONJanuary 3, 2014
SGS Canada was a great company to work for. During my time with the company they enrolled me into many different training programs including Structural Firefighting and many others. The management was great and they offered a competitive benefits package. They treat their employees very well.
Pros
great training, good wages, job security
DECEIVING
Fire Suppression Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABOctober 28, 2013
GOOD PAY
GOOD SCHEDULE
MANAGEMENT IS NOT WELL INFORMED
MANAGEMENT IS RARELY AT WORK SITE
EMPLOYEE'S ARE NOT TREATED EQUALLY
VERY MUCH A 'NAME HIRE' ORGANIZATION
Long days and Fast paced
Truck inspector (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 22, 2013
Friendly small team fast paced, work out door all weather conditions.
shift work good pay.
work with B train unites and others like ceda and lube trucks.
Pros
good pay
Cons
shift work 365 days a year
Geotechnical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABAugust 25, 2013
Mostly work is on field. Good to work with different oil companies.
Pros
housing benifit and a lot of overtime
Cons
Nice environment to work - communication is easy as people are almost of the same age group
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, MauritiusFebruary 28, 2013
Basically, my day involves sample preparation, its digestion and reading them