SGS Employee Reviews

productive and friendly
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB23 August 2017
Great company to work, learning and experience.
Supervisors are Ok. Practice a lots of safety. The workplace cultural was diversify and friendly. Organized company.
Pros
Diversity
Cons
A once great lab, now just a souless all for profit production lab.
Chemist (Former Employee) –  Sidney, BC11 June 2017
There are some great people working at the location I was at, but they are being weeded out for the most part.
The work life is trash, unhappy workers, incompetent middle management, and garbage pay even after years of service.
Tons of health hazards and old systems cobbled together.

The company only cares about profits now. Which is very unfortunate. Was working 6 day weeks.

Run while you can.
Pros
Its a job, not a career.
Cons
Pay, workload, health hazards, middle management is some of the worst I have ever seen.
Worst place to be
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 June 2017
You would have to be an idiot to work here brainless lacking any self respect just plain stupid and willing to be treated worse than a homeless dog. Plant manager is a complete a hole and should be behind bars not messing with people's lives. Avoid this place at all costs even if you have to flip burgers you will be better off and happier. Do not work here.
great work/life balance
Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON4 June 2017
One of the best jobs i have had, worked great with my school schedule and other commitments. Long hours were made alot shorter with great management and other employees
Never recieve any single call
Technician (Former Employee) –  Canada15 May 2017
I have doubt that this company is really exist if yes then all these adds are true. I applied for many jobs but did not get any single call. I have good experience too.
Pros
Cons
Never recieve any call
in 10 years experience i learn a lot through my carrier in sgs as a lab technician
SGS Lab technician (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB24 April 2017
how to deal with stress full situations when you are working lonely
time management
safely work environment
you are analysing samples plant operations depend on your results and your instrumentation giving problems working alone that is the real tough situation
i enjoy the team work
Pros
going for launches with customers
Cons
if team is good you don't feel 12 hours shift as a long day
Poor Management, Look somewhere else!!
Crew Lead (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 February 2017
The workers (railcar loaders) at my former site were great people and most of them were good workers. Management however was another story, employees were promoted to management positions because of the friendship they had with the promoting manager. Upper management and HR were never there when needed. Our HR rep always said "I am only a phone call away" however they never picked up their phone so no issues could ever be resolved or figured out. I was with the company for a long time and enjoyed working at the Imperial Oil site, but SGS as a company is awful. I would not recommend it to anyone or ever think of working for them again. There is ZERO support from upper managers and HR, not the way a company should conduct their business... As a first level supervisor, I was not allowed to discipline our railcar loaders because my manager did not want to upset the customer (Imperial Oil) and did not want to follow up with his manager on any issues/problems. Completely backwards way of running a site. If you want to work for a company that doesn't care about you, and is using you to get the job done then SGS is the place for you.
Pros
Fellow employees were nice
Cons
Poor management, No discipline, Do not value their employees, Disorganized
Geotechnical - Fort Mac
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 January 2017
SGS in Fort Mac has shut down. Congrats to all the folks in Calgary who managed to turn a $50m a year business in 2014 to an empty office with a handful of techs left to fend for themselves in the field. Well done boys!
Pros
Good money
Cons
Work life balance
Junior Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Cochrane, Ontario24 December 2016
busy atmosphere, enjoyable place of employment, room for growth, good salary, friendly people. Shift work a necessity and full time is available as well as overtime
No structure in place.
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Markham,On1 November 2016
Markham Location is not well structured. some employees are inundated with work and are going above and beyond their responsibilities, however managers take credit for their works and do not even appreciate them. unfair salaries and toxic work culture. incompetent managers who would do anything and i mean anything to save their jobs.

Want to know more about SGS?

Ask a question
A very valuable and educational experience.
Environmental Technologist - Short term contract (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB3 October 2016
For this position I was also required to travel out to site. The shifts were 12 hours a day, seven days on, seven days off, seven nights on, and seven nights off. I worked in a remote lab at the Suncor site. I was part of a team of three people. I was able to train new employees in the lab. I enjoyed the repetitiveness of the work. All of the laboratory equipment had to be calibrated before any work was done. Samples were brought to the lab by another contractor, I was required to organize and properly label each sample and then perform the required analysis. My work was accurate, efficient, and yielded the highest quality of results. I enjoyed being a part of my team, and work well with others. The hardest part of the job was being away for a week at a time.
Avoid if possible
Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB13 July 2016
Worked in Industrial business line in Alberta. Interesting work, great coworkers and technicians. Management in Calgary lack industry knowledge and competency. The VP is surrounded by yes men who don't have a clue. Definitely a company on the decline.
Pros
Global name
Cons
Inadequate leadership
sgs
grain inspector (Former Employee) –  Prince Rupert, BC6 July 2016
horrible management, poor working condition, No workers rights,
Daily tasks would be inspecting and weighting grain samples and various general labor duties.
good place to learn things for a beginner
Laboratory Analyst (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 March 2016
stressful and fast-pace environment
good place to learn skills
good place to get familiar with cGMP
Good management
Good people to work with
Great Work Environment
Team Manager/Supervisor/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC9 July 2015
Wonderful place to work, lots of room to advance, travel and expand your knowledge if you are willing to put in the work. The time I spent at this company was absolutely amazing and one of the best jobs I have ever had.
Pros
Training Given
Cons
sometimes bad hours
awful company to work for
loader (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, on16 June 2015
I have been on strike with Sgs in Sarnia on since March 21. They are an awful company that treat their employees like garbage. They have incompetent management that are hired because they are friends and family with no experience at their job. If you work in Sarnia you will be crossing a picket line.
Pros
Cons
management
negligent, irresponsible, ignorant and incompetent leadership
Railcar Loader/Dock Technician (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, On14 June 2015
I've read all the reviews and you can tell which ones were submitted by management personnel to combat the negativity. This company is a farce! People are in operations roles with no professional schooling or background and no one to control them. There's no accountability at an operations level as long as there are profits being made. I've dealt with many companies over the years and this one is by far the worst in every perspective. A company like this thrives off the despiration of their workers to get the job done at lower than industry standard compensation and treatment.
Cons
incompetent operation & hr group, no job stability
Avoid this company at all costs.
Railcar Loader/Dock Technician (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON7 May 2015
Management makes working for this company a terrible experience. Untrained and inexperienced. They harrass, bully and intimidate in order tovget their way. The jobs themselves are good jobs and would be great if they were for a better run company. At my location we have a workforce of about 35 employees most of whom actively seek new employment. There is too many lies from management to keep track of. If thinking of applying for a job with SGS, don't do it. You will regret working here.
Pros
Decent co-workers
Cons
Almost everything
worst company i have ever worked for
dock tech/rail car loader (Current Employee) –  sarnia24 April 2015
Nothing but lies from this company I wasted 7 years of my life to end up further behind in wage then my previous job.Managers half of my management staff is related by marriage and have no idea how to do the jobs that their employee's are doing. Just getting proper safety equipment is a chore. Favoritism and harassment seem to be the common management style as well as bulling tactics. The pay is well below industry standard.Everyone I work with is seeking other job opportunities.
Pros
Cons
pay/ management/lies/harassment
Poor working conditions
welding examiner (Former Employee) –  Edmonton Ludwig22 April 2015
very cheap company to work for was promised benefits when I was hired on never did get them. Had to complete all my new hire sign on documentation on my own time. Had work through coffee and lunch breaks never got any extra pay for it.Welding shop has nothing for tools. Had to supply all my own ppe company has bad attitude about safety.
Pros
Cons
cheap skates

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SGS. Our community is ready to answer.