SGS North America

SGS North America Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Stay the hell away
Former Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCJune 8, 2013
Pros: if you like to be treated unfairly
Cons: low wage, constantly shuffled around, cut your hours, no leadership from management
Poor and indecisive management led to many layoffs within the department and the cutting of hours for contract employees. If you are permanent full-time they will not cut your hours.

Personally in my case, if the work is slow and the department is not making money, they cut your hours with only one day notice. Got used and bounced around because I – more... was on contract. Attended department meetings only to be told to go back to work 1 minute in. Worst lab I ever worked at and I have been around – less
Well diversified Company, a pleasant, professional and fun work environment!
Recruitment Specialist (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMay 18, 2013
Pros: everything and anything
Cons: not applicable
I have been with SGS for over 2 years and I would definitely reccomend SGS as a great workplace. Great Colleagues, Professional Environment, Global Organization, Great staff and Management, Great competitive compensation package, strategic planning, ability to integrate with SGS Global, this company has been one of the most exciting and fun company – more... to work with.

I would definetely love to continue to work for such an organization!

We feel like superstars very and each day!

Avi – less
Poor management , bad work environment
A/c tech (Former Employee), Canada fort mcmurrayFebruary 20, 2013
Pros: pay is average
Cons: lack of integrity.
Pay is average
Shift can be good
Management , supervisors (Qa/Qc) positions are filled with employees who have been there the longest, and not filled by qualified personnel .
Numerous infractions regarding health and safety.
Integrity is preached but never practiced.
I would not recommend working at fort mcmurray location.
Watch out for poor management
Previous Employee (Former Employee), CanadaFebruary 1, 2013
Cons: management lacks leadership and direction; poor training
Poor working environment, fly by the seat of your pants management style with little to no training.
Lack of leadership and direction, employees shown very little respect.
High stress work with very limited reward. Beifits package is below average.
unstable and indecisive management
technician (Former Employee), canadaJanuary 29, 2013
Cons: employees are treated like mushrooms.
It seems that when you go on holidays you might return and find your job doesn't exist. Management displays lack of integrity.I would use this company as a last resort.
Management a HUGE liability
Loader (Current Employee), Sarnia, OntarioOctober 15, 2012
Pros: union is helping us fight back.
Cons: management, low pay
Management is unskilled, underqualified and continuously places us in unsafe conditions. They preach code of integrity but have no integrity of their own. Management has lied to their employees about everything from benefits to raises. The only reason I continue to work for SGS is because I haven't found another job yet. All these are reasons why the – more... SGS Sarnia site unionized. – less
Family type work place.
An Operations Manager (Former Employee), Memphis, TNOctober 21, 2014
Pros: each month the staff would be taken out for lunch to appreciate their services
Cons: answered the phone 7 days week.
I enjoyed working for them including all the staff.
We all got along. We are all team players who worked hard to keep our customers happy.
good company to work for
Lv ll Inspection Tech (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKOctober 15, 2014
Pros: good office to work for
Cons: wasnt with the company long enough to know all the cons
I learned some skills from working at this office. made some friends
On Call schedule
Field Inspector/Surveyor (Current Employee), Vallejo, CAOctober 14, 2014
Gauging of fuel and crude oil tanks on vessel's and in refineries. I work with only 2 guy's and were learning more safety awareness every day. When I do work, I really enjoy that im out doors a lot.
not a friendly place to work at, but the compensation is good.
Lab Technician (Former Employee), Deer Park, TXOctober 1, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: not very nice people to work with
The workers are not very friendly or respectful but the compensation for entry level is good.
Safe and Clean Chemical Plant
Petroleum Inspector (Current Employee), Baytown, TXSeptember 4, 2014
The main goal there is safety first. They care about your safety and you. Everybody there looks out for one another to make sure we all go home to our families.
Good Company
UT Technician NDT (Current Employee), Carson, CAJune 17, 2014
Pros: versatile experience/money
Cons: lack of work
Good Company...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Job security
Petro Chemical Surveyor (Current Employee), LouisianaMay 22, 2014
Pros: a very safety oriented company. company has great benefits.
Cons: very high demanding position, non competitive pay per experience
Very high demanding job. Employees need to multitask very often and keep up with high priority job tasks at different locations. Management tries to cope with being understaffed in a high job demanding market.
The hardest part of the job is employees have to multitask often and keep up with high demanding work loads without having any client delays.
The – more... most enjoyable part of the job is being able to be placed at certain locations that provide rotating shifts so employees/surveyors can have the opportunity to spend time with their families on weekends. – less
Nice co-workers
Laboratory Technician / Chemistry (Current Employee), East Chicago, IndianaApril 4, 2014
Pros: i enjoy the work
Cons: down time
Samplin coal and coke all day until time to leave. After a four hour wait for the samples to cook then processing begins.
mangement issues
Quality Control Lab Technician (Current Employee), Henderson, KYMarch 29, 2014
Pros: education
Cons: workplace moral
management issues, never help you solve issues, don't seemed concerned about issues with other employees
Fun and good work enviornment
Chemist (Current Employee), Austell, GAMarch 21, 2014
Great boss and fun place to work.
The only bad part is the smell of gasoline on your clothing that you return home with everyday.
Positive and friendly place to work.
Small number of employees at location.
Fresh out of school, entry level job
Surveyor (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: very good training, good benefits, good salary.
Cons: not suitable for a family life.
A typical day at work was receiving a phone call (it was on call work) and heading to the office & warehouse alone where you collected starting paperwork and all tools required for the job.

I learned personal responsibility a significant amount of math and a lot about the Petroleum culture in a business sense.

Management was very straight shooting, – more... I functioned best with no one looking over my shoulder and he helped me make that happen.

My co-workers I had minimal contact with except for training.

Hardest part was getting a call at 3AM to work for 8-10 hours, I have a family now and can't do that.

Most enjoyable part was the freedom. As long as you did your job up to and above standard you were praised and not bothered. – less
A place to get a paycheck
SMS Shipping and Receiving Specialist (Current Employee), Deer Park, TxJanuary 18, 2014
Got hired on in receiving, still in receiving can't get out. Not much training.
Fair
Engineer (Former Employee), Fairfield, NJDecember 3, 2013
Pros: not much
Cons: not much
As long as you do your job and deliver you are in good hands. Management can be really though.
new facility thats all
QA Laboratory chemist (Current Employee), Carteret NjNovember 5, 2013
Pros: nothing
Cons: no place for growth, we work 7 days schedules wit no overtime, no raises for 5 years
a typical working day starts with my shift, i learner almost everything need to work in the oil and gas testing from crude oil to all the refined products as per the ASTM methods.
management is the main problem in this company.
my shift mates are great we complete each other in a unique way we reached a point where the communication is minimal because – more... everybody knows exactly what his/ her part is.
the hardest part of the job is standing for many hours and working overtime without being paid for overtime.
the most enjoyable part is doing machine QC checks and trouble shooting the equipment – less

1 2 3

About SGS North America

SGS is the world's leading independent testing, inspection, verification and certification company in the world.