SGS North America

SGS North America Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Geotech
Geological technologist (Former Employee), Fort mcmurrayNovember 27, 2013
Pros: loa on your resume put an outside province address they won't tell you.
Cons: the whole management and work atmosphere
Worst company ever. Do yourself a favour and apply elsewhere.

They lied on my interview with the schedule and steady wage.

They will hire you and sit you home for there convenience .

Very poor management, runned by high school graduates. Most or all have no education.
Well diversified Company, a pleasant, professional and fun work environment!
Recruitment Specialist (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMay 18, 2013
Pros: everything and anything
Cons: not applicable
I have been with SGS for over 2 years and I would definitely reccomend SGS as a great workplace. Great Colleagues, Professional Environment, Global Organization, Great staff and Management, Great competitive compensation package, strategic planning, ability to integrate with SGS Global, this company has been one of the most exciting and fun company – more... to work with.

I would definetely love to continue to work for such an organization!

We feel like superstars very and each day!

Avi – less
Poor management , bad work environment
A/c tech (Former Employee), Canada fort mcmurrayFebruary 20, 2013
Pros: pay is average
Cons: lack of integrity.
Pay is average
Shift can be good
Management , supervisors (Qa/Qc) positions are filled with employees who have been there the longest, and not filled by qualified personnel .
Numerous infractions regarding health and safety.
Integrity is preached but never practiced.
I would not recommend working at fort mcmurray location.
Watch out for poor management
Previous Employee (Former Employee), CanadaFebruary 1, 2013
Cons: management lacks leadership and direction; poor training
Poor working environment, fly by the seat of your pants management style with little to no training.
Lack of leadership and direction, employees shown very little respect.
High stress work with very limited reward. Beifits package is below average.
unstable and indecisive management
technician (Former Employee), canadaJanuary 29, 2013
Cons: employees are treated like mushrooms.
It seems that when you go on holidays you might return and find your job doesn't exist. Management displays lack of integrity.I would use this company as a last resort.
Management a HUGE liability
Loader (Current Employee), Sarnia, OntarioOctober 15, 2012
Pros: union is helping us fight back.
Cons: management, low pay
Management is unskilled, underqualified and continuously places us in unsafe conditions. They preach code of integrity but have no integrity of their own. Management has lied to their employees about everything from benefits to raises. The only reason I continue to work for SGS is because I haven't found another job yet. All these are reasons why the – more... SGS Sarnia site unionized. – less
Good Company
UT Technician NDT (Current Employee), Carson, CAJune 17, 2014
Pros: versatile experience/money
Cons: lack of work
Good Company...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Job security
Petro Chemical Surveyor (Current Employee), LouisianaMay 22, 2014
Pros: a very safety oriented company. company has great benefits.
Cons: very high demanding position, non competitive pay per experience
Very high demanding job. Employees need to multitask very often and keep up with high priority job tasks at different locations. Management tries to cope with being understaffed in a high job demanding market.
The hardest part of the job is employees have to multitask often and keep up with high demanding work loads without having any client delays.
The – more... most enjoyable part of the job is being able to be placed at certain locations that provide rotating shifts so employees/surveyors can have the opportunity to spend time with their families on weekends. – less
Nice co-workers
Laboratory Technician / Chemistry (Current Employee), East Chicago, IndianaApril 4, 2014
Pros: i enjoy the work
Cons: down time
Samplin coal and coke all day until time to leave. After a four hour wait for the samples to cook then processing begins.
mangement issues
Quality Control Lab Technician (Current Employee), Henderson, KYMarch 29, 2014
Pros: education
Cons: workplace moral
management issues, never help you solve issues, don't seemed concerned about issues with other employees
Fun and good work enviornment
Chemist (Current Employee), Austell, GAMarch 21, 2014
Great boss and fun place to work.
The only bad part is the smell of gasoline on your clothing that you return home with everyday.
Positive and friendly place to work.
Small number of employees at location.
Fresh out of school, entry level job
Surveyor (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: very good training, good benefits, good salary.
Cons: not suitable for a family life.
A typical day at work was receiving a phone call (it was on call work) and heading to the office & warehouse alone where you collected starting paperwork and all tools required for the job.

I learned personal responsibility a significant amount of math and a lot about the Petroleum culture in a business sense.

Management was very straight shooting, – more... I functioned best with no one looking over my shoulder and he helped me make that happen.

My co-workers I had minimal contact with except for training.

Hardest part was getting a call at 3AM to work for 8-10 hours, I have a family now and can't do that.

Most enjoyable part was the freedom. As long as you did your job up to and above standard you were praised and not bothered. – less
A place to get a paycheck
SMS Shipping and Receiving Specialist (Current Employee), Deer Park, TxJanuary 18, 2014
Got hired on in receiving, still in receiving can't get out. Not much training.
Fair
Engineer (Former Employee), Fairfield, NJDecember 3, 2013
Pros: not much
Cons: not much
As long as you do your job and deliver you are in good hands. Management can be really though.
new facility thats all
QA Laboratory chemist (Current Employee), Carteret NjNovember 5, 2013
Pros: nothing
Cons: no place for growth, we work 7 days schedules wit no overtime, no raises for 5 years
a typical working day starts with my shift, i learner almost everything need to work in the oil and gas testing from crude oil to all the refined products as per the ASTM methods.
management is the main problem in this company.
my shift mates are great we complete each other in a unique way we reached a point where the communication is minimal because – more... everybody knows exactly what his/ her part is.
the hardest part of the job is standing for many hours and working overtime without being paid for overtime.
the most enjoyable part is doing machine QC checks and trouble shooting the equipment – less
Best job I've ever had!
Cargo Technician (Former Employee), Deer Park, TXOctober 31, 2013
Pros: co-workers, managment, very challenging
OGC.
You're always on the go, on call 24/7, traveling, working with many foreigners, under mostly bad weather.
Great feeling when you get the job done no matter the circumstances.
Best management team from the supervisor to the director.
Steady Work, With Great Employees
Chemical Loader (Former Employee), TXOctober 7, 2013
Awesome company, with minor glitches on the management side.
Certification and Inspection Services
Accounting Manager, Agriculture/Environmental (Former Employee), Rutherford, NJOctober 2, 2013
In my last position at SGS I learned more than in any other positions I have held. Everything from fringes, budgeting & forecasting on an in-depth level. Monthly analysis reports analyzing trends & variances and suggesting procedures for improvement.

At SGS, one accountant was solely responsible for their individual company. Although this was at some – more... times overwhelming, it enabled me to see the whole picture of the companies I worked with.

The hardest part was the month end process was only 2 days, which at times wasn't enough time to do as much of an analysis as I felt should be done. We normally worked about 15 hour days during the month end and with commuting 2 hours a day was taxing.

I loved the people I worked with and what I learned but I didn't feel the fit was right. – less
Challenging day to day at work.
FIELD SERVICES INSPECTION COORDINATOR (Former Employee), Fairfield, NJOctober 1, 2013
The responsibilites enhances employees skills and knowledge.
OMG!!
Petroleum Inspector (Current Employee), Texas City, TXSeptember 24, 2013
Pros: getting to go home and see your family sometimes.
Cons: employees treated like dirt all the time.
Do not work for this place! Unorginized, no communication, no care for employees,

About SGS North America

SGS provides inspection, verification, testing and certification services. With more than 64,000 employees, SGS operates of over – Read more