SGS North America

SGS North America Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Stay the hell away
Former Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCJune 8, 2013
Pros: if you like to be treated unfairly
Cons: low wage, constantly shuffled around, cut your hours, no leadership from management
Poor and indecisive management led to many layoffs within the department and the cutting of hours for contract employees. If you are permanent full-time they will not cut your hours.

Personally in my case, if the work is slow and the department is not making money, they cut your hours with only one day notice. Got used and bounced around because I – more... was on contract. Attended department meetings only to be told to go back to work 1 minute in. Worst lab I ever worked at and I have been around – less
Well diversified Company, a pleasant, professional and fun work environment!
Recruitment Specialist (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMay 18, 2013
Pros: everything and anything
Cons: not applicable
I have been with SGS for over 2 years and I would definitely reccomend SGS as a great workplace. Great Colleagues, Professional Environment, Global Organization, Great staff and Management, Great competitive compensation package, strategic planning, ability to integrate with SGS Global, this company has been one of the most exciting and fun company – more... to work with.

I would definetely love to continue to work for such an organization!

We feel like superstars very and each day!

Avi – less
Poor management , bad work environment
A/c tech (Former Employee), Canada fort mcmurrayFebruary 20, 2013
Pros: pay is average
Cons: lack of integrity.
Pay is average
Shift can be good
Management , supervisors (Qa/Qc) positions are filled with employees who have been there the longest, and not filled by qualified personnel .
Numerous infractions regarding health and safety.
Integrity is preached but never practiced.
I would not recommend working at fort mcmurray location.
Watch out for poor management
Previous Employee (Former Employee), CanadaFebruary 1, 2013
Cons: management lacks leadership and direction; poor training
Poor working environment, fly by the seat of your pants management style with little to no training.
Lack of leadership and direction, employees shown very little respect.
High stress work with very limited reward. Beifits package is below average.
unstable and indecisive management
technician (Former Employee), canadaJanuary 29, 2013
Cons: employees are treated like mushrooms.
It seems that when you go on holidays you might return and find your job doesn't exist. Management displays lack of integrity.I would use this company as a last resort.
Management a HUGE liability
Loader (Current Employee), Sarnia, OntarioOctober 15, 2012
Pros: union is helping us fight back.
Cons: management, low pay
Management is unskilled, underqualified and continuously places us in unsafe conditions. They preach code of integrity but have no integrity of their own. Management has lied to their employees about everything from benefits to raises. The only reason I continue to work for SGS is because I haven't found another job yet. All these are reasons why the – more... SGS Sarnia site unionized. – less
Nice co-workers
Laboratory Technician / Chemistry (Current Employee), East Chicago, IndianaApril 4, 2014
Pros: i enjoy the work
Cons: down time
Samplin coal and coke all day until time to leave. After a four hour wait for the samples to cook then processing begins.
mangement issues
Quality Control Lab Technician (Current Employee), Henderson, KYMarch 29, 2014
Pros: education
Cons: workplace moral
management issues, never help you solve issues, don't seemed concerned about issues with other employees
Fun and good work enviornment
Chemist (Current Employee), Austell, GAMarch 21, 2014
Great boss and fun place to work.
The only bad part is the smell of gasoline on your clothing that you return home with everyday.
Positive and friendly place to work.
Small number of employees at location.
Fresh out of school, entry level job
Surveyor (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: very good training, good benefits, good salary.
Cons: not suitable for a family life.
A typical day at work was receiving a phone call (it was on call work) and heading to the office & warehouse alone where you collected starting paperwork and all tools required for the job.

I learned personal responsibility a significant amount of math and a lot about the Petroleum culture in a business sense.

Management was very straight shooting, – more... I functioned best with no one looking over my shoulder and he helped me make that happen.

My co-workers I had minimal contact with except for training.

Hardest part was getting a call at 3AM to work for 8-10 hours, I have a family now and can't do that.

Most enjoyable part was the freedom. As long as you did your job up to and above standard you were praised and not bothered. – less
A place to get a paycheck
SMS Shipping and Receiving Specialist (Current Employee), Deer Park, TxJanuary 18, 2014
Got hired on in receiving, still in receiving can't get out. Not much training.
Fair
Engineer (Former Employee), Fairfield, NJDecember 3, 2013
Pros: not much
Cons: not much
As long as you do your job and deliver you are in good hands. Management can be really though.
new facility thats all
QA Laboratory chemist (Current Employee), Carteret NjNovember 5, 2013
Pros: nothing
Cons: no place for growth, we work 7 days schedules wit no overtime, no raises for 5 years
a typical working day starts with my shift, i learner almost everything need to work in the oil and gas testing from crude oil to all the refined products as per the ASTM methods.
management is the main problem in this company.
my shift mates are great we complete each other in a unique way we reached a point where the communication is minimal because – more... everybody knows exactly what his/ her part is.
the hardest part of the job is standing for many hours and working overtime without being paid for overtime.
the most enjoyable part is doing machine QC checks and trouble shooting the equipment – less
Best job I've ever had!
Cargo Technician (Former Employee), Deer Park, TXOctober 31, 2013
Pros: co-workers, managment, very challenging
OGC.
You're always on the go, on call 24/7, traveling, working with many foreigners, under mostly bad weather.
Great feeling when you get the job done no matter the circumstances.
Best management team from the supervisor to the director.
Steady Work, With Great Employees
Chemical Loader (Former Employee), TXOctober 7, 2013
Awesome company, with minor glitches on the management side.
Certification and Inspection Services
Accounting Manager, Agriculture/Environmental (Former Employee), Rutherford, NJOctober 2, 2013
In my last position at SGS I learned more than in any other positions I have held. Everything from fringes, budgeting & forecasting on an in-depth level. Monthly analysis reports analyzing trends & variances and suggesting procedures for improvement.

At SGS, one accountant was solely responsible for their individual company. Although this was at some – more... times overwhelming, it enabled me to see the whole picture of the companies I worked with.

The hardest part was the month end process was only 2 days, which at times wasn't enough time to do as much of an analysis as I felt should be done. We normally worked about 15 hour days during the month end and with commuting 2 hours a day was taxing.

I loved the people I worked with and what I learned but I didn't feel the fit was right. – less
Challenging day to day at work.
FIELD SERVICES INSPECTION COORDINATOR (Former Employee), Fairfield, NJOctober 1, 2013
The responsibilites enhances employees skills and knowledge.
OMG!!
Petroleum Inspector (Current Employee), Texas City, TXSeptember 24, 2013
Pros: getting to go home and see your family sometimes.
Cons: employees treated like dirt all the time.
Do not work for this place! Unorginized, no communication, no care for employees,
good
Lead petroleum inspector (Current Employee), deer park txSeptember 21, 2013
• Physically sample, measure and take temperatures of vessel tanks and shore tanks utilizing a variety of methods dictated by API procedures
• Calculate and report quantities transferred and perform full reconciliation of same
• Create extensive time logs
• Work in cooperation with client representatives, U.S. customs, vessel personal, government agents – more... and shore terminal personal
• Gauge shore tanks, barges and vessels
• Loss control
• Coordinating with clients
• Key meetings with vessel personal – less
Large company Good Benefits Horribly Managed
Off Lease Inspector (Current Employee), PhiladephiaAugust 18, 2013
Automotive division for lease inspection is horribly managed. DO NOT take this job. You will put an extraordinary amount of wear and tear traveling from place to place. The mileage compensation is not enough. If you do take this position make sure everything is in writing and ask questions. They will give you one job description and then when you get – more... in they will have you traveling extensively (more than what was explained during the interview) They have some people traveling over 2.5 hours away from their home. Management is incompetent. Ask them questions and they don't get back to you.
The company preaches about Code of Ethics....Management does follow. Ethics starts with being honest. Once you're in the position they will tell you you have to do things and if you question them their answer is well thats the job. DO NOT TAKE THIS JOB!!!!!! – less

About SGS North America

SGS provides inspection, verification, testing and certification services. With more than 64,000 employees, SGS operates of over – Read more

SGS North America Photos