Servus Credit Union Employee Reviews in Canada

Busy environment
Electronic Information Officer (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, ABApril 1, 2016
I worked here on a six month contract in the imaging department. Here we would scan all loan documents, eg car loans, mortgages etc.

Working here eased me back into the office work place environment after having worked from home.

The management were very nice and helpful, and the co-workers were friendly and accepting, considering I had come from a different country.

The hardest part of the job was the fact that the job was extremely repetitive.

The most enjoyable part of the job, was that the job was very stress free.
Pros
Good company benefits/.
Cons
This job was repetitive.
positive ethics and overall great company.
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABNovember 24, 2015
Servus Credit Union is a fantastic company with in itself with good intentions. Unfortunately they tend to let bad management slide way too often. especially at the northgate branch in Grande Prairie.
Pros
great benefits, positive outlook, send you for training and pay for it.
Cons
Terrible management, unrealistic expectations, very hard to get time off.
Helping your community grow
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Stony Plain, ABApril 20, 2016
The job requires you to be flexible and friendly. You must be observant and able to help the members you see.
You learn a lot about finances and how the banking world works.
You deal with a lot of different types of individuals all day. You must be able to be friendly and adapt to each different situation.
Its a team player driven environment.
The best part is working with friendly, great people and being part of a community.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
High Stress
flexible working hours
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 24, 2016
I learned a lot of things cause that is my first work experience in Accounting in Canada. My team lead and co-workers are very helpful.
Pros
Flexible work time
enjoyable work
union Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABNovember 16, 2015
I enjoyed my work with the credit union. I had to multi task through paper work and daily duties such as balancing and audit of atm and treasury as well as serving members with there daily banking. I would book appointments and help people with very unique financial situations. I had a great management team who were great coaches and leaders.

a hard part of the job would be an angry or upset member, but i would do my best to resolve the situation, either on my own or with management assistance. majority of the time it would be resolved and the member would leave satisfied.
friendly culture, everyone teams up for challenging tasks n supports each other
QA Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 20, 2016
its a good place to work with people working as a team . you get to face challenges everyday which help you grow . timings are flexible
Pros
friendly culture
Good company
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 23, 2016
Lots of advancement opportunity. Fantastic culture. Very community involved. Fun company to work for.
Very well balanced company
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  High River, ABJanuary 5, 2016
Extremely positive co-workers, I learned about financial planning, management was encouraging and supportive. The most enjoyable part of the job was directing clients with financial solutions appropriate to thier needs.
Pros
Respectable workplace
Cons
Sales demand requirements
Awesome
IS system operator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 17, 2016
Its a nice friendly working environment. I enjoy working at Servus Credit Union as it is simply one big happy family. We try to be the best we can be and deliver outstanding customer satisfaction.
Awesome staff and friendly
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, ABMarch 6, 2016
I worked full time which started at 7:30-8 am. I worked with numerous staff and made sure we all got along well. I enjoy working with the public and love to help people. A very well managed company. The hardest part was leaving the company. I love the people.
Great Corporate Values however Internal Operations, Management and Structure are something to be desired
IT/QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 6, 2015
I totally believe in the corporate values of Servus Credit Union and the services it provides both to its Members and the Community. This was why I mainly chose Servus as an employer. However the internal management structure and career growth is something to be desired.

Don't work in anything QA/IT related as turnover is high, management is constantly changing and the people who have been there for a long time will be barriers to your career progression as I felt they were always trying to set me up for failure or do not like when new people have more potential than they do. It really felt like high school trying to compete with co-workers all the time. Shouldn’t an organization promote co-operative and group work in being effective and efficient? This was mainly why I could not progress further in this organization.

Furthermore, HR will not support any career development and/or their "steps" and policies to move up in salary grade is quite laughable. I constantly had to follow-up with HR and management regarding my progression. After more than a year, I had finally moved up a step which was a minimal increase to what I was making. Don’t get me wrong, I consistently overachieved in my role receiving awards as well as other recognitions. However, these rarely contribute to moving up in the company and an increase in salary.

Similarly, the bonus structure is also something to be desired. The difference between an overachiever employee versus an employee that doesn’t do much work is only merely a few hundred bucks. So then you ask yourself, is it really worth it to
  more... give 110% or just do sufficient work? Remember, any bonus is taxed at a marginal tax rate over and above your salary so that few hundred bucks becomes significantly lower when given out. The effort to reward ratio is probably 4:1. In comparison, my current employment (which is no longer at Servus), I have already moved up 2 salary grades within a year as my work is being recognized and being rewarded accordingly. They are now willing to invest in further in my education and training. Something that NEVER occurred at Servus .

Don’t get me wrong, I have met some amazing people while working there and not all areas are like this. Branch staff are super nice and friendly, other operational areas in SCC are incredibly well run and managed. Brilliant people do exist there however in the area I worked, it seems like it was more of an interim/transitional place once the shortfalls were realized as well as to gain experience before people had leaped forward to another employer.

If you do decide to do anything IT related there, my advice is to do your research and look at industry standards in terms of education/wage and use it to bargain hard. Ensure that you clearly define your expectations both short and long term. Then when things go sour, you have this all documented, signed and can hold the organization to those plans (assuming you have met the company’s expectations of yourself).

Good luck, perhaps you’ll have better luck than I have had.

Note: You actually get good rates being an employee (ie. loans, reduced services fees, mortgage) however with low rates now, it really isn't much of a savings.
Pros
SCC is a nice building, free parking
Cons
Management, competitive salary, HR policies, career advancement
Great work/life balance with opportunity to move up.
Senior Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  Commercial Services Group Edmonton, ABSeptember 10, 2015
Servus is a great place to work if you appreciate work life balance and opportunity.

If you work hard and excel at your job, advancement is awarded in positions.

The only downside is the technology as it is not up to date with what it could be.
Excellent and exciting place to work
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABJanuary 20, 2016
I left t have my family and desperately wish I had stayed as servus was by far the best employer I have ever had the priviledge of working for
Servus Credit Union is a brillient company to work for
Teller/Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Suffield, ABDecember 2, 2015
I enjoy every part of my job & will be sorry to leave. I am only looking for another job due to my family relocating & Servus have no jobs available in that area.
Good place to grow
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  EdmontonJuly 13, 2014
Many good years at Servus.

Ability to move around and change career directions within this company.

Excellent benefits plans and pay.
Working for Servus Credit Union
System Administrator I (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABSeptember 2, 2015
A typical day at Servus Credit Union consisted of working with the infrastructure team to manage backups and branch location servers to very everything stayed online and was backed up successfully. Some of the challenges were some of the older hardware that would fail and some of the politics around certifications.
Not a very responsible corporation
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  High River, AlbertaJanuary 11, 2014
They tend to invest in your training "initially" which naturally costs to recruit & train but they drop the ball in the "retain" part. They shy away from investing further into their existing employees financially to take courses (internal as well as external training). They say you can learn and grow and have a career there but in my experience, that definately isn't so. Therefore, if you are looking to grow with a company or in the finance world, I suggest look elsewhere as Servus isn't it. This company is an unethical organization with little integrity, after working here, I wouldn't even recommend being a "member" let alone an employee. Do as little as possible for their members and employees.
Pros
no pros
Cons
gossip, malicious, lazy and uncreative, high fees and unorganized.
really unfortunate
teller (Former Employee) –  edmontonFebruary 20, 2015
Servus provides a month of training for their newly hired MSRs. That's great, but the rest is an utter disappointment. For once, they make you think that banks treat their clients as if they are nobody's. This is so untrue as I once worked for one of the Big 5. Second, the operating system tellers are using is the slowest most dated system I have ever seen. Coming from one of the Big 5, I literally had to dumb myself in order to understand their system. Another thing is, tellers use no pinpads. As tellers, we are mandated to ask the client for their D/L everytime they are in branch. And so, if a client is in the branch for 10 times that day, he will have to give his D/L ten times; that is what we were told. And another thing, they say that they treat their employees and their clients way better. If it is so, how come that when 15 tellers were newly hired, only one is full-time. A very horrible workplace.
Cons
unfair treatment
Servus Credit Union
Snr Project Manager, Portfolio Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 9, 2014
The company lacks of strong leadership (in particular in the IT and PMO departments) which makes it difficult for project manager to understand their accountability and to manage successfully projects. A lot of politics and lack of recognition of individual's performance provides demotivates project teams to deliver
Pros
very nice collegues
Cons
lack of leadership, lack of personal career development
Sales Culture in all banks
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 17, 2015
Would work from 8:00 to 5:00. Some saturdays were required. Long hours and stress in sales goals was the status quo. Still a nice company to work for managers helped with sales problems and work life balance was stressed.